WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Two days of receptions -- and two receptions per day at that!) are definitely crimping my dieting style! But last night was the most wonderful poetry reading by the new US Poet Laureate, Natasha Trethewey. (The other three receptions were a university working group, the Librarian of Congress's 25th anniversary on the job, and tonight's birthday party for my dance studio) Having one of those I love my job moments.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of deep water today. Tomorrow is yoga, but they are having a "fitness extravaganza" at the Y so I'm not sure if they'll have class or not so I'll do a yoga DVD at home anyway. Farmer's market tomorrow. Since I'm going to have bunco here Tues, I'll get some more red okra for this one gal. Then I'll go to another branch of the Y to try the zumba. Hope *I* don't mess anyone up!!!!!

fonitoni - I don't think I've lost in the past month either. I probably should up my exercise, but the fact of the matter is that I just don't have the time.

Went to a healthy cooking demo today. They were demo'ing pasta, I had a bit of the greek salad and some white beans. I'm not big on pasta. The salad I had had spinach, orzo pasta, chicken and some vinagrette dressing. I didn't have much at all. Then I stopped at this one sports store that just opened hoping they'd have a lounge chair for the pool, but they didn't. Stopped at a food store to get yogurt after the Y this morning and got a coupon for $1 off crackers, and I totally forgot that the crackers I need are on sale. So I'll get them on sale and use the coupon.

Strung more popcorn, and I'll probably do a bit more tomorrow.

jb - have fun this weekend. Sounds neat!

Barb - THIRD skin cancer??? Wow! I put on that sunscreen every day, regardless if I plan to be in the sun or not. Good luck to you. Yup stringing popcorn for the Christmas tree! Vince decorates BIG time for Halloween and Christmas, if I at least get this out of the way, then hopefully I can help him.

I'm going to finish the cantaloupe Vince won't eat tonight. I have one more to cut up, wonder if he'll eat it or will I wind up finishing it? Stay tuned!

Nancy - happy birthday to your dad AND you. Have a great weekend! You know, I get real hungry, too, after water aerobics. Something about being in the water. I always take a piece of fruit to the Y with me.

Laura - good luck to your hubby. Hope he gets the job. Hey, it's SOMETHING!

Teri - yea on reach your Sept. step goal!

Going to post this so that I mark my spot. Have a great evening everyone!

Michele
  • junerbooner
    junerbooner Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hello all... I have just caught up reading on everyone. We all lead such very busy lives. :flowerforyou:
    I want to wish Happy B-day to Nancy and her dad. I have one tomorrow.
    Happy anniversary to Amanda and Bigpal. :flowerforyou:
    Linda.. I was still having periods at 55 too:cry: . I finally quit the month I got married. :happy: There was good and bad to that:tongue: The bad was put on weight like crazy even though I didn't change my eating habits.:explode::mad: :sad: I was already too heavy and that was the last straw. It has to come off!! Be aware and don't let that happen to you.:flowerforyou:
    Tonitoni..Hang in there.:flowerforyou: I had a plateau last month and I thought I was never going to budge it. It did and I dropped 3 lbs all at once. :happy:
    auntiebk...The pooch is called Peaches. :laugh: She is my husband's and my baby!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: She really belongs to my step-daughter, Addalee's Mon, Jen. My husband, Donnie and I kind of stole her.:devil: Jen was working and couldn't take care of Peaches during the day as a puppy, and she left her with us. We got so attached to her, that Donnie won't give her up.:devil: :devil: She sleeps in our bed and rules the roost!:devil: :heart: :bigsmile: We love her!!:heart:

I have a big weekend planned. Saturday is my birthday and it is also our small towns social event of the year, "Calamity Jane Days". Yes, she was born near Princeton, MO. So a lot of people will be dropping by to say Hi and events to go see. On top of that, I plan to have a BBQ supper for my family.(around 12 or so people) I will try to behave and eat sensible, but I also plan to enjoy my day.:happy: So, if I gain a couple of pounds:mad: :angry::sad:, I will just pull them off next week, I will do it::bigsmile: I made the birthday goal that I made for myself back in June and I even lost an extra pound to boot. I feel proud of my efforts:glasses: :bigsmile:
    I wish everyone a super weekend and I will be back to tell you how I got along this weekend and how many pounds I have to get rid of. Hope it is a small number, like 0 or 1!!:tongue: Wish me luck. Bye for now
    June
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good early evening beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

My attitude is adjusted now and I'm feeling much more my spunky self. I met a friend this morning, the first thing he did was poke me in the shoulder ( hard too), and told me to get over myself:laugh: . Thank all you ladies for letting me vent here, and not telling me to get over it!!!!

Nancy:flowerforyou: happy birthday to you and your dad!!!!! It sounds like you're getting a good workout in at school! Oh, I have that book already "A Complaint Free World", I just haven't read it yet:embarassed: . I think I will start reading it tonight!!!

Laura80111:smile: congrats to hubby for getting a part time job. I know it's really hard right now, my brother has been out of work for almost 2 years, at this point he says he'll take anything.

Pjsentz:smile: oh I am not giving up, not a chance. I refuse to let a pound beat me. I WILL win this battle, it might take me awhile but in the end I will eventually win!!!

Kate:smile: congrats on getting to be a founding member, it sounds fun and exciting.

JaneMartin:smile: what you're doing for your community is just priceless!!!! I know all those people really appreciate you and your hard work!!!

Teri:smile: I once tracked my steps several years ago, the most I got before I lost my pedometer was 6,500, and I was completely exhausted:frown: . Seeing these women here get 20,000 steps just totally amazes me, and impresses me. When I finally get another one, my first goal will be to get to 10,000, and then increase it every day by at least a few steps!!!

DMomofThree:smile: I think MFP is a fabulous site too!!!

Jandhadji:smile: in my post that went into cyber space I told you I was jealous, your trip to Vail sounds absolutely perfect:love: ! I could just picture myself watching a good movie with a glass of wine in a beautiful place!!!!

Meg:smile: you're doing good on your exercise!!! Congrats on you 1 pound gone ( I found it, but I won't send it back:laugh: ). I took the Depo shot for about 12 years or so, I absolutely loved it, no periods at all. My GYN finally talked me into stopping it 2 1/2 years ago, and I'm happy to report still no periods:bigsmile: . He said after one year if it hadn't come back I was all clear. Woo hoo!!!! Have fun on your tricycle, post pics!!!!

Tigress:smile: I too think swimming with a hottie is a great NSV!!!

Lin:smile: I like that, a toast to us, at dinner I will raise my glass and toast all of the awesome women here:drinker: . Hope your dad is feeling and doing better:flowerforyou: .

Kathy:smile: have fun on your trip!!!!!

Lentigogirl:smile: yay for vintage red dresses and shoes to match:smokin: .

Michele:smile: I'm still so amazed at all you do. How in the world would you have time for more exercise in your day?

Junerbooner:smile::flowerforyou: Happy birthday!!! You're weekend sounds like it will be filled with lots of fun!!!

I guess I should start thinking about starting my dinner, tonight it's sea scallops on top of garlic spinach and roasted yellow squash, with maybe a salad thrown in for good measure, and maybe a tiny glass of wine, and a couple large glasses of water.

Hope you all have a wonderful relaxing night!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

Happy Anniversary dears.

Congrats on NSV's and I hear ya on the sodium bloat!!!!!

I am so glad that its Friday. I am looking forward to the weekend andif it kills me we WILL finish that damned dog house. It is so close. I beleive we will get the gravel for the run tomorrow so that will be a good workout.

I haven't cooked all week because of work stress so I am hoping to spend some time in the kitchen too.

Have a good evening all,

Robin (Bodi and Ritter)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    1223467ngn04mnj39.gif

Janehadji The graphics come from a great site called www.glittergraphics.com You can go there to find your own favorites or borrow mine by hitting quote on my post and then copying the code for the graphic and pasting it on your post or saving it on a document for use in the future. I learned all this from someone on MFP.

There are two major reasons that I get so many steps every day---first, I’m retired so I have a lot of time during the day to choose what I want to do, and second, when I have a choice of what to do, I walk or dance (at bedtime if I don’t have enough steps to suit me, I walk back and forth in my house for as long as I need to). I walk my dogs for two hours or more every morning so I have 10,000 steps before 8AM……some mornings I get up about 4 AM to get the walk completed before I have to go somewhere.

No time to write more because Jake wants to go for a walk and I can’t say no to that.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    1925484spnm6tfcy2.gif
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Two days of receptions -- and two receptions per day at that!) are definitely crimping my dieting style! But last night was the most wonderful poetry reading by the new US Poet Laureate, Natasha Trethewey. (The other three receptions were a university working group, the Librarian of Congress's 25th anniversary on the job, and tonight's birthday party for my dance studio) Having one of those I love my job moments.

So nice to hear when someone loves their job. Nowadays so many are trying to do the work of 2 or 3 and stress on the family is high. Keep up the good work!
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good Evening,

@Dee, Grouch away! We all have been there more than once & we are here to support each other.
    @Barbara -- Yes agree loving the cooler weather despite the smokey air. Lots of fun festivals & fairs this weekend.
    @Nancy-- Happy Birthday to you and your Dad.
    @Meg-- Congrats on the pound
    @Junerbooner Happy Birthday!

@Kathy Have a fun trip.

I know I ammissing someone sorry.

Today was good yestrday was too went to Mk nature center walk around a lot went to go home about a block away my Pt cruiser start to over heat. We just took it to Jiffy Lube for the works. So now its at the shop we do have a loaner but waiting to hear what the bill will be.:grumble: :grumble:

@Lin and everyone here MFP is awesome tool and this thread is wonderful too as you all know. Here is a toast to all of you :drinker: :drinker:

Have a good night,''

Liz:flowerforyou:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Hello Dear Ladies,

Have to BRAG a bit about yesterday. I hiked/climbed/crawled up Sphinx Mountain (here in MT) with a group of 5 other ladies all of whom were far younger than me. Most were in their 30s. We covered over 19 miles, gaining about 4,650 feet of elevation gain in about 9 hours. I am feeling very proud today...as well as pretty sore! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

I have massage booked for tomorrow...It is great to see the rewards of the workouts I have been doing for over 2 years & being able to get up that mountain was that kind of reward.

I will check back in soon but take care, Dear Ladies:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Kackie
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Wow! Kackie that is some accomplishment. I was thrilled just to get over 10K on my pedometer yesterday :laugh:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    Hello Dear Ladies,

Have to BRAG a bit about yesterday. I hiked/climbed/crawled up Sphinx Mountain (here in MT) with a group of 5 other ladies all of whom were far younger than me. Most were in their 30s. We covered over 19 miles, gaining about 4,650 feet of elevation gain in about 9 hours. I am feeling very proud today...as well as pretty sore! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

I have massage booked for tomorrow...It is great to see the rewards of the workouts I have been doing for over 2 years & being able to get up that mountain was that kind of reward.

I will check back in soon but take care, Dear Ladies:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Kackie

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Kackie, that is an awesome accomplishment.....i know how hard you have been working out and how focused you have been so I'm not too surprised that you could make that climb with a younger group. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good evening lovely ladies--

Sorry I'm posting so late. I've spent the last 2 hrs. getting caught up.

NSV for today: Was suppose to go to a choir picnic this evening but the weather has been cool and rainy so it was cancelled. Instead I went mall walking for 75 mins. :happy: Of course I did a little window shopping when I was done. :blushing:

As I was window shopping I thought of another goal: to be able to wear a belt without it it cutting into to me or bending in half because of too much fat. :bigsmile:

I want to share of couple of things that are helping me: 1) when I get done with dinner I brush my teeth. I'm less likely to eat again. I need to follow my own advice on this more often. :bigsmile: 2) I have a Brita water filter. I buy bottled water and refill them. Each night before I go to bed I fill 6 16.9 oz. bottles. My goal is to drink all of them. That totals just over 12 glasses of water. I really believe drinking all that water is making a difference.

I'm not sure what we are doing tomorrow but I hope to get a good walk in.

Happy Anniversary to those of you celebrating your love and Happy Birthday to those of you celebrating another year.

Don't forget to :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Good night all. :yawn: :yawn:

Micki
  • fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have missed the post about someone still having periods at 55 years old but I want to offer some advice that was given to me when I was still in my 30's. When you are out of your child bearing years, seek out a gynecologist. Not an OB/Gyn but someone that only practices gynecology. I was bleeding to death for ages and could not get any relief from treatment after treatment when I remember someone wise had told me this. I looked around and found just the doctor for me and she took care of the problem immediately. After years of frustration with my other doctors she knew just what to do. Not all practices have someone that only does gynecology so you may have to shop around but it is so worth it!
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Robin – Work stress makes me cook, wanna swap places???

DeeDee – your dinner sounds gourmet!

Lin – I will toast you right back and all the lovely ladies here.

Junerbooner – happy birthday to you, hope it’s a great one. Calamity Jane Days sound like fun, one of the first feminists – lol.

Lentigogirl – what a wonderful day it looks like you had. All those celebrations.

FattyPatty – I’m with Meg, HealthyHappyPatty soon I hope.

Meg – Vancouver actually got panned in fashion mags as too many women in lululemon that shouldn’t be wearing spandex. I don’t care, they are the best yoga wear ever…*but I think it was Nancy that thought she might get sent home, I’m actually not a teacher (although that is what I went to University to be before I found out that really wasn’t my calling). And if you buy Lululemon, you can be an honourary Canadian if you spell honourary the Canadian way – lol. However, LLL is also really big in California and some parts of the Midwest I hear.

Janehadji – absolute favourite is Khoresht Badenjan or Ghaimeh Koresht (actually any kind of koresht). About the only thing I make on a regular basis though is Tabouleh.

Lynn – love the ante-procrastination quote.

Kate – god bless all Guiders. What a positive activity and lifestyle guiding teaches.

Barbara – sorry, smell of parsnips makes me gag. They taste and smell like rotting carrots to me. I think cooked turnips, raw celery and parsnips in any form are the only vegetables I can’t abide. All the rest of the vegetable family – I love.

Nancy – total cracked up about the dancing, “don’t accidentally kick any dogs”. Hope your birthday spent with your dad is wonderful. I will think of JBoy next time I have yam mush (but I absolutely love yam mush with chopped ginger).

Well, it was a very busy day. By the time I was finished facilitating the strategic planning session, I felt like I could drink 10 glasses of water (like Liz). Looking forward to slow entry tomorrow with good coffee and the September Vogue fashion bible (right before I go out and put the finishing touches on my roof – lol). I wonder what the fashionistas wear to hammer nails?

Good night ladies, I’m going to veg with a good book and get a good rest tonight,.
    Lila
  • cjspensley
    Options
    OK, I fell in the cracks between the old September stuff and the new one. And the long note I just typed is totally gone. Grrrr. Where DO they go, anyway??? I'll try to remember what I said. Surely it was brilliant.:laugh:

Steve and the ice cream/dry cleaners/etc. I am concerned for him because he works with his head all day, and is mentally exhausted when he gets home. He crashes on the couch and watches tv, goes upstairs to his office and checks on work stuff (he is on call a lot), and worries a lot...he is 60, works in IT for a large retailer and much of their IT is being outsourced to India. If he loses his job, it will be hard to find another one so we are just holding our breath these days, hoping this lasts til he can actually retire. Meanwhile, he overeats, doesn't exercise, and I am concerned. He's on blood pressure and cholesterol meds...but recently he thought he'd just wean himself off of them and save the $$$...at the same time our family doc retired (with 2 weeks notice!) and referred us to a young guy. Steve went to him because the Rx refills were all used up, and loved the new guy. He explains everything...spent 20 minutes on the phone in follow-up explanation of what the meds do, what the numbers mean, etc. He is taking his food a little more seriously now, but still the snacking is out of control.

I'm concerned, too, because we lost a good friend 3 years ago to a heart attack. He was 42, had lost a significant amount of weight and was working hard to live a more healthy lifestyle with eating properly and exercising...I remember him saying he wanted to be there to see his daughters grow up...the girls were 9 and 13 when he died. So sad. So even with the trying and working at it and eating right...too much damage was already done and he is gone. I believe God is in control, but this concerns me for Steve because he just doesn't really seem to get it. He balks if I put "light" anything in the grocery cart, but will eat it without complaint if he doesn't see the packages. And I will give him credit for following my lead in asking for a box when restaurant food is served, and putting half away for tomorrow before starting to eat. And he's been patient with my tracking and entering in MFP before I order and eat.

I just finished making a breakfast casserole for a ladies' quilting group meeting tomorrow at church. Made it with Chorizo, green peppers and onion, instead of the usual ham or sausage and veggies, then mexican blend cheese, and it will be served with low-fat sour cream and salsa. Yum! It's a nice change of pace from the standard version. I entered the recipe in MFP and submitted it. Works out to about 330 calories per serving, at a fairly generous 10 servings from a Pyrex glass baking dish (it's bigger than 9x13 but not the huge one). More than my usual breakfast (low-fat yogurt and a cup of tea), but I will not need much lunch after that. Just hope I can gracefully avoid the muffins I know those fabulous bakers are bringing!

Soooooo, time to go plan what the group will be doing tomorrow. I haven't heard from my co-leader all week, so I guess it's up to me to figure that out (I usually do anyway, but we usually discuss it ahead of time). Need to do something simple enough for the beginners and still give the more experienced ones something that will challenge them. Such is life!
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Well after all my fretting I was down a pound anyway today. Another lesson in "Don't weigh every day!!!":smile:
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It is the end of another glorious day! The furnace came on last week, but this week it is the A/C - go figure!

My NSV....I took the bike out again this morning before it got windy and did my 40 minutes around the lake. It is getting better! I took pizza too the park at noon with the grandkids (and packed along a yummy salad for me!) It was fun to spend some time with them

DeeDee - your supper sounds fabulous! I love scallops! Glad you are feeling better too

Nancy - have a great weekend celebrating birthdays with your Dad

Kackie - What an accomplishment - you should be proud! I love to hike in the mountains - it is SO beautiful and good for the soul. I have really missed it the last couple of years with this crazy hip. but we still go out to wander and picnic and enjoy the beauty

Have a good night ladies. See you all tomorrow
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm thanking God right now! My son is at the base in Afghanistan that was attacked today. (Two marines were killed.) But he sent his wife a very brief text saying he is okay but couldn't talk. I am praying for the safety of all of the military...there and everywhere...and for the families of those who died today.

On a much lighter note, I tried the salmon experiment last night and was down 1.3 today. I don't like fish much, but I will eat it anyway if it will help me on this weight loss journey. Thanks to everyone who posts about that.

Eileen

I just got a text from Matt too. It's hard to see through the tears....
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Robin:smile: hope you get the fur boys house and run done, I know they will love it!!! How's the tapping?

Barbie:smile: a walk with Jake, that is a must do:love::love: :love: .

Liz:smile: hope the car bill will be low!!!

Kackie:smile: Congrats, congrats, congrats!!!!!!

Micki:smile: yay for mall walking!!!

Lila:smile: fashionistas wear whatever they want to wear to hammer nails, however since you're on the roof, no heels or short skirts:laugh: . My dinner was fabulous and I'm not a chef by any means, it was also beautiful, the white scallops on top of the green spinach and yellow squash, almost too pretty to eat.

Cj:smile: I hate losing my posts to cyber space, it's one thing that really annoys me!!! What are the things your hubby snacks on? Could you try to substitute something a bit healthier? Maybe watching you get healthier will inspire him to do the same.

Glenda:smile: yay for your bike ride and your picnic salad!!!

Eileen:smile: oh, I'm so sorry about the attack on your sons base. Saying a prayer for you, your son and all our brave men and women!!!! Congrats on the 1.3 lb. gone!!!! Salmon is like a magic fish, I have it at least once a week!!!

Today we are having a birthday party for my youngest granddaughter she turned 6 on Wed. She gets to pick out where she wants to go for lunch, so there is no telling what my lunch will consist of, will do my best to find something healthy on the menu. I got rid of a 1/2 pound this morning YAY!!!! I'm going to drink lots more water today to see if I can flush out the rest of the sodium!!!!

Have a wonderful fun Saturday!!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • nkosky
    nkosky Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    WOW! I hit the jack pot!! Women my age, with dogs, trying to lose weight!! Can I join your group? I did really well on MFP for about 5 months, lost 14 of the 20 I needed to lose, was going to the gym FAITHFULLY! and all of a sudden stopped everything! I've gained about 6 pounds back, the gym? Well that have become my monthly charitable donation! So, I need help and support! I'd love if some of you wonderful ladies would "friend" me, for additional support! I have a lovely group of friends on MFP, but always welcoming more! Nan from Central FL