The one book everyone should read?!?

Options

Replies

• Molly182
    Options
    You have to read the Devils Teardrop by Jeffery Deaver. He has a lot of great books. The Invisible Man, The Bodies Left Behind, The Coffin Dancer. It's a lengthy list, but The Devil's Teardrop is where I would start
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting an E-Reader of some sort. You don't need the top of the line and you could maybe find one on ebay as the bookworms tend to upgrade. I suggest this because you would be able to check out many books free or very cheap and if you get some friends that also have one you can even "loan" stuff. It would let you experience multiple genres until you figure out what you really like.

Or he could just go to the library. :-)
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Four, but best-selling doesn't mean quality. 50 Shades has outsold Harry Potter, for example. And Da Vinci Code was just awful. If you want to read Dan Brown, I suggest Angels and Demons.

I enjoyed both
    Dan Brown only has one story line.
  • bermudamel
    Options
    Ok so I have more than one!

the Harry Potter Series
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
    Naked Came the Manatee
    Many Lives, Many Masters
    The Princess Bride...yes the book (not that I didn't love the movie)...provides a better look into each character
    Zamba, the true story of the greatest lion who ever lived
    anything by Chris Van Allsberg
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options
    Timothy Ferriss - The 4-Hour Body
  • ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    As a guy looking for a classic...All Quiet on the Western Front.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am a very picky reader. If it doesn't get me from page one I tend to never pick it up again. If you like suspenseful type books then I would recommend James Patterson. His new series private has me hooked. I haven't read any of his other series yet but I have read several other of his books that are not part of a series and just love them.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon. I was going to say Ulysses by James Joyce, but I thought that might sound pretentious... and Wonder Boys is more fun.
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Don't know if these might have been suggested...but:

Homeland
    The Demon Awakens
    Highwayman (all 3 by RA Salvatore)

Shadowdale by Richard Awlinson

Tangled Webs by Elaine Cunningham (not a romance, trust me :) ).

The Wayfarer Redemption by Sara Douglas

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Pretty much all but the Dumas book are beginnings of series - and all of them will grab you and not let go :)
  • mrstweedle1
    mrstweedle1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Dan Brown's Sci Fi novels are actually quite good as well (Deception Point and Digital Fortress).
    Easy Reads - Harry Potter and The Hunger Games
    Easy Mystery - James Patterson
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Intrigued by the title I just looked that up. It was not what I was expecting!
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    ANYTHING by James Patterson or "A Painted House", and "The Broker ." by John Grisham
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    OP - the nice thing with books is that if one doesn't appeal to you, you can always pick up another. I would say there isn't 'one book' that everyone should read, but that people should find the 'one book' that really changes them. When I was younger, I would go to the library and check out a lot of books at a time. I would start reading them. I was pretty young, but the rule I had for myself was that I would read the first 10 pages. If I wasn't interested by then I would simply set that book aside and grab the next one.

When I was in high school, we were on a class trip and I borrowed a book from a friend. I was only able to get through less than half of the book, but I was so engrossed in it. I remembered it for years, but I couldn't remember the name of the book. About 15 years later, I was in a movie theater watching a new movie. There was my book! I bought the book on the way home from the movie - Lord of the Rings.

Will that one click for you? I have no idea. When I was younger, I read Anne Frank and Harriet Tubman until I wore out the books. Will those click for you? I have no idea again. I would suggest picking up some of the books in this thread from your local library and start reading. If you don't like them, move on.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy nonfiction for some good perspective, though I enjoy fiction sometimes too.

If you're interested in ideas surrounding religion and science: The Universe in a Single Atom by the Dalai Lama is a wonderful read.

If you love history:

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson (FANTASTICALLY written book on the history of science and the modern world)

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond (Wonderful book on how human societies got formed and why).

If you love biographies:

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass

John Adams by David McCullough

Caesar: Life of a Colossus by Adrian Goldsworthy (probably my favorite biography ever)

I don't believe in just having ONE book to rule them all per se, but there are a list that I find really enjoyable and enlightening. I've listed a few above.
  • bowseramanda
    bowseramanda Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting an E-Reader of some sort. You don't need the top of the line and you could maybe find one on ebay as the bookworms tend to upgrade. I suggest this because you would be able to check out many books free or very cheap and if you get some friends that also have one you can even "loan" stuff. It would let you experience multiple genres until you figure out what you really like.

Or he could just go to the library. :-)
    LOL that is true. I love books and bookstores and libraries but I was trying to see it thru the eyes of someone that doesn't. It may be a little less intimidating to browse at home. At least that's how it is with my hubby who is not a reader at all. He will at least use the nook to find something he likes.
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Oh yea...any thing by Mitch Albom! :)
  • G_Wiz87
    Options
    "Tuesdays With Morrie" is one of my go-to books.
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options

Intrigued by the title I just looked that up. It was not what I was expecting!

Still a good read though :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    As a guy looking for a classic...All Quiet on the Western Front.

That is a great book
  • rmarie1017
    rmarie1017 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! I'm always looking for a good book to read! :smile: