Is Diet Coke bad for the body?

Options
Is Diet Coke bad for the body? Does it slow down weight loss?

Replies

• ItsTimeDave
    ItsTimeDave Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    the dietician i see says diet coke is ok for weight loss, so i doubt it slows weight loss down, but i have been known to be completely wrong in the past.

:)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

No
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

No

It's fatal if you try to breathe it.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Does it have any man made chemicals in it? Did it come from the ground or used to be alive? Then ya its probably bad for you. Am I purist no...I love Chemicals.

Everyone needs to pound a package of Oreos every once in a while right?

but ya unnatural stuff not good for you. Its kind of easy really....The word unnatural? Ya its UN NATURAL
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Assuming you stay within your calorie limits, it shouldn't slow down weight loss. One problem is that people tend to overeat when they drink it due to the fact that they think they can eat more (which technically you can, but they go overboard and eat a lot more), and that it leaves a lingering sweetness on your tongue that can make you crave more food. But the problem isn't really the product itself.

I don't think it's good for the body, though, just like most artificial sweeteners and refined sugar.
  • erindh87
    Options
    It eats away the enamel on your teeth unfortunately. I still drink it like crazy though!

Edit: spelling
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Fat loss - no
    Weight loss and appearance - yes but only because carbonation can cause bloating in some people and the sodium content can cause temporary water retention which shows up on the scale...
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Phosphoric acid -may- be linked to bone density loss. Aside from that, 'sall good.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Does it have any man made chemicals in it? Did it come from the ground or used to be alive? Then ya its probably bad for you. Am I purist no...I love Chemicals.

but ya unnatural stuff not good for you. Its kind of easy really....The word unnatural? Ya its UN NATURAL
    And you typed this while drinking your whey protein shake...

Stop.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

No

It's fatal if you try to breathe it.

its also uncomfortable if you try to snort it.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article that shows scientific studies done from both sides of the diet soda argument. For me, since its still under debate, I avoid.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-sodas-and-weight-gain-not-so-fast
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Stop.

Pay attention Charles Atlas... I said I'm not a purist at all I'm just answering the question: is it bad for you; Yes... STOP
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Are you sure it didn't used to be alive?:huh:

Beyond your original question a bit... I find when I drink/eat foods with artificial sweeteners I get a craving for simple carbs same as if I'd eaten straight up simple carbs. So for me it's not something I choose to mess with. I'd rather have a cookie than drink diet pop! :smokin:
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Stop.

Pay attention Charles Atlas... I said I'm not a purist at all I'm just answering the question: is it bad for you; Yes... STOP
    How is it bad for you? The class is listening. INB4 pseudo conspiracy theories on how artificial sweeteners are ruining the world.
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's terrible for you. If you drink it, your insides will rust, and eventually, you will implode. Ask the millions of diet coke drinkers on the planet. They'll tell you.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I watched a though provoking video yesterday about artificial sweetners...

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/should-you-give-artificial-sweeteners

He talks about how your body releases insulin, how your brain's addiction centers are activated, but how your body recognizes it is not real sugar and continues to crave more. Possible results are metabilic syndrome, insulin resistance, etc.

Not saying don't drink Diet Coke, I firmly believe everything on moderation. Just gives you something to consider.
  • HondurasBeauty
    HondurasBeauty Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I heard from the health clinic that diet soda is not good for your bones. It causes Osteoperosis!
  • cajungirltx
    cajungirltx Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that it does something to the brain to make you crave sweets.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Forget weight loss, yes it is bad for you it's full of rubbish.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    20 + years of drinking it and I'm not dead yet. If it's killing me, it's not very efficient at it. :drinker: