Sugar is not your friend part 2

Options

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Day 4, and doing great. The big test comes on Friday though...grocery day. Eek.

She once told me, "Make your eating decisions at the grocery store."

okay-- so I'm seeing the fatal flaw in this philosophy--

While at the store, I made an eating decision to eat a Reese's peanut butter egg, and a Cadbury crème egg--

what am I missing? :wink:

You are making the same kind of decisions I am this week. I'm blaming PMS.

Plus-- we were out during the dinner hour for Aaron's basketball games-- just got home 30 minutes ago-- took a box of Cheese Its, white cheddar, a bag of Herr's rippled chips and a box of Entenmann's chocolate chip cookies "for the kids."

Far too many ended up in my face-- and hubs is on his way home with pizza.

Help.
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,758 Member
    Options

While at the store, I made an eating decision to eat a Reese's peanut butter egg, and a Cadbury crème egg--

You are making the same kind of decisions I am this week. I'm blaming PMS.

Plus-- we were out during the dinner hour for Aaron's basketball games-- just got home 30 minutes ago-- took a box of Cheese Its, white cheddar, a bag of Herr's rippled chips and a box of Entenmann's chocolate chip cookies "for the kids."

Far too many ended up in my face-- and hubs is on his way home with pizza.

Help.

Those nights are the worst. I have eaten dinner at 3:30 just in hopes I will avoid crapola while I'm out. I know if I go and I haven't eaten, it will be a disaster.

Quite frankly the entire last week has been somewhat of a disaster. I mostly avoided sugar today, I did eat about 8 animal crackers without thinking, but it was better than ice cream for lunch....... :noway:

I have some work to do. I could feel the flab bouncing on my backside when I ran today. Really, truly, the girls at the gym thought I was crazy, but 3 or 4 pounds of non water, but real weight cause I"ve been stuffing my face bounces around and hurts!
  • msfisher
    Options
    Thanks for a great post.

Sugar is most definitely not my friend.

My chemistry is totally addictive to sugar.

I can't do it in moderation at all.

I basically binge every time I eat sugar in any form.

I find that it's not that hard for me to get off of sugar, but then I have a downfall.

Downfalls are triggered by stress.

Holidays, family stuff, work, kids, spouse, health, finances - any and or all in any combination will do it.

When I get stressed, I go back on the sugar and binge.

Usually for weeks or months after the stress has passed.

My new plan is to recover from the stress faster.

Instead of continuing to eat sugar for a long time after the stress goes down, I'm going
    to recover as soon as possible.

Perhaps even before the stress has worn off.

My goal for MFP is to help me be aware of when I'm stress eating (binging).
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

Oh, fine, question a dead lady's philosophical statement. Like she could 'splain it to you. :laugh:

Aha. I think the point is, if you don't have it in the house, you're not gonna eat it. lol
  • Marla64
    Options

Oh, fine, question a dead lady's philosophical statement. Like she could 'splain it to you. :laugh:

Aha. I think the point is, if you don't have it in the house, you're not gonna eat it. lol

Ohhh-- well, you see, chocolate in the house is never a problem. Can someone just have the stores stop selling it, please?

Thank you.
  • richardsrm
    richardsrm Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    :laugh: made it through the day with out a drop:drinker:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

Ohhh-- well, you see, chocolate in the house is never a problem. Can someone just have the stores stop selling it, please?

Thank you.

Wait...it's possible for chocolate to make it all the way from the store to the house? :noway: Without going into my belly? I'm not believing this...:noway:
  • Marla64
    Options

Thank you.

Wait...it's possible for chocolate to make it all the way from the store to the house? :noway: Without going into my belly? I'm not believing this...:noway:

Viv-- it's not even possible for it to make it from the store to my car sometimes--
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,758 Member
    Options
    My week at a glance. Know I need to stop eating crap, mainly the 's' culprit. Tell myself tomorrow is the day I get back on track. Quick eat as much sugar as I can, cause after all, come tomorrow, I'm abstaining. Repeat 6 days in a row. :noway: Ice cream again for lunch today. :ohwell: I was struggling in the AM after breakfast and made it through the shakes and then caved.

I am 100% certain that my belly fat has increased, a lot. In a week. I'm up about 4 pounds, TOM looming, but dude, I have a jelly belly, I can pinch way more than an inch right now.

I need to picture you guys glaring at me, hands on hips, shaking your head NO when I think about the 's' stuff. Tomorrow really has to be the day... it just has to.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help anyone, or not. I mean it to be helpful, so I hope so.

For the last two days I've gone to the beautiful, sunny, glorious beach of Puget Sound with its unbelievable mountains, Bald Eagles, dolphins, sea lions, Osprey, Great Blue Heron, twenty different types of water fowl who's names I don't know - and just the glory of nature in its purest and finest forms. I am truly blessed.

But what has been nagging at me is the yanking backwards of everything I've worked for in the last two or three years, health-wise. I WAS really proud of my fitness and my healthy diet. I WAS really proud of my mental serenity.

A couple things have happened recently. I broke up with a love interest. We weren't together long, so I'm doing okay with that. Some days are better than others.

I got re-involved on myfitnesspal. This is not going as well.

I was so focused on my food before I came back. Uber-focused on NO SUGAR. It had gotten easy. I made the concession to allow myself to relax on a few holidays - not every one, but a few. I mean it when I say that it was easy. It was a part of my life. Who I am.

But when I came back to mfp in December, I got into this sugar thread. I didn't intend to make it a daily event.

