Anyone NOT eliminating food groups and still losing weight?

Options

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out. The rest is mostly smoke and mirrors.
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The only food I've "eliminated" is soda and fried foods, and even then, I still treat myself to them fairly often.
    I absolutely refuse to actually remove one of the basic parts of the food pyramid. Everything in moderation, after all!
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    nope. ever eliminated any food groups.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eliminated candy and sweets for awhile and lost weight really fast, but I'm eating everything now and still losing weight.
  • mgleason01
    mgleason01 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated any food groups and I'm still losing weight. Everything in moderation!
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Add me to this list, too.

I do watch my macros, it's so easy to go overboard on carbs (I did change my macro ratio from the MFP default to 40% carbs, 30% fat and protein). I don't have sandwiches for lunch when I know I'm having pasta for dinner.

I've also added more fresh fruits and veggies when I can.

That said, I still eat out (a lot, actually). I eat pretty much all the same stuff I ate before, just in smaller portions or different meal combinations.

It's all about moderation and staying aware of what your intake is.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    right here. in fact i had chipotle like 3 times this week and still lost a pound. haha. the only thing i really cut out is pasta/lots of bread because it makes me bloat and uncomfortable like no other. this is YOUR lifestyle you can do what you want, if you have to cut things out of your life forever that you love then thats not healthy, but on the other hand if you feel you absolutely cannot go a day without it then thats a problem too. its really all about moderation in the end.
  • shanpwn
    shanpwn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated anything and have lost 15 lbs so far. I am considering eliminating alcohol, but mostly just because it makes me feel terrible these days.
  • graveflower316
    graveflower316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon, pasta, cheese, breads, candy, pastries... you name it and I still eat it. I try to keep within my calories and have lost lots of weight despite eating what I eat. I hate people who cut out foods they love for dieting purposes... because let's be honest, it is not gonna last and they'll just gain the weight back if they eat them again without having learned moderation with these high calorie, fatty foods.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated any food group. I've added a lot of exercise, however, and am religious about measuring and weighing my food, in order to keep control of my calories. There are things I don't eat as often as I used to, as some of my past choices weren't very healthy, which is partly how I ended up here in the first place.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to school of thought which is "Moderation."
  • shepherdbl
    shepherdbl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have eliminated nothing from my foods that I eat. I have simply started counting all of it and cutting back on the 'empty calorie' foods drastically. I have increased the more nutritious items and added in exercise and I continue to lose weight. Slowly but steadily. When I reach my goal weight, because I have continued to eat my "favorite" foods, I will not be going on an eating binge to 'make up for lost time.' I believe this is realistic. :drinker:
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don't eliminate food groups, all that does for me is make me feel deprived and i end up on a binge.

Weight loss is calories in vs calories out.

MODERATION.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Me, I'm steadily losing 1-2 pounds a week. It's about a healthy BALANCED diet, I've tried lots of different fad diets in the past an none of them work long term for me. I believe we need a bit of every food group in our diet so I refuse to cut anything out completely.
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have lost what is on the tracker plus 5lb in the week before joining MFP.
    I have not eliminated ANY food groups. I watch my saturated fat levels and don't eat food high in saturated fats. I do this for heart health only.
    I watch my calories and that is all.
    I still to my calorie allowance of around 1250 every day. If I want a bar of chocolate then I will have a bar, I just make sure that I am in my calorie allowance for the day.

I really believe, having tried virtually every diet under the sun, that it is about moderation in everything. If you cut groups of food out completely (unless it is for actual health reasons such as allergies) that you will find it too hard to sustain in the long haul. I personally cannot imagine a life without ever having a slice of bread or an occassional latte or a bag of crisps here and there.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Limiting carbs is what works for me. Not "no carb", but I have eliminated certain carb-heavy foods that I know trigger me (and I'd guess you to) to overeat. These include regular bread, pasta, rice, white potato, and desserts. It is not a gimmick. I plan to stay with this way of eating forever. I do eat carbs - salads, green veggies, some fruits, and lower carb wraps. I love the foods I eat so much that I don't even miss the foods I don't. And I don't have to log into MFP every day to check that I'm not overeating - my body already knows.

Those that eat low carb as a short-term diet are doomed to the same fate as others. Once they go off the diet and return to eating "normal", they will regain their weight. And those that think low-carb means no-carb will get sick and create serious health problems for themselves.

Everyone has to find the diet that works for them. You need to find a way of eating where you like the food, you maintain your energy level, and very importantly one that fills you up without eating too many calories. Only then do you have a maintainable way of eating that will sustain you for the long term.

Excellent post Brian. I think to set targets for each macro consistent with our goals and stay consistently on them is a winning strategy. You have found trigger foods for you and I am pretty similar to you. You haven't eliminated a food group. You manage that food group and that is the intelligent and judicious path IMHO. My carb intake is dependent on my workout schedule. More carb burning through strength training or cardio, more carb intake and vice versa. But all within a planned range. Same with fats and balancing the fat mix. Unlike what has been propagated for years, saturated fat in not the devil either but again, in reasonable and healthy amounts. You've found what works for you and are working your plan. Great going!!
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    don't see the point! i don't want to deprive myself of something i want :)
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated anything. I certainly eat a lot healthier than I did 18 months ago though but it's been a slow transition. I try to have my carbs about 50%, fat and protein about 25% each. But there are plenty of days where something like 65% of my calories are from carbs.
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I eat anything and everything I want. It's a matter of portion control, and buring off the extra calories you consumed, or plan to consume. I always try to build up a calorie deficit for the weekends. That way I can eat a little extra on Saturday and Sunday, but not end up busted on Monday morning
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Like every one else it's a lifestyle change not a diet. It's all about portion control and because I eat what I want I don't ever feel the need to binge. And I drink more fluids then I used to.