Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• CathEsh
    CathEsh Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted in awhile. Sometimes I wonder if I have time to keep up with this forum, but I DO love it! I am stuck at 22 pounds lost. I know it has much to do with exercise. During the summer, I was an exercise fiend (biking and walking), and weight was dropping nicely. Now that I am back at school (teaching), I haven't found time to exercise regularly and the weight loss has slowed dramatically. I am going to join a fitness center with a pool (tomorrow), and I want to exercise four times per week minimum. Good luck to me! We got a new little puppy three weeks ago, and she has taken a lot of my time, too. She's an Italian Greyhound. No, she will not get very big. Right now, at 3 months old, she weighs 3.5 pounds. The biggest Italian Greyhounds get is 18 pounds, but she is on the small side. Our other dog, a Shih Tzu (Veronica), is finally beginning to tolerate her. We love our dogs! We were walking our dogs at least once a day, but now the weather has turned cold. Luna does not like the cold weather, and neither do I!
  • janak2004
    janak2004 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share:

I know, I know...I've been MIA...AGAIN! I swear I'm coming back and I am determined to check in daily if it kills me! I spent the weekend in Mobile, AL at Bayfest. It's a giant music extravaganza and I had the opportunity to see Loverboy, Journey, Pat Benatar, Willie Nelson, Bush, BuckCherry, Big and Rich, Cowboy Troy, and Randy Houser. I was really sad that I had to miss tonight though because I REALLY wanted to see Luke Bryan. :)

On a slightly different note, I almost got in trouble this weekend while at Bayfest because of stupid teenagers being jerks to my sister. My sister is a bigger girl and even though I am working towards a healthier lifestyle, she has not chosen to follow suit. Given that she is an adult, it is her own choice and so I have no say...but NOBODY has the right to make her feel bad about herself. This group of teenagers walked past us as we were listening to a concert and said, "Holy crap. It's Honey Boo Boo's Mom." I'm the one that heard it and I shot them a dirty look, but didn't say anything. They walked away laughing, but didn't do anything or say anything else. My sister didn't hear it, so I didn't want to upset her with bringing it up. It wasn't until the same group of boys decided to take it to another level did I stand up for her.

Her legs were really swollen, so I let her lay down on the sleeping bag we had brought to sit on. She was on her stomach on top of the bag and the same group of boys walked by again. All of the sudden I hear, "Look at that beached whale! She is probably so drunk that she fell flat on her face. Stupid fat b****." Then he proceeded to take out a cell phone and snap her picture. I was so mad I was seeing red! Nobody has the right to take a picture of ANYONE so that they can make fun of them later. Before I could get up, my boyfriend had already jumped up and crossed the street to them. He got on to the kid and then proceeded to make him delete the picture. I am not sure all of what he said before I got there, but the kid did what he said and then apologized. Needless to say, big sister was still pissed off. I proceeded to ask them how would they feel if it were their mom or sister or friend that it was being done to. That they were sorry excuses for human beings and before they decide to make fun of someone else, they should take a long look in the mirror because I hated to tell them, but they were far from perfect. I wanted to go on, but it just wasn't worth it. I knew I was reacting in the heat of the moment and in the end, those kinds of people aren't going to stop. They will keep feeding on those people who won't stand up for themselves or that nobody else will stand up for. But I feel like I succeeded because they didn't get near us the rest of the night. And maybe next time they go to take a picture of someone else, they will think twice.

So I guess my Sunday Share is that I cannot stand bullying and that it is NEVER okay to make fun of someone. It's fine to have your own opinion, but keep it to yourself. Once it is said, it can never be taken back. And if you post it on facebook or somewhere else, same thing goes! Have a great night everyone.

~ Jana
  • ohpampered1
    ohpampered1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @Monachris- Your granddaughter sounds so sweet. When my daughter was young she use to name her dolls after the person who gave the doll to her, so she would remember. We had a lot of baby girls dolls with the name Bob (My brother) lol

@Jana-it's so sad that people can be so mean and insensitive. I'm glad your boyfriend was there for you both.

Sunday Share: I have been so hungry late at night, I have not given in to late night snacking as of yet. This has really been a challenge for me this week.
  • CelticHippo
    CelticHippo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So I am back again, however just briefly as I have to head out to the gym

@skinnyjeanzbo - thanks for the link to Hey Fat Girl. I have actually bookmarked so I can re-read it.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    @toots -- I just don't know if I could stick to a super-restrictive diet. I could probably manage it for a week or two to see if it made me feel better, but eventually I'm sure I'd slip.
    @Nicole -- What a jolly update! Happy 16!
    @ohpampered -- thinking of you; hang in there.
    @LAMypie -- OK. You know the thing about fitting your own oxygen mask first? You aren't going to be able to do all this help for this woman every day forever; it's too much. So you need to start planning to find someone (or perhaps several someones) who can share the load with you; perhaps one of the lady's relatives, or someone else from church. I bet it wouldn't be a problem if it were just a couple of times a week, right? Perhaps you could ask your pastor for guidance. In the meantime, it sounds like pretty good exercise right there so make sure you count it.
    @Sherrie -- congrats on the size smaller t-shirt!
    @Cath -- most greyhounds are a perfect exercise package right there, right?
    @Jana -- well done for saying what you think. I think too many packs of kids just think they can get away with anything no matter how rude, and nobody will challenge them.

Monday check in -- I have stayed the same this week; I was expecting to gain as I've been up the last few days, but back to level today. My cals have averaged out but I've had a couple of difficult days. That's ok; I'm trusting that I'm sticking to plan and it will all be ok next week.

Doing a workout plan worked pretty well last week, so here's this week's:

Monday -- W3D1 of Ease into 5k
    Tuesday -- dance mat
    Wednesday -- W3D2 of Ease into 5k
    Thursday -- badminton if hubby isn't working, a swim if he is. Depending on how my study is going.
    Friday -- W3D3 of Ease into 5k
    Saturday -- Badminton with the kids early b/c we have a wedding later.
    Sunday -- probable rest day after my brother's wedding, though we will have my nephew staying so may take the lads to the park. Or a bike ride. Something of the sort.

Have a fantastic week everyone!

-- Alison
  • pattynava
    pattynava Posts: 331
    Options
    sorry I have been MIA...No computer at home:grumble: ..Getting fixed, driving me NUTS.:explode: .Had a Fantastic Weekend, will catch up later!
    Bee Healthy, Bee Happy, Bee Blessed:heart: I MISSED you guys!
    patty
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

Monday Check-in~I tried to relax as much as possible over the weekend (they are so few and far between). I did a little bit of shopping but mostly it ended up being a weekend of reflection. I actually didn’t get on the computer much yesterday so didn’t check in – I had kind of a profound moment on my run/walk outside Saturday, which set off some things that have been missing in my life for a very long time. So I spent a lot of time on Saturday and Sunday reflecting on the difficulties I’ve encountered over the last 20 years or so, thinking about how much I’ve changed and what the future may hold – I seem to be headed down a path that has been set before me, only I was too blind to see it before. It’s amazing to see! The best thing is that it is all stuff I’m able to talk to my trainer about, since he’s had moments like that himself. So, for me it was a pretty deep and emotional weekend on many levels. :heart:

@Nicole~I’m so happy that you’re smitten. :love: Enjoy it, you deserve it!

@Jana~So sorry about what those teenagers said and did, glad your BF was there for both you and your sister. Kudos to you for standing up for her as well.

My workout schedule for the week – I need to get ready to run a 5K on New Year’s Day so incorporating some C25K days:

Monday~Cross Trainer
    Tuesday~W1D2 of C25K and weights
    Wednesday~Recovery Day
    Thursday~Training
    Friday~W1D3 of C25K
    Saturday~Elliptical
    Sunday~Training

Have a great day!

Kelley
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Monday Check In: So I had a LONG weekend. It was fun but just so busy! Saturday walked in a parade with my MIL then we went out to lunch (well it was a bunch of us) and then spent almost all day at her house and helped my sister in law get ready for homecoming.
    Sunday I went shopping with a friend (have never done this before) and we shopped from around 11-11:30 until 7:30pm!!!!! I have NEV ER shopped that long EVER. I spent way too much money but got 3 pairs of jeans and 5 new shirts! I NEEDED clothes. As much as I hate buying clothes knowing they will be getting big, I just had to. But 2 of the jeans were 16w and the other was from the regular womans (not plus) and were 14's and all the shirts were XL. I started a size 24 and a 2X shirt!!!!!

And got my daughters halloween costume...she's going as Daphne from Scooby Doo! She looks ADORABLE in it :)

Hope everyone has a wonderful Monday!
    Tina
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Her legs were really swollen, so I let her lay down on the sleeping bag we had brought to sit on. She was on her stomach on top of the bag and the same group of boys walked by again. All of the sudden I hear, "Look at that beached whale! She is probably so drunk that she fell flat on her face. Stupid fat b****." Then he proceeded to take out a cell phone and snap her picture. I was so mad I was seeing red! Nobody has the right to take a picture of ANYONE so that they can make fun of them later. Before I could get up, my boyfriend had already jumped up and crossed the street to them. He got on to the kid and then proceeded to make him delete the picture. I am not sure all of what he said before I got there, but the kid did what he said and then apologized. Needless to say, big sister was still pissed off. I proceeded to ask them how would they feel if it were their mom or sister or friend that it was being done to. That they were sorry excuses for human beings and before they decide to make fun of someone else, they should take a long look in the mirror because I hated to tell them, but they were far from perfect. I wanted to go on, but it just wasn't worth it. I knew I was reacting in the heat of the moment and in the end, those kinds of people aren't going to stop. They will keep feeding on those people who won't stand up for themselves or that nobody else will stand up for. But I feel like I succeeded because they didn't get near us the rest of the night. And maybe next time they go to take a picture of someone else, they will think twice.

That's crazy. It always surprises me to discover that people are that dumb. I always kind of expect everyone to be nice and mature.
    @toots -- I just don't know if I could stick to a super-restrictive diet. I could probably manage it for a week or two to see if it made me feel better, but eventually I'm sure I'd slip.

oh i already have. i guess that it's more of a process than anything.
    And got my daughters halloween costume...she's going as Daphne from Scooby Doo! She looks ADORABLE in it :)

awesome! back when i was thin i used to go as velma all the time. at least three times. fun stuff.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    oh i forgot. i got disqualified from that writing contest i finaled in. apparently my original entry broke the rules by being a few words too long. i read the rules and interpreted them to mean that if the last sentence was over 50 words you were supposed to finish the sentence. apparently that wasn't the case :laugh: but anyway, she said if i was curious it did very, very well in the final voting. so at least there's that lol
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    Monday Check-In: Made it through the 10K. Only a minute slower than the last time I did a 10K almost 6 months ago.

Downside to my Monday Check in is... I missed a meeting for work yesterday night, and my on-campus job is now on the line. I'm kind of freaking out at the moment, because they don't tolerate missing meetings and things, and I need this money to pay for school. I sent an apology email to my boss, but never got a response back. We'll see what happens...
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @tina--congrats on the new clothes and the fun day shopping! I had to read your post 3 times to confirm that you said you've never gone shopping with a friend before. Isn't it amazing how being overweight even impacts our social relationships? I've never loved shopping with friends and I know it's b/c I was always embarrassed about what size I wore. I remember as a teen going shopping with groups of friends and actually taking smaller sized clothes into the dressing room so they wouldn't know my real size. I would say the color didn't look good or the pants were too short as an excuse as to why I wasn't buying them. As I got older and realized I probably wasn't fooling anyone, I became a "solo" shopper--it was just easier than putting on the ruse.

@kelley--sounds like a wonderful weekend of reflection.

@patty--no computer?!?! :noway: I would just die!

