So much for people NOT watching.

Options

Replies

• smbkrn
    smbkrn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry this happened to you. I feel absolutely disgusted that people (most of whom are lazy and do nothing to better themselves) make the decision to treat other people this way. I had this happen to me once. I was on a run and went past some kids and one of them said something about my moobs. It absolutely killed my runners high and it was like the 10 miles before that didn't even matter. I finished my run walking home the last few miles. It was the worst anyone has ever made me feel.

The funny thing is, I run 20 to 30 miles a week, swim 2 days a week, and bike 2 days a week. I always feel good about my hard work and it pays off when I race and beat my goals. When I run, I still think about this happening again and still have no idea how I would react.

The really sad thing is that when I see bigger people out walking or running I always want to tell them good job and keep it up. I am always scared that they will think I am joking and being an a-hole so I never do.

Just remember that your goals are YOUR goals. No one else is more critical to you success than you. There are always obstacles to achieve what you want and it will be hard. Mentally, physically, but more likely both. Most people take the easy path. You have chosen the path less traveled and you will be rewarded, mostly in the form of tears when you reach your goal.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    As my mom used to say, "Consider the source."

Why do you give a flying f-bomb what mean people think? They're mean. Of course they're going to say mean things. Don't give them any power.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    people n general are total idiots! Except my firends on here and in life. LOL
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I went through a similar thing at the park running. I also had forgotten my headphones that day and was running with a friend. Heard a group of girls behind us laughing and carrying on about how our thighs shook and everything...Funny thing was...when I turned around to look at them...they were all way bigger than us! What gives?
  • brittnicoledav
    Options
    I'm so sorry that happened to you. People can be so inconsiderate and hurtful. There are a few people who will always be jerks, no matter what, but not everyone feels that way. Someone posted this a while ago and i thought it was beautiful.

(This is a blog entry from flintland.blogspot.com)

Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the
    running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy.
    You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make
    you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops
    on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so
    much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes
    at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You
    never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the
    reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is
    tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a
    brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will
    far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face
    your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this
    physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult
    decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take
    is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so
    slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were
    in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is
    stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is
    possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and
    put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that
    the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so
    inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people,
    know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so
    many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health,
    “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from
    deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are
    relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and
    you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe
    tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will
    not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a
    new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.
  • butterflyqueen1984
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel!! I was walking into work one day and when I crossed the road this car came swerving past me and a guy shouted at me saying 'move out the way you fat b***h' I was soooooo upset I was literally about to cry there and then. But I carried on and kept walking into work, but the whole day all I could think about was what that guy had said to me. It kills you inside I have been picked on for years but to have a TOTAL stranger say something to you it makes you want to scream.

I think what made it worse for me was that my boyfriend was also walking with me to work and he was in such a shock that he didn't know what to say so didn't stick up for me we just carried on walking. The guy that shouted at me was shouting soooooo angry! I am a spiritualist and I do not believe in people hurting each other through words or physical aspect. It hurts me to the core that someone can be so hurtful.

I believe that people say things hurtful because of the following -
    1.They maybe jealous
    2. They are hurting themselves
    3. They have nothing better to do
    4. They have no one that loves them

We are all loved, people on MFP are here to support each other. With all of us coming together we can move forward and loose/gain this weight!!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes straight to the bone.

Obviously, you should ignore them, but I know it's easier said than done. If this happens again I urge you to confront them. Don't hurl an insult back, that's not productive. Say something like, "I hope you poop in your pants." Then walk away. I doubt someone like that has ever been confronted, and would likely have no response.
  • ktbrett22
    ktbrett22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I expect whoever shouted it wasn't even thinking, they were just making some dumb comment and didn't consider how that would affect you. It's really hard but try to rise above it. I was on a train once and a guy started talking to me, adn then his friend shouted 'why are you talking to that fat ugly girl'! To put this in context, I wasn't overweight at all, I was a size 12 - people will say things for all sorts of reasons, ignore them!
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing and run. some people are just jerks!!! Stay strong and you will succeed.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'd bet a dollar to a dime it was a bunch of miscreant teenagers with less than nothing to do. They lurk around town and around the parks in my neck of the woods, too. I get snide remarks or snickers from some at times. I usually do my best "mom" impression and say something sweet and nice with just a touch of snarkiness in my voice.

Funny thing is, when these kids get older, they'll get their behavior handed back to them in spades!

Keep at running! As long as your body tolerates it. . .keep moving towards longer/harder/faster goals. One day, the only thing people will say as you sail by is "wow"!

:-)
  • whooter
    Options
    People can be nasty. This is life. This is not a newsflash. The world is not filled with rainbows and butterflies and unicorns.

Sometimes people flat out suck. But why would you let that "derail" you? Seriously, how could being made fun of for being "fat" derail anyone? Isn't that why you're here? Because you're tired of being called fat?

Use it as motivation. There are rude, inconsiderate, nasty people on the planet. Crying about them is not going to change that fact.

Case in point.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    People are jerks! Hate 'em! I wish I'd been there - I'd have yelled back that you were certainly lapping THEM!!! OOoooohhh this makes me so mad! Sorry you had the experience - but I know you'll use it to fuel your journey.
  • , "OH MY GOD! Would you look at that girl running!!"

There, I fixed that for you. I know it sucks, but forget about them. Anyone who gets their kicks off of something like that is extremely immature. When life catches up to them and suddenly they are the fat ones huffing up the stairs and you are smoking hot, justice will be served. Karma is a bi***.

Happy friday to you too!
    Seconded. Good on you for keeping going!
  • scandiebirdie
    scandiebirdie Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    They're obviously complete *kitten* (sorry!). Do keep walking and running. Then let's see who laughing when you eventually run circles around them.
    Jerks - the lot of them, jerks!
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    People are a-holes, plain and simple. I'm sorry that they hurt your feelings, but please don't let their stupidity derail all of your hard work. You are making your life better while they're spending their days sitting in a park making fun of people. They are sad, sad people. You are amazing! Don't let them bring you down to their level.
  • scandiebirdie
    scandiebirdie Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'd go back to that park and keep running. They win if you don't go back.

Some people are just so insecure with themselves that they tend to pick on others to build up their self-esteem. By shining a bright light on your short comings, they're just trying to hid theirs in the shadows.

THIS
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I had a similar experience when I was just walking. I was pushing 310 at the time. Three teenage boys walked by me and for some reason felt the need to call me a beached whale... I went home and cried and cried... I have to say it affected me so much that I stayed in and did not get out walking again for another year. Don't let stupid people get you down. Those people make themselves feel better by taking down others.
  • marsviolet
    marsviolet Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    People can be so disgusting and pointlessly cruel. You are doing amazing! Please don't let them get you down! <3
  • nannabannana
    Options
    Making comments like that to cover their own insecurities and "impress" others. People who need to belittle others to do this are not worth allowing them to get to you. By everything you are doing, you will achieve your goals, they will always be the idiot they are. Focus on that.

DITTO......Would you please ADD ME AS A FRIEND!!!!! I do notl ike sarcastic remarks like that..period! I cannot change an adult , neither can you. FOCUS on you! Its your journey and HAPPY FRIDAY TO YOU....Bless your heart my dear:)
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Go back to the park. Go running again. Next time (hopefully never) it happens, give them the finger and keep going.

Shout back "Wait til I lose enough to catch you - it's ON b!tch!"

I know it's hard. *strokes your hair* but one day they'll get theirs... and if you're lucky you'll get to watch :)