Shocked by the calorie content

Options

Replies

• crazyivan19
    crazyivan19 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    First day of my weight loss, I was still very green to this whole calorie counting thing. I wanted to start things off right, so I made 2 scrambled eggs, one piece of wheat bread toast, and washed it down with a big glass of orange juice. Color me surprised when my breakfast ended up at 600+ calories!

Thats the juice and toast talking! Last week I made a 3 egg scramble with tons of veggies, cheese, and pork sausage, and it clocked under 600!

Yeah, I've since learned that there are better breads out there than what I was eating and have switched to either watering down my OJ or, at the very least, drinking less of it. Still, my eyes just about bugged out when I put my breakfast in that day.
    Kraft's Fat Free Mayo, at 10 calories per tablespoon, is a decent tasting substitute for full fat mayo. Back in the day their fat free mayo was NASTY, but they've stepped up their game considerably since then.

Nature's Own Double Fiber bread, at 50 calories per slice, is not just a good "diet" bread, it's good bread. My family eats it as a matter of course.

Hebrew National 97% fat free hotdogs are an amazing 40 calorie compromise when you really want a 'dog. Pair it with a Nature's Own 80 calorie wheat hotdog roll and you almost feel like you aren't dieting.

Just a few off the top of my head.

Thanks for the tips, especially the bread. I'll look into that brand, as the bread I've switched to is okay in terms of calories, but very bland in terms of taste. And I'm always in the mood for dogs, so thanks for that. I personally eat Applegate Organic Uncured Beef dogs, which clock in at 70 calories per dog. I find that more than reasonable if you have two for a meal.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I sometimes go for coffee meetings with clients and we'll pop into Costa and the like. I remember when I first joined MFP logging my mocha and nearly cried. Best part of 400 calories on a so-so hot drink. I could have had a Turkish Delight Options and a ginger nut for half of that!

On a related note, the toffee waffle things at Starbucks. 400ish calories! They don't even seem that indulgent. Bah.
  • bchgrl8
    bchgrl8 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    OK...Starburst Jellybeans....550 calories for 1cup!!!!! I don't know why this surprises me..I know it's all sugar...just seeing the numbers pushes me over the edge! :sad:
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    First day of my weight loss, I was still very green to this whole calorie counting thing. I wanted to start things off right, so I made 2 scrambled eggs, one piece of wheat bread toast, and washed it down with a big glass of orange juice. Color me surprised when my breakfast ended up at 600+ calories!

2 eggs = 150 cals.
    1 Tbsp Olivio light = 50 cals.
    1 slice light bread = 35 cals.
    8 oz. Trop 50 orange juice = 50 cals.

285 calories.

My shocker is fresh pressed apple cider. I love the stuff, can only get it at this time of the year - and this year with the shortage of apples it cost nearly $8/ gal.! Rings in at 120-130 cals. for 8 oz.!
  • Annabel89
    Annabel89 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Illusent
    Illusent Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i was thrilled when i saw how LOW the cals are in taco bell tacos.
    i can eat a 6pack and still be around 900cals. FANTASTIC!
    cosign on this. especially fresco. LOL!
  • aquariumche
    aquariumche Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    WINE

But much better than beer!
    Both *much* better than Baileys :)
  • annacarmel83
    Options
    When avoiding fruit because of the sugar, I eat lots of celery, peppers and cucumber.
  • Illusent
    Illusent Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Rockstar Punch Energy Drink (16 oz.) - 260 Calories, 62 grams of sugar

I vividly remember drinking 3 or 4 in one day, a few summers back... LOL!
  • lgoldgirl
    Options
    I'm focused more on my macros and actually seek out high calorie foods that are healthy. When I check my calories for the day, I almost always have to have a night time snack to get in enough. I can, however, be shocked by sugar, artificial sweeteners, refined carbs, and unhealthy ingredients that are put in "food".

I don't even know what Walkers Deep Ridged crisps are... so what do I know?

Ditto. I eat a lot of healthy fats like peanut butter, olive oil, avocados, etc. I'll mix those with lean proteins (including lean red meat every once in awhile), lots of veggies and fruits. I don't like eating packaged food and my general rule of thumb, especially after working in restaurants, is that regardless of calorie count, nothing from most chain restaurants is healthy or nutritious. If I'm going to eat out, i'll treat myself to a local place that uses organic, locally sourced foods and serves more realistic portions.

I am not surprised by the calorie counts of most the foods posted. What shocks me are the additives, sodium content and sugars.
  • annacarmel83
    Options
    <WINE>

I'm pretty sure that I read that calories cannot survive in red wine due to the high alcohol content.

:smile:

I'm taking your word for that!
  • KareemaM
    Options
    Ranch Light dressing made me drop.... I ate a healthy salad and was suprised that they only take 1 gram of fat out the ranch dressing. I am starting to think I need to make my own but dont know how.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Who doesn't like a honey bun?

At over 500 calories that's a half of days worth of cailories!

*gonk*
  • Marglyne12
    Options
    Medium...Dairy Queen Cookie Dough Blizzard 1020 calories. I have not had one of these in 5 yrs.
  • chere25
    Options
    I agree! those little cranberry orange muffins from McDonald's are 400 calories! nighmare!
  • commanderval
    commanderval Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Muffins! They are PACKED with calories!
  • happypath101
    Options
    Medium...Dairy Queen Cookie Dough Blizzard 1020 calories. I have not had one of these in 5 yrs.

I recently discovered that they have mini blizzards. They are still a treat. But, if I remember right the one I had clocked in at about 300 calories. Still a super treat. But, on a not summer night special trip to get icecream with my son and nephew, I was able to have a treat myself and still stay within my calorie allowance (if not for the day, then for the week). (And Dilly Bars are not too bad either. But, not nearly as yummy).
  • happypath101
    Options
    When I first started counting calories, it was BREAD that threw me.

My biggest surprise was the range of calories, fat, fibre, sugar, and carb counts in bread. I spend a LOT of time in the bread aisle reading labels. One English Muffin is NOT the same as another. And a slice of bread from one loaf to another can easily be 100-200 calories difference. If you have two slices of toast in the morning, that's a big difference!

That's crazy to me. But, it's not like comparing apples to oranges. Well, it is, but only in a symbolic sense. :O)
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Bump, great thread!
  • jmarquez9
    Options
    BWW mango habanero wings with a cold beer!