Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am finally starting to feel like myself again versus the vacation person who dsoesnt know how to frown or slow down :tongue: Not that I frown a lot but i didnt want to be a downer or worry my grandma so it was all happy and smiley faces for 10 days. I have just finally finished reading the posts I missed. I have a system of reading a little and then doing some putzzing around the house and then read and so on and so forth. It took almost all day but I made it. Congrats to everyone who is doing well and I hope everyone that have been under the weather start to feel better soon. So now for a somewhat embarrasing question. I have never taken my measurements and I am not sure if for the hip one I am supposed to measure around or under that lovely roll of tummy that hangs down :blushing: I love the goal ideas for October as I have been wanting to start checking my measurements but have been scared of seeing the initial numbers so kept putting it off. As for carbs I have never adjusted any of the starting macros and I always come in under so should I adjust them and if so how would I do that? Alright time for more cleaning. The darn clothes just dont seem to be folding and putting themselves away, lol :laugh:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Don't have a tape measure. Have a few errands to run tomorrow, so I will try and fit that in too!

1. rent
    2. temp parking pass
    3. tape measure

I did at one time take my measurements, but i'm curious on a few things...
    1. How do you know what is technically your "waist" and other places, I think I did my hips too.
    2. How tight do you pull your tape measure? Just so it's loose around the area, or as tight as it goes without scrunching skin?

Comprende? :D

I measure my waist in 2 places--at the bellybutton and at the narrowest point of my torso (about 3 inches above the bellybutton). I make the tape measure snug, but I don't scrunch the skin.

I think the key is to do it the same way every time--if you do it loose the 1st time, continue to do it loose; if you tighten it the 1st time, keep measuring tight. Make sense?
  • nicholsvj
    nicholsvj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I love the October Challenge! What a great motivation. I still can't believe it's Oct 1st already! Last month beat me up in a bad way. I got back to exercising today. Did 2.76 miles walking outside in 47 minutes. I have a 5K in 12 days. I original goal was to run the whole thing in less than 45 minutes. But now, my goal is to finish in less than hour walking and running. I have some new friends from Bible Study (that aren't runners) joining me. So I think it will be good to do together.

I'll get to my current stats later tonight!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I have never taken my measurements and I am not sure if for the hip one I am supposed to measure around or under that lovely roll of tummy that hangs down..

Yeah.......I do over the tummy (I call it things that are much less pleasant and probably some sort of forum violation). I actually do TWO measurements of my hips. One standing and one sitting(always a larger #), since that tummy takes up most of my lap when I sit down :blushing: :sad: That also helps me buy clothes, so I can measure them and know if they'll be uncomfortably tight when I sit down. Goodness, I love the journey but there sure are some areas I wish would just disappear.....
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Here is the soup recipe:
    Italian Vegetable Soup
    1 lb. ground beef (its just as good with 1/2lb.)
    1 c. diced onion
    1 c. sliced celery
    1 c. sliced carrots
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1 can (16 oz.) tomatoes
    1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
    1 can red kidney beans, undrained
    2 cups water
    5 t. beef boullion
    1 T. dried parsley
    1/2 t. oregano
    1/2 t. basil
    1/4 t. pepper
    Brown hamburger and onion. Combine the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 20 min.
    Add 2 c. shredded cabbage, 1 c. green beans (I usually just use a 16 oz. can), and 1/2 c. elbow macaroni. Simmer until veggies are tender, about 10 min.

Hope you enjoy this. I make a version of it without the hamburger and macaroni that I eat for lunch nearly every day. Very low cal and satisfying.
    Kaye
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,107 Member
    Options
    Wishing everyone well---all success and good health!

I'm passing on this month's challenges. I am totally happy (at this point) with my carbs as is. They come from fruits, veggies, dairy products and occasionally oatmeal.

I am going to try my own diet tweaks this month though. I'm going to see how I feel with only 2 servings of dairy per day and back to no meat and no eggs with the exception of one serving of salmon a week. I'm heading more towards Dr. Fuhrman's *beans & greens* concept. We'll see. This isn't a commitment, just an experiment.

In the spirit of experimentation, I made 12-bean soup with carrots today.

Later!

Lin
    :drinker: :drinker:
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Robin - Congrats on your surgery results! I hope you are feeling 100% soon and your pain calms soon.

Tina - Congrats on going back to school. It is such a major accomplishment and even though it will be hard it will be so worth it. You are going to be teaching your daughter an important lesson as you reach your goals.

Karen - Happy Belated Birthday!

Aug - Yay! New truck!

KJEFFRIES2, MyM0wM0w, lizmil79, skinnyjeanz, Lauriek70, susan2396, BohemianCoast - Thanks for the warm welcome back :)

Monday Check-in: My week last week was successful on the food, exercise, and motivation front. I have been doing a walking treadmill pilot at work and the goal is to get 10,000 steps per day/70,000 per week and I exceeded my goal by over 10,000 last week for the first time in six weeks. I want to repeat that again this week. Mondays are typically really hard for me because I work about 9 hours and have about 1.5 hours of class. I bombed out at dinner. I got a C on a test, DH is looking for a job right now and is especially discouraged, and I've been battling a case of the blues since my birthday in August. So that that bottle of wine looked pretty fantastic tonight. I was trolling for some chocolate but there wasn't anymore. Over the past few weeks I would really let a night like tonight get under my skin but I was honest in my food diary and posted the ugly truth. You lovely ladies and gentleman help me remember it's the right thing to do. Tomorrow I will drag my behind to the gym after class.

As for the October Challenge:
    Carb Goal: 40% @ 1700 calories/day

Measurements:
    Neck: 14.75
    Bust: 49
    Natural Waist: 41
    Waist: 42.5
    Hips: 48
    Thigh: 27
    Arm: 15.5
    It has been waaaaaaay too long since I've pulled out the tape measure.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Check in- good week last week and off to a good start today. Calm week for after school meetings which is good so I can focus on what I am eating.

October goals-
    Keep carbs between 115 and 130g.
    Measurements:
    neck: 14
    hips WIDEST 48.5, BELOW HIPS Top of thighs 41.5
    waist @ naval 41
    below chest 41
    thighs: LT 23 RT 22.5
    arms LT: 12, RT 13

Gym Goal for the week--
    Saturday- gym stationary bike (5 miles plus 1 mile walk)
    Sunday- bike ride (9.5 miles)
    Monday- gym (climbing) Went climbing need to work on the intermediate wall again was rusty tonight::grumble:
    Tuesday- gym with trainer
    Wednesday- Frisbee golf this will include a nice walk around a park -Hope it doesn't rain
    Thursday- gym
    Friday- rock climbing
  • Lauriek70
    Options
    Just a few reminders;

This thread will be coming to an end very shortly. Follow the link in blue at the last post on this page. It will take you to new thread.

Since goals tend to get lost, it may be a good idea to copy your measurements and paste them onto the notes page for October 31 or Nov. 1. This way you can refer back to them at the end of the month. This works for me and wanted to share it with everyone.
  • Lauriek70
    Options
    How did you do it? I am just starting. 100 is my goal. I am a college student forced to eat dining hall food not labeled with nutrition facts. Do you have any suggestions?

Salad bar
    lean protein like chicken and fish
    At close to real as possible, no processed.
    One plate with one half filled with vegetables (low salt, no sauces) and the half split between a lean protein and a carb is a pretty balanced healthy meal. Can't go wrong there.

I would suggest finding out who provides the dining hall food. For example if it's Sodexo (They run our cafeteria at work) all their recipes are already in the MFP database so it makes it easy.

I agree. Salad bars are also good just avoid the pasta and other salads. You can always add chicken, tuna or other proteins to your salad. Chances are the dining hall will offer some healthier choices just watch your portions. Try to stick with eggs or other proteins at breakfast- avoid the pasties and other treats at breakfast.
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options

I measure my waist in 2 places--at the bellybutton and at the narrowest point of my torso (about 3 inches above the bellybutton). I make the tape measure snug, but I don't scrunch the skin.

I think the key is to do it the same way every time--if you do it loose the 1st time, continue to do it loose; if you tighten it the 1st time, keep measuring tight. Make sense?

Okay I think I got it! Thanks a heap!
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Robin, You are too cool. I think I will just stay away from her.

Skinny Jeans - Thanks for advice
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    i found out tonight that i finalled in a writing contest i entered that might lead to something else bigger so that's cool. it made up a little for the fact that the first show i've REALLY loved since Buffy in 1996 totally jacked me over today haha. i'm betrayed. i don't follow shows very often at all. i could count the number of times i've really liked a show on one hand. and this one ended season 3 normally and then season 4 started by randomly dropping me into literally a completely different cast. without warning. wth? who does that? :laugh: i had to watch it twice just to wrap my brain around it.
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone,

Just stop in to catchup on all of the posts.

@Robin--glad to hear that your arm is doing better.

@Kaye --Great job at the church potluck they can be tricky. I make a hamburger soup too. Yours sounds really good would love the recipe.

Congrats to all of you who scale victories this week. I loss 1.5lbs this week.

@Lin-- your experment sounds interesting wish you luck.

@Christine--Sounds like you had a productive day. Those are the best!

@Toots that all sounds exciting!!

@skinny--like you i don't try to eat regular foods. right now I measure, weigh everything I am eating eating normally seems to be workin. g for me. I am trying whole grains, whole wheat pasta, brown rice lean meats etc. thing but if we end up with only regular pasta in the house i will eat that but like everything right now i measure to make sure i have the right size serving.

I realise that I am not ready to share my measurements I know its just numbers but not ready. i share my weight. With Carbs i eat what every mfp says is ok.

October Goals:
    enter my foods daily.
    walk at least 35 minutes a day
    Drink my water.
    Enjoy whatever scale victories I have,
    Find something postive daily

Liz
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    OK I'm going to start the roll over
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    FOR NEWBIES ....................................PLEASE NOTE................................................................

- PLEASE NOTE - soon, we will soon come to the end of this current thread - every 20 pages, or 500 posts - we start a new Thread - you will see at the bottom IN the last post on page 20 a sentence like this :

(<Continued at this topic >) and the words “this topic” will be in blue.

Click on that phrase and it will take you to the first post on our new page One.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    :heart:

FOR NEWBIES ....................................PLEASE NOTE................................................................

- PLEASE NOTE - soon, we will soon come to the end of this current thread - every 20 pages, or 500 posts - we start a new Thread - you will see at the bottom IN the last post on page 20 a sentence like this :

Click on that phrase and it will take you to the first post on our new page One.

:heart:
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    :heart: :heart:

:heart: :heart:
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart:

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

GOALS and IDEAS for daily posts (Not mandatory)

Monday - Check In (how are you doing? Had any successes or struggles this week-end?)

Tuesday - Goals (do you have any Goals you want to update us?)

Wednesday - Wishes (what do you wish? It can be weight related or not, can be realistic or not)

Thursday - Truth (got anything you need to fess up to or get off your chest?)

Friday - Fitness (what are you doing to get fit? How are you preparing for weekend eating?

Saturday - Success (what have you accomplished; focus on the positive of the week, NSV=non scale victories)

Sunday - Sharing (tell us a little about yourself....update your personal life)

OCTOBER GOALS:

1. Take your measurements at the start and end of the month.

2. Control Your Carbs. Limit your carb intake below what you had been eating before this month. For example,
    dramatic carb limits would be 150 gm carb a day.

____________________________________________________________________________