WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    'morning!

I'll have a day alone at the office today - which either means chaos or serenity, never just normal! Hoping for the serenity so I can get to MY list of items.

Twitchy legs -- thanks for the feedback. I do know about RLS and magnesium deficiency. It was bad last fall when I went for my physical and they found I was very Vitamin D deficient and prescribed massive doses. Since then I've kept up a higher D3, plus a magnesium supplement. Now it seems the twitching is when I overdo things, as I did last Thursday. It does freak me out a bit as my dad had Parkinson's and my sister has it now. Dad's started when he was in his 70's, but my sister was late 50's. I'll have to ask about it again.

I need to get a physical, etc., scheduled again ~ October. I don't have to go to the cardiologist until mid-December (6-months follow up on the valve replacement at the end of March), but I'm sure they'll want all the blood work, etc., in their files.

Hope everyone has a great day!
    Gail
  • nkosky
    nkosky Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Wow! You ladies are amazing!! How do you ever keep up with all the posts! It's nice to know you're not alone in all your ups and downs.

I've been happily married for 31 years this October, and have two wonderful children, both college grads, but neither living near me. My daughter is in NC and my son is in Tallahassee Fl. about 5 hours from home. They're both independent and on their own. Nice, but we miss them both terribly. I'd do anything to have them both come walking through the door wondering what's for super. This is my 29th year of teaching, I do love it, but I feel myself getting tired. Most days too tired after school to go to the gym. I took a Zumba class this summer and really messed up my knee, hopefully it will get better, bike riding seems to be the best for me right now. I'd love to lose about 15 poinds and just get more fit!! Sounds easy, but so hard. Reading everyone's posts really helps, it's very motivational.

To the ladies with children serving over seas~my heart goes out to you, I can't imagine. You're children are brave beyond belief and I hope you see them home soon.

To everyone else~thank you for reading, hope you have a wonderful day! No school today, so I'm going to clean and do a little school work. I played all weekend, so today's a day to relax! Nan
    PS...I must get into those little smilies!!
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone!

I hit the city this weekend and power walked through the mall with my 15 year old daughter, who needed a new wardrobe for school and knows exactly what she likes and doesn't! She had plan and a budget and spent half of what she'd expected to...I'm so proud of her! I have been thinking that I've been far more active since school started, but even teaching all those Gr 9 and 11 drama classes the past three weeks didn't match up to this spate of activity. I didn't like having to eat at family restaurants, but we've learned that sharing an entree and a regular sized salad is more than satisfying, and I like the vegetable kim chi at the food court.

I didn't even try shopping for myself--the only plus size store in the mall was a Laura Plus, and I didn't want to spend that sort of money while I'm in this process. I'm heading to the States with a group of friends in February on Family Day weekend--looking forward to the choices and the cheap prices!

Wishing you all an active, healthy and happy day!
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Good morning, good morning, good morning!

Its weigh in day I have lost 3 lbs this week after gaining a pound last week. I am sitting right on top of that 200 lb. wall, right on top!! Wahoooo! I've got my hammer out and I am chipping away at it. I see my doctor on friday and desperately want to be under 200 ... I may weigh myself everyday this week just to make sure and then I will go back to once a week. I am so excited!!!

Now I better go put the coffee on and start this day but I just had to share my morning thrill!!

Be back soon! Wishing you all a spectacular day!
    Kate
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Hello, All!

Still trying to "catch up" with all of you! We are in MT for 2 more weeks and have friends coming out next week, so hoping to be a bit more engaged here. I miss you all!

Michelle: Your Pool is AWEsome! How very much fun you will have:-)

Barbara: (Auntie BK)...WTG with all the responses to everyone and I still need to set "Bark Less" as one of my goals. I have been a bit crabby lately for some reason!

Robin: LOVE your new kennel and doggie house...know they are enjoying it!

Anjonell: Good to hear from you and I love your photos. We both like to climb mountains, I see. I am going to try to change my profile photo to one from my recent hike here. come back often and WTG on your lose!

Jane: We are in Big Sky and we drove down toward Ennis and then South to access the trail head to The Sphinx Mountain trail. It is a remote but beautiful hike. I love MT...it is our "second Home" and a HUGE state. We always plan to travel around and see more of it while we are out here but there is so much to do right here, we seldom go far!

Thank you all for your kind comments...yes, I do feel proud of myself but need to get outside and move around today. I was a bit of a slug yesterday!

Take care, Everyone! Have a great week:flowerforyou: Kackie
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Good morning,
    I just read through the posts and will be back to comment. I love the wisdom of this board. You guys are awesome.
    Monday is my organization day. I do three different types of jobs (all good) but when the week begins the more organized I am, the better I feel. Today I only have the morning to get ready. My niece is coming over and I am taking her to lunch and we are going to get her birthday gift. I am so excited to be able to spend the afternoon with her. On Mondays, we usually have my friend's mom over for dinner (and Dancing with The Stars when it is on). I have dinner all ready so just a reheat. On to get ready for the rest of the week!!

Have a wonderful Monday!

Michele ....what a pool! And you got the photo!!!
    Barbie...I just love your puppy's picture!!!

Sally
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good Monday morning!

Had a wonderful weekend camping up in the mountains with friends, lots of songs sung around the campfire while tending foil-wrapped potatoes slowly roasting near the coals. There's nothing quite like a fire-roasted potato for breakfast, sliced and combined with bell pepper and onion. Besides eating, we hiked in the woods and played in the creek with all 4 dogs, played cards, drank plenty and got a bit silly, howling with laughter at the stupidest things, lol. Really fun time, and the weather was perfect-o!

Summer's hanging on, thank goodness for that. A full week of warm, sunny days in the forecast, my tomatoes will continue to ripen along with a peck of peppers that will need pickling. Busy garden time.

I wrote myself a note on my blog this morning about getting a little too comfortable and not exercising enough. Every now and then I have to pick myself up by the bootstraps and force myself to do some real cardio. And since it's finally getting light enough to go walk the track, I'm about to put on my running shoes and head out.

Have a great Monday, and hey Michele, nice pool!

:smile: jb http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jb_2011/view/don-t-get-too-comfortable-422486
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello all, and happy Monday :happy: (really, Monday can be happy!)

Our weekend in the city with my parents was fantabulous. :love: I don’t think my Dad suspected that all his daughters, sons-in-law and five out of ten grandchildren were going to show up to help him celebrate his 85th birthday. Of course it was my B’day too, so I came in for a bit of reflected glory. We had a chef’s menu with Okanagan wine pairings…oh, the best food in the world. My Mum and two of my three sisters log on MFP and we all decided it was one of those times when you just figure :noway: ”I’m over, it’s over” and end the day.

I also had a glorious shopping spree, which included three new pairs of shoes (I got shoes with heels, whoo hoo, :drinker: first time in years, thank you foot surgery!) and some new workout gear that can double for school clothes.

On the drive home we stopped to admire the exhibits and take in the entertainment at the Boundary District Fall Fair. I had to go for a walk/run after supper to burn off the ice cream. :ohwell: I did say no to DH's offer of a plate full of perogies, though.

The challenge now is to catch up on that 24 hours of exercise goal. It’s past the middle of the month and I’m only at 10.6. OK, time to start wearing the HRM at work and recording the morning fitness run/PE classes.

Congratulations Kate, you’ll be sliding off that 200 lb wall before you know it. :flowerforyou:

Hello nkosky, what are you teaching? I know what you mean about grown up children who live far away – we saw our 25 year old daughter for the first time since Christmas last weekend. It was lovely. Mind you, our 14 year old son still lives at home and still wants to know what’s for supper (and breakfast, and lunch, and every time in between) so I am not an empty nester yet.

Michelle, your pool looks fabulous! :drinker: I can imagine how relaxing it is to float around listening to the spillover.

Welcome to all the newcomers, congratulations to the “loosers”.

Plan what you eat, eat what you plan.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

September goals: (mid month review)

No bedtime snacks, no second helpings! I am doing quite well with this one, my second helpings have been veggies, if anything.
    Get the routine chores done – no procrastination! Well.....
    24 hours of exercise in the month. Total to date: 10.6 hours Yikes! I'd better pick up the pace. :explode:
    Be a role model of healthy living for my students. OK :tongue: I am running with them, and fielding soccer balls, and a few of them have spotted me at the Rec Center coming in/out of the gym.
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good morning!:flowerforyou:

Today it's time for me to get back on track with my goals! Up a half lb. this week so I'm going to double my efforts! My knees and foot are way too sore for the pool at the moment so back to chair exercise I go. Also, I have lots of decluttering to do from being gone for 3 days. Time to get busy!

Kate - Congrats on the 3 lb. loss! Way to lose! :smile:

Have a good day! :drinker:

Kathy
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone,

My sister's and I are back on the road heading home today. We have just gone thru Birmingham now heading towards Atlanta.

We have for the most part been good influences on one another. Big sis told me this morning that my bite of honey bun wasn't worth it but I had it anyway. But just one bite and the rest went in the trash.

We will spend the whole day in the car and get home around supper time. I'm supposed to go out to eat with friends tomorrow night but I may just stay home after having eaten out for 6 days I'm kinda ready to be at home.

We have had a great time and have found out we travel well together!

Have a great day everyone!

CINDY
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I had some challenges this weekend and met them!! First, after working strenuously for over 2 hours, I went inside and decided I could have some ice cream. I definitely had burned far more calories than I would consume for the day. And I was only going to have the 1/2 cup serving. But whoaaaaa, ice cream is the one thing that marks the beginning of the end for me every time. I justify it, and then each time it increases until next thing I know I am sitting down with a pint of Hagaan Das. I had two Yoplait yogurts instead.

Then yesterday I put on a pair of my "fat" jeans and they fit perfectly. A few weeks ago after having lost 6 pounds I thought I'd be fit in my fat clothes, but it turned out I only fit in my super fat clothes. This morning I put on a pair of my "fat" dress pants and they are actually loose. So goodbye super fat clothes, hello fat clothes and on to getting down to my regular clothes and eventually to my skinny clothes. I'm sure like most I have 6 different size clothes in my closet.

I am excited to be back on this journey and am very encouraged by the tenacity of everyone else on this board.
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Robin, those puppies looking out the window are so cute!
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all, just got back from the pool, I swam 50 minutes today with fewer stops. The lifeguard kept her eyes on me, I think she thought I was struggling. No, just going slow, so I didn't tire out to early. I stopped because my legs started to cramp.

Nancy-the seaweed tastes different, a little fishy, like the ocean, green and crispy. I like it!!! But I'm sure some would not. They were giving out samples at Costco this weekend. I tasted it and bought a box. They come in individual containers and the calories are listed wrong on here. It contains 1.5 servings per container so not 30 calories but 45 calories per container.

Wessecg- I bought some fudge pops (no sugar added) this weekend and had one. I no longer buy ice cream in cartons, because I lie to myself about how much I take. It is funny I wont lie to someone else, but I will lie to myself.

Well, I'm off to make the earrings. Tigress
  • anjoneill
    anjoneill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

DeeDee parsnips are delicious when they are roasted they are quite sweet in flavour and are a starchy carb. They can be coated with honey or Parmesan cheese before roasting or just basted or sprayed with oil.

The Hairy Bikers are celebrity chefs in the UK and are from the North East of England. If you google them they will probably come up. They have been losing weight and have out their recipies in a book which is on sale through Amazon.co.uk? This is the link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hairy-Dieters-Weight-ebook/dp/B008OYPMFM/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1347907641&sr=1-1

Wessecg well done on avoiding the ice cream and opting for yogurt. There will come a time when you are able to limit your intake of the things that you like to sensible serving sizes but in the meantime it is best to eat them in a controlled environment, e.g at a restaurant.

I have been fairly sensible all weekend with my food intake but succumbed to cake in the office today. It would have been fine if I had just had the one slice but I had two and was seriously tempted to get a 3rd but thankfully managed to avoid it. These episodes are getting futher apart but I still kick myself when they happen. Cake was my downfall in gaining weight before and I know that I need to be careful around it. I could blame pressures of work and worry about one of my cats who was not well yesterday but they would just be excuses and not the actual reason. Oh well tomorrow is another day.
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    So many new names since the last time I posted!:noway: WOW! Welcome to the Web Site that changed my life!:heart: I see some familiar names, too! Greetings to all! :flowerforyou: I started on August 14, 2009 and lost 54 pounds. Thanks to this website I am maintaining it and have for well over 2 years.:bigsmile: I'll admit my weight goal is higher than most people, but I think it's important to have a goal that is comfortable for you and can remain consistant with it.:wink: I weighed almost 200 pounds when I started and I am maintaining my weight at 140. To some that may be high, as some STARTED at that weight, but for me, going fom a size 16 - 18 to a size 10 feels quite comfortable.:bigsmile: There are days that I think I may go for another 5 pounds but for now I am happy:happy:
    The trick to making it work is keeping at it just "One Day at a Time". Just for today I will track my food....good or bad:laugh: Just for today I will exercise...and I end up exercising at least 5 times a week and many weeks everyday. Just for today I will drink at least 8 glasses of water. I don't care about tomorrow.....accept for planning to be surrounded by good nutritional food tomorrow...but for today I will track WHATEVER I eat. I don't post much anymore but stay linked to this site everyday.
    Anyone can do it! I am 64 years old and feel like I'm 30! :laugh:
    Have a great and blessed day!!!!! Will try to drop in again!
    BirdieM:love:
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks Birdym. I love to hear success stories - not that folks took the weight off - but they kept it off, those are the best! The lowest I've dieted to is 155 and that has been over 7 years ago now. My goal is 145 this time and I intend to get there and stay there when I do. I was in the 120's in my 20's, 130's in my 30's and the 140's in my 40's, but I swear I look as skinny at 155 now as I did when I was 135 back then. I am 53 and I will be thrilled to be in the 140's again. You rock.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Lovely Monday,

BirdieM- good to see you again and that you are maintaining:drinker:

It's taken me til mid afternoon to get caught up with Sunday & Monday....and have been real busy at work.

Congrats to those of you that have lost:flowerforyou: All your hard work paying off.

