Top 5 gym pet peeves

Options

Replies

• Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    1. Fox News on the TV in the locker room. I have that crap blocked on my TiVo for a reason. Leave it on ESPN, please.

2. Grunters

3. People who don't know how to run properly and stomp on the treadmill. All of that sound generated is wasted energy that is not propelling you forward.

4. People chatting loudly on the machines next to me. It's distracting. If I can hear you over my headphones, you are too loud.

5. Girls that dress in hot clothes and then give you a dirty look if you happen to casually look at them. Sorry, I'm human.
  • KetchikanLadyDi
    KetchikanLadyDi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Agree on the over abundant nakedness in the locker room. I am at my gym every morning. I shower there, and get ready for a professional job there. I am by no stretch of the imagination a prude. I step out of the shower in a towel, and when dried off, put on my clothes. If I am too hot still from the workout, at the minimum my bra and undies are on. However, there is a 300 lb+ woman who goes to my gym. Nice lady!! Very personable. But...she is ALWAYS naked, and pays no mind when bending over to which direction the "old dirt road" is pointing.
  • dy617
    dy617 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    1. People who offer advice to me when I have my head phones in particularly when I seem to be struggling with something. I have a rather large tummy and an old knee injury and when I was in the abs section of planet fitness last night doing wall squats with free weights (3 pound ones) I did a 15 second squat then stood for 5-10 seconds, 10 second squat, stood for ten seconds, and I did that for about 5 minutes. A guy came up to me and said "you're not going to get anywhere if you dont stay down longer" To which I pointed to my knee brace and informed him if I stayed down longer my knee would give out and I would be on the floor. I talked to a trainer when I started doing these. You're not him. I dont want to talk to you.

2. Guys that come in in groups of 3-8 that take up 5-6 machines and only use one at a time. Theres enough of you that you can pair off and have one person working and one person spotting on each machine.

3. People who dont wipe down machines. I wipe mine down before and after each use. I have a job that I cant go to if I'm working and its flu season. I dont want your germs

4. People who have dozens of items with them to use a treadmill you dont need a bottle of water, your car keys, a magazine, a towel, your smartphone, an ipad, and 2 sets of headphones + a sweatshirt. there are lockers for that stuff. or a hook to hang up your keys and leave the rest in the car. I have the pandora app on my phone to listen to music & I log my exersice on MFP after each machine and I have a job that requires me to be reachable at all times which I why I bring my phone with me but I walk over to the wall by the locker rooms where nobody ever is to use my phone. And if I have a book I need to read for class I've been known to read it on a bike but the second I get off the bike I go put it back in my locker. You dont need the entire contents of your purse with you to work out.

5. I actually have an issue with some people who work at my gym. This one girl who is obviously fit gives me a dirty look everytime I come in. And one guy is overly enthusiastic when he sees me because we went to school together from middle school up and in 6th grade he was part of a group of guys who brought multiple cans of slimfast to school with them and threw them at me when I was getting my books out of my locker. When he saw me he asked how I was because he knew I moved out of state and said I looked good and he was shocked I was in a tshirt because in all the years hes known me he'd never seen me not wearing a sweatshirt (i have really bad scars on my arms from cutting in middle school/high school) To which I was nice enough when responding but then asked him how many heavy girls here he'd thrown cans of slimfast at. So now hes overly nice to me since that day and it drives me absolutely insane. Like really youve been an *kitten* to me the last ten years dont start being a nice guy now.

I remain forever shocked by the disgraceful things people do.
  • jonnyrosko
    jonnyrosko Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    1. People that just do half reps... go all the way down and all the way up
    2. Don’t brag about the weight you lift while doing half reps…if you do a proper rep, that stack will be a lot lighter
    3. You’re sore and don’t know why...maybe it’s all those half reps
    4. Don’t preach to me about supplements
    5. The lack of gym bunnies/bimbos. I’ve heard about them, but haven’t seen them in the wilderness.
    6. Not enough deadlifting
  • dy617
    dy617 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I hate all people and even though I go to a public gym I wish no other people were there. And the people who are there are aholes if they don't do they same exact things I do. And even if they do the same things I do, they are still jerks if they do them anywhere in my vicinity. People that wear nicer clothes than me to the gym are sluts. People that wear worse clothes than me are bums.

To sum it up:
    1. I believe my $30 membership fee should get me private access.
    2. I'm going to take the elliptical right in front of the TV that's showing the game, and everyone else should stay 5 machines away even if they can't see the game from there.
    3. all people that aren't me are inconsiderate aholes. Or sluts.

hahaha, this made me laugh...:flowerforyou:

Me too. Too funny.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I hate all people and even though I go to a public gym I wish no other people were there. And the people who are there are aholes if they don't do they same exact things I do. And even if they do the same things I do, they are still jerks if they do them anywhere in my vicinity. People that wear nicer clothes than me to the gym are sluts. People that wear worse clothes than me are bums.

To sum it up:
    2. I'm going to take the elliptical right in front of the TV that's showing the game, and everyone else should stay 5 machines away even if they can't see the game from there.

Me too. Too funny.

:tongue: DITTO!
  • chiaraziviani
    Options
    People who FART in the gym.. are you kidding me?! If you have GAS STAY AT HOME.

