Shocked by the calorie content

Options

Replies

• TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Picked up a food scale last week... Made a sammie this morning for work. Thought I would add a small amount of peanut butter as I was going to weigh it - over two hundred calories in peanut butter! 90 calories a tablespoon? Me and my new food scale are going to do a lot of falling out. We already have a nasty disagreement about what an ounce of cheese looks like...

Peanut butter can very good for you though. I eat it every day. gotta definitely watch how much you eat but if ya do it right, its very nutritious. and it tastes good...helps keep me from eating a lot worse junk, lol.
  • Peggb
    Peggb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    cheese!!! one little slice is too much...ugh - so sad.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Me and my new food scale are going to do a lot of falling out. We already have a nasty disagreement about what an ounce of cheese looks like...

Hahaha..... sorry but that made me laugh out loud for real.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    Nicest surprise was fresh strawberries.

Worst one, my first day using this site I thought I would weigh out my usual cereal, just Alpen, ok I did go over board with the amount 120g -- BUT that is the amount I used to have, and I didnt think anything of it because its just rabbit food - however 500+ calories later..... no wonder my rabbits are fat! Never touched Alpen since, moved onto Bran Flakes and only 40g. That was a real eye opener for me.
  • BluenoserChick
    BluenoserChick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    In Canada -- Montana's Smokehouse Wrap -- 1,379 calories.

Blew me right out of the water. Was so upset I was off track for a month. Cause of how stupid I was.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Definitely staggered by what is considered a portion. I would easily think nothing of having what I now know is 4 portions of cereal for breakfast. Even the so called healthy cereals like Special K are calorie laden.

Cheese was another thing I was shocked by. 30g is a portion, I then found out how much that actually is. Hardly enough to put on a cracker, let alone to fill a sandwhich!
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    On the crisp front, something I didn't know until watching my calories was that multipack bags are smaller than single packs off the shelf. SO if you're eating single packs you can drop some calories by buying a multipack.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Bananas, I can have something far more tasty for the calories.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    That little herb and garlic sauce pot that comes with Domino's pizza. Just one of them has about 200 calories. I won't be using them anymore. :(
  • lilteepot
    Options
    Lady at work made cake pops this past weekend, and brought three in for me. LIterally one bite per pop... 500 $#%&ing calories?!?!?! For THREE BITES!? Never again. I don't even LIKE cake!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Red Meats....

The night BEFORE I started using MFP I grilled a hugantic (it's a word, trust me) T-bone steak, medium rare, with a salad (including a small amount of dressing and some shredded cheddar cheese.) It was DEEEELICIOUS.

The next day, on MFP, I decided to create the meal just to check it out - holy COW - a 4-ounce serving of steak was 242 calories, and I KNEW that t-bone was more than a pound (including bone) WOAH!! Toss in some dressing and cheese on the salad, and I had consumed over 1,000 calories eating what I thought was an uber-healthy, low-carb meal...

It goes to show really that even a home-cooked meal can be pretty bad for you.

High cals =/= "bad for you"
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING!!! I never looked at a calorie until I was 30!!!!
  • darylspindler
    darylspindler Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yeah, one can is 750 calories. A large Wendy's Chili is less than 400!
  • rhvandan
    Options
    Most entrees when eating out. Really, something containing grilled chicken, tomatoes, and spinach somehow balloons up to 1230 calories? REALLY? Thanks, but I'll find a way to make something JUST AS GOOD at home for around 300.

On the other side of the spectrum, I'm a chocolaholic, and I have been happily surprised at the variety of delicious, tolerable calorie count treats available. Skinny Cow and Fiber One have some of the favorite snacks/desserts. Woohoo!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Definitely staggered by what is considered a portion. I would easily think nothing of having what I now know is 4 portions of cereal for breakfast. Even the so called healthy cereals like Special K are calorie laden.

Cheese was another thing I was shocked by. 30g is a portion, I then found out how much that actually is. Hardly enough to put on a cracker, let alone to fill a sandwhich!

Yes, cheese! If I have cheese, i have between 20-30g as part of a salad, that's it. Sooo many calories.

I don't bother with cereal either. Eggs and beans are much better - less calories, more protein and they actually fill you up.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    WINE
  • Arijaneen
    Options
    Milkshakes calorie content shocked me! A med size milkshake contains pretty much more calories the a Big Mac or whopper :( no more creams/sugars/milk for me... Oh and cheese is bad too :-( so pretty much most dairy product=bad except non fat yogurt.
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    Just about everything!
    I used to just look at calories but now I pay more attention to how many grams of fat are in food and my jaw has dropped a few times.

We sell cakes at my work and I used to think they weren't bad but a muffin was 500+ calories and I dread to think of how many grams of fat. Needless to say they don't look very appetising anymore!
  • annacarmel83
    Options
    Bananas, I can have something far more tasty for the calories.

I know I shouldn't, but I avoid fruit because of the amount of calories.

Also...SUGAR! I've been amazed at how much sugar fruit and milk contains. It's ridiculous!!! 200ml of skimmed milk is half my daily sugar allowance.
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Four Locos, 680 cals per can, and not primarily from ethanol, but from sucrose!