Sugar is not your friend part 2

Options
Sugar is not your friend.

Please everyone join us in battling this insidious enemy. We just tell our stories, everyone jump in if you have something that will help someone. (Or just lurk.)

It's the shortest month and only one holiday....okay, so it's Valentines Day. Tell your significant other you want jewlelry.

Not chocolate or flowers.
Last year I bought myself a "Chocolate Pearl" ring that I love (the pearl is iridescent brown.) I didn't gain weight and it didn't die. Win / win. It was last January that I began to banish sugar from my life. For me, the only thing that works is abstinance from all sugary snacks. I do have 1/4 cup Kashi Go Lean in the mornings - 4g cane juice. I eat whole fruits - no juices. And I don't go crazy reading bread labels, because pretty much all bread has some form of sugar, be it sugar, brown sugar, cane syrup or cane juice, fructose, or honey. I buy 100% whole wheat bread with the lowest sugar I can find. But I don't eat much bread. One or two slices daily.

Simple Carbs:

White / brown sugar, honey, agave nectar, corn syrup, maple syrup, sorghum syrup, molasses.

Dried fruit, sweet / ripe fruit (bananas, pears, figs, dates, raisins, sweet melons...), licorice.

Fruit juices (apple juice), canned fruit (peaches, mixed fruit).

Manitol, sorbitol, xylitol, and other "...tol" variations, maltodextrin, stevia.

Sucrose, glucose, fructose, maltose, dextrose, galactose, trehalose, and other "...ose" variations.

Candy, chocolate, pop, donuts, cakes, cookies, sweetened cereal & granola, jam, marmalade.

Alcohol

________________________________________________________________________________

I have many articles I've found, I'll post bits and pieces of them here and there.
The best resources are YOU. The ones fighting the good fight day in and day out, learning and living while trying to balance family, job, lack of time, and abundance of sugar. EVERYWHERE. You can resist it.

Here are some of the high point from last month:

~ Moderation works for some people, and not for others
~ Planning ahead of time for a sweet item is good. You haven't "deprived" yourself entirely, but you don't plunge into a binge.
~ Somehow, Black Bean Brownies are tasty
~ The Meaning Of Life is not in the fridge (esp the whipped cream can)
~ Emotions will cause you to eat sugar. Why? Brain chemicals similar to the ones produced and released when one does drugs are the same brain chemicals released when eating sugar in quantity
~ We "punish" ourselves by secretly eating sugars and other unhealthy choices
~ From Lori "Day 1 of back on track. Detox big time. No groceries in the house. Had a protein shake. Went to the store. No kidding, I was shaking and feeling terrible from lack of food and lack of sugar, it's been so part of my life the past 2 weeks. Hubs walked into the commissary after his haircut with Taco Bell and I wanted to attack it. I didn't. I continued to chomp my gum like my life depended on it."

~Nail polish is sugar-free

Join us and share your journey. I learned last month that those late night binges on sweets can be caused because your body stops producing insulin between 10PM-ish and 3AM-ish. A teacher on this thread shared that with us, and she learned it from a diabetic student. You never know who you help by sharing a story.

Cheryl

old thread from last month:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/74303-sugar-is-not-your-friend-january-challenge
(and I can't change my signature.......I msged Mike about that)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    oops posted new thread ON new thread HA!!:laugh: uh edit.........................

Nail polish is sugar free = :laugh:

As of this moment, I've been sugar free since Sunday, so I'm babysteppin'

My goals for the month are to only eat refined sugar one time, and to not bring any refined sugar into my house. The main demon I'm trying to slay here is the by-myself-sugar-binge. I use it as a drug, or I should say "used" it as a drug, because those days are behind me.

Sugar is not my valentine. It's been two days since I've last used.
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    I am --following-- you.

Great start to a great thread. The list of simple carbs is really helpful for a quick rule of thumb.

