Heavy lifters, do you get offended when...?

1234568»

Replies

• GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    275lb x 5 Squat
    335lb x 5 Deadlift , 405lb x 5 Deadlift

150lb Bodyweight

Come at me
    I would, but I'm pretty sure you'd break.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    I think the issue isn't people lifting "heavy". There is a neuro-muscular and genetic component to strength and what is "heavy" to each person. There is going to be a point where I will no longer be able to lift any heavier than I can after "years" of lifting because I maxed out my genetic potential and deal with aging in the process.

The real issue is people bragging, insecurity, and egotism. Egotism annoys me. Most often than not people have to brag to self-inflate their ego because they are insecure.

Agreed! Those that brag is what irks me the most. Those who put in 100% effort, yearn for progress and to be fit, and are humble have my utmost respect.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Oh, goody! It's my favorite MFP antagonist! :tongue: You've been "off the grid" lately. What's up?
    You must have me confused with some other overwhelmingly brilliant, devastatingly handsome, meathead lawyer. ;)

I didn't know there was more than one of you out there. :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • No because heavy is relative to each individual.

I agree with this. I am pretty weak to others standards, yet I think the number pounds I use are pretty heavy :P
    I know some people laugh when I drop 15 lbs. to the ground, but that is just as hard to me as 50 lbs. is to the next person. According to that website I am untrained or novice and I have been lifting for 1 1/2 years.

If you have been lifting for a year and a half and 15 lbs is heavy for you in any capacity, you're doing something wrong. No offense, but that's just a fact.

That's my point. How can one consider 15 lbs heavy after 1.5 years? If they've been progressing, what did they begin with, 1 lb?

haha 15 lbs. is just an example :P I started lifting when I was 92 pounds to try and gain some weight. I started curling with 5 lbs. yah i know, I was the weakest person on earth. haha I am up to 20, bicep curling wise.

edit: 1.5 years includes the 3 times I have been injured
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Bodybuilders aren't strong enough to be power lifters.

Power lifters are too fat to be body builders.

thats a joke right?

No, this is true. My boyfriend was a bodybuilder in his early 20's. Hardly any body fat, muscular as in you could see all of his muscle but not a lot of muscle mass. Then in his mid 20's he began training completely different and competed in international power lifting competitions as a middle weight benching 705 lbs. He put on 130 lbs. His body fat percentage went up along with the muscle mass.

A diet of a body builder and a power lifter are incredibly different.

Now he looks more like a power lifter but isn't near as strong as he once was. He's benching about 550 now at 215 lbs. He's sexy. I love him :)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    I guess not, I started 'lifting heavy' about 3 months ago. My squat has increased from 15kg to 72.5, and my deadlift from 15kg to 77.5kg (hoping to hit 80 tomorrow). Upper body is varied and has gone down at the moment (OHP 22.5kg, bench 35kg and row 25kg) due to a shoulder injury, but theyre getting there. I'd be considered a novice by time limits, but I'm working hard to increase my strength.
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Lol on the squats/Dl's I am between intermediate and advanced, feelsgoodman only been lifting for 2 months after not lifting for 4ish years

On my bench/overhead press feelsbadman between untrained and novince and clsoer to the untrained side lol. Where did all my uperbody strength go over the years fuark.