Gun owners?

Options

Replies

• mdbs2004
    Options
    get a springfield xdm 3.8 9mm holds 20 rnds and it compact. and is reliable... i am hoping to get one some day.

i have the 5" version of this as well as the .40. Lovem!!
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    These stats may not be the most current, but there is no reason to think the psychology would be any different today.

Rapes averted when women carry or use firearms for protection

- Orlando, FL. In 1966-67, the media highly publicized a safety course which taught Orlando women how to use guns. The result: Orlando’s rape rate dropped 88% in 1967, whereas the rape rate remained constant in the rest of Florida and the nation.

- Nationwide. In 1979, the Carter Justice Department found that of more than 32,000 attempted rapes, 32% were actually committed. But when a woman was armed with a gun or knife, only 3% of the attempted rapes were actually successful.

**U.S. Department of Justice, Law Enforcement Assistance Administration, Rape Victimization in 26 American Cities (1979), p. 31.
  • TexanThom
    Options
    Better to have a gun and not need it, then to need a gun and not have it!!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    For home defense, forget the pistol, go rifle...or a good shotgun. Everyone knows the sound of a shotgun being cocked. Or as I've heard others say, "I'll only use my pistol to fight my way back to where I have my rifle."

If you want it to carry as well, like others have said, try 'em out. I love a 1911 .45 and have been considering a Glock. The only thing about carrying a large caliber is the weight and number of rounds. With my 9mm I get 16 rounds, but with the .45 I'd only have 11.

I personally am not a fan of .22, I really don't see the point of it for defense. Unless it's your little backup when things get really bad.

Just my 2 pennies.

Gun needs to be cocked to begin with. While it can be a terrifying sound, what if the person breaking in has an AK47 and hears you **** a shotgun? Probably gonna start unloading in your direction
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    This is so strange to me! aha!
    I'm from the U.K where there are VERY strict regulations for gun ownership including air guns.
    Blah
    My uncle had a rifle but when not in use it has to be kept unloaded in his house within a lockable metal container in a locked cupboard.....

hahaha!

im from the uk too and i really just dont understand the wanting a gun thing =s
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    So just to get this straight: you feel so unsafe in your own country that you feel the need to protect yourself with deadly weapons?
    And this does not bother you?

Aren't you all scared of the other people with guns then?

No because law abiding citizens don't shoot good guys and bad guys will have guns whether they are legal or not.

But they wouldn't if guns weren't commonly available, that's the point. The really, really bad guys would, those who know how to smuggle them into the country, but your average thug, or thief, or teenager high on drugs wouldn't.

If some kid breaks into my house to nick my TV, you can bet you last penny he won't have a gun with him - he wouldn't know where to get hold of one, and if he did he probably wouldn't risk the penalties that go with it.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    It is really disconcerting to log onto a health and fitness site and see a thread about guns. With pictures of guns.

I know it's not the first thread on this subject, and it won't be the last, but urgh :frown:

It's kinda scaring the crap out of me. I only know a handful of people (relatives) who own guns and those that do use them for hunting, otherwise they're locked safely away.

The whole concept weirds me out big time. They're simply not necessary.

You have no idea how many rapes are prevented every day because of a firearm, do you? A firearm makes a 100 pound woman just a powerful as a 250 aggressive man. Bad guys are everywhere. They are an evil necessity.

Really? How many rapes are prevented every day by guns? You have a verifiable statistic on that?

Rape isn't prevented by owning a gun, it's prevented by teaching men not to rape.

Here are some stats for you http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp#crime

Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year

I used to be one of those ppl that was scared of guns and thought that they were one of societies problems, except for in the last two years I have not only learned how to use a gun responsibly, I learned that their bad rap comes from ignorance and fear. Guns are a great resource and I fully believe in my right to own one thanks to 2a.

To build on this, who wants some sweet stories? All I did was google "woman defends herself with gun" (actually, it pulled up in Bing--sorry).

http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/11/03/woman-shoots-rapist-who-came-back-to-rape-her-for-a-second-time/

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0066ed

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/17327090/landrum-woman-fights-back-after-attack

http://www.wnd.com/2010/07/181341/

Then I did it for men too, to be fair:

http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2011/08/72-year-old-man-hit-by-baseball-bat-but.html

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4502062/victim-defends-himself-with-gun/

Got one for bears too: http://kentisland.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=politics&action=display&thread=4850
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Stated by a person who has probably never been raped. Boy I wish someone would have educated my attacker. I own a shotgun for HD. I am in the process of getting an AR 15. I am also trying to talk hubby into buying me a 9mm for conceal and carry. BTW, before anyone starts saying that this is rage driven or motivation for obtaining my weapons. My rape happened over 26 years ago. Just saying education does not stop them. It is not about intellectual thought. It is about power. If someone broke into my home today to do bodily harm to me or mine. Needless to say a body bag for the perp would be needed.
    edited for spelling
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Better to have a gun and not need it, then to need a gun and not have it!!

Agreed!
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Just got a 357 and f'n love it!!! You'll get used to it :)
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Stated by a person who has probably never been raped. Boy I wish someone would have educated my attacker. I own a shotgun for HD. I am in the process of getting an AR 15. I am also trying to hubby into buying me a 9mm for conceal and carry. BTW, before anyone starts saying that this is rage driven or motivation for obtaining my weapons. My rape happened over 26 years ago. Just saying education does not stop them. It is not about intellectual thought. It is about power. If someone broke into my home to day to do bodily harm to me or mine. Needless to say a body bag for the perp would be needed.

Well apparently, the rapist should have been taught not to rape. You can't just go around throwing your business into every snatch you see.
  • lunatikchik
    lunatikchik Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have owned in the past a 9 mm S&W was lovely
    a .38 Taurus Ultra lite hammer-less, good for purses doesn't get stuck when you need it
    but for me it had a bit of a kick, i have nerve damage in my wrists, but i was still a spot on shot with it
    I now have the Walther PK .380 and LOVE IT!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    For home defense, forget the pistol, go rifle...or a good shotgun. Everyone knows the sound of a shotgun being cocked. Or as I've heard others say, "I'll only use my pistol to fight my way back to where I have my rifle."

If you want it to carry as well, like others have said, try 'em out. I love a 1911 .45 and have been considering a Glock. The only thing about carrying a large caliber is the weight and number of rounds. With my 9mm I get 16 rounds, but with the .45 I'd only have 11.

I personally am not a fan of .22, I really don't see the point of it for defense. Unless it's your little backup when things get really bad.

Just my 2 pennies.

Gun needs to be cocked to begin with. While it can be a terrifying sound, what if the person breaking in has an AK47 and hears you **** a shotgun? Probably gonna start unloading in your direction

Better than hearing you cocking your .22 revolver. Just a suggestion, not everyone is going to agree. And if you reread what I said, the first thing I suggested was a rifle, then a pause for a lesser suggestion of a shotgun.

:)
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    For daily carry, LCP .380.

For home defense, the largest caliber you feel comfortable with(I have a Glock 19 that I love and am really comfortable with).

Also, the RIGHT .357 may be fine for you.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't have a carry permit, and I don't carry one. BUT - I have 3 at home for when the hubby is out of town, or just for target shooting fun.

I have a .22, a 9, and a .45. And I LOVE all three of them. But if someone came into my home in the middle of the night, and I had to grab one, I'd grab my .22 NO QUESTIONS.

It's enough to do damage if shot in the body, enough to kill if I go for your head, and I can control my shot the best. I can handle the 9 and a 45 when target shooting, but in an emergency situation, when your adreneline is rushing, and your hands are shaking, I don't need the extra kick back.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    All these women talking about guns is HOT!!! :love: :love:
  • wholelottarosa
    Options
    "Yeah - I actually feel much safer if I know more people are legally carrying guns."

Funny, I feel a lot safer without any guns around.

Also, all that hardwear doesn't seem to be stopping anyone from breaking into your place either.
    Besides, I'd prefer them to take the stuff and let the insurance deal with it that risk killing another person. My things aren't worth a human life.

Amazing things, those cultural differences.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    So just to get this straight: you feel so unsafe in your own country that you feel the need to protect yourself with deadly weapons?

No because law abiding citizens don't shoot good guys and bad guys will have guns whether they are legal or not.

Spot on!

But they wouldn't if guns weren't commonly available, that's the point. The really, really bad guys would, those who know how to smuggle them into the country, but your average thug, or thief, or teenager high on drugs wouldn't.

If some kid breaks into my house to nick my TV, you can bet you last penny he won't have a gun with him - he wouldn't know where to get hold of one, and if he did he probably wouldn't risk the penalties that go with it.
    Do you know what what instrument...

- Is either directly or indirectly used in 78% of all major US crimes, and;
    - Causes 117,000 US deaths a year, and;
    - Is the leading predicted factor is future human fatalities?

Cars.

I say we ban them.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Yup
  • Michelle81285
    Options
    I have a taurus slim 9mm... love it because it fits in my tiny little hand well!
This discussion has been closed.