Sugar is not my friend. That refined crap, anyway, it's all --snooty-- and conceited and is one of those people who makes others feel yucky in order to feel good about themselves (hello, issues much? I said it last month, i'll say it again: I don't have time for sugar and it's emotional baggage it likes to store around my waistline!) I like to truck with that all-natural kind of hippie-ish fruit crew these days (gotta love those complex carbs, too, they take a while to get to know but once you do they are some of the best friends you can find!)
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting the new thread Cheryl. I really appreciated the list of simple carbs to avoid. I'm going to cut and paste, and print it out for on my fridge. Last week at my nutrition class for Health Seekers, one of the other women came over and told me about oat milk. I asked her about sugars in it, and she said it didn't matter because they were all natural from the plant. UMMMMM NO, they aren't! I've found that many of the milk substitutes have very high sugar levels, and it's usually added sweetners. I've tried some of the unsweetened ones, and I'm not quite there yet, I still find them undrinkable. Maybe one of these days, lol.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Dang, V - I wish I had thought of that!

"Sugar is not my Valentine" :laugh:
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    pettmybunny, it may be a little more labour intensive than opening a carton, but you can make your own milk substitues--nut milks, and presumably grain milks too. (a couple quick how-to's for almond milk: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Almond-Milk and here http://greenlitebites.com/2009/04/27/homemade-almond-milk-take-1/ and for oat/rice milk: http://perfectcupcakes.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-to-make-rice-milk-and-oat-milk.html) Hemp milk is really yummy as well (I'll try and find a recipe for you if you're intersted--I don't have the book with recipe in it with me, left it in Toronto. CURSES!)

I know you say you're still not "there yet" for the unsweetened stuff, but at least if you were making your own you could sweeten and flavour it to your taste, under your specifications--using stevia or adding other things like vanilla or cinnamon or whatever. It could also be OK to cook with if you're looking for milk-free substitutes.

HTH <3
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I will tell my husband that it's a new rule no candy just jewels....love the idea!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I will tell my husband that it's a new rule no candy just jewels....love the idea!

My ring was only $60. I still wear it and I love it. The roses would have been dead and buried. And the candy.....well, you know.
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,758 Member
    Options
    Tagging so I have somewhere to come and confess my sugar woes.... :tongue:

Actually, I'm working on a new and improved attitude toward all things in my life this month, so maybe I'll just be around telling you how awesome I have been when it comes to the sugar demon. :bigsmile:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Thanks Katy for the websites. I looked at them. Might give making my own a whirl when I run low next time.
  • tamarads
    Options
    Fabulous Cheryl!! :bigsmile: Thanks for the list of simple carbs and the giggles, who knew about the Black Bean Brownies?? :laugh:

I guess I'm still concerned about eating fruits, any thoughts about that from anyone? I haven't had any, just the occasional apple slice as I cut them up for my kids. Should I be taking a supplement to replace those nutrients? Thank you for your thoughts!

Sugar is not my Valentine!!

Tammy
  • cmriverside
    Options
    According to mayoclinic.com, you need to eat fruits.
    http://mayoclinic.com/health/portion-control/NU00267

The portion chart looks like this:

1200 Calories___________1400 Calories_________________1600 Calories

Vegetables
    _____4 or more__________4 or more_____________________ 5 or more
    Fruits
    _____3 or more___________4 or more____________________ 5 or more
    Carbohydrates
    _____4__________________ 5 __________________________ 6
    Protein/Dairy
    _____3__________________4___________________________5
    Fats
    _____3__________________3___________________________3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The article has a great slide show that helps you "eye-ball" portion sizes. I know I get tired of weighing everything.
    orangetennisball.jpg

Other fruit servings

Fruit 1 serving size (60 calories)

Apple, sweetened 1/3 cup
    Banana 1 small
    Cherries 15 whole
    Strawberries, whole 1 1/2 cups
    100 percent fruit juice, unsweetened 1/2 cup

You may now understand why I love strawberries so much. One serving is also 100% of daily Vitamin C recommendations. A Cup And A Half! woo hoo.

