Shocked by the calorie content

Options

Replies

• paulvt65
    paulvt65 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Wow... one of the most useful MFP threads yet - and all without nekkid pics, rating people or guessing what they do for a living!
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

Me and my new food scale are going to do a lot of falling out. We already have a nasty disagreement about what an ounce of cheese looks like...

That is too funny giggle every time I think about it.....
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I work at a bakery, we always look at the calories in new stuff. We are still shocked by honey buns, which are 600 calories.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Oh , those bloody cookies at subway! I go into subway "to be good" then the next thing I know Ive bought 2 or 3 of those cookies, and at around 200cals each, its more calories then my measly salad sub!

Yeah, you'd be better off getting a 12 inch veggie sub than a 6 inch and cookies. Darn cookies look SO good....
  • paulvt65
    paulvt65 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    <WINE>

I'm pretty sure that I read that calories cannot survive in red wine due to the high alcohol content.

:smile:
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Raisins.
    Thought process: "They're like elderly grapes, how many calories can they be?"
    Nearly 500 calories a cup.

Yep that one shocked me. Was just going to add a them to my oatmeal read the box and decided there really NOT THAT GOOD...
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My OH likes ready made chicken pasta salads... Until I showed him the calorie content, they have around 1000 cals, for a lunch!

I would NEVER give up crisps, I just have to cut down and I do try to eat the 'corn snacks' like wotsits, space invaders, quavers etc instead which are more like 100 cals a bag.

What does "OH" mean?
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options

Also, I love the tips that have popped up now and again in this thread (like substituting sour cream with nonfat greek yogurt). Anyone else find substitutes for the things that had much higher calories than they expected? I would love to make a list.

Kraft's Fat Free Mayo, at 10 calories per tablespoon, is a decent tasting substitute for full fat mayo. Back in the day their fat free mayo was NASTY, but they've stepped up their game considerably since then.

Nature's Own Double Fiber bread, at 50 calories per slice, is not just a good "diet" bread, it's good bread. My family eats it as a matter of course.

Hebrew National 97% fat free hotdogs are an amazing 40 calorie compromise when you really want a 'dog. Pair it with a Nature's Own 80 calorie wheat hotdog roll and you almost feel like you aren't dieting.

Just a few off the top of my head.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Oh , those bloody cookies at subway! I go into subway "to be good" then the next thing I know Ive bought 2 or 3 of those cookies, and at around 200cals each, its more calories then my measly salad sub!

Yeah, you'd be better off getting a 12 inch veggie sub than a 6 inch and cookies. Darn cookies look SO good....

A 6 inch and cookies? Sounds like a fun date. :laugh:
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    years ago i bought a chicken and stuffing sandwich from Boots. Didn't occur to me to look at the nutritional content (this was about 15 years ago)
    anyway, i ate one half of the sandwich, which was well tasty but all of a sudden i felt really really full

so i look at the calories......the whole sandwich was 990 calories! i didn't eat the other half and i never bought one ever again!
  • hydelaa
    hydelaa Posts: 184
    Options
    Orange Juice. Like liquid candy. Haven't drank it in a year...

This one made me so mad!!! Everyone is going off about oj for breakfast and come to find out it is really high in cals :( I don't drink it anymore needless to say :(
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    One time after climbing, i was cold and hungry, so picked up a cheese and onion slice from the hot counter.
    470 calories!
    It was just supposed to keep me going till i drove the hour home and made dinner.
    At least i learnt never to do that again.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Marie Calendar's pot pies. I love them, but they're supposed to be 2 servings and high calories. Who only eats half the pot pie? I haven't had one in a year so I don't remember the calorie count, but it made me sick!

Same here! There's over 1000 calories in just ONE!
  • kimczz
    Options
    WHAT THE F*NG HELL ARE THEY PUTTING IN THAT CAKE?!?!?!?!!?!! PURE CRISCO??!!?!?!?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I find it much easier to keep track of calories by preparing my own simple foods. Lots of fruits and veggies, meat, fish, and a limited amount of tortillas, hot cereal, good bread, rice. I eat those foods not because they are necessary for weight loss, but because they make me feel good and it's much easier to control your calorie budget.

I'm always amazed at the calories in packaged foods. I check every so often at the store out of curiosity then put them right back down.
  • Tonya0605
    Tonya0605 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Picked up a food scale last week... Made a sammie this morning for work. Thought I would add a small amount of peanut butter as I was going to weigh it - over two hundred calories in peanut butter! 90 calories a tablespoon? Me and my new food scale are going to do a lot of falling out. We already have a nasty disagreement about what an ounce of cheese looks like...

^^ LOL....this made me LOL.........
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Sushi! I had no idea! Over 300 per roll and I used to easily polish off 3 plus tempura and a beer then pat myself on the back for not eating fast food.

what kind of sushi you eating?
    i get surprisingly nice sushi from my local supermarket and you get about9 pieces in the packet and the whole packet works out at around 350 cals
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Muffins are totally cake in disguise!! ;)
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Basically everything deliciously divine i.e. Chicken Curry, other asian food especially filipino ones (mabuhay!), everything I ever had loved!!! I still have them, just in moderation and smaller portions.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Donuts. They get me every time. I don't eat them often, but when I do I always regret is simply because they take so many calories out of my day.

My shock are muffins! And bagels!

I could have a donut and get the same calories as a muffin. Its crazy!