WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• cjspensley
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    This has been a crazy busy week...most of 'em are, but this week I feel like I just haven't stopped. Lots of running around (which is good) but not much time to cook healthy meals, and that's a problem. Brown's Chicken one night...leftover Brown's the next night. Why does stuff that's not good for you have to taste so good???

I've been doing much better in the office with food. I work for a large church, and all the little groups that meet seem to include food, and when they have some left, they bring it upstairs to the office "for the staff" (because we all look like we're starving...NOT!) It is hard to walk past all that stuff sitting in the staff kitchen...big huge counter full of all sorts of goodies (baddies???). I have been resisting but it's hard.

Tonight was a banquet...our choir sang for a local organization's 20th anniversary dinner. The food was good, and reasonably healthy...well, except for the lady fingers, whipped cream and berries dessert! I still have this ridiculous compulsion to eat everything on the plate, even when it's more than I need or even want.

Haven't had time to ride my bike except this past Sunday, when I did about 10 miles. Rained Monday, and we went out for dinner with BIL, Tuesday we were babysitting the grandchild, Wednesday I had meetings at church, Thursday Choir rehearsal, tonight banquet, tomorrow a huge event at church. Not doing so hot on that part of my goals for September.

Weight is staying off, though it seems to zig-zag its way downwards. But general overall downward progress is good and I am pleased. Tomorrow I'll redo measurements and see how that's all going.

Chugging my cherry coke zero...I'm actually starting to like the stuff!

Cj
  • cjspensley
    Options
    Ginib - nice to meet another quilter here. Where do you live? Where do you go for retreats? I'm near Chicago, and go to Shipshewana IN several times a year...great shopping, good friends, and too much carb-rich food, but it's the food of my childhood and I love it.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies

It is a blue sky day here in London, so DH and I got off at a different tube station and walked through St James' Park to get to work. Stopped off to say hi to the pelicans and watch the most enormous swan taking off from the water - very impressive.

Thank you for all your kind comments about my photos. Sometimes I need to turn round and look back to see how far I have come, especially when I'm having a bad day. It would be relatively easy for me to go back to my old ways and undo all the hard work, but coming on to MFP certainly helps.

Why is that I always splash coffee on myself when I'm wearing white?? - I just had to stop typing and sponge my top. Grrr!

I am reading another 'happiness' book at present. It is called The Happiness Handbook by Ruth Clydesdale. It is definitely worth reading as it is extremely well written (even though I spotted a few daft mistakes that were missed by the proof reader - but that comes from all the years of proof reading that I've done!) There are some wonderful words of advice to be gleaned from it.

After spending quite some time reading all the posts this morning, I now have no time to respond to you all individually, but I am sending good thoughtwaves out to each and everyone of you - can you feel them? Give them a minute as they have a way to travel, but at some point during the day you will have a good moment - and I wished that on you!

Time for me to do some work.

Be happy and be kind to yourself, it will make all the difference.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Kate:smile: just two pounds to go to be on the wall, keep it up, you can do it. I hate when my body continues to play with a couple of pounds before letting them go. I seem to be there again, 1 pound down, 1 pound up, 1 pound down, 1 pound up, it's so irritating but I know if I just continue, those pounds will have no other choice but to come off! You make that wasp nest sound quite lovely "cuddled between the fence and the lilies":laugh: . How was the football game?

Jb:smile: I just had to do a double take -30 degrees:noway: , I just don't know how you lovely ladies do it. I've often said I could live no farther north than I am now in NC, when it's 30 degrees here I'm freezing. Brrrrr makes me cold just thinking about it!!!!

Meg:smile: oh what a morning you had!!!! First a nasty lady, then your numbers....I wouldn't worry too much about the 7 pound difference on the scale, all scales are so different. Steroid cream makes your blood glucose go up, I've been using a prescription steroid cream on my elbow for the last 9 months, I had my physical in May and everything was okay, however I might stop using that cream for awhile, switch to maybe Eurcerin and see how that goes. Congrats on the 2.2 pounds!!!!! Congrats to Ginny on her 3 pounds!!!! I'll take a margarita too:laugh: !!!!

Kathy:smile: I hope your sister will try the veggie recipes you send her, she might feel much better eating fresher foods. I keep a couple of Weight Watcher meals in the freezer, just for emergency use. How is the toe feeling? Have you been back in the pool lately?

Jen:smile: hope your foot feels better! A massage sounds wonderful:happy: !!! What kind of stuffed peppers are you going to make? I've had pablono peppers stuffed with ground sirloin, cheese and jalepenos, they are so good:love: !

Michele:smile: someone told me lemon in hot water is a natural diuretic. Do you have any idea why you ankles are swelling?

Liz:smile: hope you got a good nights sleep!!!

Barbie:smile: I'm reading "The Happiness Project" right now, it's a good read! My next book is "A Complaint Free World".

Cj:smile: sounds like you've been really busy! I like measurements better than the scale, they don't lie:laugh: !!!!

Amanda:smile: I'll have to check out your "happiness" book too. Thank you for the good thoughts, I got mine, sending you some as well!

Welcome to all the newbies:flowerforyou: , come back often and chat with us! This is an amazing group of women!!!!

I finish my antibiotics today:happy: :happy: :happy: . They have made my stomach feel icky:sick: , and they stink:huh: , when I open the bottle I have to hold it at arms length, and I have to hold my breath to get in my mouth......yuck!!!! I am very grateful that they have made me feel better though!!!!

Hope all you fabulous women have an equally fabulous day!!!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • DMOMofTHREE
    DMOMofTHREE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    :happy: Good Morning to all:flowerforyou:

This has become my new morning routine:
    reading all personal & work email
    checking Ebay & Amazon account to see if I need to ship anything
    sneaking a peak at Facebook
    and last but not least, logging into MFP:happy:

all while having my morning coffee, I haven't given it up this time like I have with past weight loss attempts, no headaches this time:drinker:
    I log it in with the sugar and light cream I usually take with it

It's going to be a busy day here, but I will pop in now and then to log in when I need that extra encouragement to stay on my plan. Easier to stay on course on a work day, when I pack my food.
    Have to be good this weekend, my second weigh in is Monday, may retake measurements then too.

Lynn
  • revpeg
    revpeg Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle -- I've heard that asparagus is a natural diuretic, but have never weighed myself the day before and the day after eating it, so I do not speak from experience, just from hearsay. It's tasty and nutritious, so it won't do any damage.....

Maybe it would be a good idea to check into why the ankles decided to swell up.

have a splendid day!

Peggy
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options
    Good morning all – still trying to keep up with everyone and unfortunately I’m doing a less than adequate job of it!! I do appreciate having all your updates to read. It is wonderful to have a resource of such caring and inspiring women to talk with.

Things remain kind of hectic and worrying with my dad. I’ll spare you the details. At least they have a family conference scheduled next Thursday where I can hear the therapists’ opinions on my dad’s condition and what they can do for him.

I’ve been home long enough now to have all the bills paid, my laundry done and almost all my errands caught up. But you know errands never seem to go away, it seems I’m always adding one to my list.

I did take a break the other day and met a friend at Costco. I don’t have a membership but she did and needed quite a few things for some food she’s making for her dog club meeting. I always find Costco very interesting and we looked around a bit in addition to her needed shopping. She got several bags of something called Skinny Pop which I’d never heard of before. She said it was wonderful popcorn. I looked at the big 10 oz. bag and indeed it looked pretty darn good to me to. It has only 39 calories per cup, no cholesterol, no gluten, non GMO, no preservatives, etc. etc. It is just popcorn, sunflower oil and salt. Not really salty either---4 cups has 50 mg of sodium which isn’t bad. Sometimes I just want to eat a lot of something without a lot of guilt. So I got a bag and maybe unfortunately, I LOVE IT. Gosh, it’s enough to make me want to get a Costco membership if this is one of their regular items.

Tomorrow is my weigh-in day---I missed last week’s weigh-in since I was out of town. Just for good measure I believe there will be salmon and green beans in my lunch today. This should close out my goal with the challenge group I joined to lose 20 lbs. in 3 months (end date October 1st). This was the 1st challenge group I joined on MFP. It’s been an interesting experience. The lady who started the group has had a lot of record keeping but I’m thankful she decided to start the group as it pushes you just a little bit harder.

Time to go----it’s a big football day here in Iowa----University of Iowa versus Iowa State University. I personally attended University of Northern Iowa and am wearing no colors today.

Be well, be safe. Hugs.......

Lin
    :drinker: :drinker:
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Today's NSV: my dance teacher asked if I'd lost a lot of weight and told me I looked terrific! More of an NSV: keeping up with dancers barely half my age.

All counteracted, of course, by brewing today and leftover pizza for lunch...

DS is home for the weekend and a legal driver again. Sighs of relief.
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    First 10lbs gone. Treated myself----ha ha not with food but purchased some Estee Lauder skin care products. Will see what the scale says next week. I am so committed. I weigh and measure everything. Has not had sodas nor juices for the past 5week since on MFP
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm in too!

I need routine!

Keep logging & losing
    Walk 2 miles M W F
    Get back to climbing stairs @ work
  • walker54
    walker54 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday Ladies!

Survived my first before-school session with the trainer yesterday. I didn’t have trouble getting up and out the door (everything packed the night before), but by the time I got home and fixed dinner, I was ready for bed. Figuring out the best schedule is always a stumbling block for me. For some reason I resist this step. Even when I see great success come from planning things out, I start to feel like I’m a captive of this elaborate structure around my life and I want to rebel. Anybody else struggle with this? I think I need a different way of looking at this that will help me resist the urge to chuck it all and revert to old, unhealthy behaviors.

Lila – Happy birthday and I hope you enjoy your visitors.

Amanda – Inspiring photos! Thanks for posting. It will help me stick to my goals for one more day. Thanks for the good thoughts, too!

Glendalight – So proud of you for getting your bike out and pumping up those tires all by yourself! That’s what I need to do! I hope your hip is feeling a little better today, and that you’re able to ride again, even if it’s only 10 minutes.

Deb A – I struggle with the DumbBoard,too! My new co-teacher uses an “airliner” all day, which I’ve never used. (It’s a small tablet you write on from anywhere in the room and it transmits your writing through Bluetooth to the SmartBoard.) She made it look so easy so I tried it (without practicing first) and had to bail out immediately and revert to the actual SmartBoard. Stayed after school yesterday to practice with that thing for almost 30 minutes. It’s very tricky! I’m still more comfortable at the old whiteboard, but I will keep practicing so I can have the flexibility of moving around the room and still be able to “write on the board.” I wish drinking water wasn’t a problem for me!

Gardengail – Making paper flowers sounds like a fun way to spend time with your friend.

Lentigogirl – Donuts were always one of my weaknesses when under stress. Now that I’ve gone gluten-free, I haven’t found a satisfactory replacement for them. Good luck with the financial planning this weekend, and enjoy your DS’s visit.

Nancy – Congrats on your 1# loss, AND on going to the spin class on a Friday afternoon! Enjoy the new Weber grill. Wish we had one.

Wessecg – sounds like you might need to eat more, not less. Or else you might need to spread out your calories to 5 or 6 smaller snack/meals so your metabolism will burn more steadily. You are burning a lot of calories! Were you able to go riding again this week?

Retskciv63 – Welcome! I agree with others that you try going to your boot camp and just let the instructor know about your tendonitis and your concerns. She/he might be able to give you some guidance. If not, listen to your body and stop or adjust your intensity level when you feel pain.. And if you discover that the boot camp is too much, then try something else. You might need to try several things before you find one you like that doesn’t lead to too much pain. Doing something is better than doing nothing.

Revpeg – Welcome to you, too! Good goals for September. Keep checking in on this thread for steady encouragement and support.

Kate – sounds like you recovered from forgetting THE birthday. Good work taking just a slim slice of the cake. Stick with it and you will break that 200 lb barrier before you know it.

Robin – Hope your trip to Tillamook is just the getaway that you need. Hope the rain stays away, too, so you can enjoy the drive. I’ve never been to Oregon but I hope to someday.

Cathy – Sorry that darned “custom” knee brace wasn’t quite right. It can be so frustrating when things aren’t what you are expecting. Here’s hoping the next go-around will be better. Doing chair exercises sounds like that might be a great alternative while you wait. Way to come up with a Plan B!

Jane – Hope you are feeling better today. How’s your house coming along?

Dixie – Happy to see you’re checking in. How are you managing these days? Still in my prayers.

Barbie – You picked a good hubby, didn’t you?

DeeDee – Size 12!!! And new undergarments, too??? What a great shopping trip! I can’t wait until I need to buy new clothes. One of the things on my list of “rewards” (when I reach 15 lbs lost) is to get some new clothes. Can’t wait! I don’t think I’ll make it down to Size 12 pants, but I might be at Size 14 and that will be an improvement. Glad you are finishing your antibiotics today! Hope you continue to gain energy.

Meg – it sounds like you had the health screening from hell. So sorry. But congratulations on the 2.2 lbs lost! You are heading in the right direction. Did you get that margarita you were thirsting for last night? I hope you can find out for sure about the steroid cream, and if that’s the culprit, that you can find an alternative without the side effects.

