Word prounounciations that drive you nuts

Options

Replies

• b14a3w3
    b14a3w3 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Exclamation.....I stumble over it every time. It doesn't all go together right!
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have an employee that says she bathed her dog. Reading that you just said bAthed. She says it batht, like bath then adds the ed on the end. No matter howmuch she is corrected, she still says it.

Most of my pet peeves have been stated, but that one kills me!
  • scuddy58
    Options
    Okay, here is mine. Purdy for Pretty and Ruff for Roof. Drives me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • goodeater24
    goodeater24 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    shoont for shouldn't
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people pronounce "schism" with a hard "K" -- "skizm." It is acceptable, but pronouncing it "sizm" sounds better and is more elegant.
  • amyowens08
    amyowens08 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    WARSH! instead of wash.

THIS!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    shoont for shouldn't

I've heard people pronounce it "shu-nit." I HATE that.
  • cardsfanlv
    cardsfanlv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Since I live in Las Vegas, I hear this a lot from friends and family out of state that think I live in Nev-AH-da.

Nev-AD-a, not Nev-AH-da.
  • Cole114a
    Cole114a Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm from Texas, born and raised here. I, however, have a grasp on the English language and how to enunciate. One of my pet peeves from people around here is for them to say "cadillac converter" when they mean catalytic converter.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    In sure ants - insurance
    Pin - pen
    Malk - milk

It is amusing. I don't go crazy over it or anything. LOL
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Oh I have another employee that says flusterated, instead of frustrated. Drives me bonkers.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Uk southeners that put an 'R' in words where there aren't any like Class and Glass and Bath

Huh? So then it's clarse, glarse and barth? Never heard those before. How about diddint for didn't.
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Coyot-E instead of Coyote (yote, like note)...Could be a regional thing though.
  • kelseyruiz
    Options
    A little off topic but I hate when people type "yeah" and mean "yay." These are two different words with different sounds people.
  • barkin43
    Options
    Omg, I cannot stand when people use "Yall". Its a southern thing and with me being from the north, it doesnt exist. Its like nails on a chalkboard every single time I hear it. Just say you or you all!

Another one that "grinds my gears" is when people call it expresso. It is ESPRESSO. There is no X!

Well, youse guys from the north just don't unnerstan! It takes two long too say YOU ALL. It's much kwiker too say ya'll. One of my pet peeves is not using youre apostophees! "Ya'll, not yall; it's (for it is), not its. Ahm jest sayin'!
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    A little off topic but I hate when people type "yeah" and mean "yay." These are two different words with different sounds people.

that awkward moment when you recognise someone you used to know on mfp lol
  • barkin43
    Options
    I love hearing how people say things and how their pronunciations differ from region to region. It is interesting to hear different accents, but for some reason folks get really annoyed at accents and pronunciations from others who would be considered native to their region.

The English language is so screwy anyway, who's really to say if it is pronounced WILL-a-mette or wil-LAM-ette? There are also crazy words like through (threw) that sound nothing like rough (ruff), but only two letters have been added to the beginning and the vowel sound is totally different. You just have to know how to say it.

Phonetics in English are really terrible. No wonder why we all have such a hard time understanding each other!
    This is a very thoughtful post. Thank you!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's the misspelling of pronunciation that drives me nuts:)

Pronouncing it as proNOUNciation is even worse.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    instead of saying, "you know what I mean"

I've heard "ya mean"
  • usmcjarhead3
    usmcjarhead3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know it's a regional accent thing but AUNT= AUNT, not ANT!!!!:love: