Anyone NOT eliminating food groups and still losing weight?

Options

Replies

• KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It seems like most people giving weight loss advice recommend eliminating a food group (fat, carbs, etc.) as the "right" way to do it. But if you don't have a medical reason for doing so, I don't see any real reason to. Those of you who have lost a decent amount of weight, did you feel you had to eliminate a food group to do it, or did you still eat a little bit of everything and manage to lose?

I refuse to eliminate any particular food group and I've lost 82 pounds as you can tell by my ticker. My thought is -- I'm simply not willing to give up anything for the rest of my life. I prefer the thought.. everything in moderation.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have not eliminated any food group and have done just fine. I do try to limit the number of carbs I eat on average to 40% .
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Everyone Cuts down on something wither its carbs or sugar.
    Nope, just portion sizes.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I eliminated vino. Raises my blood pressure, bloats me, unneeded calories and makes me stoopid so I don't miss it.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    i haven't eliminated jack squat and lost 130 lbs. I just made sure i prepared my own meals from mostly clean ingredients and avoiding processed foods.
  • brunette824
    brunette824 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    ME! ive lost eight pounds and haven't cut out anything, I just eat in moderation.
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Me! I have strict calorie restriction during the week, but I allow myself one day where I eat whatever I want and do not log. During the days I do log, I try to get as much protein as possible and stay within my calorie limit while not eliminating any one type of food. It seems to be working for me, so until I plateau I'm sticking to it.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I would never eliminate a food group. I do try to eat enough protein and fats, which automatically lowers the amount of carbs I might eat, but I wouldn't eliminate a food group...there are there for a reason. I just reduce my overall calorie intake...working very well for me.
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    I haven't eliminated any food groups either, unless you count processed stuff. I am also still having 2-4 coffees a day made with hi lo milk, not skim.I can't help it, my coffee is sacred! :drinker: Over the years I have tried different "diets"that eliminate certain things and found them just to hard to stick to also I always felt wrong....like something was missing eg; low carb = low energy.
    I have upped my protein however. My10lb loss was for this week!!!! :bigsmile: So I must be doing something right!
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I didn't and have taken off 42 pounds :).
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've never eliminated food groups. I have however found healthier ways of making my old favorites.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness for all the people on this thread who don't have to follow some gimmick but just manage your calories, manage your macros and do just fine! No need to elminate a whole food group. Just make good decisions and stick to your plan.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Me. I eat pretty much whatever I want, just make sure I stay under my calories.
  • CVALGAL
    CVALGAL Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I started out saying, "I want to eat today like I will for the rest of my life." That, for me, meant being able to eat all of the foods I enjoy, and learn to like new ones. Eliminating a food group was not a practical option. As has been said over and over on this thread, moderation is a must, and staying physically active is all part if being healthy.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'm not eliminating any food groups necessarily but I am trying to avoid refined carbs at all costs simply cos they add nothing to my satiety levels (empty calories) or nutrition, and they can be quite addictive & easy to overeat.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated any food groups either, unless you count processed stuff. I am also still having 2-4 coffees a day made with hi lo milk, not skim.I can't help it, my coffee is sacred! :drinker: Over the years I have tried different "diets"that eliminate certain things and found them just to hard to stick to also I always felt wrong....like something was missing eg; low carb = low energy.
    I have upped my protein however. My10lb loss was for this week!!!! :bigsmile: So I must be doing something right!

Awesome!!! :) I'm with you on the coffee, I don't use creamer or sugar anymore (now it's vanilla almond milk and truvia), but you will have to pry my morning cup of coffee out of my cold dead hands!
  • 3Daughtersin2015
    3Daughtersin2015 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've lost 31lbs so far, and I still eat out all the time even sometimes at bad places like McDonalds. You have to live life. The reason I've stuck with it so long is, to think of it as a life style not a diet. Think of it this way. If you want to eat then exercise, if you can't exercise then don't go over your calories. I've stuck with that and have been losing without feelin deprived.
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    Ask yourslef "why am I obese?" Were your grandparents and great grandparents obese? Shouldn't your body be able to regulate itself and maintain a healthy weight?

If you think you're obese because you are lazy and weak, you are putting yourself down for no reason. It is not your fault.

Our grandparents ate meat, they ate vegetables / fruit in season, and they ate some whole grains. They knew that bread was caloric and didn't eat nearly as much of it as we do today. Desserts were a treat, not an every day occurrence. Truth is our bodies are ill prepared to deal with the sugar that the modern grocery store provides (including bread, pastas, white rice, crackers, chips, while potato, cakes, cookies, ...). These foods MAKE us store fat and make us eat more. It's the way our bodies are wired. Those with awesome will power can resist and lose weight, but when the will power fades, are doomed to regain.

The key is to develop a way of eating that allows OUR bodies to regulate themselves, as they were intended, and not depend on our will powers to be ever vigilant.

Limiting carbs is what works for me. Not "no carb", but I have eliminated certain carb-heavy foods that I know trigger me (and I'd guess you to) to overeat. These include regular bread, pasta, rice, white potato, and desserts. It is not a gimmick. I plan to stay with this way of eating forever. I do eat carbs - salads, green veggies, some fruits, and lower carb wraps. I love the foods I eat so much that I don't even miss the foods I don't. And I don't have to log into MFP every day to check that I'm not overeating - my body already knows.

Those that eat low carb as a short-term diet are doomed to the same fate as others. Once they go off the diet and return to eating "normal", they will regain their weight. And those that think low-carb means no-carb will get sick and create serious health problems for themselves.

Everyone has to find the diet that works for them. You need to find a way of eating where you like the food, you maintain your energy level, and very importantly one that fills you up without eating too many calories. Only then do you have a maintainable way of eating that will sustain you for the long term.
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    As someone else said here...this is not a fad diet ...this is a lifestyle, I have NOT eliminated anything EXCEPT I have not eaten fast food in a very long time because I dont think its good for me but that is not really a food group, I will eat french fries and burgers but I wont go to Mc Donalds :)

Buts thats not to say that I NEVER will again :)

For me its all about the calories and portion control...a calorie is a calorie...however because Im 52, I have to watch my sugar, thats about it.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    not intentionally. just tried to up my vegie and dairy intake.