Top 5 gym pet peeves

Options

Replies

• Thor2020
    Thor2020 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start taking pics of people who do not re-rack their weights!

I'll start a website called www.rackrolled.com similar to being rickrolled on youtube.

People can submit their own rackrolled photos and I'll put together a photo montage set to Dave Matthews Band's "Ants Marching"
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    1. People who don't clean up after themselves
    2. Excessive grunting: I make some noise especially if lifting heavy weights, but no need to scream and yell then....
    3. Dropping the weights on the floor.
    4. Not putting equipment back in it's proper place (Dumbbells, leaving a machine or bar loaded with plates, etc)
    5. People who fail to realize they have BO. In the past I've actually intervened with a guy and gave him a mini Speed Stick and urged him to use it before he worked out. I don't think we saw him again :)
    6. People who use their cell phones. Listen to music sure, but you are there to work out, not text or email. Surely you can dedicate one or two hours of your day to yourself and simply ignore everyone else?
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    What are everyone's biggest pet peeves about the gym? Mine would be.....

1. My biggest one is......When people (when I say people it's guys 99% of the time) talk to me. Leave me alone please, I'm not friendly, I'm not at the gym to make any new friends. I want to focus on my workout & go home. I purposely walk around the gym without making eye contact with anyone & I keep a stern look on my face & try & look as unapproachable as possible. But, the brave ones still bother me. Then when I tell them that I'm married they have the nerve to ask me where my wedding ring is! Why would I wear my beautiful wedding ring to the gym while I am lifting weights & can scratch it all up?

I dont so much get hit on, but it doesnt matter where I go people talk to me....especially old geezers. It drives me CRAZY! I just wanna put a sign on my head that says "BUG OFF!!!"
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Another peeve is seeing someone who is heavier than me not doing the right things for their body. Saw a woman weight lifting A LOT of weight when it was obvious that she should be fat burning before adding muscle, but I don;t wanna say anythingcuz she might wanna be a heavy weight lifter and I don't wanna offend her but if shes trying to lose weight the way she was doing it was not gonna work :(

This is absolutely terrible.
    Weight lifting does WONDERS.
    Many people only lift weights and look amazing.

Agreed, that is terrible....and, more to the point, how exactly do you know what is right for another person's body?? The lady might be choosing to lose weight by raising her metabolism through muscle gains. Ive done it before.

That point comes from a very narrow minded person....

Weight lifting is a good thing for nearly anyone to have in their exercise routine.
    Probably believes the myth it will only make you bulky :explode: :explode:

<-- lost nearly all my weight through strength training and very little cardio
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    NOT RE-RACKING WEIGHT IN THEIR PROPER SPOTS!!!! If your DB says 75LBS on it and there is a designated 75LBS spot for it then dont put it in the 25LBS spot. You picked the weight up to begin with, YOU PUT IT AWAY WHERE IT BELONGS!

^^This or the guys that put 4-5 45 lb weights on each side of the leg press machine or standing calf raise machine and don't take them off. That annoys the crap out of me. Leave 1-2 on each side but 4-5 is not okay.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I hate all people and even though I go to a public gym I wish no other people were there. And the people who are there are aholes if they don't do they same exact things I do. And even if they do the same things I do, they are still jerks if they do them anywhere in my vicinity. People that wear nicer clothes than me to the gym are sluts. People that wear worse clothes than me are bums.

To sum it up:
    1. I believe my $30 membership fee should get me private access.
    2. I'm going to take the elliptical right in front of the TV that's showing the game, and everyone else should stay 5 machines away even if they can't see the game from there.
    3. all people that aren't me are inconsiderate aholes. Or sluts.

hahaha, this made me laugh...:flowerforyou:
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everyone's reasons are the reason I don't go to a gym. That and the closest one that's worth the money is 20 min away, and without a job, it's kind of hard to pay for gas to do that!
  • MelanieMamaof5
    MelanieMamaof5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha...I'm with you. THAT right there is My BIGGEST pet peeve.

If I'm not soaked and stinky by the time I'm done the what the heck did I drag my sorry butt down to the gym for. Stupid insecure girls.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Oh I absolutely LOVE when cutesie girls go to the gym with their hair down, cutesie clothes, make up, and walk on the treadmill at 3.0 mph without breaking a sweat. You're obviously here to get a good workout. NOW GET OFF THE TREADMILL SO I CAN USE IT.

I most definitely agree with this. There was a girl at my gym who showed up with SPARKLES on her face daily, hair done somewhat nicely and I don't recall her ever breaking a sweat. Ridiculous.

Screw you guys, I look cute at the gym and work harder than almost everyone else in there. By the end of the workout, I'm sweaty but my makeup (usually) hasn't budged. I work out in the morning, and just wear my makeup from the previous day. When I lift, I leave my hair down. Apparently there's some huge judgmental female rule against this. It f*cking hurts my head to lie on a bench with a giant lump of elastic digging into my skull. I wear cute workout clothes. It takes just as long to put on something cute as it does to put on sh*tty clothes. Why does looking good equate to weakness/laziness? I'm stronger than a lot of the guys and I have actually broken a treadmill while running at its top speed. There's so much hate on this site about makeup at the gym.

MMMM yea the point was that if you are going to get on a treadmill and do nothing, then don't waste your time at the gym when there is a HUGE line for the treadmill. The makeup part wasn't even the main point of this. A little defensive, aren't we?

Just irritated that the whole makeup thing is a recurring theme on this site. If it's about not working out hard enough, why does it have to be prefaced with a complaint about makeup?

I wear makeup to the gym because I go immediately after work too. That wasn't the point. The point isn't "Wash your makeup off before you go to the gym!" The point was that if you have to spend thirty minutes just to get ready to go to the gym and not even break a sweat, then you're just taking up space and move over.
  • dylsmom99
    dylsmom99 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    naked people,,,,, ahhhH!!!!,, why can't you just wrap a towel around you,, stop blow drying your hair naked,, and don't u dare sit on my bench naked with no towel... omg,,,,,,,,,,,,

keep a towel on the sauna,,, and don't out dare lay down and spread them in the sauna,,,

or shave your chachacha in the sauna...........

machine hog,,,,, take your dam towel with you cause I'm just gonna put it on the floor if i want that machine!!!!!!!!!

and don't you dare ask me how much longer i have on the treadmill,,,,, when I'm done ill get off,,,
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    1.) Grunting when lifting weights.

2.) People want to talk while I'm working out.

3.) People who feel they have to use the SAME piece of equipment in every class.

4.) Front desk people who don't have a clue when u ask them a question.

5.) People who don't rack their weights or feel they need a set of every weight available all at once.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    1. Leaving the weights all over the place.

2. Grunting while lifting.

3. Wearing the same gym clothes for a week.

4. Not wiping down the machines when you are done.

5. Taking a 15 min+ shower when there are only single stall showers and a line to use them.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Another peeve is seeing someone who is heavier than me not doing the right things for their body. Saw a woman weight lifting A LOT of weight when it was obvious that she should be fat burning before adding muscle, but I don;t wanna say anythingcuz she might wanna be a heavy weight lifter and I don't wanna offend her but if shes trying to lose weight the way she was doing it was not gonna work :(

1) All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. If she gets that through food then who cares what her exercise is?! In fact, weight lifting does far more for your shape and fat loss than cardio does. It helps preserve your muscle mass while losing, which is what stops a person looking flabby after losing a ton of weight.

2) I don't know why you even assumed she wants to lose weight. Not everyone at the gym wants to lose weight, it's a horrible assumption and you know those guys telling you that you don't need to lose weight and that they like curvy girls? That's like they're saying that the only reason you're losing or going to the gym, is to look good for guys, which isn't a nice assumption, right? You're probably doing it for yourself as well.

3) She may be doing cardio and other "fat burning" stuff as well as weight lifting. From what you said, it sounds like you only saw her there once.
  • gxdragon
    gxdragon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You guys need to find another gym. The people that work at my gym are pretty personable. Even down to the maintenance guys that say hi when they see me. As far as people that take up the whole bench with their stuff I've only seen a couple people do that and I just push it aside. You know you're not the only person here. I have seen one old man sit on the bench naked. Yeah, that was kinda gross. I don't even shower at the gym anymore I just wait until I get home, I'm less than five minutes away.
  • mani_r
    mani_r Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    People who try to lift weights that are obviously too heavy for them and proceed to do them with incorrect form.

