CROCKtober - break out your crock pot recipes for October!

Options

Replies

• Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Bump...so I can look over this later when I'm not about to zonk out. :yawn:
  • bikergirl1022
    Options
    bump---I have no idea what this means...but I want to learn more about cooking with the crockpot.
  • citydwellers72
    Options
    Thanks for the great crock pot ideas. Yum!
  • lorrainzander
    lorrainzander Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Love me a crock pot recipe when fall rolls on in. In fact I just put this in my crockpot today:

Steel Cut Pumpkin Oatmeal:

Use butter spray on inside of crock pot first to prevent sticking

Add Ingredients:

1 cup steel-cut oats
    1 can of 100% pumpkin puree
    2 cups water
    2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or any liquid you prefer)
    2 tbls stevia
    I like it flavorful so I add lots of cinnamon and nutmeg, not really sure how much (sorry).

You can toss in some raisins or cranberries as well and change it up by adding fresh cut peaches or apples. The only problem is overcooking, it does best for me on low for 4-6 hours, with me checking on it every once in a while to see if it needs more liquid. So I just usually make it during the day and then put in individually portioned containers. It also freezes well. Also, it really only works with steel-cut oats, it doesn't seem to hold up with rolled oats.
  • GetFitNicky
    GetFitNicky Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Guinness chicken

6 chicken breasts
    Guinness beer
    Dried Oregano or sage or rosemary (basically an herb you like, or combo)
    Sprinkle of chopped garlic
    Sliced onion
    Small red potatoes or fingerling potatoes (halved in larger sized)
    Generous slices of carrot
    Salt and pepper to taste at serving

Spray crock pot quick with Pam, put a couple onion slices on bottom, lay chicken breasts over top, sprinkle with dried herb of choice, pinch of salt if you must. Start layering over top, or just dump in, the rest of the veggies (feel free to experiment--parsnips? sweet potato?) you know the crockpot rule of at least half full, so eyeball ingredients until cooking ready. Crack that Guinness open and pour to cover. Need a bit more to cover ? Pour a half of another one in and it would be such a shame to waste the rest of a perfectly good Guinness...

Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 6 hours. I usually give it at least one hour on high and then switch over to low.

You can serve as is, or add some cornstarch to liquid and heat again to make a gravy. There are some more much simpler ones online for this too, but I make it a meal and add veggies.
  • Busyboymomx3
    Busyboymomx3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 10 • Size: 1 1/4 cups • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 203.7 • Fat: 1.4 g • Carb: 33.3 g • Fiber: 10.0 g • Protein: 16.9 g

Ingredients:

1 onion, chopped
    1 16-oz can black beans
    1 16-oz can kidney beans
    1 8-oz can tomato sauce
    10 oz package frozen corn kernels
    2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp chili powder

24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
    chili peppers, chopped (optional)

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Directions:

Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low fat cheese and sour cream
  • misstash321
    Options
    bump
  • MsDandimite
    MsDandimite Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump for saving
  • ohDeeDeeBehave
    ohDeeDeeBehave Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato Burritos!

4 sweet potatoes
    1 package of frozen corn
    2 cans of black beans, thoroughly rinsed
    2 jars of salsa
    4 oz of soft cream cheese

Put on slow cooker on high for 6 hours. Delish, vegetarian, and kids love it! Any other vegetarian ideas?

soo stealing this. :-). Trader Joes has a Corn Salsa to die for. gonna use that instead. Thank you!
  • jlsoules
    jlsoules Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff:

2-3 pounds stew meat (or a 3-pound chuck roast, cubed)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 medium yellow onion
    ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 ½ cups beef broth or stock
    1 tablespoon ketchup
    1/3 cup flour
    6-7 tablespoons water
    2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
    1/2 cup light or regular sour cream

Place the stew meat, salt, pepper and onion in the slow cooker. Stir to distribute the seasonings and onion. In a small bowl, combine the garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth and ketchup. Pour over the meat. Cook for 7-9 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high. About 30 minutes before serving, combine the flour, mustard, and water in a small bowl, whisking vigorously to combine well. The roux should be thick but still pourable so add a tablespoon of water at a time to thin, if needed. Pour the flour mixture into the slow cooker, whisking quickly to mix in the roux with the stew meat and juices and to avoid lumps. Cook on high for 30 minutes. Stir in ½ cup sour cream right before serving. Serve over pasta, rice or baked potatoes (I prefer no-yolk egg noodles!).

(Feel free to add mushrooms - the husband hates them, so I leave them out.)

This sounds so yummy!! Thank you for posting, I'll be trying this very soon!!
  • Tony_Goose
    Tony_Goose Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Totally bookmarked this
  • lobbyart
    lobbyart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump! Always looking for more crockpot ideas! Keep the veggie ideas coming!
  • bearijune
    bearijune Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Houcarmm
    Houcarmm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OK, now I am hungary for soup
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    These recipes sound delicious - saving for later!
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Another great one is...