Jen – the massage definitely sounds preferable to pulling out a garden bed at your mom’s! Good planning on your part. Stuffed peppers can be delicious! I haven’t made them in awhile – maybe this week I’ll put them on the menu. They would make a great lunch if DH doesn’t like them. More for you! Can’t wait to hear the outcome of the pending sibling doubles match. Sounds fun! My siblings are spread all across the country (California, Denver, Milwaukee, and me in northern Virginia), so we never get together, especially now that both parents are gone. The best I can do is to visit with them one at a time.

HappyLady123 – Welcome. Lots of nurses in this thread, too. Happy belated 50th . You have some great goals for Sept. How long before your ankle heals?

Cj – I’ve been a lifetime member of the clean plate club, too. Does anyone else have childhood memories of hearing about the poor starving pagan babies? I remember thinking I would gladly send my cold, shriveled lima beans to them. Somehow I always seem to have room for dessert, especially at church events where there are usually a few people who are excellent bakers. Lady fingers with fresh berries isn’t THAT bad…

Time to get up and move! Lots of chores to do before the rain comes. Happy thoughts to all. Drink more water!:drinker:

Polly
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone.

Skipped the pool today, walked around the mall with DS instead. Love going to Bath and Body Works just to smell all the different fragrances and I like the Patricia Wexler line of skincare products even though they are a little pricey. Knees were actually bothering me more than my toe today but think it's because I did (for me) a more vigorous workout with squats included yesterday. Going to try to get some seated stretching yoga in today also. DH is on vacation next week so probably won't be on here as much since we will hopefully be getting some projects done around the house. Down 2 lbs. today but it's technically not my weigh in day until Monday so will have to wait and see. Fingers crossed that it will stay off!

Enjoy the weekend! Kathy

Every worthwhile accomplishment has a price tag attached to it. The question is always whether you are willing to pay the price to attain it – in hard work, sacrifice, patience, faith, and endurance.”

~John C. Maxwell~
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love reading everyone's posts. Someday I might try to answer individually too. Not quite ready for that yet.

Today I have to work off yet another barbeque. We have been having them or invited to them a couple times a week lately. Last night's was particularly hard...but so good. Well...the same pound I have been losing and gaining for weeks will have to be lost again.

Monday is school picture day. I would like to find a casual type of dress to wear, but I'm having no luck even though I can actually shop in the regular women's section for the first time in a LONG time. It's still pretty hot to wear long pants too.

Hot weather is good for getting the water in though:happy:

Have a good week everyone!

Eileen
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hello virtual buddies. Today is a better day. Last night….not so good food wise. We went to Cantina Laredo (a gourmet Mexican place, one of our favorites) and I had that margarita and a beautiful chicken dish and glass of wine. Plus guacamole dip and chips. OMG it was good. I started by cutting my entrée in half like always, but I just kept eating. I’d stop and put my napkin on the table, and then start up again! It was nice to get out with DH. Both of us have had a stressful week at home with the kids (the little one was telling lies Friday morning) and DH had a bad week at work. The good news is he has been wearing a real shoe and not doing too badly with it.

Today we slept late and went to Village Inn for brunch then went across the river to Council Bluffs and bought 2 recumbent bikes! They are so cool, and for the price, they better be! He got a regular one and I got a three-wheeler and love it. We had to leave them there (no way to get them home) and he will get them Friday. We ordered a special bike rack that will hold both of them and he’ll take the Jeep and the guy will install it and off we go. We also bought matching helmets and water bottles. OK< we are nerds...our bikes are the same color too! I can’t believe I am 53 and bought a tricycle! :bigsmile:

Kathy: I hope your sis takes your advice and begins to eat healthier. TV dinners, even “healthy” ones aren’t the best menu. You are a kind sister to be concerned and want to help. Glad you toe is getting better and better. :happy:

Jen: How old is your mother? She might be from the era where men can’t take care of themselves so she feels the need to continue feeding them. My mom was that way. I have some great stuffed pepper recipes, with meat and vegetarian. Yes you can freeze them and take them later, but the peppers will get a little softer.

Michele: I have heard that lemon in water is a diuretic, but don’t know for sure as I haven’t tried it. Your days always sound so busy!

Kackie: baby steps! You’ll get there! :flowerforyou:

Happylady: we are not all teachers, some of us are nurses too. I am a nurse who teaches LOL. :laugh: Welcome

Barbiecat: oh you and your dancing kitty still make me smile! You are such a positive person and I want to add some of that to my life, so I will check out the two books you mentioned. Thanks!!! :happy:

CJ: I am adopting your nickname for food “baddies”. I love the shift in my attitude when I think of eating baddies. :huh: I tried diet, caffeine free mountain dew the other day and actually liked it.