And, sadly, here is how many almonds they think count stoward one serving of fat. grrrrrrrr.
    almonds.jpg

Lastly, they have a picture of Sweets but I decided not to post it: here is the recommendation

Other sweet servings

Sweet 1 serving (75 calories)

Hard candy peppermints 4 pieces
    Jelly beans, regular 8 pieces
    Jelly beans, small 20 pieces
    Maple syrup 1.5 tablespoons
    Sweetened cola 6 ounces (1/2 can)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    pancakesandmilk.jpg

:noway:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Sugar is not your Valentine.

(edit)
    ======================
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,758 Member
    Options

And, sadly, here is how many almonds they think count stoward one serving of fat. grrrrrrrr.
    almonds.jpg

Fine, so I eat several servings of fat when I eat my 28 natural almonds. Sue me. :ohwell: I almost never eat all my fats, so I don't stress over that one!
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    So, I just have to brag today (it doesn't get to happen for me often, lol)... I had 55 total grams sugar today. When I subtract the 26 grams that came from my fruits and veggies today, I stayed below the 40 grams!

Sugar is not my friend. Nor my valentine.

Sugar shun on!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Had a challenge today. I found myself starving and at Wal-Mart. Do you know how hard it is to find a suitable snackish item at Wal-Mart that's even semi-healthy? Wait, I'll answer that. . .darn near impossible. I ended up with a packet of mixed nuts. Every pack of trail mix or whatever had sugar in it, and most had more than one sugar (sugar and hfcs, etc.)

But, I made it. Still strong, and still sugar is not my valentine.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Sugar is not my friend--

For this week, low sodium, vegetable juice is my friend.

My hubs read online about a treatment for psoriasis, from which I am currently suffering. (and am one of the lucky 10-15 percent of patients who develop rheumatoid like arthritis symptoms-- )

Seems patients who've done a week long vegetable juice fast had their psoriasis clear up-- hmmmmmmm-- worth a try. I'll try anything at this point.

Curiously enough, it curbs the hunger amazingly-- I'm through day two, and feel wonderful, and hunger free. Is it wishful thinking that my pain and swelling in my feet and toes is oddly better this day? I don't know-- we'll see. But, so far, so good.

Also worth noting is that, naturally, weight is dropping. Not a bad thing.

I'll keep you posted-- I plan on doing this through the weekend, and ending on Tuesday.

Arthritis-free fingers crossed for success--
  • Marla64
    Options
    Had a challenge today. I found myself starving and at Wal-Mart. Do you know how hard it is to find a suitable snackish item at Wal-Mart that's even semi-healthy? Wait, I'll answer that. . .darn near impossible. I ended up with a packet of mixed nuts. Every pack of trail mix or whatever had sugar in it, and most had more than one sugar (sugar and hfcs, etc.)

But, I made it. Still strong, and still sugar is not my valentine.

Seriously-- I've wandered hungry through Wal-Mart before-- maddening to try and find something without the multiple sugars they throw in all the food these days. Nuts are always possible, but the calories are usually too high for what I want for a snack--

Bravo, Vivia, for staying away from the crap!!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

My hubs read online about a treatment for psoriasis, from which I am currently suffering. (and am one of the lucky 10-15 percent of patients who develop rheumatoid like arthritis symptoms-- )

Seems patients who've done a week long vegetable juice fast had their psoriasis clear up-- hmmmmmmm-- worth a try. I'll try anything at this point.

Arthritis-free fingers crossed for success--

Hey, Marla. . .sympathies. Me, too. I have psoriatic arthritis (I have no idea if that's the way to spell it.) And, you know what's pretty much cleared mine up? (and believe you me, I hate that this is true) Eliminating wheat from my diet. I still have a few skin irritated spots, but nowhere near the coverage and joint pain I used to have. It might be just that I have a wheat sensitivity, and not everyone does, but I've been really amazed at the difference.

It might be worth a try for you.

Sorry for your painful fingers. :flowerforyou: