Reminder: The Scale Does NOT Define You!

Replies

• :heart:

ditto
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    First of all you look freaking amazing!!! Second I agree with you.....the scale is definately a big fat liar!!! I've been pumping up my strength training now for several months in addition to the workouts I've been doing consistenly now for over 600 days. I've noticed since I pumped up the strength, my weight has increased by 5 lbs on most days. You have proven to me that the scales aren't that big of a deal and we should be focused more on how we feel and look then that darn number on the scales, Thank you:):)
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    I love this. You are an amazing inspiration.
  • Thanks for posting this! I constantly weigh myself and get frustrated when it fluctuates. I gotta keep this as a reminder :)
  • Cheryl188
    Cheryl188 Posts: 114 Member
    I keep this running through my head daily. The scale hasn't moved for me in over 3 months, but my clothes are falling off. It's the weight training that changes your body.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    Love it Lorina!
    Thanks for the always great thread and pics:)
  • skifvr1
    skifvr1 Posts: 7 Member
    You ROCK! Congratulations and thanks for the positive message!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    You are so right. The scale is an inferior tool anyway. It's okay as a trend tool over time, but even then it's inferior over say a DXA scan or hydrostatic body composition test.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • Thank you for this post soooo needed it :flowerforyou:
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Thank you so much!
  • forwesgar13
    forwesgar13 Posts: 56 Member
    I always love your picture presentations ! For me I always worked out and ate whatever I wanted . I stopped working out for a year And put on a few pounds but my muscle converted to fat , so my body shape changed . Your pictures helped me understand that. Hope that make sense. Thanks for taking the time to post b/c it was a light bulb for me that eating slightly better and staying active was my new plan . Went to get new pants the other day I was a 3/4 havn't seen that since i was 15! Feel fantastic working out again ....
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Thanks for posting this! I think people get too hung up on the scale....I'm actually trying to stay the same (or even put on weight) but seriously drop my body fat percentage. 6' & 220ish & lean...that's my goal.

Oh, and very nice curves, both before and after....although there should be another pic with the new jeans that replaced those :smile:
  • bexporter
    bexporter Posts: 11 Member
    Can I hug you? Please? I so needed this! Bookmarking for later & definitely taking photos. I meant to before I started and never got around to it.

Thank you for the boost! :)
  • I love all of your posts. They are all so inspiring. I just posted on my page last week about how I'm no longer a slave to the scale. The scale keeps going up and down. Then I went clothes shopping because my clothes are too big. I went from a large to a medium shirt size, a large to a medium jacket size, a size 5 to a 3 pant size. My scale has been stuck between 150 and 148 for the past few weeks. You are so right.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Awesome post and so true. My scale weight was stuck and even backsliding 5-6 lbs most of the summer- and I am just now getting back to the weight I was at in June. But I have a shirt I bought almost a year ago as a goal to fit into- in June I was happy I could just get it buttoned but it was way too tight to wear- today it actually fits me very well.
  • natural813
    natural813 Posts: 183 Member
    I needed to read this..Thanks :)
  • oh god i needed this... I am only 1kg lighter than i was this time last year.. i work out alot. strenght training and cardio.. i will admit, i dont think ive been eating enough, but i have seen the light..... it is frustrating

but even though im pretty much the smae weight, ive dropped a dress size.. so i cant complain... Time to throw the scales in the bin... me thinks.......... dont look at how far we have to go, look at how far we've come

and ive lost 36kgs (about 70p)... so I ROCK.................. and U ROCK toooo.. you look amazing... thanks for the read
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    How true the saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words"!
    Thanks for posting these words of encouragement. :flowerforyou:
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    The scale is a lying, cheating *kitten* who kicks puppies and takes candy from babies. Don't give it any power over you.

Muwahahahahahaha :smile: :smile:
  • Wow thanks for posting!!!!!! I hate the stupid scale!!!! Awesome job!! very encouraging.