Shocked by the calorie content

Options

Replies

• shellihooten
    Options
    Oriental Chicken salad from Applebee's - Grilled Chicken. According to the website half of the salad is something like 690 calories!!! I almost fell off my chair when I logged that in!

I worked there when I was in college. I ate that salad all the time (which I thought was healthy) and ran around waitressing and couldn't understand why I was still fat. That's why! Gross!

I almost feel like Applebee's should put that as a disclaimer...like: Oriental Chicken Salad Only 1,380 calories! WTH lol! I thought I was doing good by only eating half of the salad at the restaurant and then I ate the other half later that night :grumble:

Agreed! Mind boggling at just how many calories are in restaurant foods and you'd think 'salad' = good for you! So many menus anymore have the calories listed. I rarely eat out, but I sure do watch the calories. Especially when one item can be your whole count for one day!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I ate a burger today that had 1400 cals, shocking and tasty
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    WaWa French Vanilla coffee. I cannot remember how many calories, but I do recall being surprised that there were ANY calories in the coffee.
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    liquid calories make me horribly angry. I've never been a juice drinker, but cocktails, all kinds of alcohol, and even the odd home-blended fruit smoothie - all not worth the numbers in my opinion. been sticking to water haha!
  • HMToomey
    Options
    Muffins!

Ditto...they've slowly gotten enormous and it doesn't take a whole lot of looking to find a 700 (or more!) calorie muffin.

And Pop-Tarts. Just ONE is 220 cals (and who doesn't eat both in the wrapper?)

I have a box of pop tarts in my pantry and when I haven't come close to reaching calorie goal I will eat a pack. Seriously, people save the second one for later?

I make my own food 80% of the time but the first time I entered Flour into a recipe I was floored to learn one cup was 440 calories! Oh, and 2 measly tablespoons of frosting is a whopping 200 calories!!! That makes the cupcakes I make look all sweet and innocent coming in at an astounding 700 calories! :sad:

I so need to stop baking or work out non stop till the end of the year!!!
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Picked up a food scale last week... Made a sammie this morning for work. Thought I would add a small amount of peanut butter as I was going to weigh it - over two hundred calories in peanut butter! 90 calories a tablespoon? Me and my new food scale are going to do a lot of falling out. We already have a nasty disagreement about what an ounce of cheese looks like...

Peanut butter can very good for you though. I eat it every day. gotta definitely watch how much you eat but if ya do it right, its very nutritious. and it tastes good...helps keep me from eating a lot worse junk, lol.

^ agreed
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Bakery cookies, anything from 350-500 calories, ack. And I really like them.
    Choc chunk shortbread, around 400 calories.
    Don't find doughnuts nearly too bad compared to a cookie or shortbread.
    Ben and Jerry;s was a surprise too, really high calorie ice cream but quite addictive.
    And yes, cake, amazing that just a small slice can add up to anything from 600-1000 calories. I used to regularly, like daily, have a piece of the chocolate cake starbucks used to do, and that was about 800 a slice. But fortunately, I rollerskated an hour a day then,and was normal weight as I always have been,
    Cereals are a shocker, I wont buy them now. I cannot deal with the normal portion size so just don't bother.
    Nut cutlets - 280 calories each, I can have 2 wild salmon fillets for the same as one piffling nut cutlet.
    In fact, many veggie things seem calorific, so I stick to my fish mostly.
    Biscuits - some, especially the nice luxury ones at Marks and Spencers are up to 120 calories each. Insane.
  • midgey86
    Options
    Me and my new food scale are going to do a lot of falling out. We already have a nasty disagreement about what an ounce of cheese looks like...

Hahaha..... sorry but that made me laugh out loud for real.

haha it made me laugh too. it's so true! i had no idea how much i was eating until i got a food scale!!
  • OlsenG318
    Options
    Not that I expected it to be a healthy, low-calorie treat...a medium cookie dough blizzard at DQ is 1,020 cals. Now I can't even look at the mini size without thinking "an hour of cardio to burn you off. I don't need ice cream that badly"
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    We used to go through at least 2 gallons a week between me and hubby... Since MFP we haven't went through two or three gallons in almost 18 months!!!

I miss milk! :cry:

I drink it everyday. I still go through 2 gallons a week :0
  • shinjite
    Options
    Baked sweet potato chips. I thought they would be healthy since they are baked and not fried. The bag said no additives so should be really low cal right? Wrong. A 10 oz bag - about 6 servings - 5 chips per servings and 200 cals. The chips were not thick either - about the same as regular potato chips. ANd it was super expensive too - $4 for the bag.
    I decided it was much simpler to buy a few sweet potatoes and bake them.
  • paulvt65
    paulvt65 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    How about chocolate mint Girl Guide cookies.... My eldest is in Brownies and we have three cases on the house! The little critters are barely the size of a quarter and pack a mean sixty calories each... I know from experience I can eat half the box - left side or right side, doesn't matter to me - with a mug of tea!
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    How about chocolate mint Girl Guide cookies.... My eldest is in Brownies and we have three cases on the house! The little critters are barely the size of a quarter and pack a mean sixty calories each... I know from experience I can eat half the box - left side or right side, doesn't matter to me - with a mug of tea!
    MMM I LOVE those. Havent had them in a few years but I could probably also easily eat half the box with some milk.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Carrot cake at my local coffee shop... Id have a slice every time I went in and recently found out that EACH SLICE is 1500cals!

Holy cow! 1500 per SLICE??? That's insane!
  • Treesy72
    Options
    Carrot Cake is my favorite thing in the world! This thread ruined my life............... :sad:
  • sweetshugbaby
    Options
    Cranberry Walnut cookies!. 170 calories PER COOKIE! I used to down them, maybe 6 or more in a day (if I had them on hand) UNTIL I saw the calories....oh crap. Now I limit myself to no more than 1 or 2 cookies maybe 3x a month.
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    A large cinaplex popcorn with no butter is 1100 calories!! That one really hurt, I love going to the movies....
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Oriental Chicken salad from Applebee's - Grilled Chicken. According to the website half of the salad is something like 690 calories!!! I almost fell off my chair when I logged that in!
    Yeah, that broke my heart.

Olive Garden salad/breadsticks. ONE serving is 150 but I can finish an entire bowl. I'm guessing that there are at least 4 servings in that bowl.
  • KB0JWR
    KB0JWR Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Post GrapeNuts..... 400/cup....WOW!!!
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Post GrapeNuts..... 400/cup....WOW!!!

Oh yeah! Mini-Wheats!! A serving is like 20 pcs! I counted them out and each one of my bowls (with skim) for breakfast was coming in at 600 cals. I was eating 3 servings without even thinking about it. Breakfast cereal has to be taken with moderation...