I take one of those rings that are of presliced ham... and add it with one can of pineapples chucnks, 2-3 granny apple in chunks, and some brown sugar. It's really really good.
  • 4malones
    4malones Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Here's a great recipe for making your own beans for soups, chili or whatever you're into.

Slow-Cooked Pinto Beans

Beans in a slow cooker do take some time, but they require little to no effort during that time. They also provide an inexpensive, nutritious meal. Put them in the pot in the morning, and dinner will be ready when you arrive home from work.

INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6

4 cups dry pinto beans
    1 large onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons salt (adjustable)
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon coriander

The night before making your beans, place the dried beans in a pan and cover them by at least 1 inch with water. Allow to sit overnight.

Put the soaked and drained beans in the slow cooker. Cover with water by about an inch. Stir in the remaining ingredients.

Set to high and cook for 8 hours (depending on your Crockpot). Serve warm.

PER SERVING Calories: 452 | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 792mg | Carbohydrates: 81g | Fiber: 20g | Protein: 28g

Equivalents: For most beans: 1 pound dried beans = 2 cups dried = 4 - 5 cups cooked beans

Beans are low in fat and loaded with nutrients, and we'd probably eat more of them if they weren't also loaded with flatulence-producing enzymes. There are ways to enjoy beans without having to forego social appointments, however. One is to change the water from time to time while you're soaking or cooking the beans. Pouring off the water helps gets rid of the indigestible complex sugars that create gas in your intestine. It also helps to cook the beans thoroughly, until they can be easily mashed with a fork. Most bean aficionados prefer dried beans, but canned beans are also available. These don't need to be cooked, but they tend to be saltier and less flavorful than reconstituted dried beans.

**** I personally do NOT agree on the serving size of this recipe. It says makes 6 servings at 81 carbs per serving. When I eat beans my serving size is about 1/2 c. ****

YMMV but wanted to give the option that you can certainly feel free to change up your serving size. :tongue:

http://www.netplaces.com/food-remedies/psoriasis/quick-budget-recipes-28.htm
  • tateslady07
    tateslady07 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I make this.. you can vary the veggies/seasonings.. then I make stock overnight from the carcass and any veggie bits I have left. (celery, onion, carrot, garlic) The stock is great to have on hand.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/02/25/recipe-the-best-whole-chicken-in-a-crock-pot/

The Best Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot
    Ingredients

2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon thyme
    ½ teaspoon garlic powder
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne (red) pepper
    ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    1 onion
    1 large chicken

Directions

Combine the dried spices in a small bowl.
    Loosely chop the onion and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
    Remove any giblets from the chicken and then rub the spice mixture all over. You can even put some of the spices inside the cavity and under the skin covering the breasts.
    Put prepared chicken on top of the onions in the slow cooker, cover it, and turn it on to high. There is no need to add any liquid.
    Cook for 4 – 5 hours (for a 3 or 4 pound chicken) or until the chicken is falling off the bone. Don’t forget to make your homemade stock with the leftover bones!

Overnight Chicken Stock in the Crock Pot
    Ingredients

Leftover chicken bones or carcass roughly equivalent to one small or medium sized chicken
    1 onion, peeled and loosely chopped
    1 rib of celery, roughly chopped
    1 carrot, roughly chopped (no need to peel)
    1 bay leaf
    1 sprig fresh parsley
    1 sprig fresh thyme
    Salt, to taste
    Note: If you are missing any of these ingredients I wouldn’t let that stop you from making it anyway.

Stock Directions

After removing all edible meat from the chicken put/leave the bones, skin, cooking juices, etc. in the crock pot. If you are using the chicken carcass from the “The Best Whole Chicken in the Crock Pot” recipe just leave every single thing that’s leftover (except the good meat of course) in the crock pot including the original onion and spices you used when making the chicken.
    Add the onion, celery, carrot and spices on top of the bones and fill the crock pot almost to the top with tap water (leaving about 1/2” at the top).
    Turn the slow cooker onto “low” after dinner and cook all night long or alternatively you could start it in the morning and cook on “low” for 8 – 10 hours during the day.
    After the stock is done cooking turn off the heat and, using a soup ladle, pass the stock through a fine sieve to remove all herbs/bones/etc. Either refrigerate or freeze the stock for future use. I usually freeze some in both 1 and 2-cup portions, and I also sometimes freeze stock in ice cube trays just in case I just “need a little” for making sauce or rice.
    This stock is great in soups like chicken noodle soup and also in rice like risotto. Enjoy!

Wow, thanks so much for this one!!:drinker: