you named your kid what???

Options

Replies

• IowaKate
    Options
    I went to school with boys named Abe Lincoln, Liberty and Omega. I can't seem to get into the trendy names. While I was coming up with names for my children, I based it on two criteria - it needed to be somehow tied into family names, and it need to sound good enough to be an American president. I just can't imagine calling someone President Mercedes, or President Moon Unit Zappa. Granted, I know that not everyone wants to be president, but I do believe people form first impressions based on a name alone.

That being said, my son is named after family, and is "Alexander Scott". My daughter is Annalise Claire. Anne and Elise are old family names, and I loved the way it melds together. After she was named, I learned that Anne Frank's formal name was Anneliese. : ) My step son's middle name is Dryu. Pronounced Drew. This is why my husband was not given naming rights to our children!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    and it needs to sound good enough to be an American president. I just can't imagine calling someone President Mercedes, or President Moon Unit Zappa.

I agree... your kid will one day have a career and will need to be taken seriously. If half the population can't figure out how to pronounce your kid's name, just think how it will be when he lands his first big kid job when he gets his degree. Yah, that will go over well with some of these names.
  • phantomprime
    phantomprime Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There was a guy I knew in high school who last name was Powers. He said in his yearbook if he ever has kids he would name his son "Magic" Sounds farfetched but it is a **true story**
  • seshchick2
    Options
    My cousin named his baby girl Persephone :indifferent:

I like this~ Wife of Hades can live with anything after that.
  • cblevitron
    Options
    acacia :huh: i was like, "i'm pretty sure i've seen that on the back of my box of laxatives before."
  • seshchick2
    Options
    reading a book~ Dangereuse is the lead character. It's french and I don't know if this is correct or not but it looks like it's pronounced "danger-roo"
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    The worst names I've ever heard. I kid you not, these are real names:

Notorious
    Reality
    Tangerine
    And the worst one of all: Vaginique :noway:
  • Dixie_Darling
    Options
    I grew up with a girl with the last name of Tiddy (sounds like titty when you say it). Her uncle's name was ****. **** Tiddy. **** married a woman named Bitsy. Can you imagine? Bitsy Tiddy?

They had a good sense of humor about it. They always joked that if they had a girl they would have named her Ophelia :)
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've heard some doozies in my time as well. I had a regular customer at a previous job named Pinky Ho. Another's first name was Girlie (can't remember the last name). A friend of mine had to be seriously talked out of naming her daughter Summer, a pretty name but her married last name was Rasberry so her daughter would have been Summer Rasberry, lol.

But you'd be surprised how difficult a normal name can be for people. My first name is Dawn and it gets butchered like crazy. Misspellings, I get called "Donna", "Deanna" or asked it if is "short for Donna" (wth?). I've gotten so I immediately spell it because most of the time it gets spelled "Don" and...well I'm not a boy, lol! I've long thought it would be awesome and funny to have a t-shirt with Dawn dishsoap on it : )
  • KetMed28
    KetMed28 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I named my son: Michael..i know it's a generic name :)
  • lostinthe619
    Options
    There were two girls named Nevaeh in my high school class...
  • glengiles
    Options
    A sister in law finally announced that they had arrived at a name for the forthcoming first baby, a girl, that would be named Amanda Lynn. I responded, 'That's cool because I have a guitar and you'll have a mandolin!' - See looked at me with pure hatred. My niece Amanda Marie has just finished grad school. :)

My kids have a friend named Austin Key, or as he's known around school, awww stinky.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Winter Violet
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    we went traditional with our daughter Annabelle Grace but if we ever have another girl I will name her Ripley !!!!
  • SocWkrBee
    Options
    Some of these are clearly urban legends. Everyone's autie/sister/cousin does not know twins named Lemonjello and Orangello!
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I went to school with a Rainy Storm and a Kandy Kane. I worked for D-land for 4 years and the girl that played Snow White in Fantasmic was actually named.....wait for it.....SNOW WHITE! It was her legal given name. She even had naturally black hair; didn't have to wear the wig. It was uncanny!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I once saw a resume from someone named Peter Smallwood

Srs.
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    I'm pretty tolerant of some names but then I wonder about others. Names that are purposely cruel to your child but they sound cute and funny? I think those names are best off saved for pets. I understand it's just a personal preference and that everyone is different.

One day while traveling I stopped at a roadside stop. I was a bit tired after having been on the road for a while so I had to listen closely after the first time to understand what a woman was calling out to her child. "Propecia'.

So yes, sometimes you hear a word and think that it might sound pretty in a way. Please verify what the word actually means first. I highly doubt that this girl enjoys being called a hair restoration drug.
  • tri10806
    tri10806 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    We were looking for errors on one of our systems---like the "Name" field should not contain numbers. This one kid's name was "B1witme". We had someone check the birth certificate and sure enough that was it. I guess it's short for "Be One With Me".
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    There used to be a politician in Mass. named D I C K Sweat.
    There was a guy where I worked named Ernest Stern.