My Boyfriend Is Not Into Fitness - HELP!

Options

Replies

• lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    my partner of 4 yrs was never into fitness, he respects my fitness wishes and does not get in the way. I love him for that. I never in any way thought about breaking up with him cos we did not share the same ways about fitness)eating habits etc, i loved the person he was before any fitness got involved.
  • melindadunston
    Options
    guy...
    I just realize I am attracted to the guys with the nice bodies at the gym.....

LOLOLOL Who isn't? There will always be someone that looks better. But do you want to spend your life with him or don't you. I understand wanting him to be healthy, but beauty fades in time. You have to love the person you are with for what they are not what they look like!
  • ZudiLo
    Options
    I'm going through the same EXACT thing with my boyfriend. Although, going into the relationship I knew his weight would be a challenge, I didn't want that issue coming between what we really have.
    Recently, I told him in a nice way that I'd rather have him around for a lifetime than halftime. I also advised that I was a bit concerned for his health and that if he loved me, he would be concerned with me and make a change.

This struggle should be a twogether issue. I'm helping to motivate him as well as myself.

We shall see how this works out, I'm giving it exactly 30 days to see a change. No change, no game.

Hope this helps.

Thank you and yes I have sat down with him and I spoke to him about my thoughts and his health. Hence, the reason he made some changes in his diet and i have told him that he is doing a great job with his eating habits...but I love him so I'm patient with his goals. Let's see where it takes us.
  • tonihayden
    Options
    if he duznt change then find someone else. If ur less attracted to him now that will only get worse as u get healthier. Been there done that.
  • ZudiLo
    Options
    I agree be very honest with him and give him the opportunity to understand how you feel.

But know you absolutely cannot change him. I have been married for 13 years & have tried repeadelty to have my husband join the
    journey to become more healthy. About 3 years ago I decided I did not need him to jump on board to make a change to be more healhty and I have finally become sucessful (down 50 #'s).

However, I love my husband dearly and I accept him exactly how he is. I do wish he would be more healthy due to his family history of illness....but all I can do is encourage him.

There is a big difference though...my husband accepted me no matter what size I have been in the last 17 years we have been together...and he has always treated me with love and respect. If you cannot do that...do you really love him?

I do love him...I'm willing to make it work. I just posted this question in regards to anyone who has ever faced a situation where they wanted their significant other to be more healthy and how did it go for them.
  • ZudiLo
    Options
    I think the real discussion you need to have with him has to center around how you find this a major point of compatibility. If it's something he does want and will work for great. If it's something he absolutely doesn't then go from there. But you need to make it clear that's it's more than just a preference for you at this point, because it obviously is something of a requirement. Don't make it about his weight or physicality. Make it about a shared lifestyle and passion.

In my personal opinion, you are being a bit rigid. But really you have a right to have the preferences you want. But he deserves the courtesy of knowing straight up how important this is to you.

Thank you.
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I will buy a fixer upper house. I adopted special needs pets that needed a lot of work. I restore old furniture.

But my partner is one person I have to love and accept for who he is, not for what he could be. I am encouraging my husband to eat better and exercise, because it's something he wants to do. But it's not going to make how I feel about him any different. I love him. The whole package, whether the package has a big belly or not.

As usual, Lor - VERY well said. And I highly agree!
  • ZudiLo
    Options
    Guys can be bribed into loosing weight....for example set weight loss goals for him that offer bedroom rewards he doesn't already currently get. This would work for me just sayin

haha..that might work lol
  • ZudiLo
    Options
    I dont understand what you changing ur life style has got to do with him? I live a healthy life style. My husband is lazy and wont put a vegetable past his lips. I dont like the way he lives but i cant moan at him for what he chooses to do. its his life and his body!

you are absolutely right its his life and body but if you are going to commit yourself to one individual because you love them so much, wouldn't you want the other person to be healthy also, for your future and your kids?
  • ZudiLo
    Options
    Well, you have a host of items to consider.

It sounds like emotionally, you may do better for yourself to take some time to work through self-esteem issues. Sure, you say you love the guy, but when you have self-esteem issues, it's easy to feel like you love someone when in fact you are settling for the best you think you can hope for.

If you want someone to be the father of your children and to be healthy and active, then you might want to lay that out on the table for him. You know, just say "Boyfriend, I am concerned about your weight and health, and the impact it will have on you in the future. Frankly, I think we could have a wonderful life together, possibly leading to marriage and children. You're a hard worker, you have a good job, emotionally we seem to be a good fit, etc. I don't know if my current emphasis on healthy living might turn out to be a phase - but I'm hoping that living healthy is a permanent change in me. You know, you actually helped inspire me to begin taking care of myself better, because when we first met, you were working out at the gym and it seemed you were concerned about taking good care of yourself as well. And I know, I still have more work for myself to do towards my goal of living and being healthly. Lately though, it feels like you aren't as concerned about your health; you aren't going to the gym and you aren't worried so much about what you eat. I see your health declining as you gain weight. And I know it's tough with some of the long shifts you pull. Are you concerned about your health and the foundation you are setting for the future? Because if you are, I'd like to help and work through this with you so that you can still get a couple of workouts in during the week. But if you aren't, please be honest with me. I don't want the potential future father of my children being someone who can't keep up with his kids and develops preventable health issues like cardiovascular disease or diabetes at an early age... I want someone who I can share and enjoy life with for a very long time and hopefully grow old together gracefully".

He might feel outraged/insulted. If that's an initial reaction, let it slide. Most people have a hard time with criticism. Let him think about it for a few days. (not weeks or months). If he's still outraged, I'd say the relationship is done. He might - or might not - decide to work out after your relationship breaks up - and if he does - he might - or might not - later on come to realize that you meant well. But don't wait around to see if that happens. Go work on yourself, figure out what you need to do to strengthen your own self-esteem and do that.

Alternatively, he might feel flattered that you care enough about his health to say something. He might even agree to start working out again. Give him plenty of pats on the back!

Then again, he might simply say - he likes that you are doing this for yourself, that you care enough to encourage him, but that he simply isn't ready to commit to a living healthy at this time. You need to decide for yourself whether you want to stay with him or not. If his looks and health are deal-breakers for you, you may decide to break it off. If they aren't deal-breakers, then you need to accept him as he is - and accept that he may continue to gain weight over time. I would say if you aren't attracted to him, though, you seriously need to think about whether to continue a relationship where you aren't that attracted to the person anymore.

Another thing - he might not be viewing YOU as LTR material - and his reaction might showcase that too. In which case, you need to be prepared to dust off his rejection of you as fitting his image of his future, go out, do things for yourself, and over time, you'll undoubtedly find someone else that may or may not be a better fit for you.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it and will take this into consideration.
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Be an example, Not an enforcer. You'll get farther that way!
  • ZudiLo
    Options
    Be an example, Not an enforcer. You'll get farther that way!

Thanks!
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    guy...
    I just realize I am attracted to the guys with the nice bodies at the gym.....

This sounds more like an issue with LOOKS, not health. Sorry, but true :( You love someone for who they are. If you don't love him for who his IS instead of how he looks......end it. You both will be better off in the end.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    kick his fat *kitten* to the curb

.....just joking i was fat

no way! me too!
  • ZudiLo
    Options
    Whether someone is a good mate and spouse and whether you will have longevity together is based on VALUES. It's not about the "little stuff." The question is whether YOU feel that "A Healthy Lifestyle as YOU define it" is part of your Core Values? If it is, and he does not meet/accept/live/want to be part of this Value, then the 2 of you should part. People DO Grow Apart...it is Best to know NOW than discover it later...after "VOWS" Til Death Do You Part. AND people DO become "Unattractive" to each other, especially when the "blinders" come off.

