Creamers are killing me!! Substitute??

Options
1235»

Replies

• lmdee73
    lmdee73 Posts: 36
    Options
    My wife uses vanilla flavored protein powder. She mixes up some with water and then adds it like a creamer. Dont just add the powder to the coffee or might curdle.

Hmm....didn't think about doing this. Great idea!
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My sister absolutely adores the Fat Free 1/2 and 1/2's on the market. Might like to try them? :smile:
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I weaned myself to black. Then I found Maxwell house makes coffee grounds infused with flavors of vanilla and hazelnut. So I get a bit of flavor in my black coffee without any calories!
  • spetonic
    Options
    I was surprised to see how many calories I was consuming from the "fat free" creamer. I think I had it in my mind if it's fat free has to be ok, never took in consideration the amounts. I really love my creamers, but had to cut back immensely. I've been cutting back now for two weeks and carefully logging in every day into myfitnesspal app on my phone so it keeps it real for me. I measure out one tablespoon of creamer, and one splenda. It took a while to get used to, but it seems to be ok. I also tried the almond milk, but I like the 1 tbsp of creamer better, makes me feel like I'm still getting my sweet lol
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    the junk in fat free and sugar free substitutes to me is much much worse than the 30 calories or so in a TBS or real half and half. It just isn't worth the extra chemicals to save a few calories.

10oz coffee, 2TBS of half and half, 2tsp of raw sugar = 75 calories of lovely morning happiness and no frankenchemicals
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    I just use regular half and half because as far as I'm concerned all substitutes are disgusting (with the exception of making a full on latte or cappuccino. thinner milk or milk substitutes work in those proportions.) But then I limit myself one coffee per day, so the 50 or so calories I get from that shot of cream aren't making a huge impact. I savour my proper morning cup with cream and honey, and if I want more caffeine later I'll drink plain green or oolong tea.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Ugh - my flavored creamer use is out of control!! Uses quite a bit of daily calories. Any substitutes out there?? Powders better???

I use a unflavored powdered creamer (10 calories a teaspoon), 1/2 teaspoon of sugar (about 8 calories) and a wee bit of almond extract (zero cals). Makes my morning coffee is about 50 to 60 calories. And I only drink 2 cups a day so it easily fits into my calorie goals:drinker:
  • Lizaj54
    Options
    I really love the taste of butter and cream, so I would probably try to cut my fat in another area, perhaps figure out exactly how much half n half I am consuming. It's interesting that the flavored creamers have just as many calories or more than half n half. I like the idea of slowly cutting down on the amount of half n half. I must try that!
  • EmpathyBot
    EmpathyBot Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Add cinnamon to your coffee for a little extra flavor, too.
    Sometimes I'll put cinnamon right in the grounds while the coffee is brewing.

Thats exactly what I do.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    the junk in fat free and sugar free substitutes to me is much much worse than the 30 calories or so in a TBS or real half and half. It just isn't worth the extra chemicals to save a few calories.

10oz coffee, 2TBS of half and half, 2tsp of raw sugar = 75 calories of lovely morning happiness and no frankenchemicals

^ Nice, some sanity amongst the craziness. Yes, I choose FOOD over non-food. Thanks.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Is creamer just like pouring cream for coffee?

I use long life carton skimmed milk for coffee
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    try half a package of hot cocoa
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Land o Lakes has a light creamer.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Add cinnamon to your coffee for a little extra flavor, too.
    Sometimes I'll put cinnamon right in the grounds while the coffee is brewing.

This...and slowly switch from creamer to some kind of milk and then lessen amount needed. Powdered cream is cr@p and I would rather drink coffee black than with powder....JMHO
  • Snail313
    Snail313 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    milk
  • Elizabeethan
    Elizabeethan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I buy the fat free coffeemate creamers. I know the cals and sugar are high, but I too am having difficulty finding a replacement. Fake sugars, including those that come from plants just aren't good for you. I have found switching to fat free milk and one tsp of sugar is less cal's and sugar than using the coffeemate. I only do it occasionally though as I am addicted the coffeemate. :)
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds bizarre but add vanilla protein powder. It will taste just like a latte from Starbucks!