@alison--Yes, trust the process--if you stick with it, it will all pan out in the long run.

@celtic--Yes, I love that blog post. Wish I'd had it a year ago when I was feeling like that fat girl. I'm far from thin, but got over my fears of working out in front of others long ago. My experiences running and at the gym reflect that post perfectly, too. The people who I see in the neighborhood who are also running or cycling have always been the friendliest, most encouraging people. I once had a cyclist pass me (as I huffed and puffed at a painfully slow pace)--he smiled and gave me a "great job!"--it meant the world to me.

@ohpampered--I always save some calories for an evening snack. I know it's gonna happen, so I may as well plan for it.

@jana--that's really crappy--sorry you had to experience that with your sister. I'm glad you stood up for her and told those kids off--it may not resonate with them right now, but I bet they will feel badly about their behavior down the road. Teenagers are strange and impulsive creatures, but if we don't tell them why their behavior is wrong, they will never learn. Even if just one of them reflects on your words, you've made a difference.

@cath--congrats on the new addition! My friend has an Italian greyhound--they are such lovely dogs, but I'm way too clumsy for such a delicate little creature.

@robin--sounds like a nice relaxing weekend--did you win at monopoly?

@liz--wow--10 lbs away from that big 100 lb milestone--that's really amazing!!

I know I missed some people, but I will catch you guys next time. :flowerforyou:

I missed Sunday Share--but we don't have many new people, so I don't think there's much to tell anyways.

Monday Check-in:
    We have a 3-day weekend due to Columbus Day today, so I just had fun yesterday. Went for a run in the morning and then met my sister to go shopping. I got a new pair of runners which I desperately needed--I've noticed my right Achilles tendon has been hurting a bit and that's a sure sign my arch support if failing in my running shoes. Got a great pair of Asics at Nordstrom Rack for about $50--much cheaper than the $130 they would have cost at a specialty store.

I also bought a new pair of sunglasses at Off 5th. I don't spend big bucks on much. Yes, I once spent over $100 on a pair of jeans, and occasionally I'll buy a pair of designer shoes (at an outlet, but still expensive), but for the most part, I'm pretty practical with my spending. Having said that, I do believe in buying good, expensive sunglasses. They fit better; they protect my eyes better, and if I spend a lot I will be much more careful not to lose/break them. My previous pair are Michael Kors that I bought for about $80 8 or 9 years ago. I've noticed recently that they were starting to get scratched up, so had thought about replacing them. Off 5th (Saks 5th Ave outlet) had a whole wall of designer sunglasses, so my sister helped me pick out a pair of Coach for about $70. Then my sister paid for half as my b-day present, so that worked out nicely.

After shopping we went to PF Chang's and split some appetizers, then I met a friend out for drinks. Had some really tasty Vander Mill Cider--it's called Totally Roasted and has kind of a cinnamon/pumpkin flavor. So delicious! I stayed under calories, but since I don't know the carb totals for the cider, I'm not sure if I went over in that category. :ohwell:

Today it's back to the grind. Doing laundry and need to go to the grocer to get some stuff for my lunch for the week. Remember when I bought all of those shiritaki noodles? Yeah, I forgot about them too.:embarassed: Realized they will be invaluable as I try to limit my carbs this month.

May try to get some more grading done--or at least some reading.

Grading goals:
    1.26/26 AP test corrections
    2. x/ 10 quiz extra-credit
    3. x/22 two paragraph responses
    4. finish re-reading The Awakening
    5. 22/22 Punctuation quizzes
    6. re-read Montana 1948

Exercise plan:
    Mon--walk dog + gym
    Tues--walk dog + core
    Wed--long run outside
    Thurs--walk dog + core
    Fri--walk dog
    Sat--walk dog + gym or long run outside
    Sun--walk dog + gym or long run outside
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Naceto - sounds like you're in a lovely place emotionally. So happy for you!

