Word prounounciations that drive you nuts

Options

Replies

• bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Sublime - I think the Americans (at least the voice over on a bronzing advert) say "sub-leem"

Lots of Americanisms of English words annoy me - but then I am from the UK and have had to start adapting now I live in Canada, although it's very mixed up here as to what people use - American or English!

I'm from the US and I've never heard anyone say sub-leem.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Gyro- Jirow
    Oregon- Orygun
    Washington-warshingon

Oregon- Ore GAHN.

Like... Can you read? It's Or-e-gun. Every time someone from another state pronounces it that way, I die a little inside.

:heart: Same with me.:cry:
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    One of my coworkers says Breakfass

I HATE prolly-- -wth is prolly? .. these people probably need a dictionary ;)
  • laracolette
    laracolette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    "yous"

... not a word people!

this one drives me crazy!!
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    A Hispanic teacher I used to work with used to call her husband, "whose-bend."
    As in, "I went to Red Robbin for dinner last night with my whose-bend." :laugh:

At first I was like, hmm, ok. Then she laughed and said that one of her student's mom's says husband that way and she thought it was so cute so she does it. LOL!
  • dub101
    dub101 Posts: 325
    Options
    IDEAR.. its idea... there is not R in the word so stop putting one there.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Spanish is my first language so I am sure I drive nuts lots of people with how I say some words! Yellow/Jello and Yale/Jail come to mind. Oh, when I say "Focus" it sounds like I am saying Fck it! so I avoid that one. In fact, I do lots of verbal gymnastics to avoid saying some words! LOL

To add to what drives me crazy: when people say: " I says"
  • dinoskycm
    Options
    Illinois...when you pronounce the "S" at the end! That drives me crazy!! My grandma also says "yelluh" instead of yellow. Where did the "W" go? It's like it disappeared. She also does that with similar words like pillow and window (pilluh and winduh) My biggest pet peeve is grammar though! Nothing irritates me more than receiving a text message and having to decipher it. I want to read....not solve a puzzle. Jussayin. Misspellings irritate me too. For example, people misuse "their, there, and they're" and "you're and your." Homophones are awesome if they are used the right way! Otherwise, I want to poke myself in the eye with a pen.
  • banshishi
    Options
    Route=root not rowt.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    When people say uman instead of human while trying to sound smart

I noticed this when I was in Canada - I assumed it was a Canadian thing!

I'm Canadian, and I've never heard it pronounced that way here. Not by English-as-a-First-Language speakers. If you went to Quebec, though, it might make sense. All of the Francophone teachers I've had growing up, who have had to speak/teach in English, have had trouble with pronouncing a hard "H". My 10th grade science teacher would always instruct us to "eat" the test tubes.

Speaking of hard "H"s: It really sounds awkward and pretentious when people use "an" instead of "a" before a word that starts with a hard "H" (ex: "an helicopter" is incorrect, so is the ever-popular "an historic"). You are supposed to use "a" before the word if it starts with a consonant sound, and "an" if it starts with a vowel sound (ex: "a helicopter" and "an hour" are both correct), regardless of how a word is spelled. Think of the "n" in "an" as a way of preventing the vowel sounds from blurring together.

On another note: does anyone else have a lot of difficulty with the word "rural"?
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    When people say uman instead of human while trying to sound smart

I noticed this when I was in Canada - I assumed it was a Canadian thing!

I'm Canadian, and I've never heard it pronounced that way here. Not by English-as-a-First-Language speakers. If you went to Quebec, though, it might make sense. All of the Francophone teachers I've had growing up, who have had to speak/teach in English, have had trouble with pronouncing a hard "H". My 10th grade science teacher would always instruct us to "eat" the test tubes.

Speaking of hard "H"s: It really sounds awkward and pretentious when people use "an" instead of "a" before a word that starts with a hard "H" (ex: "an helicopter" is incorrect, so is the ever-popular "an historic"). You are supposed to use "a" before the word if it starts with a consonant sound, and "an" if it starts with a vowel sound (ex: "a helicopter" and "an hour" are both correct), regardless of how a word is spelled. Think of the "n" in "an" as a way of preventing the vowel sounds from blurring together.

On another note: does anyone else have a lot of difficulty with the word "rural"?

That's why it annoys me when people say "an 'istorical." I want them to pronounce the H, and drop that N. BAH!

I can't say "rural" very well. Or "roaring." Or "mirror," which is doubly annoying because I HATE when people say "meer" instead of pronouncing it completely, and yet I can't pronounce it clearly myself. :grumble:
  • glengiles
    Options
    Supposubly instead of supposedly.
  • missjennifer1966
    missjennifer1966 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Supposubly instead of supposedly.

Yes definitely this, too!! And expecially.
  • michellevine1
    michellevine1 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    II have heard (not said) "Birfday" instead of birthday -
  • TheBiggestLosee
    Options
    The usage of your and you're irritates me a little. Can't think of any mispronounciations that annoy me off the top of my head.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    When you say "Vanilla essence", do you put a mystery R in there? "Vanillar essence"? "Vanilla ressence"? If so I hate you.
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Worcester (as in Massachusetts) pronounced WHOO-stir

Here in PA, we say "WAR-CEST-TER" for the nearby town that's spelled Worcester, but you're right: In MA, it's WUSS-TUH.

And speaking of accents, it reminds me of the following "joke": Did you know that the Three Wisemen were actually a bunch of firefighters from West Texas?
    Yeah...They came from A-FAR.

I didn't say it was a good joke - lol!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Chi-pol-tay

nuke-u-ler
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    When someone pronounces "awe inspiring" as "or inspiring" (England, someone on a TV advert says it at the moment and it makes me cringe)
  • salinas87
    Options
    Colonel!