Top 5 gym pet peeves

Options

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Saw a guy at the Y recently that looked like a clone of the "I pick things up and put them down" guy from the planet fitness commercial. First time ever seeing that type at a Y. I almost laughed out loud.

Peeves? Hogging in its many forms. From sitting there between sets, or hovering/blocking all so they don't have to move the damn pin back. I do quick sets and rotate through 3 machines at a time so I don't "hog" anything. And sometimes a hog will come in and just sit there completely messing up my rhythm.
    At my Y, no one under 14 is allowed to use the weight room. 14 to 16 have to go through a class first.

Things that make me chuckle a little but not on the peeve list. Guys that swing and jerk the weights instead of a focused lift . It only fools themselves into thinking they are stronger than they are while risking long term damage. I'm not talking about "clean and jerk." I'm too old to do anything but stay focused on good form so I don't hurt anymore joints. :bigsmile:
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    NOT RE-RACKING WEIGHT IN THEIR PROPER SPOTS!!!! If your DB says 75LBS on it and there is a designated 75LBS spot for it then dont put it in the 25LBS spot. You picked the weight up to begin with, YOU PUT IT AWAY WHERE IT BELONGS!
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I hate all people and even though I go to a public gym I wish no other people were there. And the people who are there are aholes if they don't do they same exact things I do. And even if they do the same things I do, they are still jerks if they do them anywhere in my vicinity. People that wear nicer clothes than me to the gym are sluts. People that wear worse clothes than me are bums.

To sum it up:
    1. I believe my $30 membership fee should get me private access.
    2. I'm going to take the elliptical right in front of the TV that's showing the game, and everyone else should stay 5 machines away even if they can't see the game from there.
    3. all people that aren't me are inconsiderate aholes. Or sluts.

Bahahaha. I love this.

I am still laughing at this one, too.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Screw you guys, I look cute at the gym and work harder than almost everyone else in there. ..... It takes just as long to put on something cute as it does to put on sh*tty clothes. Why does looking good equate to weakness/laziness?

Ha ha! Stop making sense. Rub your face in the dirt before you go so people won't feel inferior and less cute and for heaven's sake dress like a man so others won't be intimidated by how good of shape you're in. Might want to wear a ratty wig so your hair doesn't distract too. Stop standing out and become wall paper like everyone else.

In the summer, this happens a lot. I do the dreadmill when it rains. It's fun to race. But in the winter some marathon chick smoked me at 9 MPH for 30 minutes.
    I'd just have to ask for running tips and bow to the superiority of the running god on the machine beside me. I'm sure this will happen some day but most of the people on the treadmills don't have a chance.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Oh I absolutely LOVE when cutesie girls go to the gym with their hair down, cutesie clothes, make up, and walk on the treadmill at 3.0 mph without breaking a sweat. You're obviously here to get a good workout. NOW GET OFF THE TREADMILL SO I CAN USE IT.

This just reminded me of Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion...walking on the treadmill in heels!! Hilarious!
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Oh I absolutely LOVE when cutesie girls go to the gym with their hair down, cutesie clothes, make up, and walk on the treadmill at 3.0 mph without breaking a sweat. You're obviously here to get a good workout. NOW GET OFF THE TREADMILL SO I CAN USE IT.

I most definitely agree with this. There was a girl at my gym who showed up with SPARKLES on her face daily, hair done somewhat nicely and I don't recall her ever breaking a sweat. Ridiculous.

Screw you guys, I look cute at the gym and work harder than almost everyone else in there. By the end of the workout, I'm sweaty but my makeup (usually) hasn't budged. I work out in the morning, and just wear my makeup from the previous day. When I lift, I leave my hair down. Apparently there's some huge judgmental female rule against this. It f*cking hurts my head to lie on a bench with a giant lump of elastic digging into my skull. I wear cute workout clothes. It takes just as long to put on something cute as it does to put on sh*tty clothes. Why does looking good equate to weakness/laziness? I'm stronger than a lot of the guys and I have actually broken a treadmill while running at its top speed. There's so much hate on this site about makeup at the gym.

MMMM yea the point was that if you are going to get on a treadmill and do nothing, then don't waste your time at the gym when there is a HUGE line for the treadmill. The makeup part wasn't even the main point of this. A little defensive, aren't we?

Just irritated that the whole makeup thing is a recurring theme on this site. If it's about not working out hard enough, why does it have to be prefaced with a complaint about makeup?
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Love it!

My biggest one is talking to me. I have my headphones in, cranked up. Gym time is MY time. Leave me alone.
  • VWilson_Momoftwinsplus1
    Options
    1. Dirty or unkempt gym and gym machines.
    2. People on cell phones.
    3. People wanting to workout with me (not in a group class evironment). I'm a loner and my pace is different from others. I hate having to slow things down for a gym buddy (love you but workout on your own).
    4. Loud headphones. I shouldn't be able to hear your music if you are using headphones.
    5. A smelly person beside me. I often grow tired of the gym because of this. We workout entirely to close together if you're on a cardio machine.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    People who are at the gym caring about what other people do
  • ToughTulip
    Options

I do this on my lunch break. Get a little calorie burn going and still look good enough for class and work later.
  • xxempress
    Options
    1. Old naked guys wagging their little dudes around in the locker room. --Old dudes wearing their daughter's gym shorts BARF
    2. 85 year old broads with implants
    3. Fat personal trainers
    4. Big chested bros with twig legs
    5. The fact that my gym NEVER has the baseball game on any of its TVs.

^this! Also broads that are continually checking themselves out in the mirror &looking around to make sure she's being noticed. Hang it uppp!
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I hate all people and even though I go to a public gym I wish no other people were there. And the people who are there are aholes if they don't do they same exact things I do. And even if they do the same things I do, they are still jerks if they do them anywhere in my vicinity. People that wear nicer clothes than me to the gym are sluts. People that wear worse clothes than me are bums.

To sum it up:
    2. I'm going to take the elliptical right in front of the TV that's showing the game, and everyone else should stay 5 machines away even if they can't see the game from there.

YES!! This ^^^
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Mine would be people who sit around and judge everybody at the gym for things that don't even affect them.

Why do you care if somebody is lifting lighter weights than you, wearing makeup or walking slowly on the treadmill? Focus on yourself.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Peeves? Hogging in its many forms. From sitting there between sets, or hovering/blocking all so they don't have to move the damn pin back. I do quick sets and rotate through 3 machines at a time so I don't "hog" anything. And sometimes a hog will come in and just sit there completely messing up my rhythm.

Wait!!! What????
  • snoopy7501
    snoopy7501 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

To sum it up:

Bwahaha, perfect! :)

I only have one peeve: people who take dumbbells off the rack to some remote part of the gym to do whatever they're doing, then leave them there, usually hidden behind some machine.
  • ToughTulip
    Options

I most definitely agree with this. There was a girl at my gym who showed up with SPARKLES on her face daily, hair done somewhat nicely and I don't recall her ever breaking a sweat. Ridiculous.

Screw you guys, I look cute at the gym and work harder than almost everyone else in there. By the end of the workout, I'm sweaty but my makeup (usually) hasn't budged. I work out in the morning, and just wear my makeup from the previous day. When I lift, I leave my hair down. Apparently there's some huge judgmental female rule against this. It f*cking hurts my head to lie on a bench with a giant lump of elastic digging into my skull. I wear cute workout clothes. It takes just as long to put on something cute as it does to put on sh*tty clothes. Why does looking good equate to weakness/laziness? I'm stronger than a lot of the guys and I have actually broken a treadmill while running at its top speed. There's so much hate on this site about makeup at the gym.

MMMM yea the point was that if you are going to get on a treadmill and do nothing, then don't waste your time at the gym when there is a HUGE line for the treadmill. The makeup part wasn't even the main point of this. A little defensive, aren't we?

So what? Walking is still doing something. better than sitting on your *kitten*. No matter what pace they are at, they still deserve time on a machine as much as you tiger.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've read what everybody has written and pretty much agree with EVERYTHING. I tend to go to the gym on off peak hours to avoid much of this. But just can't seem to escape the one person having to be on a piece of equipment RIGHT next to me when there are 20 other identical pieces available and THEN proceeding to jut out his elbows and keep hitting my arm even though I'm in MY personal space...really???

And this hasn't happened in a while...but there is this one guy who will "sing" along to his music...horrible.
  • ToughTulip
    Options
    Mine would be people who sit around and judge everybody at the gym for things that don't even affect them.

Why do you care if somebody is lifting lighter weights than you, wearing makeup or walking slowly on the treadmill? Focus on yourself.

:heart:
  • MidlifeGlowUp
    MidlifeGlowUp Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    What are everyone's biggest pet peeves about the gym? Mine would be.....

1. My biggest one is......When people (when I say people it's guys 99% of the time) talk to me. Leave me alone please, I'm not friendly, I'm not at the gym to make any new friends. I want to focus on my workout & go home. I purposely walk around the gym without making eye contact with anyone & I keep a stern look on my face & try & look as unapproachable as possible. But, the brave ones still bother me. Then when I tell them that I'm married they have the nerve to ask me where my wedding ring is! Why would I wear my beautiful wedding ring to the gym while I am lifting weights & can scratch it all up?

A guy actually pulled out his phone and photographed my behind. SMH. I'm glad most of my workouts happen outside the gym.
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When there's a bunch of treadmills open but people want to pick the ones right next to you :P not sure why it bugs me, but it does :P