The other day, this guy put a 45 lb plate on either side of a bench press bar and commenced to do bicep curls. Sure, curling 135 lbs is pretty damn impressive, but this guy was bending at the waist and using his momentum to swing the bar up... I don't think the angle of his forearm and upper arm even changed. Good way to herniate a disk though.

Then there is the typical guy that tries to lift a decent amount for bench press, yet doesn't bring the bar to even within 10 inches of his chest. We've all seen that.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    For all of you who said that someone gets on a treadmill next to you when there is an entire empty row--- my question to you is:
    Where do you work out?? Any gym I've gone to has been packed and there aren't many, if any available options, to choose from! Heck, the last gym I went to, you would have to frequently WAIT IN LINE to get on a machine. And this was for treadmills, ellipticals and stair climbers. Recumbent bikes were usually the only ones that you didn't have to wait for. Oh unless, someone was just sitting on one talking on the phone & watching the game! :explode:
  • Jem_Girl
    Jem_Girl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    After the recent stuff I've had to deal with at my current (but soon to be former) gym, I'd say my number 1 peeve is when the gym doesn't keep things clean... particularly the showers and the equipment. I expect people to wipe down after themselves, but I expect the gym to make sure there isn't bacteria growing in the showers and be the last line of defense on the machines. And when they remove a shower curtain because I took pictures to prove how gross it was, it would be nice if they'd put a new one back since they didn't bother to put down bath mats and water gets all over the tiles and makes them slick and unsafe.... ARGG stupid gym!!!

(What's bad is when the employees do what they can but the owners simply won't buy what's needed to keep it in good shape. And then some employees are too good for cleaning, I guess...)
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    I use the workout facilities at a community center...where my son also happens to attend pre-k in the morning. I can't imagine taking him with me to a big gym with no child care center and letting him have run of the place...it's not safe for him, myself, OR other people working out.

Luckily, because the workout rooms are pretty small and I workout while my son is in school, I can almost guarantee the place to myself about 2 days of the week. But, that doesn't mean I don't wipe the machines down after I use them. I always try to leave the workout rooms BETTER than the way I found them. It amazes me the amount of people who do use the equipment that DO NOT wipe it down. I've actually grown accustomed to grabbing the bottle of disinfectant and a paper towel and wiping the machine down BEFORE I use it...and of course wipe it down AFTER I use it.

I've seriously thought about joining a regular gym...but...I like my current workout situation...and I'll stick with it for this year at least. :)
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I like my gym, it has plenty of equipment and not too many idiots. And I'm not bothered by a lot of things - who cares if someone's naked in the locker room? That's what a locker room is for! (http://theoatmeal.com/pl/minor_differences2/locker_room) I am puzzled by the woman who puts on eyeliner before getting on the treadmill, but it seems a bit extreme to be annoyed by her. Maybe that woman is lifting a 2-lb weight because she tore a tendon, who am I to judge? The only thing that bugs me is people who rest on the bench for more than a minute. Lift or move, pal!

But oooh! OOoh! I finally saw someone curling in the squat rack on Saturday! I thought it was just an urban legend, like the girl who gets out to look for her boyfriend and all she finds is the bloody hook on the car's door handle! He was using the e-z curl bar, too, so I'm not quite sure what the point was, but I wasn't doing squats that day and there wasn't anyone else in the weight area so I was just entertained, not peeved.
  • melkorsbane
    melkorsbane Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I read 6 pages of these and I think a lot of people are too worried about what other people are doing. Who gives a flying monkey fart if someone is dressed up, or has makeup on, or if the workouts are what YOU think are good for THEM.

Quit worrying about them, and just do you. If they are using a treadmill or a machine you want, find some way to adapt. Choose another treadmill, walk around the track, go for a swim, I don't know - just adapt!

All that said, not wiping up your sweat is gross.