Amanda I am sure your positive thought waves contributed to today being a better one. Thanks!

DeeDee: Thanks for the info on the cream. I will be making a dermatologist appointment to see what else I can use that won’t mess up the blood glucose.

Lynn: I could never give up my 2 cups of coffee in the morning! :tongue:

Lin: don’t you just love early foot ball season? I’m a huge baseball fan, so it is a little bittersweet, but I do love the excitement of it. Good luck to your team.

Lentigogirl: Yay for the NSV!!! :flowerforyou:

12774: good for you on making your goal! That’s a nice treat for yourself. :flowerforyou:

Polly: I too feel that struggle with routine. The one I hate is planning menus & grocery shopping. I feel like I am always doing it. I start the week’s menu on Sunday, make the list by Tuesday, check out the ads Wednesday and add any specials to the list, grocery shop at Walmart Thursday, then grocery shop at HyVee for meat and anything I can’t get at Walmart Friday. If I do it this way, everything is fine but if I don’t, I can’t think of meals, screw up the list, forget stuff, etc etc etc. But I feel like I am a slave to it! :grumble:

Eileen: I can’t remember the last time I shopped in the regular women’s section! Good for you.

Well I am off to get some work done. DH is actually doing the grocery shopping today after all my carrying on about it to Polly. I had to work late on Thursday and we went out last night, so his treat for me was going today. YUK it’s Saturday and everything will be mobbed. You all take care, Meg :drinker:
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Gail (at least I think it was you) thank you I googled it and yup sounds like it...so I will be talking to doc about it when I see her..in the meantime will use anti-inflammatory cream on it and try the ice remedy and just treat it nice...see how that works...can you tell I have doc phobias?? LOL!:laugh:

I guess the work party at mom's was productive but I guess I will be getting my chops busted for having the nerve to go to my massage...A-i wasn't asked about it and B- I think they are jealous...yes I have my tiara (read princess) on today...big brothers will take care of that in no time! Meg- my mom is 79 and the boys are and will always be king...she doesn't like any of my SIL..who are all great people because I don't think anyone is good enough for her boys! It is what it is and I probably wouldn't change her(much) if I could.:wink:

Made my stuffed peppers and yup did not follow the recipe..kind of blended a couple of them...the stuffing is delicious (had to check seasonings) sonwill see what dh thinks...havenot told him its turkey..heh! Heh! Heh!:bigsmile:

Have a nice evening..will be watching college football tonight..LSU I think.my niece is one of the grad student trainers..maybe I will see her!:wink:

Hugs, high fives and prayers they get us through the day
    :heart:
    Jen
  • heelstead
    heelstead Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, I don't know how to do this but I want to join this group. I too am a retired teacher and my goal
    is to lose 20 lbs by Thanksgiving. I am giving MFB a try. I joined Curves but can't make sense of their
    weight loss program. I need all the encouragement I can get. I have such a hard time keeping my
    motivation up, especially when my hubby brings home goodies.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Ladies, it is so pretty in Texas - finally - that I have vowed to not spend much time on the computer so just dropping in to make my mark. I sure hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday. :bigsmile:
  • GiseleEva
    GiseleEva Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are doing well, keep the positive outlook it will make you strong. G.
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Update on the stuffed peppers...dh declared them "good" as opposed to "fine" so I guess I can make them again and we will be fighting over leftovers for lunch!!

:heart:
    Jen
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Jen, yes it was me that posted about Morton's Neuroma. You could also try some OTC orthotics in your shoes. I use 3/4 ones in my shoes and they help, but some days it seems I just have to stay off it. Going barefoot really gets it stirred up, so I try not to do that. (Though I'm currently barefoot and cooling off after mowing / trimming the grass!) When I went for my physical late last October getting the foot addressed was my #1 big item, but I never got to it before the heart stuff came to the front burner in March. Then I didn't want to do another surgery for it at that point, needed to get back to work, etc., so I got the orthotics as a stop gap measure.

The paper flowers were fun -- not something I'd do as a steady craft, but it was OK. We did enough for a sample bouquet for her to take to her daughter's tomorrow for approval. (They are table decs for the reception.) The wedding/reception is black and white, and my friend (Sue) is a graphic artist so she printed all sorts of cool papers to use. My favorite was black with white print on one side with their names and the back side was white with black print of "I love you" repeated. Sue is actually very creative and talented in many areas, besides being a fabulous friend of 20+ years. (That number is hard to believe!) We call each other 'sister from another mother'. Love her so much.

Everyone have a good evening. I need to work on a cross stitch for my brother's Christmas gift.
    Gail