Somebody has obviously never been training for a 10k or greater. There are times during longer runs where things start gurgling in your stomach, and well... It just has to come out. It's not like I want to share it

Then go run outside, and you obviously don't know anything about me, so don't go assuming I have never trained for 10ks
  • mcdanielcypress
    Options
    2. People who hog machines while they are sitting there texting or talking on the phone. If you aren't using the machine then move!

3. Don't hover over me while I'm using the machine, when I'm done it's all yours. But hovering over me is just going to piss me off & it creeps me out as well.

4. People who don't wipe down the machines after sweating all over them, rude!

5. When people try to hog 1-3 machines at a time. How is that fair?

I agree on these. I joined a gym in April. The first time I went I had to deal with this kind of stuff. The gym was so crowded. I asked those in charge and they only said that it gets this way about this time of day. Unfortunately that was the only time of the day that I could go. After a couple more visits I canceled my membership. It was not working out. My apartment complex has a gym with weights so I go there to work on muscle tone. Run to manage cardio. I've started Insanity and LOVE it.
  • don883
    don883 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    1. People who don't wipe down the machines.
    2. People who don't wipe down the machines.
    3. People who don't wipe down the machines.
    4. People who don't wipe down the machines.
    5. People who don't wipe down the machines.
  • theladysarah
    theladysarah Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    4. This one is going to sound kind of funny, but...in the locker room, jeepers girls, we have seen it all before. Why do you stand there and struggle into your bra and panties while attempting *usually unsuccessfully* to hold a towel over yourself to protect your modesty? If you are really that worried about it, why not use a stall to change?

Lol I am a size 24 and wonder around naked to moisturise then dress....totally agree with this one! if you don['t like it go into the stall or don't change at the gym....same as the communal showers why change into a swim suit then get in the shower?!?!?
  • Tiffikat
    Options
    Mine would be people who sit around and judge everybody at the gym for things that don't even affect them.

Why do you care if somebody is lifting lighter weights than you, wearing makeup or walking slowly on the treadmill? Focus on yourself.

:heart:

Yep!

For those that hate when someone gets on the treadmill next to them... it probably has nothing to do with you being there. I have favorite machines. They tend to be machines that pick up my HR more easily, that squeak or rock less, that are in the right spot compared to the fan, or in front of a TV I like. If you are next to my favorite machine when I come in I'm going to get on my favorite machine. I think that is one that most of you really need to just get over.

No one is at the gym to please you or aggravate you. They are there to better themselves. I imagine you would have a lot more fun at the gym if you focused on yourself and ignored what everyone else is doing if it doesn't affect you. If someone is wearing make-up or a cute hairdo... who cares? If someone is walking slowly on a treadmill and not breaking a sweat you have no idea why. Maybe they are on restrictions from a doctor or have an injury. Maybe they are starting our slowly, warming up, or cooling down.
    5. People who fail to realize they have BO. In the past I've actually intervened with a guy and gave him a mini Speed Stick and urged him to use it before he worked out. I don't think we saw him again :)

Wow. You have no idea why he has BO, maybe it's a medical issue. I find it appalling that you are happy you chased someone away from the gym and possibly derailed them from their goals. Way to go.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    People who FART in the gym.. are you kidding me?! If you have GAS STAY AT HOME.

Somebody has obviously never been training for a 10k or greater. There are times during longer runs where things start gurgling in your stomach, and well... It just has to come out. It's not like I want to share it

Then go run outside, and you obviously don't know anything about me, so don't go assuming I have never trained for 10ks

It's easy to tell someone to go run outside. I'd love to in January, but it's 20 below air temp and 60 below wind chill.

I don't rip in the gym, but just say'n some people can't "just go run outside", especially in the winter.
  • njitalian
    Options
    I saw someone mention dropping weights. While I am not crazy about that, there are instances when it's necessary. Heavy dumbells on flat bench. There is absolutely no way you can put them down without dropping them, unless you were to dislocate your elbows and shoulders and softly put them down. I'm not about to hurt myself just so you don't feel uncomfortable. If you can sit up with dumbells after doing a set of presses, then you are not going heavy enough.

damn now I feel weak as I'm currently using 120's in each arm, failing at 5/6 reps and I can still sit up with them. LOL
  • JulesAtkinson1
    JulesAtkinson1 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

To sum it up:

Me too. Too funny.

:tongue: DITTO!

DITTO TWICE! :drinker:
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options

It's easy to tell someone to go run outside. I'd love to in January, but it's 20 below air temp and 60 below wind chill.

I don't rip in the gym, but just say'n some people can't "just go run outside", especially in the winter.

It doesn't get that cold where I'm at, but poorly lit and icy roads are a terrible combination for running outside. Enter the treadmill at the gym, where sometimes I can't hold it in.

Sorry to the original replier, didn't know you were a runner. A small case of butthurt on both of our accounts.
  • IamKandake
    Options
    1. People on the treadmill next to me peeking at my calories burned.....mind ya own damn calories!!!
  • Tiffikat
    Options
    I will say I love my gym. We are still in the honeymoon stage though. I found it three and a half weeks ago. I try to go at least 6 times a week and I have no real complaints at all. If someone doesn't wipe the equipment it's okay because i wipe beforehand.
  • njitalian
    Options
    Lift heavier *kitten*! J/k
    Yes I could sit up with 120's, but damnit, I just dont want to!

LMFAO!

**** man I have more trouble getting into position with them than sitting up.