What was your bottom/ah-ha moment....

Options

Replies

• flannelbug
    flannelbug Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I ballooned into the 200s after a year long fight with depression. Felt like crap, ate crap, life was crap.
  • Kendralh
    Kendralh Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been a student in a long-term relationship for the last four years.... I wore a lot of sweatpants and didn't pay much attention to anything because I didn't think I needed to. Last Spring, I broke up with my boyfriend and graduated. I realized I needed to make a change when I moved for my new job (completely alone) and realized I didn't have any clothes to wear out with my new co-workers because I felt HUGE in all of them. It also helped that my cube-mate is SUPER fit and SUPER attractive, and I was so self-conscious of my stomach hanging over my pants all the time!

It's time!
  • 27stoneofidiot
    27stoneofidiot Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've always been big, even as a kid, I suppose I had a couple of revelations. Firstly my other half had been really ill and lost weight as part of her rehab and her determination to be healthy was amazing. Secondly I've only ever been good at one sport, badminton and when I tore my cartilage and completely ruptured my ACL I knew something had to change. I've now had one lot of surgery and will need another op to fix my knee but it hasn't stopped me losing 70lbs and I can't wait until I can play again.
  • Louiseisme
    Options
    In February 2012 when I had to do a health assesment for work... at 42, 5 1.5" 277 pounds, and a BMI of 52%.:sad:
    I realized I had to do something or I would not see my child graduate or get married.
    I've lost 67lbs since then and recently started using MFP because of hitting a plauteu. Last time my weight was what I currently am at was almost 11 years ago, 6 weeks post baby. Goal weight is 133 more than 1/2 my start wieight. Losing a whole me.:laugh:
  • amrositas89
    Options
    well I have been a MFP member for a while.I was always off and on with dieting, and lacked the motivation to do anything about it. I knew I had gained some weight ,but i was afraid to see the number. So today I got up the courage to weigh myself and I almost died when I saw the number that was on that screen.The first words out of my mouth, were not pleasant and then I realized I weighed as much as my DAD!!!!!! I am 5'6'' and I weigh 230 lbs!!! UNACCEPTABLE for a 22 year old!!! So today I am starting my journey and I want to never see those numbers in the order on a scale ever again!!!!!
  • Lizsullie
    Lizsullie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to think about what has made me so motivated and I think you've hit the nail on the head. I recently realized that I'm 4 pounds HEAVIER than my taller boyfriend. That has to change.
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    When I realized the Jillian Michaels shred is only 27 minutes. And 5 minutes of that is warming up and cooling down. It's hard to make excuses about 22 minutes of workout.....
  • JoyfulSparkle
    Options
    My Aha moment- I was turning 30, and wanted to have a FAB party, but couldn't find a cute thing to wear. And I was turning 30 I'm not getting younger/sprightlier, it's only going to get harder to lose as I age; not easier. So, if I don't lose the weight now, when will I do it?
  • JoyfulSparkle
    Options
    and I also thought, "I complain a lot. What If I just tried, applied all the information, and genuinely tried to lose weight. What would happen?"
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My "aha moment" was when my doctor suggested bariatric surgery. He also noted that my blood sugar and tri-glycerides were elevated. My blood level was in right on the cusp of diabetes. Also, my mother passed away and I looked at a lot of photos, some with me heavy and some with me much lighter. The really fat guy was not my friend.
  • eandrsmom
    Options
    Mine was coming to the realization that I had no pictures of myself holding my kids when they were small, and by small I mean birth to age 7. So when the little one started Kindergarten, off to the trainer and nutritionist I went. Nearly 15 pounds and 6 weeks later, I took my first picture with my daughter in years!
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    the scale...
    i balled.

my positive out looks,almost depleated.

