Smokers – selfish scum or persecuted minority?

Options

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    MDWilliams: This, along with a gazillion other things easily searched on the internet should provide you with the proof you need that second-hand smoke is deadly and dangerous to everyone. I hope that you will do a small amount or reading and realize that you should change your tune on this issue. If not... then I don't know what to tell you. I'm bowing out before things get mean spirited. I feel like the arguments are just going in circles at this point.

http://www.epa.gov/smokefre/healtheffects.html
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    What about overweight people in front of kids?
    Giving the impression that it's 'ok' to be overweight can have life-long consequences that can be worse than smoking as far as health and enjoyment of life goes.

While I'm not a smoker, being anti-authoritarian, I would prefer businesses could choose how they run their business just as we can choose what we do in our own homes.

Holy cow. Common sense. I wish that would rub off on others.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    All I am asking is why should I feel guilty about wanting to walk into a grocery store,eat at a restaurant,take a walk n the park, go into the mall,go to an amusement park,etc, and not want to breathe toxins that will make me ill? I don't have a problem with anyone breathing air. Hey...it's free. But cigarette smoke isn't smart enough to be able to stay in the smoking section. It likes to travel and meet every body. I don't care how many fans are going, that stuff is going to travel. Then I get to share it.
    As above - do you use a car, busses, some trains etc?
    Do you use services which make use of these?

Some people seriously suffer from various things from car fumes, even these days with relatively 'cleaner' vehicles.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    What about overweight people in front of kids?
    Giving the impression that it's 'ok' to be overweight can have life-long consequences that can be worse than smoking as far as health and enjoyment of life goes.

While I'm not a smoker, being anti-authoritarian, I would prefer businesses could choose how they run their business just as we can choose what we do in our own homes.

Are you kidding me?
    First of all, a lot of people gain weight when pregnant... That is almost inevitable.
    Then there are medical conditions and medications which make it extremely hard to lose weight/slow down your metabolism.
  • MDWilliams1857
    Options
    MDWilliams: This, along with a gazillion other things easily searched on the internet should provide you with the proof you need that second-hand smoke is deadly and dangerous to everyone. I hope that you will do a small amount or reading and realize that you should change your tune on this issue. If not... then I don't know what to tell you. I'm bowing out before things get mean spirited. I feel like the arguments are just going in circles at this point.

Been there done that. Read all sorts of studies. No study has ever proven second hand smoke to be harmful, Thats a fact. Accept it or not, its still a fact.
  • marsviolet
    marsviolet Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Smoking is repulsive and it kills. The people saying second hand smoke is harmless are kidding themselves, it's disgusting that it is still legal to sell tobacco. I appreciate the fact that it is an addiction but I just feel so sad for people who lose family members needlessly. The only people I would call selfish scum though are the people who throw their butts on the ground. THERE IS NO EXCUSE.
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm a smoker - I don't smoke in my house, I smoke outside it. I don't smoke in my car either. Oh and I don't smoke around children, or around my non-smoking friends if I can help it! The one thing that does get me is pregnant women smoking - yes I know its their choice, but I see that as being selfish (my sister in law smoked constantly whilst pregnant, and unfortunatley lost 2 children - not saying its because of this, but it could of been a factor - and now the 2 children she does have both have bad asthma, again, don't know if it is caused by the smoking whilst pregnant - but it doesnt help)

When I smoke at work, it is on the roof, away from people who would likely walk past and cough and splutter because I'm "polluting their air" - what about all the car fumes you inhale - do you cough and splutter everytime one of them goes past you? If anyone does this to me now whilst I'm walking to work, and enjoying my pre-work ciggie, I make a point of blowing the smoke toward them and try and keep up with them - petty, I know - but if you can be like that then so can I!

When I go to the pub, I smoke outside, away from the door (if I can unless there's some inconsiderate non-smoker taking up my space!)

There are so many rude people on here - everyone has their own vices, and not everyone may agree with them, but not everyone goes on about it, and tries to change people!

Wow! You comment on the rude people on here but you're just as rude when you deliberately blow smoke at someone who coughs and splutters. Believe me not everyone who coughs and splutters is doing it just to make a point. I'm one of those people who cough and splutter because I can't stand it when I get a face full of someone's cigarette smoke. I guess you don't realize how nasty that is to someone who doesn't smoke and how hard it is to even breathe! Really, I'm sorry you're offended by me trying to get that stuff out of my system and just trying to breathe again. I just kind of enjoy breathing.

But when I'm outside - you know, the great outdoors, big open spaces etc etc and you decide to walk that close to me that you do maybe catch a whiff of my smoke over the car exhausts and you cough/splutter then sorry but not my problem - plenty of space to walk around me or past me so you don't need to walk that close to me! I already said I don't smoke around people who don't smoke if I can help it, so I certainly wouldn't stand there and "blow smoke in their face" as you put it.

I enjoy breathing, I also enjoy living - and I seem to be able to both, simultaneously without having an issue with it - I don't smoke heavily so why shouldn't I?!
  • MDWilliams1857
    Options
    Lol, so I don't usually participate in a heated discussion like this one. Tonight I can't sleep, so what the heck, I will give it a go.
    Facts-I have been told by the doctor that I have smokers lungs.
    -I have NEVER engaged in smoking in my life.
    -I was always sick with some type of lung issue while growing up.
    - My father smoked till I was 18.
    -My bronchial tubes close up when I am trying to walk into a 'public' place and someone walks by smoking.
    These are just a few of my own personal facts.
    All I am asking is why should I feel guilty about wanting to walk into a grocery store,eat at a restaurant,take a walk n the park, go into the mall,go to an amusement park,etc, and not want to breathe toxins that will make me ill? I don't have a problem with anyone breathing air. Hey...it's free. But cigarette smoke isn't smart enough to be able to stay in the smoking section. It likes to travel and meet every body. I don't care how many fans are going, that stuff is going to travel. Then I get to share it.
    Smokers die young and fast? Ha! They carry around liquid oxygen and meds for which the public gets taxed to pay the health care bills. My mother worked at a store that supplied oxygen, they billed Medicaid/Medicare for most of their equipment. So....if I get taxed so they can have meds to help them live a damaged life of their own making, then why can't I have a say in being able to breathe cigarette free air?
    Just asking a logical question.
    And there is my own opinion ;-}
    Jac

If I had health problems and knew that smoking was allowed in a certain place, I wouldnt go in the place. I know its crazy right? I would make a choice and not enter the place I didnt want to go rather than try to force everyone else to cater to my needs. Im crazy like that.
  • MDWilliams1857
    Options
    Smoking is repulsive and it kills. The people saying second hand smoke is harmless are kidding themselves, it's disgusting that it is still legal to sell tobacco. I appreciate the fact that it is an addiction but I just feel so sad for people who lose family members needlessly. The only people I would call selfish scum though are the people who throw their butts on the ground. THERE IS NO EXCUSE.

If you find it repulsive dont do it. Its not just people saying that second hand smoke is harmless, its the countless studies that have been done. A lot of things are disgusting. Should we ban them all? A lot of things are harmful, should we ban them all? We should ban every thing that is harmful to our health?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

If you find it repulsive dont do it. Its not just people saying that second hand smoke is harmless, its the countless studies that have been done. A lot of things are disgusting. Should we ban them all? A lot of things are harmful, should we ban them all? We should ban every thing that is harmful to our health?

Ooh yeah sure.. let's go back to how our ancestors lived with just the earth and the animals...
    "Don't do it"
    Unless you, yourself, have been addicted I don't think you can necessarily talk.. it's not that easy
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Been there done that. Read all sorts of studies. No study has ever proven second hand smoke to be harmful, Thats a fact. Accept it or not, its still a fact.

This is why you don't get into arguments with smokers. Like I said, blinkered idiocy. I'm sorry you lack the intelligence to see a valid scientific argument, that's why you are a smoker and I'm not.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm a smoker - I don't smoke in my house, I smoke outside it. I don't smoke in my car either. Oh and I don't smoke around children, or around my non-smoking friends if I can help it! The one thing that does get me is pregnant women smoking - yes I know its their choice, but I see that as being selfish (my sister in law smoked constantly whilst pregnant, and unfortunatley lost 2 children - not saying its because of this, but it could of been a factor - and now the 2 children she does have both have bad asthma, again, don't know if it is caused by the smoking whilst pregnant - but it doesnt help)

When I smoke at work, it is on the roof, away from people who would likely walk past and cough and splutter because I'm "polluting their air" - what about all the car fumes you inhale - do you cough and splutter everytime one of them goes past you? If anyone does this to me now whilst I'm walking to work, and enjoying my pre-work ciggie, I make a point of blowing the smoke toward them and try and keep up with them - petty, I know - but if you can be like that then so can I!

When I go to the pub, I smoke outside, away from the door (if I can unless there's some inconsiderate non-smoker taking up my space!)

There are so many rude people on here - everyone has their own vices, and not everyone may agree with them, but not everyone goes on about it, and tries to change people!

Wow! You comment on the rude people on here but you're just as rude when you deliberately blow smoke at someone who coughs and splutters. Believe me not everyone who coughs and splutters is doing it just to make a point. I'm one of those people who cough and splutter because I can't stand it when I get a face full of someone's cigarette smoke. I guess you don't realize how nasty that is to someone who doesn't smoke and how hard it is to even breathe! Really, I'm sorry you're offended by me trying to get that stuff out of my system and just trying to breathe again. I just kind of enjoy breathing.

But when I'm outside - you know, the great outdoors, big open spaces etc etc and you decide to walk that close to me that you do maybe catch a whiff of my smoke over the car exhausts and you cough/splutter then sorry but not my problem - plenty of space to walk around me or past me so you don't need to walk that close to me! I already said I don't smoke around people who don't smoke if I can help it, so I certainly wouldn't stand there and "blow smoke in their face" as you put it.

I enjoy breathing, I also enjoy living - and I seem to be able to both, simultaneously without having an issue with it - I don't smoke heavily so why shouldn't I?!

Yeah, the big open space outside where I try to stay away from smokers but sometimes it's nearly impossible. Like when I'm standing at a bus stop waiting for a bus and someone walks past me smoking a strong cigarette and happens to exhale smoke when they walk by me. Or when I'm walking somewhere and pass a smoker and get a face full of smoke. Sometimes it's not so easy to avoid smokers and I certainly try.

And btw, I didn't say you blow smoke in someone's face. You're the one who stated you will blow smoke towards someone who cough and splutters.
  • MDWilliams1857
    Options
    I say, if a person wants to smoke then so be it. I am also all for the legalization of weed, coke, crack, meth, whatever. Its not my business what you do. If we dont own our own bodies, what do we own? To each their own. Live your life how you see fit, and let others do the same. Everyone knows the dangers of smoking and people still choose to do it. If they wrote in big red letter on the front of the pack "THESE THINGS WILL KILL YOU", people would still smoke. We all make choices and we all have to live with the consequences of those choices. Who am I to make a choice for you? Who are you to make a choice for me? Who are you to tel me that I cant run my business the way I see fit? To me, this isnt an issue of people being inconsiderate. The world is full of A hole, both smoking and non. Blowing smoke in someones face is douche baggery 101. But that doesnt mean that smoking should be banned or that I shouldnt be allowed to have an establishment that allows smoking.
  • WelcomeToWonderland
    Options
    Being over weight has more KNOWN risks, side effects and harm then smoking has ever been proven to do; should ban fast food and throw anyone who eats over their calorie limit in jail? If smoking tobacco is child abuse then so should be drinking caffeine, alcohol, taking any pain killer because those alter your perception,thought and reasoning and cigarette have never been proven to do so. Feeding your child more than what they need to sustain themselves through out a day because you are giving you child the risk of diabetes, heart disease and thousand of other health related problems by making your child fat.

If you don't like someone who is smoking out doors then move away from them and if for some reason you *can't* leave stand out of the wind if it really will ruin your life that much ...
  • MDWilliams1857
    Options

This is why you don't get into arguments with smokers. Like I said, blinkered idiocy. I'm sorry you lack the intelligence to see a valid scientific argument, that's why you are a smoker and I'm not.

Actually, Im not a smoker as I have stated many times. Maybe rather than holding yourself up as an intellectual and painting everyone else as stupid, you could work on reading comprehension. You could also take the time to read the hundreds of studies that show no harmful effects of second hand smoke. But what do I know, Im not nearly as mart as you think you are.
  • 8Spokes
    8Spokes Posts: 35
    Options
    I have never smoked, but I do have compassion for smokers. I understand that it is an extremely difficult habit to break.

That being said, I do think that it is child abuse to smoke around children and extremely incosiderate to smoke around anyone else. I also don't think that Medicare or Medicaid should have to pay reoccuring medical bills associated with smoking or that the hospitals or doctors should have to absorb the cost; especially when someone isn't making an attempt to stop.

I am a nurse, and it gets very frustrating to have a patient with a respiratory diagnosis that smokes and has every intention of continuing to smoke. Sure it's your right to smoke, but is it your right to have others suffer the financial burdens of your habit?

Well said- very valid point.

We're talking about an addiction here, so folks who smoke are likely to become defensive. I'm going to be honest here...

There have been many studies regarding the ingridients in cigarrettes/cigars and their effect on the human body. Blowing those chemicals into the air around someone else is going to be detrimental to his/her health.

Also, I don't have to be very close to someone smoking and will cough when I walk by- it's not obnoxious, it just really irritates my throat. You'd be amazed at how far smoke travels when there's a breeze. ;) If my coughing offends you, maybe you're being defensive.

If you have a vice/habit, that's all you and all "good" - I just don't see the need to make others suffer through it. That said, I very much appreciate my right to breathe relatively clean air and enjoy an environment that won't make my clothes/hair/skin smell like smoke when I get home. I'd think it'd be simple enough (and considerate) to smoke before going to a public establishment.
  • MDWilliams1857
    Options

Ooh yeah sure.. let's go back to how our ancestors lived with just the earth and the animals...
    "Don't do it"
    Unless you, yourself, have been addicted I don't think you can necessarily talk.. it's not that easy

Actually it is that easy. I dont do things all the time.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    As someone who feels ill around cigarette smoke, I consider smoking to be a public nuisance. Your addiction should not trump my ability to breathe. So, yes, I am in favor banning smoking in public places, just like I am in favor public noise ordinances and open bottle laws. That said, I don't understand people who feel the need to "enlighten" smokers about the dangers of their habit.

So you think you have the right to tell me I cant allow smoking in my own restaurant?

Yeah, I guess maybe you ought to be able to have a smoker designated restaurant for your limited clientele. Since most people don't smoke these days, you could be driving away a lot customers by bringing smoking into your restaurant. People don't want to put up with being exposed to other people's pollution like they used to in the old days. I remember how my uncle used to wolf down his dinner then light up a cigarette at the table while the rest of us were still eating. Nauseating during dinner - the smell turned my stomach. I avoid smokers whenever possible so I avoid places where smokers are allowed. I'm sure they wouldn't like me, either, since I'd be gasping for air...

As far as your other post about not liking tattoos and piercings, I don't recall a case of tattoos and piercings bringing on an asthma attack or allergic reaction in a bystander. Not a great comparison in my opinion...Smoke all you want, just keep your toxic plume to yourself.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I dont smoke but I find all the anti smoking crap to be over the top. Here in Ohio smoking is banned in all public places which is crazy. If I own a business, it should be my choice as to whether or not I allow smoking in my establishment. If someone wants to eat at my restaurant but doesnt like all the smoke, guess what? They can go eat somewhere else. No one is making them eat there. You have to make a choice. Either my food is so good that you will put up with the smoke, or you can go eat else where. Pretty simple. Here in the town I live in I have seen businesses go out of business due to the smoking ban. Bowling allies are getting crushed. Smokers are not going to spend their money at a place, spend 4-5 hours there and not be able to smoke. Also, the whole argument that smokers cost us money in healthcare is also false. Smokers die younger, thats a fact. Therefore, they save us money in the long run. What ever happen to personal choices and personal responsibility? Whatever happen to a property owners right to decide what they are going to allow on their own property? The nanny state is out of control. And there is no shortage of people that think that anything they dont like should be banned. Its crazy.

I agree. I'm not a smoker but here in PA establishments that don't sell food are allowed to be "Smoking" establishments. So what happened here, is a lot of bars and bowling alleys closed down their restaurants and don't serve food anymore. Night clubs are all still smoking as well as the casinos.
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Actually, Im not a smoker as I have stated many times. Maybe rather than holding yourself up as an intellectual and painting everyone else as stupid, you could work on reading comprehension. You could also take the time to read the hundreds of studies that show no harmful effects of second hand smoke. But what do I know, Im not nearly as mart as you think you are.

So sue me, I skipped your posts because on the whole they are crap about passive smoking which for some reson you feel is about as realistic as santa (btw he's not real). If you're not a smoker why are you acting like one? Could you give me a link to these so called studies? A VALID link not something in the huffington post, a SCIENTIFIC link such as Science Direct, Scientific American etc. I will gladly read them if you can find any.