Thank you.
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My BF HATES working out. hates it. I on the other hand love it. But I also love him. He’s a good man, good to my son, is there for us, dependable, thoughtful, loving. ALL qualities I’ve been searching for in a man. Do I sometimes wish he'd get into better shape, yes. Not only because of looks but because of health in general. Do I gently encourage him to exercise, yes. Ill offer up to go for a walk around the block, tell him to use my p90x dvds or suggest joining planet fitness (the no judgment zone) esp when he is complaining about his appearance. But will I ever MAKE him workout or LEAVE him cause he doesn’t. NO. Good men are hard to find now a days, esp where I am from!!
  • Pema91
    Options
    I vote for leaving him so he can have the opportunity to find someone that is going to love him the same no matter if he stays the same weight he was when they started dating, loses the weight, or gains. In other words, someone that loves him for who he is as a person and who doesn't feel the need to change him simply because she's decided to make a change for herself.

Also note that I said you decided to make the change for yourself. Take a moment and imagine how you would feel if the tables were turned and your boyfriend had been the one to make the choice to get in shape and was constantly telling you to eat healthier and work out. How would that make you feel?

This.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    The good news is that nobody but you has the right to decide what is and is not a deal breaker in your own relationship. It really doesn't matter what anybody else thinks.

But don't think you can change him. Even when you think you're being subtle and only trying to help, you're not. (I recently learned this about myself.)
  • sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I read through two pages and had to stop and reply. DO not listen to any of them. **** all these dumb **** people. Stop telling her to just cut it off cuz she is expecting too much. Or to stay and give him a chance to change. All of you are incredibly ****ing wrong. What if she breaks up with him, he didn't understand it fully, but wanted to marry this girl and just didn't get it. That fitness was a tiny little bump in his way. He just hasn't been able to muster the motivation. Everyone's needs are different when it comes to compromise.

Talk to him and tell him you are becoming less attracted to him. Be honest for ****s sake. He is the only one you should have this debate with, even if it causes you to break up. That just means it was meant to be. You need to be smarter and not ask a forum full of people how to deal with something that has way more going on than ANYone here can figure out with just a few posts of you trying to explain and re-explain yourself.

Shame on you guys for giving terrible relationship advice.

For some reason this post really tickled me lol...

Calling everyone dumb and telling her not to listen to any of us, I suppose just only you...telling her to be smarter...the way I see it is smart people ask questions...smart people inqure about things...smart people learn everyday...I personally dont think that any one person's advice was bad, wrong, or dumb....not even yours even tho is was different from mine. I am pretty sure that she asked just to get different opinions and she seeems to appreciate everyones input...she seems very smart to me.
  • starryskies89
    starryskies89 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If I was the OP I wouldn't even come back to this thread again, but on the off chance that you do read this, please don't let any of these nasty comments hurt you. I know that is impossible in a certain sense because no matter what we say being mocked and insulted hurts.

You have every right to your feelings because you are your own person. We all have that right.

I cannot add to the good advice already posted by several people, it seems reasonable and I am sure you are taking that into account. I think you have handled this whole topic with grace and civility when you could have reacted quite differently. I also think that someone who was only interested in looks wouldn't be asking for advice, I understand internal conflict and it is the hardest thing to have to deal with.

It seems that by posting this topic, people took that as an open invitation to insult and dehumanize you, probably because they are afraid of that happening to them. Fat causes us to be percieved differently by the world, and I think that creates a terror and humiliation in most overweight people. I have experienced it personally, and I think most of the people posting here have as well.

I however don't take it out on innocent people asking for advice. I mostly just read topics on this forum and don't post much because I have seen what happened here happen a lot. You have to remember that this is a free forum, any person can join, and I don't put much stock in the opinions of any old person. However we are social creatures and like to reach out, in today's world public forums are normal, and I think we should try to foster a sense of community among ourselves, so from one person to another, lets be civil, even when we disagree.

Good Luck!