Quinoa: Love it, like it, hate it, never tried it?

Options

Replies

• Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Love it!

Add some black beans, tomato, spinach, any other veggies, and some lemon vinaigrette and eat it cold. Yum!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    It's growing on me. :-) Used it last night in Turkey Quinoa Meatloaf (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-and-quinoa-meatloaf/detail.aspx) and it was really good.
    This recipe looks divine, I can see how using Quinoa would make it hold together well and give it a nice unique flavor. Glad you shared:heart:
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I like it (and I hate couscous, at least that little tiny couscous - quinoa cooks up bigger than that). I hate that I always have to rinse it though - I don't trust "pre-rinsed". I just cook it plain and use it as a grain. I'm a super-lazy cook though.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Maybe I got bad Quinoa? I cooked it in chicken broth like a friend told me to do and I made a pilaf like the package said. When I put it into my mouth it tasted good but had a horrible after taste! I can't get myself to try it again.

OOPS! YOu need to rinse it very well first or eles you get that.
    My package said to rinse it, but I didn't. I couldn't figure out how to rinse those little buggers without them going down the sink. They are smaller than the holes in my colander! What's a girl to do?
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i tried it tonight for the first time. seeds of change's quinoa and brown rice. and, dear lord, it was delicious. and the servings are HUGE for how little the calories are.

I LOVE this brand, we eat it every other week or so and it is addictive.
  • I tried and I hate the texture! It makes me feel nauseated.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    LIKE it. with zucchini but hate how high cal it is
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Maybe I got bad Quinoa? I cooked it in chicken broth like a friend told me to do and I made a pilaf like the package said. When I put it into my mouth it tasted good but had a horrible after taste! I can't get myself to try it again.

OOPS! YOu need to rinse it very well first or eles you get that.
    My package said to rinse it, but I didn't. I couldn't figure out how to rinse those little buggers without them going down the sink. They are smaller than the holes in my colander! What's a girl to do?
    A poster above shared, she uses Cheese Cloth in her colander to keep the seeds from going through. I'm looking forward to trying it next time, as in the past I had the same issues you did. :noway: :wink:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    LOVE it!

Last night what I did was I roasted both garlic and broccoli, and cooked up a chicken apple sausage. Mixed this in with the Quinoa. It was magnificent.
  • noreen2012
    Options
    all so yummy definately trying some of these recipes - bump
  • TeriLynnSpano
    TeriLynnSpano Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do want to try this stuff:wink:
  • n_rockey
    n_rockey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Add me to the Love IT category. We substitute it into any recipe that calls for rice. I also cook it and eat it plain as a side dish.

We buy the pre-rinsed, but we always rinse it anyway just to be sure. Sam's club is the cheapest place I've found so far to buy it.
  • sem021966
    Options
    bump - haven't tried it yet, but want to and some of these recipes sound delish
  • ABrideToBE
    ABrideToBE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Funny, I tried it today for the first time. Not for me. The texture is weird. Rice still rules :)
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Quinoa is great! Both quinoa and amaranth are great sources of protein.

I like to cook my quinoa pretty plainly. I then can add it to other dishes easily. It's great with anything.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Love it. I boil it the same way I do brown rice and then pan fry it with onions. I mix in shredded roasted chicken and seasonings.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Love it. Very healthy, but it's so darn high in calories.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I love it. Just prepare it the regular way and eat with other food (veggies and chicken).
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Never tried it but I think I may give it a try
  • LauraAnn52
    LauraAnn52 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa. Before cooking it toast it first in a dry cast iron skillet. This gives it a nutty flavor.