Word prounounciations that drive you nuts

Options

Replies

• conservativek
    conservativek Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    nucular
    ^^^^ THISSSSS!!!!! AUGGGH! And paJAWmas. However, I can't judge... I say "tarlet" instead of toilet, and 'nanner instead of banana... and 'tater instead of potato. 'cause I'm a TOTAL hick... Friend me if you're a hick! Anybody?... Not really?... oh...
  • Khymera
    Options
    Hearing someone say "nukular" (nuclear) makes my head do Linda Blair spins.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    These drive me nuts!

Valentimes = VALENTINES
    Pacifically = SPECIFICALLY
    Axe/Axt = ASK
    Toof = TOOTH
    Polk Chop = PORK CHOP
    Witch you = WITH YOU
    Liberry = LIBRARY.
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    ....you spelt pronunciation wrong.....I suppose that would be a good example.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with all of the already mentioned words, especially axe for ask!

Sometimes written words can make me a bit crazy. Such as when people don't write the correct word for the application - confusing "your" (meaning belongs to someone) and "you're" which is a contraction of the words "you are". Another set is - to, too and two. They all sound the same but are used differently. "Too" means "also" but "to" does not! As in: I want to go too!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Aks, nothing drives me more bonkers.

an axe is what I'm swinging in the picture...

Bahahaha. Fo sho.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Orygun is how every person from Oregon (and the rest of the West) pronounces it. The people who live there get to decide what's right, and we snicker when East-Coasters say "Oreygohn."

One of mine is forte, which is pronounced "fort" not "fortay." But almost nobody knows that and I actually get the look like I am the moron when I say it right.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I had a boss that would say irregardless all the time as well as redic-ah-lus. funny huh?

my favorite misuse is nauseous v. nauseated

Ooh, high level grammar. Very few people recognize the chronic misuse of nauseous. Fist bump to you.
    Whenever people say they are nauseous, I always think "Oh, you're not that bad."
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    OMG, I HATE when people say comfort-a-ble. I don't know, maybe I'M the one saying it wrong. I say "comfturble."
    It also drives me batty when people say "car-a-mel." It's "carmel," darnit!!

(And yes, I know I spelled those words wrong, for all you grammar Nazis.)
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    OMG, I HATE when people say comfort-a-ble. I don't know, maybe I'M the one saying it wrong. I say "comfturble."

I pronounce it the way you do, but "comfort-a-ble" makes more sense, since that is the way it's spelled. After all, you don't "comftor" someone, you comfort them. But I'm still not changing the way I say it.

For the person who asked about California, I was born here and have lived here almost all my life. We use the R.

For the people that talked about the pronunciation of chipotle, you may get a kick out of this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRv9_Q3HOmg This commercial is the reason I mispronounce the word even though I'm from a Spanish speaking family and know perfectly well how to say it. :laugh:
  • GabriellaMaria
    GabriellaMaria Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    latte...not lahte, or larte, its latte..... as in hat, sat,fat,cat,pat,drat,prat,bat......
    get it now???:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :angry: :angry: :explode:
  • GabriellaMaria
    GabriellaMaria Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    latte...not lahte, or larte, its latte..... as in hat, sat,fat,cat,pat,drat,prat,bat......
    oh and for those that think it sounds posh as lahte...it doesnt, you sound like a pratt!!
    comes from the italian, cafe latte....(milky coffee)
    and if mcdonalds cant pronounce it right, well that tells you everything y ou need to know about them, doesnt it??grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • nicadee
    nicadee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    pacifically instead of specifically

know a couple of people that say pacifically, why!!!!!! :laugh:
  • Spanntastic12
    Options
    Libary and not library.
    Screet and scrong for street and strong.
    Teef for teeth.
  • DexterDarko
    Options
    Jewellery
    Basically
  • slenderizeme
    slenderizeme Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When people say envelope like onvelope
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

Actually, I don't. :laugh: Are you saying it's pronounced "lat", like the back muscle? Because I've always heard it as "lah-tey".
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    AmbAlance versus AmbUland

Axe vs ask

shoont vs shouldnt

cousinT vs cousin

tooken vs taken

pacific vs specific

aurm vs arm

yaurd vs yard

warsh vs wash

ackshully vs Actually ( I type the former online a lot because it does irk me) go figure

which is another.......

figger vs figure

day to day talking I think people get sloppy and dont pay attention. Though it should never be "ok"..I suspect it's more acceptable. What rubs my last nerve is when it's done in the professional setting.
  • charlottelouise12345
    Options

And OH MY GOD, pecan. It's "puh-cawn." Not "pee-can." A pee can is what you squat over in the woods when you go camping...

I have never ever heard 'puh-cawn' before! Is it an American thing?? cause I'm faaaaairly sure everyone in australia says 'pee-can' :p very interesting :)
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    the fu@king word I hear being used a lot lately...

conversate / conversating
    ....what happened to conversation? or even conversing. but CONVERSATE???

WTF is up with that?