I am the only one here not following a low carb diet?!

Options

Replies

• pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i think i would end up starving myself if i didnt have carbs everything i like is carbtastic :D
    im a really fussy eater :(
    x
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't consciously choose to skip carbs, but the diet SHOULD not be carb based. 100 years ago when everyone worked on the farm or in a mine or whatever sure. Carbs were easy energy, easy calories.

I know if I have a choice between 3 cups of spinach loaded with vitamins and nutrients, or a slice of bread with next to nothing (and twice as many calories) I will take the spinach. I'm going to feel more full, and I'm going to get more out of it!

You would feel more full from 3 C of spinach than from a slice of whole grain bread?? I would not. But I'd cut it to 2 C of spinach, add a couple oz of protein and a little olive oil vinaigrette and wrap it all in whole grain wrap. Now that good mix of carbs, fat and protein will you really fill you up.

I would eat the slice of bread *AND* the spinach. Spinach is so low calorie that you can eat a LOT of it and still have room for a slice of bread. It's the butter on the bread that really ups those calories. But.... I found a butter spread made with olive oil that is actually pretty good and fairly low calorie. (Well, half the calories of regular butter anyway.)
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    No... im doing the 40, 40, 20. 40% carb/protein... and 20% fat.
  • sapphiretyger
    sapphiretyger Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am avoiding processed food in general, not necessarily low carb but low processing.
  • Ellas_Time_4_Change
    Options
    I am insulin resistant and I have to eat carbs at each meal.
    Really ? We must be working to a different definition of insulin resistance - try http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004546/

In general low carb is put forward as beneficial to insulin resistance - see http://www.heartlandnaturopathic.com/irdiet.htm for example.

http://www.jacn.org/content/23/2/177.short found that "Fasting glucose, insulin, and insulin resistance HOMA were significantly lower after the very low-carbohydrate diet"

I fear you have been misinformed.

Exactly! I'm sorry OP but patients I've worked with that have either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes benefit tremendously from reducing their carb intake. There is an increasing body of evidence that shows low carb diets (think Atkins, Paleo, Primal etc) to result in better long term blood glucose control. I suggest you gradually reduce your carb intake and note how you feel at different levels, all the best :)

Sorry, but my hubby's doctor told him the same thing. He said keep your carbs even, but don't eliminate them. My hubby's A1C is continuing downward each time he gets blood work done. Both the doctor and the diabetes nutritionist told him that he needs to try to eat fat and protein with his carbs at mealtimes.

Personally, I wouldn't trust any medical "professional" that advises a fad diet.

Low carb! Not no carb! Not a fad! Carbohydrates turn into sugar in your body. Eat good carbs, with high fiber. They take longer for your body to turn into sugar. Thus, evening out the glycemic response.

Low / Good carbs = GOOD
    No carb = NOT GOOD

Well said!
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Love carbs - that being said I don't necessarily eat a low carb diet. In fact, I find for myself I workout and excercise better when I incorporate carbs into my diet. I have just tried changing around the types of carbs (i.e. instead of plain white pasta I have switched to veggie pasta - I would do wheat but Hubby hates it). I also portion out my servings where as before I would eat about 1/2 to 3/4 of a box of plain pasta I now portion out the 1 to 2 servings of veggie pasta (whichever fits into my goals for the day).
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I don't eat low carb.

I eat adequate carb.

Happens to be around 50g a day for me right now.

I like to burn my body fat as my primary fuel, fuelled by logs not kindling, that kind of thing ...

Don't get hungry, don't crave food, don't exercise much and still losing fat.

Pretty tricky to argue with it so on I go ...
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    My ratio is 45% protein, 30% carb, 25% healthy fats.

