Pizza: not THAT unhealthy?

Options

Replies

• LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    OK, FOR LUNCH I NOW WANT PIZZA AND NOT MY 3OZ. OF LOW-SODIUM TURKEY WITH A LAUGHING COW WEDGE SPREAD ONTO WHOLE GRAIN BREAD!
  • warsenic
    Options
    THEY GROW THEM IN POO?

Um. I'm afraid to tell you what fertilizers were made from.
    Also, I'm gonna have pizza for dinner. Most definitely.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Every once and a while we'll order from Dominoes. Medium 2 topping pizzas. 2 slices is dinner, then 2 slices for lunch the next 3 days. Maybe with some other veggie to round out the meal (or a yogurt at lunch).

Something like pepper & onion, or maybe black olive and pepperoni.

Back in the day it would be a large pizza with sausage, pepperoni and extra cheese. and it certainly wouldn't be just 2 slices.

Big difference.

Guess which was unhealthy?

Exactly! Though in our family, one large is dinner for all with no leftovers. :frown: We used to buy two larges, plus breadsticks. And once upon a time, I added about a gallon of beer to that calorie count! :laugh:

The thing is my wierdo wife puts MUSHROOMS on her pizza and did you know THEY GROW THEM IN POO?

She doesn't like black olives so this way we can each have our own and 4 meals for 5.99 plus tax and delivery is super cheap. (EACH)

OMG! That's funny because I love mushrooms an hubby like black olives, which I do not. I like onion and green peppers on mine and he does not.

LOL@ grown in poo! Yep, that's my fungi! :laugh:
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pizza and will never stop eating it..EVER!!! lol...but I do make my own, crust and all, and rescently starting making Quinoa pizza bites, so good , healthier and much lower in calories and satisfies my pizza craving! :happy:

IN FACT i am making them tonight!!! :tongue:

and Pizza Hut pizza is disgusting :sick:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Moderation = NOT ME So pizza for me is UNHEALTHY! It is my fitness kryptonite.

This is what a night of pizza looks like for me. Pizza Hut is my favorite. But I should include I have to have bread sticks too. mmm yum!

Pizza Hut (As Per Website) - Meat Lover's Stuffed Crust (Large), 3/8 pizza (1 slice)

Calories 1,500

Carbs 90

Fat 81

Protein 75

Sodium 5,100

Pizza Hut is not real pizza. Just eww! :sick:

Sure taste good to me.

But please define "real pizza" because here where I am from, all pizza is like Pizza Hut, just their's taste the best.

Pizza Hut uses frozen ingredients instead of fresh ones, for starters. Since their sauce isn't simmered from fresh tomatoes, or hell even canned tomatoes, then you can hardly taste the seasonings, ergo, they dump extra salt into it. Their crust is ok, but again, they add too much oil and salt instead of seasonings like oregano and basil.

If you are ever in the Kansas City area, check out Minsky's pizza. They use all fresh ingredients and make their own sauce in the store. you will taste the difference if you can ever get your hands on good pizza. Or if you are in an area that doesn't have a good restaurant, try making your own with fresh ingredients.

I actually used to like Pizza Hut pizza. It wasn't "the best," but I did like the taste. They changed their recipe in the last few years, though, and it's gross now. And the "improvements" Dominoes (which I never loved) made were not. I won't touch either of them, but I do like Papa Johns.

I haven't found a really, truly good local place where I live. There were a few great ones where I grew up and when I lived in Buffalo, but Tallahassee is lacking. There are a few FANTASTIC local pizza places scattered around Florida, but not here. :-(

There is one place that's supposed to be fantastic, but I keep forgetting to go there. But someone told me it's the same as another place, which I've been to and it was good, but not great.

I used to like Pizza Hut and Dominoes both, back when I was young and never tried pizza with fresh ingredients. My mom was an excellent cook, but failed at pizza creation! :tongue:

Pizza is one of the first things that I learned how to cook well. :drinker:
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    I eat about 3/4 of the Digiorno Tuscan chicken flatbread pizza at least once a week - It's less then 600 calories and the macros fit for me!!

I refuse to give up any food I love (chips, pizza, bread, candy)~Been there, done that~got FAT again!! For ME It's about finding a balance!!
  • sammyjo0402
    sammyjo0402 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Lol. Most pizza IS about 3-400 calories.. Of course you can get or make healthier pizza but still... you're right to not eat it all the time.
    (I LOVE pizza so I turn into a raging beast and eat half-whole of a box when it's ordered lol).
    Anyhow, it's good to not feel guilty about it though. What can you do after it's consumed? Nothing. Just exercise and eat better the next day. It's not worth putting yourself through any stress or guilt. After all, food should be enjoyed!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I eat Canadian bacon and green olive pizza every weekend....I do like it that much!
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The Dominos artisan bread pizza is pretty fantastic. The toppings are spinach and feta - I order light sauce and light cheese and it comes in at 150 calories per slice. I was really surprised at how tasty it was.

Burgers can be great too - of course, there are homemade burgers with lean beef and whole grain rolls, versus the McDonald's quarter pounder at 1000 calories and a tablespoon of salt.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Everything is fine in moderation. Next topic, please.

:laugh:

Are burgers bad for you? ( runs away and hides :laugh: )

:tongue:
    Sometimes burgers are really salty and piled high with cheese...LOOK OUT! lol

I make my own from lean beef steak :wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I eat about 3/4 of the Digiorno Tuscan chicken flatbread pizza at least once a week - It's less then 600 calories and the macros fit for me!!

I refuse to give up any food I love (chips, pizza, bread, candy)~Been there, done that~got FAT again!! For ME It's about finding a balance!!

OMG! For frozen pizza, DiGiorno and Freshcetta both make some good pizza. (The Tuscan chicken is good!) This is another reason to never eat Pizza Hut. For half the price, you can pick up a DiGiorno and it tastes a lot better. :bigsmile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

OMG! For frozen pizza, DiGiorno and Freshcetta both make some good pizza. (The Tuscan chicken is good!) This is another reason to never eat Pizza Hut. For half the price, you can pick up a DiGiorno and it tastes a lot better. :bigsmile:

I don't like DiGiorno AT.ALL. But Kashi does a good frozen. Tons of veggies on some of them, too.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I don't like DiGiorno AT.ALL. But Kashi does a good frozen. Tons of veggies on some of them, too.

They don't sell that at our stores, so I haven't tried it. Do they include sausage and pepperoni?
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options

I have tried both DiGiorno and Freshcetta(just the meat/supreme) in the past and weren't real thrilled with it. But, I think I may need to try the Tuscan Chicken Flatbread pizza when I have a craving. Maybe it's better now.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

They don't sell that at our stores, so I haven't tried it. Do they include sausage and pepperoni?

I honestly don't know. I stopped eating meat three years ago, so I don't look for it and so I don't notice it. I know they have some with meat, though, so maybe. Very high in fiber crusts, too. And a good sized pizza. Some frozens are so tiny.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I REALLY like the Newman's Own thin crust pizzas. A whole one is around 800 calories (for the margherita and roasted veggie options) and when I want one, I go run 7 miles-ish, and then go to town. I woulda run the 7 miles anyway. :tongue:
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmm, pizza. My problem with pizza is now I can barely even finish ONE slice, but my brain gets mad at my body because it wants 3. lol

Pizza. Is. AWESOME.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

Not to mention they use frozen crust and drown it in butter. LAME.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I had a whole thin crust pizza from California Pizza Kitchen last night. AND IT WAS DELICIOUS.

I don't do it often, and I balance it with plenty of water, a nice long run and balanced eating otherwise.

Happy Yo_Andi is happy :laugh:
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I wake up to over 100 replies.

D; wtf. Why so many people wanna argue?!