Impossible to eat healthy when in debt

Options
Don't get me wrong, I get food before the debt collectors get their $$$$; but it's hard to convince my wife that who is the controller of our finances (yet I'm the grocery shopper and the cook). Her goal is to be debt free, my goal is to be disease free; they seem to be conflicting with each other. The way I see it, I either need to take over the finances (since I'm the one spending the money anyways) or I just need to accept the fact that instead of feeding my family of 4 a $15 meal of fish, quinoa, veggies, and salsa I'll have to suck it up and replace it with a $4 meal of $1 menu burgers...

Seriously, where are the priorities? Anyone else find themselves fighting to feed their family a nutritious meal because their significant other would rather pay off their debt.

***POST EDITED BY STAFF for violation of guideline number 16**
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    :huh: Ok... being a fiscally conservative family, that is trying to dig ourselves out of debt as well... I don't seen any reason why your family can't eat healthy... I don't think it has to do with politics as it does with just point of view... as a registered Republican (though not a practicing one) I have always believed that one must eat right and exercise in order to reduce the risks of health problems (now practicing what I preach is a different story otherwise I would not be here)... thus, I agree with you... however, it is kinda hard to swallow paying for quinoa... which I can't seem to do myself, but that's more of my frugal upbringing rather than my political upbringing.... But in our house we always have fresh produce, lean cuts of meat (even fish... though I stink at cooking it) and the like... though I will admit, I'm not too keen on paying the exorbitent prices for organic either, but I do when there isn't that great of a price difference.

My fight comes when my husband would rather have hamburger helper from a box, than a homemade version with real cheese. :grumble:
  • rlbs
    rlbs Posts: 14
    Options
    I find cooking at home to actually save money if I plan ahead -- I buy inexpensive cuts of meat, like chicken thighs or pork shoulder, when they are on sale, and then cook them in the crock pot, which is usually enough for several meals. I make chili with ground turkey and lots of beans, it is delicious, healthy, and you can make a huge pot and freeze some for later. If fresh veggies are too expensive, buy frozen. Cooking Light magazine had a great article this month on making inexpensive family meals, they suggested buying vegetables and bulk foods like rice at ethnic markets where they are cheaper. Also, look for ideas on the web, there are a lot of folks who blog about feeding their family on very low budgets. Good luck!
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    :huh: Ok... being a fiscally conservative family, that is trying to dig ourselves out of debt as well... I don't seen any reason why your family can't eat healthy... I don't think it has to do with politics as it does with just point of view... as a registered Republican (though not a practicing one) I have always believed that one must eat right and exercise in order to reduce the risks of health problems (now practicing what I preach is a different story otherwise I would not be here)... thus, I agree with you... however, it is kinda hard to swallow paying for quinoa... which I can't seem to do myself, but that's more of my frugal upbringing rather than my political upbringing.... But in our house we always have fresh produce, lean cuts of meat (even fish... though I stink at cooking it) and the like... though I will admit, I'm not too keen on paying the exorbitent prices for organic either, but I do when there isn't that great of a price difference.

My fight comes when my husband would rather have hamburger helper from a box, than a homemade version with real cheese. :grumble:

All 4 of us in the family have dietary intolerances too so it's not like we are eating this way to be fiscally irresponsible; we are eating this way because this is the diet that our body does not manifest any cognitive or physical symptoms for!

My wife too would rather have random ground beef in a processed box mixture (containing gluten which I have issue with and no nutritional value) than a homemade meal (full of nutrition and not gluten!). She would rather spend her money on exotic trips around the world than healthy food so she and her kids can be healthy (oh and her husband can be alive too).

Seriously, if I had the choice of dying at 50 and being debt free while seeing the world but being fat and full of disease and dying at 80 and still paying my debt off and rarely leaving my house but being slender and disease free and have healthy children and grandchildren, I'd choose 80....
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Really depends on what one considers healthy.
    Expensive organic vegetables are 7 to 8 times more likely to make you sick from bacteria. And multiple studies have found they do not have higher nutrient content.

I don't pay attention to "lean" versus not. I need fat in my diet. I have to limit carbs. So that leaves fat because low carb high protein is toxic.
    Costco is great for saving money of meat and veggies. Farmers markets are surprisingly affordable for local produce.
    Not spending money on junk food snacks saves a ton of money.
    I think I'd get rid of our mobile phones before cutting into the food budget.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You all have dietary intolerances but can eat nasty burgers and garbage from a box?

Find a way and cook nutritious food at home. No excuses.

Look at what people in poor countrys eat. Legumes, rice, vegies, breads......... (Chicken as a protien is about the most bang for the buck at the stores I shop at.)
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I used to think this and initially it did seem to cost more to eat healthy but now I have calculated and it is cheaper. We rarely eat out (by choice - because we eat so much better/cheaper at home). Check out various markets. We get some great deals on chicken, fajita meat, etc., at a local mexican market who offers great sales because they have so many customers.

We also have found a great asian market that offers produce at a fraction of some of the big grocery stores. It sounds like a pain to have to shop around, but if you just hit up some various markets you soon realize who has the cheaper of this and that. On Sundays, we usually go grocery shopping. This means hitting up Walmart for basics (bread for kids lunches, laundry soap, etc.) and then we have found two ethnic markets (Asian and Indian) as well as the mexican market! Sometimes we hit up all 4!! It's also a good time we get to chat and visit.

Also, you might try planning some menus where you can stretch your things out. For example. we buy whole chickens when on sale cheap and freeze them. From that, I can boil and chop up and make chicken salad for lunches, chicken & corn soup (a favorite in my house), and many other recipies. We also make fajitas alot too - and corn tortillas are very low cal and healthy with some chicken, tomatoes, onion, cilantro and even guacamole. And most major chain stores have frozen veggies for less than $1 a bag. If you have Kroger nearby, they have their own brand of very nice veggies -- any you can imagine for less than $1 a bag. Asparagus, brocoli, cauliflower, etc. You name it, they have it and you don't have to worry about it spoiling in the fridge - you just freeze them and pull out as needed. I use one of those customer appreciation cards from Kroger and they send me great coupons for stuff I routinely buy all the time. Every month I get a dozen free eggs in my coupon packet. Walmart matches competitors prices if you bring in sale papers from other stores. Some other chains probably do this as well. They don't advertise this, but if you bring them and ask, many do. Every little bit adds up.

I get a bag of chopped romaine lettuce from Sam's club for $3. Eating salad every day, I still end up throwing some away at the end of the week! (NOT cost effective, I know!!). I also like the big bags of Tyson grilled chicken strips or the whole chicken breast fully cooked patties. These are great to heat in the microwave and toss in salad, eat them with veggies, etc. A bag is $10 but there are 16-18 chicken breasts in there so they last a while and are very healthy.

If you like chili -- super easy to make and you can buy dried beans and soak and then toss in a crock pot with some meat or toss in a big pan and cook on high for an hour or so. This always makes enough to feed several people and still have leftovers.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    You all have dietary intolerances but can eat nasty burgers and garbage from a box?

Find a way and cook nutritious food at home. No excuses.

Look at what people in poor countrys eat. Legumes, rice, vegies, breads......... (Chicken as a protien is about the most bang for the buck at the stores I shop at.)

The turfallo burgers were home made. The gluten free buns I agree were terrible, look at the rest of the diary before you judge. I am a mostly clean eater. But you aren't even on subject! Did you read the heading and freak or did you read the details too?
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Really depends on what one considers healthy.
    Expensive organic vegetables are 7 to 8 times more likely to make you sick from bacteria. And multiple studies have found they do not have higher nutrient content.

I don't pay attention to "lean" versus not. I need fat in my diet. I have to limit carbs. So that leaves fat because low carb high protein is toxic.
    Costco is great for saving money of meat and veggies. Farmers markets are surprisingly affordable for local produce.
    Not spending money on junk food snacks saves a ton of money.
    I think I'd get rid of our mobile phones before cutting into the food budget.

In my opinion, mobile phones are a luxury and eating healthy is a necessity. My wife seems to feel the other way around (she's an internet addict with her smart phone).
  • albhed1039
    Options
    What I would suggest is sitting down together and making a budget - together. We use mint.com so wecan view it from either phone.

Maybe split up priorities, it does not need to be all or nothing extreme on either end. If you normally put 400$ to groceries and 300$ toold debts, just put a bit more towards food and a little less to debts.

But that's why I like mint, I can really see where our.money goes so we know where to cut. Sodas are a easy start if you guys drink them. Also try calling cable/ Internet/ phone companies and see if they have any specials. My father in law taught methat one. Often they will say for new customs nly,but if you call and say. You would save money switching companies they will give you a good deal. Even if it's just for a few month special

Also, if you have not read Dave Ramsey's book on debt. Free livingi would, it's a good read.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    There has to be some sort of middle ground compromise here. We live very simply and feed a family of 4 on $80 a week, sometimes less. The Quinoa meal you suggested would be out of our price range. But, I won't feed my family that $1 burger yuckiness you were talking about either.
  • eddysuchydvm
    eddysuchydvm Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Crockpot meals?

Hearty soups?

I think somewhere between 4 and 15 dollars is realistic...4$ is just not enough to provide nutritious food :/
  • guerillamilk
    Options
    I disagree. I've ended up saving tons of money since I've started eating healthy and recently discovered that the farmers market is way cheaper than the grocery store and you get a TON of fruits & veggies. If you plan ahead and shop smart you'll end up ahead. I promise.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I don't know why this irks my nerves so much but it does... I'm not trying to come off mean and annoying like a lot of other posters on here saying "my way or the highway" kind of deal.

But the whole "eating healthy is expensive" is a load of crap.
    I'm a college student and am dirt poor. It's CHEAPER to eat healthy.
    I just made a homemade soup with vegetable broth, spinach, mushrooms, and tomatoes that costed me a grand total of $8 to make. And that will last me 2 weeks worth of lunch or a snap. Doesn't even break 50 calories per serving.
    It's making both healthy and fiscally responsible decisions.
    You can eat healthy without going broke.
    But beans in bulk.
    Buy meat in bulk (just bought a bag of chicken from walmart that has 10+ breasts in it for $6)
    etc, etc.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a liberal investment pays off in the end, especially when it comes to health. :wink:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    There are these things called beans, they're $1 a bag and you can feed everyone. Rice too. And theres also pasta which is $1 a box and sauce is $2-3. There's another meal there for $4.
  • Ghilber
    Ghilber Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I disagree. I've ended up saving tons of money since I've started eating healthy and recently discovered that the farmers market is way cheaper than the grocery store and you get a TON of fruits & veggies. If you plan ahead and shop smart you'll end up ahead. I promise.

I agree. We now buy bulk lean meat from the butcher and package it up into single servings and buy fruit and vege from the markets and that's our dinners sorted for cheap. Breakfasts for me is just eggs. lunches are salads I make. Now I'm eating out WAY less is saving me a bundle as well as those "nice" dinners (ie high calorie) which we would spend $20 on the ingredients.

Me and my partner would spend like $30 on nice takeaway like Chinese or something and now that would pay our whole weeks dinners. Same with lunches.

I'm also not going to the pub anywhere near as much which is probably saving $50-$100 a week. But I was going out drinking a bit.
  • chefswife1975
    chefswife1975 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am so tired of people saying they can't eat healthy on a budget. If you make a meal of healthy ingredients it costs much less than if you eat crap. It's been proven over and over again. It looks more expensive, but when you break it down...one half onion = $.15, two garlic clove =$.02, one half pound chicken thighs = $4, one can tomatoes =$1, couple sprinkles dried basil =$.02, can of chickpeas = $1.5. Whole meal = $6.69 I'm not sure how that is expensive. It might look expensive to buy a whole thing of dried basil or load up the spice rack, so do it a few at a time. It's not difficult. This is just someone who doesn't want to eat healthy and is using money to avoid it.
    Sorry, don't mean to be an *kitten*, but I've been having this argument with people for years now.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I don't know why this irks my nerves so much but it does... I'm not trying to come off mean and annoying like a lot of other posters on here saying "my way or the highway" kind of deal.

But the whole "eating healthy is expensive" is a load of crap.
    I'm a college student and am dirt poor. It's CHEAPER to eat healthy.
    I just made a homemade soup with vegetable broth, spinach, mushrooms, and tomatoes that costed me a grand total of $8 to make. And that will last me 2 weeks worth of lunch or a snap. Doesn't even break 50 calories per serving.
    It's making both healthy and fiscally responsible decisions.
    You can eat healthy without going broke.
    But beans in bulk.
    Buy meat in bulk (just bought a bag of chicken from walmart that has 10+ breasts in it for $6)
    etc, etc.

omg I agree. I make a big batch of beans and big batch of quinoa and I can use it for several meals all week. Don't tell me 'eating healthy is expensive' until really live in poverty people. That's so annoying. Also maybe it's just me, but a bag of salad will make several salads. I guess some people think you have to buy $10 grilled salmon to eat healthy. Guess what, if you don't shop at whole foods you can get stuff super cheap.
  • adietron
    Options
    My secrets to making healthy meals on a grad-student budget:

1. Huge pots of soup, chili, or beans (black eyed peas or mexi-style black beans are AMAZING). Leftovers for days, and super satisfying.
    2. Plant-based diet. 1 pound of chickpeas or lentils is cheaper than 1 pound of meat (not to mention the lower carbon footprint). Buy beans and legumes in bulk. Sure, you have to think ahead and soak them, but it's a much cheaper alternative to meat or canned beans.

Might I suggest trying to win your wife over with some long-term financial planning? Since processed foods are more likely to lead to metabolic syndrome (high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes), ask her to factor the cost of insulin and blood pressure medication into your long-term budget. Maybe she'll think twice about letting you buy some kale and quinoa instead of hamburger helper.
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm not eating healthy yet, because I hate healthy foods, LOL. But, I do know we all choose how we spend our money. If you ever stop for something at a gas station or 7-11 type place, stop! There are so many places we nickel and dime ourselves into debt. I know this from doing it myself!! Beans and rice, Vegetable soups, Unprocessed foods...healthy and very inexpensive. Lots of things can be thrown in the crock pot in the morning so you come home to a yummy meal at night. I make a lot of wraps in tortillas, etc...cheap. My best recommendation to you is to write down where you are spending all of your money....yes I mean ALL. It's amazing where you can cut back and add a little to buy something a little healthier. Good luck!! :flowerforyou: