Quinoa: Love it, like it, hate it, never tried it?

Options

Replies

• headoverhills
    Options
    LOVE it!! And more importantly, the pickiest eater on the face of the Earth, my daughter, likes it too. I'm making a quinoa greek salad tonight.
  • Kelene616
    Kelene616 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Since my last post, I did make the rainbow Quinoa with Alaskan salmon, and sauteed yellow squash and mushrooms. It was SOOOO good! Since then I've been adding cold Quinoa and crumbled feta cheese to my salads. What a great combo! Can't wait now to try some of the recipes I've seen here :-) If you any really good ones, PLEASE message them to me! Id be more than happy to trade :-)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    question for all:

What type of Quinoa do you, yourself enjoy best or typically use the most when cooking?

Golden, rainbow, etc...

I've not used all the types yet so looking to learn anything I can about other varieties of it.

Thanks!:drinker:
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Since my last post, I did make the rainbow Quinoa with Alaskan salmon, and sauteed yellow squash and mushrooms. It was SOOOO good! Since then I've been adding cold Quinoa and crumbled feta cheese to my salads. What a great combo! Can't wait now to try some of the recipes I've seen here :-) If you any really good ones, PLEASE message them to me! Id be more than happy to trade :-)
    I'll keep that in mind and thanks for sharing the yummy idea for salads & the Feta Cheese! Have you cooked with any type other than rainbow?
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Loved after the 5th time making it. I was determined, my kids and husband even like it now too.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I bought a small bag and it took me forever to get through it. I'm not a fan of the texture of it, nor the boring taste (I'm not a very creative cook). The best thing I made with it were some muffins, and even those were questionable.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    wanna try it but haven't yet
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I tried it after reading about it here. I just cooked it in my rice cooker. The first time I had it I mixed it with some coconut oil, fresh cilantro, and green onions. It was pretty good. My daughter loves it and specifically asks for it. I was surprised! She hardly ever likes anything new. She says it looks like bird seed. Tonight, I added some of it to miso soup to round off the day's calories.
  • ponderosakaren
    ponderosakaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that great link! I was about to try quinoa but had no idea what to do with it and thought it might be bland....this recipe sounds excellent!
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Lovelovelove it!
    I haven't had any in a few weeks. I know what I'll be making this week!
    I just cook it in some soup stock and herbs, and then pair it with meat/veggies. I kind of use it as a substitute to rice/potatoes/etc,
  • livingwithlam
    Options
    Ive never tried it.

I might someday, though, considering all these comments...
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Southwestern Black Bean, Quinoa and Mango Medley
    Skinnytaste.com

Servings: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup

Calories: 164 • Fat: 4 g • Protein: 6 g • Carb: 27 g • Fiber: 7 g • Sugar: 11.6 g
    Sodium: 93 mg

Ingredients:

15-ounce can black beans, no salt added, rinsed and drained
    1 cup cooked quinoa (according to package directions)
    1 cup fresh or frozen corn
    1 small red bell pepper, chopped
    1 cup chopped fresh mango
    1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
    juice from 1 medium lemon or lime
    1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    1/4 tsp ground turmeric

Directions:

Mix together the beans, quinoa, corn, bell pepper, mango, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño in a mixing bowl.

Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and turmeric in a small bowl.

Drizzle over the mixture and toss. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/08/southwestern-black-bean-quinoa-and.html
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Apples and Cinnamon Breakfast Quinoa

Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1 bowl (1/4 of recipe)
    You can divide the recipe to make 2 servings.

Calories: 316 • Fat: 8 g • Carbs: 53 g • Fiber: 6 g • Protein: 9 g • Sugar: 20 g
    Sodium: 35 mg

Ingredients:
    1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed well
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 tsp cinnamon + more for sprinkling
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1/4 cup golden raisins
    1 cup warmed fat-free milk for drizzling (non-dairy milk is fine)
    1 gala apple, peeled and diced
    1/4 cup pecans, chopped

Directions:

Combine quinoa, water, cinnamon and vanilla in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes until quinoa can be fluffed with a fork.

Divide cooked quinoa between four bowls then stir in apple sauce, raisins, and pour in warmed milk. Top with fresh cut apples and pecans and a dash of cinnamon.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/10/apples-and-cinnamon-breakfast-quinoa.html - for comments..
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm actually buying some for the first time this week. I've only ever had it in granola mixes and such, never cooked. We shall see! I hope I like it, it has a lot of protein for a grain.
  • HappyandToned
    HappyandToned Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think it's great and it's really quick to make in a rice cooker!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Like it a lot! I usually add chopped veggies.
  • leereyn39
    Options
    I have never tried it. but I have been thinking of trying it
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Love! Yesterday morning I cooked it with pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla. Then added a little milk and agave. YUMMY!

I've also simmered it with chicken stock and used it as a side dish.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    http://www.penguin.ca/static/pages/features/2012/quinoa_gallery/QuinoaBlad.pdf (link for the recipe above and other Quinoa recipes featured in their new book)

Quinoa Revolution
    Over 150 Healthy, Great-Tasting Recipes Under 500 Calories

by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming

Transform your traditional eating habits with over 150 new, easy-to-make Quinoa recipes, all under 500 calories per serving!

Bestselling authors Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming are back with a brand new book that addresses numerous health and lifestyle concerns such as weight loss, vegetarian diets, food allergies, gluten intolerance, disease prevention, athletic training, diabetes, and heart conditions.

In addition to being one of the world’s healthiest foods, Quinoa has a long list of amazing properties that makes it so versatile in any number of recipes.

Quinoa Revolution shows that Quinoa is not only used to boost nutrition, but it can also enhance taste or texture, thicken, hold moisture, replace gluten, increase protein, and more!

Learn tips and tricks for the preparation of Quinoa, solutions for cooking it in a variety of liquids, instructions for grinding your own flour, and guidelines on how to use sprouted Quinoa. From light snacks to full meals and even dessert, discover how this nutrient-superior superfood can play a role.

I'm really excited about this book, anyone else plan on picking up a copy?
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    LOOOVE IT!