Welcome to all the newbies:flowerforyou:

I was so good Friday night & Saturday...then Sunday attacked me:sad: Over indulged in just about everything and the sodium was way out of control...glad I had my work week to get me back in line...one of these days I'm going to be so good over a whole weekend that I won't know what's taken me so long.

Our grocery shopping on Friday took longer than usual as we were reading labels to make good choices for hubbys low carb eating that he's started today. My next goal will be for him to be aware of how many calories he's eating...but will have to take it one step at a time:ohwell: At least he's already doing the working out so I'm thankful for the baby steps.

Our bike ride last evening we were counting deer at the Resevoir again, and have been watching how the babies are growing, and starting to get pretty big. I just love seeing the wildlife:happy:

Michele- I LOVE your pool & Spa:love: I'm sure you are getting ansy to see the landscaping and completion before the weather turns.

Robin was that your dog house and dog run? I can't remember, but it sure looked great :flowerforyou:

Everyone have a good evening , log it if you eat it, drink plenty of water and get up and get moving...we all want to be the best we can be:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I've had four high-calorie (>2000) days in a row of parties and receptions where I made it up and met my calorie goal with exercise, but I am feeling so very ready for normal eating again. It's also something of a NSV, I think, that what used to be normal eating for me is now over the top!

It all starts again this weekend (National Book Festival), when I have a reception Friday night and then the groaning tables of food for starving authors all day Saturday and Sunday, but for the next four days I can be sensible.
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Lentigo, I agree how foreign it seems now to consider what was once "normal" now seems so excessive! Funny, isn't it?

I went out for a five-mile walk this afternoon before the rain sets in. I love fall - such a great time of year!

Enjoy the evening -

M.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Holy cats. Today was crazy at clinical. So many really, really sick patients and running after the students, I am exhausted. The “stable” guy had no blood pressure and it got worse from there! :noway: The students did great though. I logged 2 hours of walking; I think that’s about right. People at work heard about me logging 1 hour for clinical and said “Are you kidding???” :noway: So I made it 2 hours but don’t want to “cheat”. I am sore all over today, probably because I did stretching yesterday, that always kills me for some reason!

It was cool and foggy this morning, then it rained some, kind of misty rain. Now it smells like fall. It’s so nice after such a long, hot, dry summer. Well that’s weird….the site booted me off for “maintenance.” Speaking of which, no update on my ticker yet….I’ve been emailing tech support and they cant’ figure it out. :sad:

Tigress: cat hair is a condiment. That really cracked me up. The smoke detectors went off half the night last night too for no reason. Finally, poor DH” had it and went to the 24 hour walmart and replaced all the batteries and that stopped if for now. It was weird because they are not connected, so one bad battery should not have made all of them (on 3 different floors) all go off at once.

Anjoneill: welcome to our group!

Eileen: so glad everything is ok with your son! That must be a huge relief :flowerforyou:

Polly: your hubby does sound like a keeper! Yay for your beautiful bike

Michele: you are always baking…how do you resist it? I meant a better zumba class that’s smaller and saner LOL

Robin: great dog house! I bet they love it! I saw the image of them peeking out their window and said “Hmmmm do they always pose like that?” :bigsmile: Then I read your comment about it being your avatar

Jen: keeping my fingers crossed for Mark too

DeeDee: Clean the smoke detectors???? OMG LOL I don’t clean at all. :bigsmile: Maybe I’ll leave them dirty so I can see all the cute firemen in their turn out gear too

Lin: enjoy the scallops…I love them!

Glenda: sometimes you just have no control over what you get to eat, but hopefully the fruit made up for some of it

Barbara: I hope your consultation goes well. I’ve seen some people after that surgery and they look great. Best wishes! “Tricycle smiles” that has a nice ring to it. Hmmm Riesling??? Didn’t think of that one…LOL :laugh:

Gardengail: that vitamin D deficiency seems to be rampant these days. I take magnesium when I get bad muscle spasms in my back and find it works well.

Nan: we are a chatty group aren’t we? It’s so nice to read all the posts and see what everyone else is doing. What grade do you teach?

Stardancer: where in the states will you be traveling?

Kate: Bang! Bang! Bang! I hoped that help you get another little ***** out of your 200 pound wall! :bigsmile: Good for you on the loss

Kackie: glad you are having a good trip!

Sally: boy organization does make a difference doesn’t it?

JB: Love your new pic! Glad you had a good time camping. I love to camp

Nancy: sounds like you had a great birthday trip. I bet dad loved all of you being there :happy:

Kathy: sorry to hear your knee and foot are bothering you! Wish I could help!

Cindy: I always wanted some sisters to travel with, so I’m jealous. I’m glad you had a good time though!

Wessecg: what great victories for you!

Well I’m beat. I know I missed some of you, but my eyes are drooping! Take care everyone and be strong. Meg :drinker: