I don't even know what Title to give this.

Options

Replies

• LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    He cannot punish your job status and/or hours because of a personal relationship that is ending. That is sexual harassment and he knows it. Do not be bullied into staying in this relationship for fears of losing your job.

YEP!! You are gorgeous, smart, and obviously dedicated to making your present and future happen for you. DON'T let him hold you back. I don't know why some men can't stand the thought of women going to college (ESPECIALLY if he is educated himself). I have several EX-boyfriends like that. It sounds like he may be rethinking things anyway. Counseling is your last bet unless you wanna become his whipping-post; it looks like that is where you are headed if things stay on the current track. It's so nice of you (for him, not you) to skip college so you can work so hard to pay his alimony and debts... You're right- that is not right. There are grants and loans out there that make college easier to afford as well (I'm 35 and a senior going for a bachelor's degree in business). PLEASE do go through college while you're still young! You can do it, and you will find a way to afford it, and you will be personally stronger and more successful if you do.

Cry it out and get out, love. I stayed with the (older) man I got together with at the age of 16 and it is my one big regret in life- I wasted 13 years with him and life began when I got out of that situation. I learned how to be single and enjoy it, and now I'm with the best man I could have ever dreamed up for myself- he is supportive and would never get in the way of my personal goals.

Feel free to tell the guy that he can cut your shifts if he wants a lawsuit for sexual harassment ;) Document everything as well so you'll have a case if you end up going that way. Even if you would never do that- he doesn't have to know it. The fact that you know you can could very well be enough.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been diagnosed or questioned about being depressed or having anger issues? I am not asking to be mean but it was my first thought and based on my teenaged years.

Oh and as for this guy- get out, get away, find someone your own age that doesnt have an ex-wife and possibly a GF on the side.
  • JRaeZins
    JRaeZins Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Go to college!! Be with someone that supports your dreams and desires. You need that in life and that is what a real partner will do. You aren't alone! Just look at all the people responding to you, let that be your encouragement. Go for it and have no regrets! Live the life that you dream.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If you were my niece (she's 18), I'd tell you:

If you want to go to college, go to college. You are 19 and should be living the life you want to live, not one dictated to you. Move out, live meagerly, let him pay his debts and alimony, and you save up for school. Go to school next fall, start applying now (schools just started accepting applications for fall semester 2013). If you need to accrue debt to pay for school (loans) then accrue debt to pay for school, just get your *kitten* in school. You're too young to be paying (financially or otherwise) for any man's mistakes, and he sounds like a controlling childish douche. Take your money and leave him, he's already out anyway. WTF are you helping to pay for his alimony?
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't think he will love you more for doing things for him. He will love you more if he does things for you, and he doesn't.

And the money thing?? Huge red flag for me. My parent still keep their own money after so many years together. And you paying his alimony?!
  • svetadoll
    svetadoll Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Alone doesn't always mean bad. Use your alone time to build your strength. Realize that you are good enough, strong enough, smart enough to support yourself and live life on your own.

yes yes yes!

Nothing is more difficult than leading an unhappy life. Working towards happiness isn't easy.... but continuing to feel as you do would be more heartbreaking and more detrimental to your well being and future.

You seem like savvy lady... make a plan, tie up the loose ends... and start your life over!
  • aadutton
    Options
    It sounds like he's already checked out of the relationship.

This this this. He is passive-aggressively telling you he's done with this relationship. The sooner you realize this, the better.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bad relationship, he's changed completely... you're young, go to college. I would seriously considering leaving this relationship.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    ... Imagine your sister, or best friend told you what all you've shared with us. What would you tell her? RUN! For some reason, when we are in the middle of whats going on, we tend to complicate it and think, "give it more time... we can work this out".

I think we might be sharing the same brain ;-)

HA... if you have custody of it now, just know I'm going to need it back in the morning! :laugh:

OP, I really wish the best for you... I hope the proper answer is made crystal clear very soon.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    To put it bluntly: leave.

I would talk to him about how you're feeling and that you'd like him to be supportive of your education choice. HE has a masters, while you don't have an education. Let him know you want to feel secure in your relationship and YOURSELF. Think about you. What happens if you do break up under different circumstances - you'll have no education, and most likely no job (if he's your boss) - you may not think he'll fire you or be a nasty person, but people do things you never thought they would.

If he still refuses for you to go to school, break up with him, apply for financial aid and get YOUR life on track. Before you have a life with someone else you have to be happy with your own first.
  • HeinzPrincess
    Options
    Maybe this was a bad idea to write this at work, I can't stop crying when I read everyone's responses. I mostly work alone, and today is slow, so i guess no one will know that i'm crying but this just sucks. I feel completely alone in life. I moved to PA after I graduated to work this job with him, so i don't even have any family around. and the family that i do have doesn't talk to me unless I call them.

I married at 20. He had a child from a previous marriage and we stayed together 8 years, had 2 of our own kids, and I was so miserable the whole marriage. I just accepted it as normal until we split up and I started laughing again.

My honest advice is to cut your losses, go home, and start college (if that's what you want). In 10 years you can say, "Wow, I was in this really bad/strange situation for awhile but I got a fresh start and look at me now." Or in 10 years you can say, "I wasted 10 years." It's never too late to get a fresh start and you are right on the edge of doing something great that you want! Don't get bullied back into a bad situation.
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    From what I can assume, it seems like your SO likes to have control in his relationships. Ex-wives usually get alimony when they can prove that they were dependent on their spouse from an extended period of time. Since you didn't mention child support, it seems like he held his ex-wife back during their relationship also.
  • Allishole
    Allishole Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you are not married, do NOT paid his student loan or alimony. It's not yours to owe.
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Maybe this was a bad idea to write this at work, I can't stop crying when I read everyone's responses. I mostly work alone, and today is slow, so i guess no one will know that i'm crying but this just sucks. I feel completely alone in life. I moved to PA after I graduated to work this job with him, so i don't even have any family around. and the family that i do have doesn't talk to me unless I call them.

You need to pack up and go back to where you have some more support (I don't mean move "home", but if that would work...great!). Once you moved back where you have some support..GO TO SCHOOL. You are 19 years old. You should NOT be helping pay some guys alimony!!!!!!!!

If there is no support ANYWHERE...find a college YOU like and move there. I promise at 19..you will make plenty of friends and find plenty of NICE guys!!!!!!
  • mrsdutra07
    Options
    Like many other posters, I would say you already know, in your heart, what you need to do. It's very scary, and you might lose your job (start documenting it now so you can sue the hell out of him in that case), but nonetheless it's likely the right thing to do.

It's time to really start living your own life. If you're a hard worker, you'll find employment somewhere else and be better off for it.

A large age difference isn't always a bad thing (my parents are 13 years apart and have been married for 30 years), but at such a young age, 9 years is a giant gap emotionally. Do what's right, not what's easy.

The sweet and easy fork leads to gluttony and extra pounds hanging around. Take the fork with the broccoli on it, shed some excess baggage and get on with your journey.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    So, if I have my math right (and I'm an accountant so I generally am pretty good at basic addition and subtraction) you started dating when you were 16 and 25? I would stand by my original thoughts: he's a child, and he's controlling. As an adult I find this highly inappropriate. While everyone is out of school and a little older it's okay, but when you're in high school? (to be there is a difference in maturity between 16 & 25 versus say 20 & 29). You need to RUN, you have a lot of life to experience, don't let him hold you back from experiencing it.
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Honey, I truly pray that you find your way out of this the healthy way. Far too often we hear the same story from young ladies your age. I would suggest you doing what your heart tells you. If it were ME, I would gracefully end this relationship and split the money as you already were going to do. Don't become a statistic and watse YOUR life living someone else life, you deserve so much better.
    Wow, you choked me with his response to you and you helping paying $1000 Alimony to an exwife, I'm just floored by this!

Good luck...
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Bad situation. He is in a position to sabotage every job you interview for if you dumb his sorry ars.
    He is also on thin ice with the company because the law and most employers take a default position that a subordinate cannot consent to a relationship. There is, by the nature of the working relationship, an element of coercion.
    Your best bet is to get out now while you are young. Get a degree, and get away from him.
    I have been with my wife for over 20 years, married for 18 of those years. I have never raised my voice at my wife. I supported every decision she made regarding education. She has 3 BS and a MEd. And now she is a full time mom.
    Nobody should put up with that sort of behavior. It is a bad omen.

There. Just my $0.02.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    You were 16 when you got together.
    9 yrs. difference in age?
    He was 25 and you were 16??
    If I read it right.
    Run from the pervert.
    He has major control issues.
    Maybe you have gotten to old for him.

By the way if he won't come and see you and is not having sex with you.
    He is cheating.....sorry.:flowerforyou:
  • mbz0616
    mbz0616 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My husband and I got married when we both were 26 years old, and we've been together for 34 years so far (I'm writing this from our vacation in Paris). Before that, though, I had a Starter Husband who I married when I was 19. Before we got married, we got along fine. After, he got very controlling - didn't want me to work, wanted me to wear concealing clothes, wanted to control our money, wouldn't let me drive, ... I finally left him, and he went back home to his mom. Smartest thing I ever did.

My suggestion: start looking for jobs at companies that offer a good tuition reimbursement benefit. Interview and find a decent job, and then tell the jerk to take a hike. Go to college and meet some people that you enjoy being with. Don't consider committing to anyone else until you're certain that you're meant to be with that person.

Good luck!