I stick to higher protein but that is still enough carbs for me to have healthy energry and not overload.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want within my calories. Yesterday it was almost all carbs
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want within my calories. Yesterday it was almost all carbs

one extreme or the other doesnt work for me

for me, cant imagine eating 2000 calories of almost all carbs...bloat city
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i dont follow any specific "diet plan" because to me that is just setting myself up for failure..
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    ohh and i hate the word "diet" as it indicates a short term plan (which in the long run will do you no good) not a long term lifestyle change :)
  • cathyg57
    Options
    I have a much high protein than you; though it depends on overall calorie consumption, so if overall is high, then protein percentage tends to be lower relatively. Don't really care about carbs either way so I eat what I eat.
    Down to 12.8% body fat according to the scales this morning (first time seen below 13%), so something I'm doing must be working!

Oh and I believe the consensus is that the protein ratio used by MFP as standard is very low.

I am very glad you said that because I am trying to keep my carbs low with the exceptions of veggies, oats and berries and I eat way less carbs than the recommended ratio from MFP and way MORE protein. It is working for me so guees that is all that matters
  • eyesus34
    Options
    I signed up last year but really didn't use the site until August of this year. For the first month I stayed under my calorie intake but kept losing and gaining the same 2 pounds. I switched to low carb and I'm down 8 so far. All I know is calories in versus calories out is a complete fallacy (at least it is for me). With so much protein and fat in my diet, I can barely eat 1000 calories but I'm never hungry.
  • kevinremer
    Options
    I'm doing a 60/15/25 plan currently. But that's because on an average day, I workout 126 minutes and burn 1479 calories, so I need the fuel :)
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Really ? We must be working to a different definition of insulin resistance - try http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004546/

In general low carb is put forward as beneficial to insulin resistance - see http://www.heartlandnaturopathic.com/irdiet.htm for example.

http://www.jacn.org/content/23/2/177.short found that "Fasting glucose, insulin, and insulin resistance HOMA were significantly lower after the very low-carbohydrate diet"

Exactly! I'm sorry OP but patients I've worked with that have either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes benefit tremendously from reducing their carb intake. There is an increasing body of evidence that shows low carb diets (think Atkins, Paleo, Primal etc) to result in better long term blood glucose control. I suggest you gradually reduce your carb intake and note how you feel at different levels, all the best :)

Sorry, but my hubby's doctor told him the same thing. He said keep your carbs even, but don't eliminate them. My hubby's A1C is continuing downward each time he gets blood work done. Both the doctor and the diabetes nutritionist told him that he needs to try to eat fat and protein with his carbs at mealtimes.

Personally, I wouldn't trust any medical "professional" that advises a fad diet.

Low carb! Not no carb! Not a fad! Carbohydrates turn into sugar in your body. Eat good carbs, with high fiber. They take longer for your body to turn into sugar. Thus, evening out the glycemic response.

Low / Good carbs = GOOD
    No carb = NOT GOOD

Sorry, but the low carb diet, no matter the name, *IS* a fad. Ten years ago, there were low fat diets with a wide variety of names. Then some new books come out, and suddenly it's carbs making us fat. NO!!!

I guess the next fad is a low protein diet?

I would never venture to tell someone what to eat or how to live their life, but sacrificing one macro-nutrient for another is NOT going cause fat loss. You can believe what you will, but low carb will be a thing of the past, just as low-fat faded away.

And yes, OF COURSE, carbs turn to sugar in your body. Glucose is necessary for our bodies to function. That's why carbohydrates are a macro-nutrient. They are an important part of a healthy diet. Carbohydrates give us energy.

In fact, it could be stated simply:

Carbs = energy

Pick apart what you want, I guess. Read what I said, too many carbs at any one time WILL throw off the blood sugar response in Type 2 and IR patients. Eat some carbs. Eat healthier, high fiber carbs that take LONGER to digest. But, ultimately, do what you want to do and what works for you. I'm living with the disease personally, and I have found what works for me. My Dr. and I fully intend to, over the next year, reduce my medications, eliminating them within that time frame. Also, as I stated before, I fully believe that it is the exercise that has made a bigger difference for me than the diet. Honestly, I have found that I can eat pizza, potatoes, pasta - on a limited basis, without disrupting my system - as long as I continue to exercise (I feel like I'm repeating myself). I love my carbs. I have switched, as fully as I can, to higher fiber carbs (whole grain breads, whole grain pastas, brown rice, quinoa...). I still eat carbs, but MY endocrine system can't handle too much of it. Maybe the OP's and your husband's can. If so, good for them - that's great - everybody is different. I came here to offer what has worked for me, not to argue with you.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Other than maybe having more proteiny stuff the mornings after I go the gym, I eat what I want, when I want, in maybe a little more moderation than I used to.

I have just started to go through my diaries to see what my daily totals are like, but really... I just am trying to stick to around 1200 cals and exercise until I get my BMI to normal.

That will do me!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I don't eat low carb.

I eat adequate carb.

Happens to be around 50g a day for me right now.

I like to burn my body fat as my primary fuel, fuelled by logs not kindling, that kind of thing ...

Don't get hungry, don't crave food, don't exercise much and still losing fat.

Pretty tricky to argue with it so on I go ...

I guess if you aren't exercising much then you don't need as many carbs. I love to exercise though. It makes me feel great! :bigsmile:
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm not, only thing I count really is my calories and sodium I do count my fats but I let myself go over in that once in awhile. I eat just about anything I want except fried foods, once in awhile I'll eat something fried but later I'm wondering why I did that lol.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Low / Good carbs = GOOD
    No carb = NOT GOOD

Sorry, but the low carb diet, no matter the name, *IS* a fad. Ten years ago, there were low fat diets with a wide variety of names. Then some new books come out, and suddenly it's carbs making us fat. NO!!!

I guess the next fad is a low protein diet?

I would never venture to tell someone what to eat or how to live their life, but sacrificing one macro-nutrient for another is NOT going cause fat loss. You can believe what you will, but low carb will be a thing of the past, just as low-fat faded away.

And yes, OF COURSE, carbs turn to sugar in your body. Glucose is necessary for our bodies to function. That's why carbohydrates are a macro-nutrient. They are an important part of a healthy diet. Carbohydrates give us energy.

In fact, it could be stated simply:

Carbs = energy

Pick apart what you want, I guess. Read what I said, too many carbs at any one time WILL throw off the blood sugar response in Type 2 and IR patients. Eat some carbs. Eat healthier, high fiber carbs that take LONGER to digest. But, ultimately, do what you want to do and what works for you. I'm living with the disease personally, and I have found what works for me. My Dr. and I fully intend to, over the next year, reduce my medications, eliminating them within that time frame. Also, as I stated before, I fully believe that it is the exercise that has made a bigger difference for me than the diet. Honestly, I have found that I can eat pizza, potatoes, pasta - on a limited basis, without disrupting my system - as long as I continue to exercise (I feel like I'm repeating myself). I love my carbs. I have switched, as fully as I can, to higher fiber carbs (whole grain breads, whole grain pastas, brown rice, quinoa...). I still eat carbs, but MY endocrine system can't handle too much of it. Maybe the OP's and your husband's can. If so, good for them - that's great - everybody is different. I came here to offer what has worked for me, not to argue with you.

Yes, too many carbs can lead to too many calories. you don't need to put more energy into your body than what you are going to actually expend. That's just plain common sense.

But like I said, my husband's A1C is continuing downward, and he is on a lower dose of metformin now. And daily oatmeal has also lowered his blood pressure. It's important to maintain balance and to take in plenty of nutrients. Hubby also can not eat too much fiber because he has Crohn's disease, so I make sure he has a fair amount of fat to make up for it. It was tricky for me, for quite a while, to prepare the best foods for him with his medical conditions. But since I started MFP and preparing *balanced* meals, he hasn't had a single issue with his blood sugars or with his bowels. He is healthier than he has been for a long time. (and me too!)

Low carb is fine for some. Just like low fat might be fine or low protein. But for me, I like to include a variety of foods, so lowering the carbohydrate portion of my macros would make that too difficult.