Where were you 11 yrs ago today 9-11

Options

Replies

• resa820
    resa820 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was in 9th grade gym doing physical fitness testing when a messenger said my dad was there to pick me up. I changed and went to meet him and he said "The world is ending today, it's finally happening." Obviously a bit grim, but my mom got my younger sister and my stepdad, grandma, and older sister joined us at my dad's to watch the coverage. I was home in time to see the second plane hit and the towers fall. Somethings you'll never forget.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    On the subway under the World Trade Center at 8:46am when the whole underground shook, lights went out and the train stopped. I had to walk out of the city since all transportation was halted while I saw damn toursits laughing and taking pictures of the flames and rubble.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I am in tears reading all your stories. Truly this event affected and changed lives world-wide.

I was getting ready for work, I was an admin for a financial planner. I watched the news coverage as the 2nd tower was hit. Shock and disbelief. The next days at work were surreal as the stock market was closed, nerve-wracking the day it reopened, wondering if financial institutions in general would be targeted putting us at risk, scared clients calling. And I remember being angry at how they were so concerned about losing money - many of them with more money than they could spend in a lifetime even with the market plunging - when so many lives had been lost horribly...

It was the first time I grasped that some people hate us simply because we are Americans...

9/11 is also my stepdaughter's birthday, and I am saddened that for the rest of her life her birthday celebration will always be a little somber because of the memory of this horrific event. God have mercy on our souls.
  • tjohnson1920
    Options
    I was in my sophmore year of college @ The University of West Alabama and as usual I rolled out of bed and I never turned on the TV because I didn't want to wake my roommate. I took a shower and got dressed like any other day. I saw people walking around campus and it seemed normal. My class that morning was in a buiding next to my dorm and when I got there everyone had these looks on their faces that I cannot explain. as we walked into class the TV was on and I felt like I was in a movie and this was not happening. My heart went out to all those that were in the WTC and to their families. My heart also went out to the responders and people that were standing by.
  • brandalini
    brandalini Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I was 15 years old, woke up to have breakfast with my cousins before school and we all heard on the news together.
  • WritePaintDance
    WritePaintDance Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had just walked in my Marketing class and everyone was in dismay. I asked what was going on and they told me about the NY, PA and DC. I was in shock. My instructor advised that I go home and be with my loved one. I went straight to my son's school and checked him out. He was only 7 years old at the time. I went to my grandma's and we all watched the news. That was a very sad day.. I can still feel the pain like it was yesterday. My ex-boyfriend was in the service, stationed in Richmond, VA. He was sent to NY to help. After that mission, he was never the same. It affected him greatly.
  • maddiec1989
    maddiec1989 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I was at school and just starting seventh grade. I remember all the kids discussing rumours they heard during recess about what had happened. When I came home, I put on cnn, and was just glued to the television in horror.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    My husband woke me up to take our son to school & as I stumbled out into the family room, I glanced at the TV to see the first tower burning. I thought my husband had a movie on & asked what movie it was. He told me that it wasn't a movie. So then I wondered where this was taking place (not reading the scrolling messages at the bottom of the screen) & asked him. He told me NY. I thought I had not heard him correctly because thing like this do NOT happen in this country. From that point on I stood there completely numb, staring at the TV. I also called my son in sick because there way no way I was taking him to school> I couldn't stop my husband from going to work (he's a deputy sheriff) but I could keep my son with me that day.
  • heygurlheyyyy
    heygurlheyyyy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was stuck in traffic on my way to work. I was working around Baltimore, MD at the time, but was on my way to a different location in Washington, DC. I picked a fine day to head to DC! Heard about the first plane on the radio and didn't think much of it other than what a horrible aviation mistake that was! When the second plane hit, I changed over to AM radio as I wasn't sure if I could trust the local rock station. Finally made it to work sometime around the time the Pentagon was hit. We did not have internet access or radio access and had to rely on passers-by to get info. We received reports that the Capitol building was hit, Capitol was bombed, car bombs going off near gov't buildings and alll sorts of other horrible information that luckily was not true. We were far enough out of city center that the few of us that were in the office decided to remain there for a few hours to let the traffic die down. I didn't get home until about 4 pm and that was the first time I saw any images of what happened. It was far worse than I had imagined.
  • Peachy_T
    Peachy_T Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was sitting on my sofa breastfeeding my 3-week-old baby. I sat in disbelief, wondering what kind of world my newborn son would grow up in. I cried and prayed, prayed and cried.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I was in 11th grade, and since I lived in Central time, the first plane hit during 1st period, which was Marching Band practice for me. It was a small school, so the 11th grade band members all had 2nd period together too (it was our History class and was only offered 1st and 2nd periods). When we walked into the halls to get to class, there was a lot of people all talking and we were very confused about what was going on. Then we sat down in class, and the TV was on (this teacher never had the TV on!) and the teacher said, "We're watching this today. This is history."
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I had slept in and when I got up, I turned on the tv and there was the North Tower smoking. I first thought, Oh geez...a fire up there? How are they going get that out? But as I listened I heard what had really happened...but at that point, it was thought to be just a horrible accident....till the South Tower got hit the same way. Then it was obvious it was no accident. I sat there most of the day watching it all happen live. I couldn't believe it.
  • mdtuba5
    mdtuba5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was at a conference in Vermont during the morning with people in the television industry. We were told during breakfast that a plane had hit the tower. A woman who worked for a public television station in NY screamed (I later found out that their broadcast offices were at the top of the towers). When the second plane hit, all of us rushed to the local airport to try and get back home. I remember seeing the F-16s from the Vermont Air National Guard sitting on the runway with their engines screaming, waiting to take off...one of the loudest sounds I ever heard. I rented a car and drove from Vermont back to my home outside of DC that day, finding out that my brother in law (stationed at the Pentagon) was safe. I remember passing miles outside of NYC hours after the attack and still seeing smoke billow into the sky.

I joined the Department of Homeland Security soon after and am proudly here to this day.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Here at work... listening to the radio reports.....and then watching the TV in one of the public waiting areas ( I work in a medical facility) . My coworker was afraid for her sister who was in the reserves and likely to be called out. I am a medical receptionist, and trying to answer phones that day in a normal manner was nearly impossible. We still had many *normal* calls that had to be taken care of, but my mind, spirit and heart were SO distracted....I was praying half the day.

I was very worried about friends and family ( I grew up an hour from NYC, in NJ) My dad drove limos at the time and was worried he might be in the city as he often was. My stepsiblings dad WAS in the city...not far from there we found out later. I also found out later that my mom had been offered a job IN one of the insurance companies in the towers just a few weeks prior. Had she told me about the job, I would have encouraged her to take it as a *great opportunity*. Had she taken that job, my mother likely would have been in the buiildings when it went down. ONE man from that company left the building when it all started. I beleive he was the ONLY survivor from that company.

My aunt USED to work in the towers years ago....she spoke of how they used to watch the sky from the large banks of windows... I have friends who were in one of the buildings nearby the night prior ( a church I believe) doing a choral performance.

It was all way too close to *home* for me...and I scoured the name lists for weeks..... wondering about people I had gone to school with etc...

My heart goes out to ALL who lost loved ones that day, and to the survivors.... I was reading this morning about the many brave first responders....and how many of them are now so sick from the dust. Brave, courageous...those words do not begin to exemplify them. There is a lot of evil in this world...but they way people responded so unselfishly to such an unspeakable act shows that there is also a lot of bravery, and love out there too.

Never forget to tell someone you love them... you never know what the next moment may bring.....
  • Terryj20
    Options
    Holding my newborn son wondering what kind of world I had brought him in to.
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It was my one month anniversary, I woke at 930 turned on the tv and watched it all unfold on television it was very surreal. I remember wondering where is the president? I also remember my startac Motorola flip phone had switched over to analog signal and I couldn't even receive phone calls all day.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I was at work completely oblivious until I attempted to place an order and was told the awful news by a vendor. The boss and I spent the rest of the day watching the news on television.
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Scared out of my mind in NYC - BAD day!

We lost 6 people on our block, including a close friend who called from within the 2nd tower. 11 years later I can still recall that day and the desperation I felt.
  • tbskipp
    tbskipp Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was 29 and working at a University here in NC, east coast. My co-worker got a call from her brother who was driving thru NYC at the time, he told her he just saw a plane hit one of the towers. Pretty soon we all knew what was unfolding. Naturally no one could get on the internet to see the news. We did have a TV in our conference room to watch it all unfold.
    Like many others have said, we all just sat there in silence. Dumbfounded.
    I travelled to NYC with my best friend 2 months later. There were still plenty of flyers up in business windows of Manhattan for missing loved ones.

Today the weather is exactly the same here on the east coast as it was 11 years ago. And it was a Tuesday. Cool, clear, beautiful day. I am grateful to God that no one i know personally was hurt or killed that day. ALL of our lives, no matter where you are, were affected by the events of that day. And will always have an impact.

I hope my 6 yr old daughter never has to watch something like this unfold.
  • shipshape55
    shipshape55 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The kids had left for school an I was watching the news on Fox news. Sept 11 also happens to be one of my sisters birthday. God bless us all and Happy Birthday Sis