Grandmakaye - please don't worry too much about surgery weight. With all the IV's during my surgery I put on 9 lbs, but it came off in 3 weeks and I was back to my pre-surgery weight. Also remember to eat more protein after surgery to help heal those muscles that have been cut or shoved around and need to heal. I'm praying for you!

Monarchis - Love you too! Your grandaughter sounds too sweet for words!

CathEsh - you won't be stuck at your current weight for long walking your new puppy - what did you name her/him? I can just picture the little squirm-meister right now, so cute.

Jana - interesting bullying story - and good reaction on you and your boyfriend's response! I'm impressed he caught the little weasels and talked to them. THat lesson will stay with them a lifetime.

Kah - glad you had such a deep and reflective weekend. We all need that in our lives. Glad you have a trainer who is empathetic and whom you can talk with about the deep stuff. Hope whatever struck you stays with you.

Tina - I'm so glad you got new clothes. I thnk its the boost you needed. Nothing better than LOOKING GOOD!

Toots - sorry your not in the writing contest any more. Darn it! That's a shame -especially to be complimented on your work as they reject you too!

2S-1R - praying your job is safe.....................

Skinny - I lost at Monopoly - which I always do - I'm not good at number, money OR strategy, whereas my bud is dynamite when it comes to games, but I like the challenge anyway ............
    Say, glad to here you like shopping at discount outlets - love a great bargain and I do believe that quality goods do last longer although I go against that argument when it comes to reading glasses. I buy readers at a cheap grocery store for $4.00 and buy lots of pairs as I'm always losing them. I have them all over my house, in my purse, at my buds house. I found if I paid $25 for Foster Grant readers, I lost them as easily - or sat on them and broke them as well. But for sunglasses its ONE expensive pair, wraparound, in a protective case, lasting forever.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    I finally got my measurements taken - UGH! I do see some slight change since I took them in January, but not much. Lets hope October is a good month.

Neck: 14-1/4
    Chest: 45-3/4
    Waist: 43-1/2
    Hips: 50
    Lt THigh: 24 (Wah, what I want my waist line to be)
    Lt.calf: 16
    Lt. Bicep: 15-1/4

Obviously I am all hips. I need to buy a pair of jeans and am determined to get out and buy a pair. I have a pair of 22's that just slide off me, and a pair of 20's that fit like 2nd skin. I need to find a more forgiving pair of 20's !

I also have an appt. with my doctor about my arms tomorrow. I think I see an MRI in my future as they are not improved in the slightest and pain hovers around 7 in the evenings and early mornings. I have been reading and I think its a brachial plexus injury. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm pretty astute about these things. We shall see.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Monday checkin ...
    OK, I have to start doing my measuring of self. Something to keep in mind.
    It's really difficult to be so conscious of everything I eat. Sometimes I wish I could just be mindless again.
    Even though I know it's better to eat mindfully.
    I was playing a LOT with my decisions last week, and my body, I know, is paying for it.
    So ... now I am trying to let go of all the resentment and work on things right.
    The biggest thing I'm dealing with right now is HUNGER - taking the 20 minutes after a meal to see if I am truly hungry, or if I'm just bored and munchy, or looking to feed the sugar addiction.
    Still tough, but becoming more mindful by the day.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Monday check in...

I'm looking through my food tracker and realize I need to start planning my day's food intake ahead of time. It's so easy to go over MFP's recommended calories while not feeling like I'm eating too much. Heck, my stomach is sometimes growling at bedtime. But the numbers don't lie and with my weight not budging, I need to be as diligent as possible. Time for a new strategy!
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Monday check-in - I'm here. Went to get on the scale, dead battery. Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug. Buzz dangit buzz.

aug
  • monarchris
    monarchris Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon to all my buddies here! Had another surprise this morning with another .5 loss. So for last week the total was 4.5 lbs!!! I almost fell off the scale. I think finishing up the antibiotics is what got the weight to going down again. Can't wait to reach my half-way point which I am praying will be around the 1st of the year. Had a great time at the pumpkin patch with my granddaughter and DIL. Walked all over, watched Madi feed the pygmie goats, swing, climb and slide. I couldn't have done that 6 months ago. I praise God and everyone here on MFP for my success as I don't have the will-power or strength to do this myself. It has only been since surrendering my food to God that I have been able to eat healthy and in moderate portions. I know I am going to be able to do this for life! Rescheduled my doc. appointment from tomorrow to the 19th so I still have a chance to be under 250 by the time I go, a slim chance, but a chance. Tomorrow I am going to start helping make "pillowcase dresses" for little girls in Ethiopia. Can't wait, I am excited I finally have something to contribute to the mission field that I can actually do.

Aug.-had to change my scale battery yesterday.

Robin-praying the doc. can do something to relieve your pain.

To the lady who got the pom. (sorry, can't for the life of me remember who it was) I have a 3 yo pom. named Belle. She is a diva and is laying by my side in my chair. She is yippie but has calmed down a lot since being a puppy although when she sees someone she wants to play with she goes crazy until they do. She is very smart too and you have to spell "walk" and "outside" rather than say the words or she has a fit.

Sorry, that's all I can remember for now. Everyone have a great evening, and take care.

Christine
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @aug--You crack me up!! :laugh:

@sally & maddalen--make sure you're getting enough protein. Everything I've read on the subject suggests that MFP's default is woefully low. I customized mine to 30%, but I'm generally happy if I get at least 90g/day. I find I'm a lot less hungry if I'm consistent with this amount, but if I slip and have a low day, it can take several days of being good again for my body to adjust and my stomach to stop growling.

@robin--I hope you get some answers and an easy treatment plan to fix your arms.

@sunshine--yikes, hope your boss forgives you for missing that meeting! Oh, and congrats again on that 10k.

@toots--sorry you got DQed--that stinks that the rules weren't clear. :grumble: And I can totally see you as Velma!

AFM--had to check in again b/c I'm so excited!! I was feeling kind of lazy this morning and was hemming and hawing about going to the gym. I finally got my butt there and am so glad I did. First of all, I haven't run on the treadmill in ages--I honestly can't remember the last time. The weather has been so great that I've done all of my running outside. I was a little bit nervous that my speed may have suffered. Today, I decided to see if I could still run a 10 minute mile--that's where I left off in my speed work. Well, it wasn't pretty, but I did it! Also, when I weighed in I was FINALLY down below my lowest recorded weight!!!! :bigsmile: Only by a pound, but considering it's been almost 2 months since I've been able to record a loss, I was really happy!!!
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Christine~Great job on your loss this week - you're doing great! :flowerforyou:
    @aug--You crack me up!! :laugh:

@sally & maddalen--make sure you're getting enough protein. Everything I've read on the subject suggests that MFP's default is woefully low. I customized mine to 30%, but I'm generally happy if I get at least 90g/day. I find I'm a lot less hungry if I'm consistent with this amount, but if I slip and have a low day, it can take several days of being good again for my body to adjust and my stomach to stop growling.

@robin--I hope you get some answers and an easy treatment plan to fix your arms.

@sunshine--yikes, hope your boss forgives you for missing that meeting! Oh, and congrats again on that 10k.

@toots--sorry you got DQed--that stinks that the rules weren't clear. :grumble: And I can totally see you as Velma!

AFM--had to check in again b/c I'm so excited!! I was feeling kind of lazy this morning and was hemming and hawing about going to the gym. I finally got my butt there and am so glad I did. First of all, I haven't run on the treadmill in ages--I honestly can't remember the last time. The weather has been so great that I've done all of my running outside. I was a little bit nervous that my speed may have suffered. Today, I decided to see if I could still run a 10 minute mile--that's where I left off in my speed work. Well, it wasn't pretty, but I did it! Also, when I weighed in I was FINALLY down below my lowest recorded weight!!!! :bigsmile: Only by a pound, but considering it's been almost 2 months since I've been able to record a loss, I was really happy!!!

Awesome, Karen!!! :flowerforyou: A 10-minute mile is fantastic!