*** Runners' Team * 50+ and 100+ Miles in October *

Options

Replies

• drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    5.25 miles tonight, beautiful night. 40.25 MTD.
  • henrei
    henrei Posts: 36
    Options
    Some of you are such inspirations. I do my 6 miles and I am huffing and puffing when I'm done. To think of doing 9 miles makes me break out in hives. I guess I just have to keep going. Question though, for those who run in colder weather, I see the weather changing here in CT, I know I need to get some cold weather clothes to wear, can I find them on amazon? Under armor brand perhaps? Any cheaper ones? I don't have that much money to spare :grumble: Also, any tips in helping a *somewhat* newbie increase her endurance and reduce her time? I've always been a fast walker, didn't like jogging as much. I started picking up my pace in August and I've seen some changes but I still have to take a couple minutes rest after about 3 miles and then jog the last 3 miles without stopping. I want to increase my pace and reduce my time. Tips appreciated. Sorry for the long post :smile:
  • midmomike2
    Options
    6 miles in today, MTD: 24
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Some of you are such inspirations. I do my 6 miles and I am huffing and puffing when I'm done. To think of doing 9 miles makes me break out in hives. I guess I just have to keep going. Question though, for those who run in colder weather, I see the weather changing here in CT, I know I need to get some cold weather clothes to wear, can I find them on amazon? Under armor brand perhaps? Any cheaper ones? I don't have that much money to spare :grumble: Also, any tips in helping a *somewhat* newbie increase her endurance and reduce her time? I've always been a fast walker, didn't like jogging as much. I started picking up my pace in August and I've seen some changes but I still have to take a couple minutes rest after about 3 miles and then jog the last 3 miles without stopping. I want to increase my pace and reduce my time. Tips appreciated. Sorry for the long post :smile:

I get target brand :D for cold weather and layer. For getting faster for a beginner, my opinion is that it is best to slowly build up the weekly mileage and things will fall into place (speed & endurance). You may want to tackle hills to make things more interesting. Also from a personal experience try not to do too much too soon, e.g., increase both distance and work on intensity(hills) at the same time... Otherwise you may injure yourself.
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I live in Saskatchewan and it gets really cold in the winter! Layering is your best bet. I splurged last year and got some fleece lined winter running pants from the running room. I love them, but I think they were 120$.
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    4.6 miles on Monday.
    22.5 total miles.
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    October 1-10
    40 miles .
  • elfpearl
    elfpearl Posts: 191
    Options
    3.5 miles today, 40.1 MTD. :)
  • Cooriander
    Options
    Check.
  • pjcapps
    pjcapps Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oct 08 - rest day
    Oct 09 - 3 miles

Weekly total = 3
    MTD total 16

Oct 10 - planning 2 miles
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    6.5 files today, 90 miles for the month.
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Wednesday - 6.75 miles [furthest amount ever run]
    MTD run - 24.7 Miles

exercise.png
    [/url]
  • bigbeff
    bigbeff Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    sat 3miles
    tues 3.3miles
  • retemirabile
    retemirabile Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Totals for Week 1: 32

Week 2:
    WTD 11

MTD 43
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    36.24 miles - 5:39:58

Wednesday Oct.10, 2012
    4.85 mi 00:46:31

Monday Oct.8, 2012
    3.25 mi 00:34:27

Sunday Oct.7, 2012
    9 mi 01:24:44

Saturday Oct.6, 2012
    6.98 mi 01:01:11

Thursday
    Oct.4, 2012
    2.89 mi 00:27:01

Wednesday
    Oct.3, 2012
    5.57 mi 00:51:40

Monday Oct.1, 2012
    3.7 mi 00:34:24
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    10/10/2012 - 3.2 miles tonight
    WTD- 3.2 miles...unable to get out Monday since it started to rain.
    MTD - 12.8
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options

i would suggest that you gradually increase milage. slow down a little if you need to, but run further. i've found that the more slow miles i log, the faster my body is able to go when i want to pick up the speed on shorter runs. after you build a nice comfortable number of base miles (8-10) you can throw in some hill training and interval training to help increase speed. best wishes!
  • j_courter
    Options
    10/10- 3 miles. took a few days off and it felt great, but i'm back! :glasses: *ready to take on those freezing temps*:grumble:

exercise.png
  • j_courter
    Options
    Wednesday - 6.75 miles [furthest amount ever run]
    MTD run - 24.7 Miles

exercise.png
    [/url]

congratulations on your distance pr! :bigsmile: that's so exciting.
  • Cooriander
    Options
    Check :glasses: