So..no barbells at gym

Options

Replies

• erdunn75
    erdunn75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree. A gym that has no barbells? Change gyms!
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I would think if they have dumbbells you can do most things just fine especially as a beginner to lifting! You can google any weight lifting move just about and find out a way to modify it with dumbbells. Good luck!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    "Strength training" means training to get stronger and is in fact what is under discussion right now. Squatting 300 is still novice level for an average height man and can be achieved in under a year. If a man wants "strength training" to continue to be strength training, then he should be concerned about squatting 300. (yes i know the op is a woman)

dude...you need to re-think what you think is average. The average adult male cannot squat 300 pounds and IS NOT novice level.

I said average height which would translate to a particular weight range within a decent BF%. Take me. I'm 6'180ish A cross from novice to intermediate level squat for me at this weight would be a 1rm of 360lbs (2xBW) which means my 5 rep work set weights would be over 300 lbs.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Haha, I don't disagree with you, I just thought the article was interesting. It's Waldo doing the arguing.

Ain't no one is taking my barbells.

i apologize. typo.
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    and I weigh 205 with a 6 pk).

You must be over 6'5" tall and\or way higher than avg density and\or genetically blessed to have fat come off your stomach earlier than most dudes and\or be storing a lot of your weight in your legs.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    lol @ people who think barbells are necessary for strength training.

Even if they're not necessary you're paying good money for a gym when you can get a membership with better amenities for the same price or

Give me the money and you can just do body exercises either way same results
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

You must be over 6'5" tall and\or way higher than avg density and\or genetically blessed to have fat come off your stomach earlier than most dudes and\or be storing a lot of your weight in your legs.

6'1", about 11% BF.

Legs are 25.x" each, chest is a little under 50".

I just use bodyweight and dumbbells though, no barbells, so I have no muscles and am not strong at all.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

205 with abs is very doable, it takes hard work more then genetic gifts. Waldo's been training BW for a while now. And I'm certain he's had the results he's had because he enjoys doing it. The thing you can stick with doing is going to beat out any other program on that merit alone. Some people don't like working iron. Some people don't like doing bodyweight stuff. My fat *kitten* isn't going into a yoga class even though at my weight some of the things those folks do would be insanely challenging and would proabably benefit my overall health, fitness, and strength levels.
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    I'm not saying it can't be done, but someone ~6' at 200+ with low enough bf to truly have a 6 pack would be yoked to hell, and he isn't. Not that I am or that there is anything wrong with not being yoked, just sayin the math doesn't add up.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

I just use bodyweight and dumbbells though, no barbells, so I have no muscles and am not strong at all.

"strength" is kind of relative.

"omg, that guy does L-sits for 60 seconds, lemme drop my panties"
    __Said by no woman ever__

Whatever works for you bro, but strong means being able to move weight. If I was doing things that 12 year old girls do on a daily basis, I wouldn't brag about it and say I was strong. I'm not saying it doesn't take a ton of talent and technique and some impressive core strength. But .........
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    I'm not saying it can't be done, but someone ~6' at 200+ with low enough bf to truly have a 6 pack would be yoked to hell, and he isn't. Not that I am or that there is anything wrong with not being yoked, just sayin the math doesn't add up.

6 pack is a term that is loosely used.
    if you're not under 10% you don't really have a 6 pack.

Don't stress over the math brother.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

I'm not stressed brah! ;)
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

Whatever works for you bro, but strong means being able to move weight. If I was doing things that 12 year old girls do on a daily basis, I wouldn't brag about it and say I was strong. I'm not saying it doesn't take a ton of talent and technique and some impressive core strength. But .........

To be fair, most women don't care what you can bench either.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    isn't there a way you disputing guys (especially the ones with the shirtless pics :wink: ) can just wrestle for it?

post pics mmmkay :glasses:
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

For a beginner with limited options, use what you can. Doing something is better than doing nothing.

I lost 40 lbs using cardio and weights machines at a gym my work opened up on campus. I didn't really have a plan at that time, but I just went, talked to some people and the trainers there, and did _something_. I know it didn't get me strong like some of these guys, but I'm in MUCH better shape now that I was before.

Now, 8 months later (and having joined here!) I'm starting to add more weights to my routine. My gym - being a work one - is small and free. It is also very convenient. So I use it. But, we don't have barbells.

I decided to follow the Simple Beginners Routine (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933), modified for dumbbells. Youtube videos for the barbell versions are in this playlist: - you can search YouTube to find the dumbbell equivalents. [I've only just started - I'm on week 1 of cycle 1].

I'd say a program like this would at least get you started. If you start maxing out, then you'll have to look for other options. My gf has actually just scored me a free set of barbell weights I think from her cousin...
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

agreed.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    isn't there a way you disputing guys (especially the ones with the shirtless pics :wink: ) can just wrestle for it?

post pics mmmkay :glasses:

I'm in.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    To the OP:

For a beginner with limited options, use what you can. Doing something is better than doing nothing.

I lost 40 lbs using cardio and weights machines at a gym my work opened up on campus. I didn't really have a plan at that time, but I just went, talked to some people and the trainers there, and did _something_. I know it didn't get me strong like some of these guys, but I'm in MUCH better shape now that I was before.

Now, 8 months later (and having joined here!) I'm starting to add more weights to my routine. My gym - being a work one - is small and free. It is also very convenient. So I use it. But, we don't have barbells.

I decided to follow the Simple Beginners Routine (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933), modified for dumbbells. Youtube videos for the barbell versions are in this playlist: - you can search YouTube to find the dumbbell equivalents. [I've only just started - I'm on week 1 of cycle 1].

I'd say a program like this would at least get you started. If you start maxing out, then you'll have to look for other options. My gf has actually just scored me a free set of barbell weights I think from her cousin...

You, sir, I like your style. Well done and good advice.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

yeah we do.. as long as it's more than whatever that creepy spider in the corner weighs
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Most guys it is clearly visible at all times in the 11-12% range, it just isn't sharp unless flexed. No 6 pack until <10% is nonsense.

If you've got a full adonois belt and sharp serratus you're fairly close to 10-11% or less, measurements at that point suck anyway.