& the fact that my man kept telling me you need to get healthy..he's not exactly healthy either,so its kinda hypocritical
    lets go for a walk and i'd look at him like he was crazy..
    and i wasnt gettin any ontop of that!
    so,i guess it started out to please him and now its because dude,im gunna be HOTT!
    and then he's gunna be like damn how could i deny that?
    and im gunna be like ha,good question!

notice,postitive outlook is back!
  • FATBOYBGONE
    FATBOYBGONE Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I damned near didn't fit in a ride at six flags. Honestly, I really didn't fit but I manage to cram my fat *kitten* in it and some how get the seat belt fastened. Getting out was an exercise in embarassment in front of all those people.
  • nancyaaa
    nancyaaa Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It was after I did a day walk in NZ, I realised how unfit I was because I was with my cousin and she pretty much just skipped along for 7hrs, whereas I struggled the whole time. I started doing bootcamp after that lol.
  • loztandfound
    loztandfound Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    when i first read this, i didn't think i had an 'aha' moment, then i had a bath yesterday.... i remembered the time 2 years ago when i was laying down in the bath, crying my eyes out because my hips and stomach touched the bath sides, and i couldn't even squeeze my arms down the sides. i had/have never NEVER been that size before, and although i was still trying to fit into my old clothes, i then decided i was going to get some new clothes, find out what size i am, and go from there. I was a 22 UK on the top, and a 20 UK on the bottom (18/16 US). I am now a 14/16 on both top and bottom (US 10/12), and I am still losing weight now.

all of you guys on here, i nearly just cried because of these stories, and i want to say

WELL DONE TO ALL OF YOU - YOU ARE LEGENDS!

Lozt x
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    2 years ago when I was 219 lbs and faced with the issue of buying new clothes (bigger)...my clothes were just too uncomfortable...I ordered a diet protein powder from GNLD which is a company I became familiar with 32 years ago...and started....I have lost 30 lbs since then, using this powder and eating sensible the rest of the day...I do however frequently go out to eat in the evening....so I haven't lost as much as I could have...a month ago I joined MFP and started logging everything, at that time I was going out to eat every night because I have some health issues and felt stronger after eating their soup...I did gain 5 lbs, and had to go back to my program, and lost 6 lbs...so I am now under my start weight....

so, there are actually 2 moments with me....
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    A general collection of hitting 182, my heaviest, seeing pictures of myself on facebook and wanting to untagg me from all of them..... general realization that I hated myself
  • frogz21
    frogz21 Posts: 314
    Options
    I think my ah-ha moment was when I couldn't fit into my pre pregnancy clothes. I was in denial for a couple of months until I did something about it. I am working on getting back to my skinny fit self I was pre pregnancy.
  • refinley2
    refinley2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I overheard my roommate say my fingers were like monkeys with fat bananas.
    I then vowed to become hotter than she could ever hope to be.
  • littleallie120
    Options
    I was talking to my friend via text message since he went away across the country after joining the marines. I sent him a picture of me (in the photo was my brother and boyfriend.) The lighting was extremely odd (and flattering), I was standing in between both men (both built large and tall), and half of my body was covered by them. Basically, I looked extremely thin in the picture, but it was a fluke. It was angled perfectly. Pictures taken the same evening revealed my true body, so I knew it was just THAT picture. I didn't really think I was that big, I mean, I knew I could lose a few pounds, but I never would have considered myself truly overweight.

Well, I sent him the thin looking picture wanting to know his reaction (because I looked darn good in it!) Well..that was the biggest/best mistake I have ever made. His reaction? Something along the lines of "Dang girl you look awesome you were way on the heavy side last time I saw you but wow what a transformation!"
    Yeeeah, I felt like crawling into a hole and never coming out right about then. And yes, I was expecting a reaction like that, you know, "You look awesome!" But to flat out tell me I was (am) way heavy? It was shocking. It was a wake up call. And he was completely right. I stepped on the scale soon after and realized that I was 30 pounds heavier than I was when I left high school. 30 pounds on me (5'2) looks like way more. Everyone carries their weight differently! And this friend, he was my BEST friend in school, he would never make a hurtful comment to me. He was trying to compliment me! He thought that I did lose weight! But the way he said it really made me open my eyes to how I actually looked vs. what I was telling myself I looked like in order to avoid dieting and continue eating crap.

So, that was my ah-ha moment. I never want to experience something like that again!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!