Options

Replies

• christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    'erbs instead of Herbs.

There's a ****ing haitch in it.

Herb with the H is a name.

Silent H Herb is a type of plant. I've know many herbalist, and I've never once heard them call them herbs with the H. nor have I heard of a 'erbalist call themselves a Herbalist.
  • LADYDEBORAH1984
    LADYDEBORAH1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    in england we say herb not erb but maybe its a cultural thing?? i hate it when people dont pronounce th they say f instead so fink and fankyou and frough!!!
  • bussaca
    Options
    Illinoise... and I am not even from that state :)
  • stang_girl88
    stang_girl88 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Axe instead of ask and melk instead of milk. My husband says melk and I am starting to do say it that way too lol
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Sublime - I think the Americans (at least the voice over on a bronzing advert) say "sub-leem"

Lots of Americanisms of English words annoy me - but then I am from the UK and have had to start adapting now I live in Canada, although it's very mixed up here as to what people use - American or English!

I'm from Canada and American pronunciations also annoy me.
  • kuunsilta
    kuunsilta Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Anything ending in an "a" having the "er" sound replacing it. Like "Anna" being pronounced as "Anner"
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    nucular

THIS! It's nuclear. Say - new clear. Now put them together - nuclear.
  • annielaurie88
    annielaurie88 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Amber from Teen Mom is the most notorious for this... makes me crazy:

Think instead of thing. IE: "You don't know anythink!" it's like the letter G doesn't exist.

OMG couldnt agree more! she is sooo freaking annoying, but totally addicting show :laugh:
  • kuunsilta
    kuunsilta Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Also, when people call the Pacific ocean, the Specific ocean...
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    It drives me nuts when people put an " 's " on Nordstrom. Look at the sign, idiots! It's just Nordstrom!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Aks instead of ask
    Fustrated instead of fRustrated
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    exscape (my fish exscaped.)
    Axe (Let me axe you something.)
    Seerup (my kid puts seerup on everything breakfasty.)

Coming from ppl with strong accents is 1 thing, having "perfectly normal accented" people using these is just baffling.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Conversate
    Its not a word. Its converse.

thank you.. this is probably the only one i care about.. i transcribe for a living so i hear every which way you can say.. well pretty much every word in the dictionary.. :/
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Axe instead of ask and melk instead of milk. My husband says melk and I am starting to do say it that way too lol

Melk is a word in Afrikaans
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Lots of American pronounciations- nuclear, aluminium etc. Especially when they seem to think that their way is the only "right" way. How many countries speak english? America is only one of them!

But my biggest peeve, in any accent, is "twenty", it's twen-TY, not twenny, ugh! Oh same for fifty- fif-TY, not fiffy or fiddy.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Sublime - I think the Americans (at least the voice over on a bronzing advert) say "sub-leem"

Lots of Americanisms of English words annoy me - but then I am from the UK and have had to start adapting now I live in Canada, although it's very mixed up here as to what people use - American or English!

I'm from Canada and American pronunciations also annoy me.
    I've never heard it pronounced subleem - and I love to hear British people speak and don't really care how they pronounce their words. I also love to hear Aussies speak! Wish I could speak like that but guess I'm stuck with this country hick Texas drawl! Sorry ya'll don't like the way we talk.
  • laurenleighlugo
    Options
    When people say ruff instead of roof. Ugh! :explode:
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Skreet...Street
    Skrimp...Shrimp
    Scuze me...excuse Me
    Fuet...Fruit
    Surp...Syrup
    Ammalamps...Ambulance
  • PiggySweet
    PiggySweet Posts: 60 Member
    Options

He also calls people named Jeremy, Germ-e.

My boyfriend gets called germy colin all the time. Because Collins is so hard to pronounce...
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this has been covered, but when people say "DEE" instead of "day" at the end of days of the week.

Like "See you on MonDEE." :explode: