Top 5 gym pet peeves

Options

Replies

• feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I always have makeup on at the gym because I go right after my workday, didn't realize people even noticed!
  • Miche37
    Options
    I agree with a lot of these...except one! Sometimes I end up picking a treadmill next to someone. It's because of what is on the tv, no other reason. I go to the gym mid-morning and I absolutely refuse to be in front of a tv with a game show on it...and apparently other people feel the same because people tend to huddle around certain tvs even though there are open spaces elsewhere.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options

Oh, and the creepiest thing is when there is an entire empty row of treadmills, but a person that just walks in has to use the one next to me. I don't care if it's a hot guy or a grandma, give me some space in an empty gym.
    yesyesyes x 1000. Or when they start rubbernecking and looking at your stats. You want to be like "...um...can i help you?!"
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I hate all people and even though I go to a public gym I wish no other people were there. And the people who are there are aholes if they don't do they same exact things I do. And even if they do the same things I do, they are still jerks if they do them anywhere in my vicinity. People that wear nicer clothes than me to the gym are sluts. People that wear worse clothes than me are bums.

To sum it up:
    1. I believe my $30 membership fee should get me private access.
    2. I'm going to take the elliptical right in front of the TV that's showing the game, and everyone else should stay 5 machines away even if they can't see the game from there.
    3. all people that aren't me are inconsiderate aholes. Or sluts.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Oh, and the creepiest thing is when there is an entire empty row of treadmills, but a person that just walks in has to use the one next to me. I don't care if it's a hot guy or a grandma, give me some space in an empty gym.
    yesyesyes x 1000. Or when they start rubbernecking and looking at your stats. You want to be like "...um...can i help you?!"

I hate it when people creep your stats/settings! I realize it's probably 50% not intentionally looking, just eye gaze, and 50% their own insecutiy, but it irritates me.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I hate all people and even though I go to a public gym I wish no other people were there. And the people who are there are aholes if they don't do they same exact things I do. And even if they do the same things I do, they are still jerks if they do them anywhere in my vicinity. People that wear nicer clothes than me to the gym are sluts. People that wear worse clothes than me are bums.

To sum it up:
    2. I'm going to take the elliptical right in front of the TV that's showing the game, and everyone else should stay 5 machines away even if they can't see the game from there.

(restored faith in humanity)
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    KIDS in my group exercise classes. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE kids but I don't happen to love when they are putting me, other people, and themselves in danger. The other day I took my first Zumba class and this kid was in there zinging stability balls around the room...into the line on 'traffic'! She was also building a castle with the free weights in the room which limited the space available for people to work out. Just plain irritating!

Another thing that got on my nerves recently (this morning actually) was a man got on the elliptical (right next to me of course) and his deoderant or aftershave or something was so overpowering...it is like he bathed in it. I literally gagged. I actually just gagged again thinking about it.

And yeah..what's up with the naked people sashaying around the locker room for endless amoutnts of time?
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    1. people who hover over you until your done a machine...not gonna make me go faster people
    2. people who use mutilple machines at once
    3. 3 of the 6 tv's have golf on ( i promptly get them to change the stations)
    4. people who feel the need to stare at you.for some reason.......and I give them the stink eye and they still don't take a hint and continue to stare
    5. & the prost-a-tots...yes the girls that come to the gym, dressed to impress with as little as possible, do not break a sweat, chat on their phones the whole time, using a machine that someone else can be using, taking up space...why are you here...get to the nightclub where you obviously need to be
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    1. Grunters
    2. Too much perfume
    3. Machine hogs
    4. Too much BO
    5. Poor locker room etiquette--this one is really grinding me this week... Women who hog the benches. Women who lose giant clumps of hair in the shower and leave it stuck to the wall. Women who leave used feminine hygiene products in the showers or on the benches. YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Miche37
    Options
    Holla.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    i cant stand it when people curl in the squat rack without using the preacher curl bench.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    1. You're attractive. Men will show an interest in you. There are worse things in life than that.
    2 - 5. agreed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I am working out and random dudes come over and ask me to spot them..I am like WTF don't you see ME working out damn...then I spot them and they are like "how many reps did I get up" and I am like "you were not counting" good lord....yea, I hate the chicks all done up too...its a freaking gym not a club...damn...
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

To sum it up:

Bahahaha. I love this.
  • ohmyshysamantha
    ohmyshysamantha Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    1. People who offer advice to me when I have my head phones in particularly when I seem to be struggling with something. I have a rather large tummy and an old knee injury and when I was in the abs section of planet fitness last night doing wall squats with free weights (3 pound ones) I did a 15 second squat then stood for 5-10 seconds, 10 second squat, stood for ten seconds, and I did that for about 5 minutes. A guy came up to me and said "you're not going to get anywhere if you dont stay down longer" To which I pointed to my knee brace and informed him if I stayed down longer my knee would give out and I would be on the floor. I talked to a trainer when I started doing these. You're not him. I dont want to talk to you.

2. Guys that come in in groups of 3-8 that take up 5-6 machines and only use one at a time. Theres enough of you that you can pair off and have one person working and one person spotting on each machine.

3. People who dont wipe down machines. I wipe mine down before and after each use. I have a job that I cant go to if I'm working and its flu season. I dont want your germs

4. People who have dozens of items with them to use a treadmill you dont need a bottle of water, your car keys, a magazine, a towel, your smartphone, an ipad, and 2 sets of headphones + a sweatshirt. there are lockers for that stuff. or a hook to hang up your keys and leave the rest in the car. I have the pandora app on my phone to listen to music & I log my exersice on MFP after each machine and I have a job that requires me to be reachable at all times which I why I bring my phone with me but I walk over to the wall by the locker rooms where nobody ever is to use my phone. And if I have a book I need to read for class I've been known to read it on a bike but the second I get off the bike I go put it back in my locker. You dont need the entire contents of your purse with you to work out.

5. I actually have an issue with some people who work at my gym. This one girl who is obviously fit gives me a dirty look everytime I come in. And one guy is overly enthusiastic when he sees me because we went to school together from middle school up and in 6th grade he was part of a group of guys who brought multiple cans of slimfast to school with them and threw them at me when I was getting my books out of my locker. When he saw me he asked how I was because he knew I moved out of state and said I looked good and he was shocked I was in a tshirt because in all the years hes known me he'd never seen me not wearing a sweatshirt (i have really bad scars on my arms from cutting in middle school/high school) To which I was nice enough when responding but then asked him how many heavy girls here he'd thrown cans of slimfast at. So now hes overly nice to me since that day and it drives me absolutely insane. Like really youve been an *kitten* to me the last ten years dont start being a nice guy now.
  • wicklc
    wicklc Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Oh I absolutely LOVE when cutesie girls go to the gym with their hair down, cutesie clothes, make up, and walk on the treadmill at 3.0 mph without breaking a sweat. You're obviously here to get a good workout. NOW GET OFF THE TREADMILL SO I CAN USE IT.

haha I totally agree with this one!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I live in an apartment complex with a pretty nice gym that includes bench and bar bells, machines and cardio equipment. The management does a good job of keeping the gym clean and the equipment functioning well.

There is a sign clearly posted that no one under 18 years of age is allowed in the gym without adult supervision. Unfortunately, there is a pack of teenaged boys (13-16 years) that hang out in there after school, goofing around on the equipment, but mostly just taking up space while socializing. They are nice kids, and I support their interest in exercise and fitness, but it is really intimidating to ask this pack to move it along so that others can use the machines, too. I've seen other residents walk into the gym and walk right back out again due to the dozen or so teenagers in there.

It would be nice if the management would enforce the rules for underage gym usage.
  • bellydancer124
    Options

To sum it up:

(restored faith in humanity)

Agreed. :laugh: :laugh:
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I have machines in my home, but was considering joining a gym to get the benefit of classes and other machines I don't have. I WILL NOT be spending my good money to be miserable! Thanks for the heads up folks!
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    All of yours I agree with. Especially the hogging machines while they text or just sit. On that note, there is a trend at my gym for folks to "save" machines.....they will put their crap on it and walk away, go get water, text.....ugh!

The one thing that annoys me is in the locker room, other ladies hogging the ENTIRE bench to get ready.

And, maybe it's awful, but the ladies who just walk around naked and just....hang out without their clothes on.....that kind of weirds me out. I change at the gym sometimes but it's pretty quick and I spend as little time as possible in the locker room naked. My gym has these ladies who just take off all their clothes...and then just hang out. Put their make up on, wander around the locker room putting away their towels or folding their gym clothes. It's just weird to me. Put your clothes on!!!!:noway:

This for sure! Maybe I've just mastered the art of changing into sports bras without being completely naked, but why is it necessary to hang out naked so long? I can understand getting naked to change, but why take your time? Once, this woman was RIGHT NEXT to me, butt naked for a few minutes, and I had to turn and her bush was RIGHT IN my face! Really? Not appreciated, thanks!