This thread is not good for me. I'm sorry. But all the backsliding-talk has made it very difficult for me to maintain my mental attitude. I don't know why it is so much easier for me when I do this myself, without the "group" aspect - but it is easier. I need to pull back from this thread for a while. Those of you who find strength in numbers, go for it.

Carry on and be tough. I do better as a team of One.
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    I don't know if this will help anyone, or not. I mean it to be helpful, so I hope so.

For the last two days I've gone to the beautiful, sunny, glorious beach of Puget Sound with its unbelievable mountains, Bald Eagles, dolphins, sea lions, Osprey, Great Blue Heron, twenty different types of water fowl who's names I don't know - and just the glory of nature in its purest and finest forms. I am truly blessed.

But what has been nagging at me is the yanking backwards of everything I've worked for in the last two or three years, health-wise. I WAS really proud of my fitness and my healthy diet. I WAS really proud of my mental serenity.

A couple things have happened recently. I broke up with a love interest. We weren't together long, so I'm doing okay with that. Some days are better than others.

I was so focused on my food before I came back. Uber-focused on NO SUGAR. It had gotten easy. I made the concession to allow myself to relax on a few holidays - not every one, but a few. I mean it when I say that it was easy. It was a part of my life. Who I am.

But when I came back to mfp in December, I got into this sugar thread. I didn't intend to make it a daily event.

This thread is not good for me. I'm sorry. But all the backsliding-talk has made it very difficult for me to maintain my mental attitude. I don't know why it is so much easier for me when I do this myself, without the "group" aspect - but it is easier. I need to pull back from this thread for a while. Those of you who find strength in numbers, go for it.

I completely get this. Before Christmas, I got involved in this thread, and took it very seriously, but sugar became a bigger obsession than ever, and I went on (literally) a two month binge. I'm glad that happened though, because I really do feel stronger because of it, and take it as a lesson learned.

I debated over whether to participate again, but I feel that with the past 2 months out of the way, and thinking of this as less of a challenge and more of a share and vent thread, that pressure that was there before isn't.

Good luck. :)
    __

Today was a HARD one for me. I was dreading the grocery shopping, and, just as I thought, it was torturous. Several times I picked up some chocolate easter candy, put it down, picked up another, checked the calories, put it down. I ended up getting two Fruit To Go and some gum. I'm pleased with myself, but I still want chocolate. I'm thinking...if I only had one little Icy Square, that would be enough. Suuure it would. It feels like it would, but I know me better than that.

Gotta break the addiction, because I'm very, very tired of being addicted- to anything. Six days with no sweets. It's been a while since I could say that. :)
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not my friend? My mom says I have a total sweet tooth, and I never believed her until recently... I luuuv candy!! And what does my mom buy me on Valentine's Day? A *TRAY* of candy!!! :sick: Ate most of it... My siblings couldn't even believe it. But now I'm out of the house again. I left what little candy was still in the tray, at the house.
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    7 days. I want an Aero.
  • izzypup
    izzypup Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tamarads
    Options

Cheryl.. I'm sorry to see you go, but I understand your decision. Thank you for always being there with advice and tips for helping us lead sugar-free lives. My best to you! :flowerforyou:

Tammy
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    Day 8. I still want an Aero. :tongue:

I'm looking forward to my cereal and banana, but I like to put that off as long as I can so I don't end up craving sugar again before bed.
    __

How's everyone doing? Is the thread dying? Eek. Any newcomers?
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    How's everyone doing? Is the thread dying? Eek. Any newcomers?

I'm updating my signature, when there's nothing special to report. I sipped from a fizzy drink yesterday, but I've given up a cookie (and I :love: those) and a doughnut, so I decided to regard it as a success.
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Btw, Brenda, awesome job! Stay strong - you know you can succeed at this!
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    Thanks Dew. :) The signature updates are a good idea. I might steal that.
  • Raphi
    Raphi Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Julie and I'm a sugarholic :ohwell: :laugh: !
    I've read a few post on this thread and I can see that a lot of members want to banish sugar even in carbs, but for me, if I can just stay away from the white powder, it would be a great improvement...:devil:

My last offense was this weekend when we celebrated my daughter's 4th birthday with a sleep-over in a hotel (pool party). I made her a decadent butter-creamed-iced vanilla and chocolate cake :love: and we bought some chips, candies, full calorie pop, juice, etc, etc... (it was a real party!)
    Aaaand, I went on a sugar binge :embarassed: ...
    I usually stop counting my calories during the weekends to get a break and sneak in a few forbidden foods here and there, but this time, I went overboard:noway: .
    The only high point was that I left the remaining junk in the trash (about half the cake :sad: ) before leaving the room...

As a rule, when I want to lose weight, I eat clean during the week and let loose during the weekend (since I'm a strong believer that if you hold out for too long, you binge); but at 34, I must come to the realization that it doesn't work that way anymore:sad: !

I must admit that I'm just coming out of a spectacular state of denial: for 2 weeks of weekend binging, I haven't lost a pound (surprise, surprise :grumble: ), so I thought hmmm... my muscle mass must be increasing (yeah, I really thought that...) so I measured myself... Not one quarter of an inch gone from my belly :noway: . That's when I moved to the next stage of grieving : :mad: !
    So, I'm gonna replace my cheating week-end by a cheating MEAL... because I'm not ready to give up the stuff completely yet :blushing: And, I'm gonna force myself to log in all the food I eat during the weekends also, even though I get bored, to keep myself conscious about what I put in my body (this system is SO great :love: )
    So will you please help me? :wink: