I have finally remembered to meaure myself and the results are:

Neck - 40cm
    Bust - 125cm
    Waist - 118 cm
    Hips - 114 cm
    Thigh - 64cm
    Calf - 42cm
    Upper Arm - 37cm

So we shall see what the end of the month brings.

Wednesday Wish: That the traffic isn't bad enough to stop me going to the new gym in the morning on Thursdays and Fridays.
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Bump-ed my head (not literally).
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Had my check in todayand lost 3lbs, better results than I had hoped for, but I will take in anyday. I made wheatgrass juice in my Vitamix blender yesterday and drank it and I seemed to have more energy. I froze the rest so I could have some each day without havng to process. I ran report on my carbs and I was consuming around 140 per day but still staying within my goal. In the past few days, I have been able to reduce that figure to under 80 carbs per day. I was within my calorie count yesterday and treated myself to to Godiva chocolate. I ate very slowly and really savored the taste.

My wish for today is that losing weight will be a cure for my digestive problems. That may be a realistic wish or an unrealistic wish. I have felt some better by following the eating plan, eating lots of fresh veggies and going to the chiropracter a couple of times per week. I also started drinking coconut aloe water since I read that would help an inflamed tummy.

I had a great workout today, really high energy. Still have some walking to do today and tomorrow afternoon Bill (my hubby) & I are taking our bikes to the park and I am going to try riding. Havent rode in years and my balance is a little off, so let's hope I don't take a tumble.

We went to a sushi buffet for lunch. I had 3 pieces and a salad and soup, which still seemed like a lot. I noticed a lot of the thin oriental ladies had very small amounts of food on their plates. I checked out the whole restaurant and it seemed we heavier folk had our plates crammed high and the skinny minnies had their plates barely covered. One exception to the rule only. I would like to change my mindset on buffets. I seem to think I have to get my money's worth when the real point is to nourish my body for a specified period.

I read everyones post and responded where I could. May you all have a wonderful day and much sucess on your journey

Oh Pampered - I don't need my hubby to sabotage my efforts, I do that for myself. Seriously, I sometimes set myself up.
    I find though it is easier to explain what you need to those around you. But if he is doing that on purpose the only way to stop him is to show him it doesnt work. Be strong and just dispose of it or say I'm sorry but I can't eat that. He'll get the point.
    My hubby does most of our cooking and pork keeps coming up, pork chops, kielbasa, & bratwurst. I just made my own meal on the bratwurst, but did let him know that I couldn't eat that much pork and certainly not every day.
    lmackbethl - Thanks for the encouragement. I did better than I thought I would. I love your pics. Am I right in thinking you live in the Pacific Northwest
    SHERILLEB - Glad you got some sleep. Baby will adjust soon
    NZENCZAK I just love your second wish. I took me years to love myself and realize that I didnt have to have someone else to con firm my worth. Once I crossed that threshold, I was able to find someone who I deserved who was good to me. I just hate I wasted my youth in a miserable situation. My freind once told me that I was married to an emotional vampire (my ex-hubby) and that I would never find happiness until I got out of that situation and she was right.

GrandmaKay44 - I wish that for you also. Hope the knee surgery goes great and you recover swiftly. Have you ever tried meditation for the pain? My hubby has had this surgery twice and he did well. Water does help so since you don't have a pool if you could find a therapist with a whirlpool that would be better. Someone at the pool today said she was not have the recommended surgery and just trying to build the muscles around her leg to support the knee. I wonder how she does that.

Garetie - Aren't we all a work in progress. Wish I could say age made it better. Tee hee hee

Dobarber. That was a fantastic accomplishment. I can hardly walk to the end of our street so I know what an accomplishment that was for you. I don't think it matters whether you walked or ran, but it is great that you stayed the course and finished. That is golden. That's an indication of how you have been able to lose an amazing 59 lbs. Way to go!!!
    Katrena
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Dobarber - WOOT WOOT WOOT!!!! congrats on finishing your race! I hope your foot heals fast and doesn't hold you back from anything. I am so proud and impressed by you! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Wednesday Wish::: I don't really know what to wish for today...

Been kind of busy so I don't have time to catch up with everyone today! Sorry!

Tina
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @nzenczak--I usually eat back some or all of my exercise calories. I find if I don't, I'm really hungry the next day (sometimes I just save them and zig-zag--I really despise eating if I'm not hungry).

Whether or not you SHOULD eat them is a matter of debate. My personal opinion is that MFP calculates a certain calorie allowance which already takes into account the deficit to lose "X" lbs/week. If you then also exercise, it's an ADDITIONAL calorie deficit. Depending on how low your base calories are, it could get really dangerous to NOT eat back those exercise calories. So when my base calories are set low (near 1200), I eat back all of my exercise calories. WHen my calories are set a bit higher, like right now at 1600, I''m not so worried about eating back all of those exercise calories. In general, however, I try to make sure my NET calories for the day are at least 1200.

@doug--great job on the 5k!!! A lot of races have the participants corralled by pace, so faster people start up front and walkers start at the back. It's so much better for everyone--the fast peoople can take off unhindered by us slowpokes, and we don't have to endure the embarrassment of the speedsters passing us by b/c they are already in front of us.

Wed Wish:
    That I weren't so darned hungry! :grumble: I swear not eating back even a couple hundred exercise calories leaves me ravenous the next day. It's very annoying, and it's not like I can just zig-zag and add them on today b/c that would screw up my carb tracking. :ohwell:
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Haven't been reading, haven't been posting, haven't been exercising, have been eating cookies! Need some motivation - not going back to 350 ever!!! I know I can get through this - I've been here before - seems like whenever I get under 270 I start screwing up. It's almost like the prisoner who has one week left on his sentence and is so freaked out about getting out that he screws up so he can stay where he feels comfortable.

Gloria
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    @CelticHippo -- given how much gym membership costs I think push-button showers are pretty outrageous really. Though people need to do their bit and turn the showers off.

@276NoMore -- welcome! You just need to post really, whatever you like.

@Jana -- I make vast stockpots of soup all the time; I tend to divide them by 8 for a main course to put them in the recipes, and then judge by eye how much I'm eating when I have a serving.

@ohpampered1 -- He really is trying to sabotage you, isn't he? That's hard. Remember that you're the only person who controls what you actually eat. If he keeps bringing you food you can't eat, then just fix yourself something healthier, or have a tiny portion. I don't normally believe the advice on eating really slowly and chewing every mouthful, but I think it's probably a good idea when faced with homemade macaroni cheese. I'm sorry things are so hard, but presumably there must be things that have kept you together for 23 years? Can you work with him to focus on them?

@nzenczak -- in an ideal world I'd exercise every day and eat back half my exercise calories. I think it's very easy to overestimate calorie burn given the MFP targets, so it can be a bit dangerous to eat back all the cals, especially if you're doing hours and hours of light cardio. In practice I have days where I don't feel all that hungry and don't eat back any, and days where I could eat a horse and do no exercise. It's been balancing ok so far.

@Doug -- so glad your 5k went well!

@Kaye -- Hopefully your surgery will make your knee much, much better.

@Kjeffries2 -- I'm *hopeless* with buffets as well.

My uncle's funeral was fine as these things go; there were hundreds of people there (more than 200, standing room only) as he was a lovely and well-loved man. But despite considerable restraint and care at the buffet table I managed to completely stuff up my food for the day, which of course included zero exercise as we spent seven hours in the car and the rest standing or sitting around. I'll try to not eat back my exercise calories till I've made back the deficit, and obviously it was sandwiches all day so carbs are rubbish.

And a goal -- looks like the whole family are coming here for Christmas. So the house had better be sorted, right?

Wednesday wish -- that I have the energy to get off my tush now and go and do some dance mat. Hey! That one's in my power!

-- Alison
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Wednesday Wish. i wish i wasn't so freaking tired.
  • KATRENAJ
    Options
    HAVE BEEN STAYING UNDER 80 ON CARBS BUT BLEW IT TODAY WHEN I HAD A LARGE SWEET POTATO FOR SUPPER, EVEN THOUGH I AM UNDER MY CALORIES
  • monarchris
    monarchris Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Way to go Doug on the 5K:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Toots, was that you that wished you weren't so tired? Ever since the diverticulitis last week I have been exhausted, and am having difficulties even focusing on anything. I'm getting my walks in but it is hard. Of course it didn't help this morning when I went for my walk without checking my O2 tank which was empty!!!

Wednesday wish is that everyone have a really good week and be energized like the bunny rabbit.

Robin, glad your arms are getting better. Keep taking care of yourself.

Love all you guys and look forward to seeing how you are doing every day. Feel like breaking out in singing "We are Family." Have a great night all.

Christine
  • monarchris
    monarchris Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    HAVE BEEN STAYING UNDER 80 ON CARBS BUT BLEW IT TODAY WHEN I HAD A LARGE SWEET POTATO FOR SUPPER, EVEN THOUGH I AM UNDER MY CALORIES

I'm have a sweet potato for supper along with tilapia, yellow squash, mushrooms and red peppers. Sometimes it is just worth blowing the carbs!
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Toots, was that you that wished you weren't so tired? Ever since the diverticulitis last week I have been exhausted, and am having difficulties even focusing on anything. I'm getting my walks in but it is hard. Of course it didn't help this morning when I went for my walk without checking my O2 tank which was empty!!!

Yeah, at least you have a reason. I don't know what my problem is.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options

80 grams is really, really low for carbs, are you sure you want to deprive yourself that much? I've read that the "sweet spot" for carb intake is around 150 grams a day, so you are really low according to that one article. (which I'll try and find at some later point) At 150 grams a day you should be guaranteed to lose weight, so at 80 grams a day, you must be eating a lot of fat or protein to get your calories in................just wondering how you're doing it?
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,132 Member
    Options
    Wednesday wish: I don't think I could narrow this down to one wish. Ummmmmmmmmmm. Ok.

Yes, I would like to be an energizer bunny I guess---a skinny old lady energizer bunny. Yep, that would do.

Lin
  • SlimReggieBack
    SlimReggieBack Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have one rest day each week!
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm new to these threads, but I'll jump in anyways!

Wednesday Wish: I wish it was Saturday because I have to do 10 hours of work in between 6 hours of driving on Friday.
  • KATRENAJ
    Options
    My food diary is open, but I really have no idea what is an acceptable range for carbs. Where can I find this information. I have been running out of steam around 2pm each day and have to lie down for a while. Maybe I should shoot for 150 carbs, since I did lose weight this week when half of the week was higher carbs. I know I went on Atkins diet once and it didnt work for me
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Doug- Congrats on the 5K. Very impressive.

kjefferies- Carbs is a very tricky thing for many people and it is a trail and error system of finding what works for you. The recommended amount of carbs to lose weight is 150 g. I am attaching a link for an article on the gylcemic index it also contains a list of "good" carbs. Let me know if you can not access this document and we can exchange personal emails so I can send it as an attachment. It is from the CrossFit Journal. You can also try eating a snack around 2pm, for instance lowfat yogurt and Oat Bran for a pick me up. It contain the carbs, fiber and some protein.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1.1&thid=13731d92da3c8427&mt=application/pdf&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=41afbdaac1&view=att&th=13731d92da3c8427&attid=0.1.1&disp=safe&zw&sig=AHIEtbTOD8ulPcZeoviaRJLY9vMtx3h3Lw&pli=1

Wish- That I can dig myself out from under the mess in my class room by Friday. It has been a very busy week.

I blew my carb count today since I ate a soft pretzel. This was the stop gap between the end of school, playing frisbee golf, attending a meeting, and eating dinner. Needless to say it was a late dinner but I walk about 2 miles while playing today. It was fun and low impact exercise.

Tomorrow will be a rest day for me. I have been going all week and I need a break.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new folks! :flowerforyou:

@kjeffries--I don't think 80g of carbs is *super* low--certainly not nearly as low as Atkins-type plans, but if you're feeling run down, try upping them just a bit--maybe to around 100g.day and see if that helps. As robin said, most people can eat closer to 150g /day and still lose weight if they are in a calorie deficit. Also, if you are doing cardio that burns a lot of calories, you will need to up your carbs on those days--your body needs carbs as fuel for cardio such as running, cycling, zumba, etc. Also, there are different types of carbs. Here is an explanation of the difference between white and sweet potatoes in this respect:

"Sweet potatoes also have a lower glycemic index than regular potatoes. The glycemic index is a measure of how quickly blood glucose levels rise after eating. Foods that have a low glycemic index do not cause a quick spike in blood sugar and thus do not overwork the pancreas, said Bovell-Benjamin. As a result, people don’t experience the same roller coaster of sugar highs and lows, which can lead to hunger and the consumption of extra calories. In other words, foods with lower glycemic indexes, like sweet potatoes and brown rice, make you feel full longer." http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/01/news/la-heb-sweet-potatoes-weight-gain-201100701

So it's not just about how many grams of carbs we consume, but what types of carbs, as well as, what type of exercise we are doing.

@lin--good wish! :laugh:

@toots--you and me both!! My lovely puppy is still going through a lets-wake-mom-up-at-3am-every-night phase that started a few weeks ago for no apparent reason whatsoever. :mad:

@alison--sorry about your uncle. :flowerforyou: Those situations are tough--sounds like you muddled through as best you could. The key is to not let those uncontrollable circumstances knock you off-track for the long term.

@gloria--I think we all have those "sticking points" and I truly believe they are both physical and psychological. Our bodies and minds have "comfort points" that we have to struggle to get past. I've been stuck in the 190's for months--I hesitate to even call it a plateau b/c that word implies I have been doing everything right with no success. Instead, I do things right for a few weeks and the scale moves toward the low 190's. Then, I do things wrong and move toward the high 190's. Wish I had the answer for how to get past it; if I figure it out, I promise to share the magic. Until then, know you are NOT alone.

Skipped long run outside b/c A) it was raining and B) I was in a grading mood which happens so rarely that I felt the need to take advantage. Still did my core work and will be under for both calories and carbs for the day. If it's nice weather, I can add a run tomorrow.

Grading goals:
    1. 22/22 vocab quizzes DONE!
    2. 22/22 2-paragraph responses DONE!!!
    3. 44/49 journal reflections ALMOST DONE!
    4. 30/60 Emerson tests
    5. x/22 Punctuation quizzes

Mon--walk dog + core DONE!!!
    Tues--walk dog + gym (weight machines + stationary bike) DONE!!!
    Wed--long run outside SKIPPED THIS DUE TO RAIN + core DONE!!!
    Thurs--walk dog
    Friday--walk dog + core
    Sat--walk dog + gym (weight machines + stairmaster and/or stationary bike)
    Sun--long run outside +core