Paleo diet, crazy or worth it?

Options

Replies

• amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Why are you considering putting your family on a diet that Wikipedia which you pointed us to says the following:

"2012 survey, where the diet placed 24th out of 24, stating that their experts "took issue with the diet on every measure".[24] However, one expert involved in the ranking stated that a "true Paleo diet might be a great option: very lean, pure meats, lots of wild plants. The modern approximations… are far from it."[24] He quickly added that "duplicating such a regimen in modern times would be difficult."[24]"

It might be healthy to eat that way, but we cannot replicate it in today's world.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Eat good, clean, non-processed foods and exercise. I don't see the problem.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

It might be healthy to eat that way, but we cannot replicate it in today's world.

Now I do think that that is a load of nonsense. How is it not possible to replicate eating lean meat and lots of veg.....Maybe it isnt possible for EVERYONE, but no-one is suggesting impoverished nations suddenly turn to paleo.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    How about a challenge? Try it for 30 days and then report any criticisms you may have. :)

How about I'm not giving up peanuts! (And no, I wouldn't eat them raw any more than I would eat a raw kidney bean or a raw chicken breast.)

You must have missed my post on page one of the thread. I refuse to live in misery for a month just to prove a point. It's not worth it.
  • amy1612
    Options

How about I'm not giving up peanuts! (And no, I wouldn't eat them raw any more than I would eat a raw kidney bean or a raw chicken breast.)

You must have missed my post on page one of the thread. I refuse to live in misery for a month just to prove a point. It's not worth it.

This is the only thing that I usually take issue with, people saying it would make them miserable.....what do you mean it would make you miserable? (genuine question, not being snarky)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Eat good, clean, non-processed foods and exercise. I don't see the problem.

With this I can agree, provided that by "non-processed" you actually mean "not processed in a food factory." If I grow a plant in my yard, then eat from it (*after* roasting), is that processed?

If you are talking about an entirely raw food diet, then no. I definitely won't go that route. I like chicken and roasted nuts *way* too much.
  • kjjbean
    kjjbean Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Why are you considering putting your family on a diet that Wikipedia which you pointed us to says the following:

"2012 survey, where the diet placed 24th out of 24, stating that their experts "took issue with the diet on every measure".[24] However, one expert involved in the ranking stated that a "true Paleo diet might be a great option: very lean, pure meats, lots of wild plants. The modern approximations… are far from it."[24] He quickly added that "duplicating such a regimen in modern times would be difficult."[24]"

Healthy eating can always be replicated, it takes commitment.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    How about a challenge? Try it for 30 days and then report any criticisms you may have. :)

Nobody is arguing that Paelo isn't better than eating crap all day like most people do. The point the critics are making is that my diet isn't any less healthy because I ate some corn and had a glass of milk.

^^ This. Exactly.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    My sister in law and her husband started on this diet. She has lost a lot of weight in the month she has been on it. I personally don’t think it’s good to go on a diet. I believe diets are to short term. I believe it’s better to change your outlook on food and listen to your body. I don’t think fad diets work in the long run.

It isn't a diet. It is a lifestyle. One that will completely change your life and how you look at everything.
  • kjjbean
    Options

Nobody is arguing that Paelo isn't better than eating crap all day like most people do. The point the critics are making is that my diet isn't any less healthy because I ate some corn and had a glass of milk.

^^ This. Exactly.

Really? You knocked Paleo without anything to back it up. I dont recall anyone knocking anyone elses diet. I read people pointing out the attributes of of Paleo.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Only benefit i can see for someone with no knowledge of nutrition would be increasing protein and fat consumption, which will help with keeping muscle and giving you a better hormonal profile. But if you understand nutrition its useless.

The basics of physiology are still the basics. Any diet that has a "name" is usually about 10% science and 90% ideology. IMO, the human capacity for auto suggestion goes into hyperdrive when it comes to anything about diets.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    expensive, but worth it if you have the money and the time to cook

I don't understand how and why people think it is so expensive.

I spend far less on groceries now than I previously did.
  • amy1612
    Options
    expensive, but worth it if you have the money and the time to cook

I don't understand how and why people think it is so expensive.

I spend far less on groceries now than I previously did.

Me too, veg and meat is cheap. I go to a local halal butcher in my world foods centre and the meat is amazing and cheap.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

^^ This. Exactly.

Really? You knocked Paleo without anything to back it up. I dont recall anyone knocking anyone elses diet. I read people pointing out the attributes of of Paleo.

Shhhhh.

Some people just can't *imagine* living a life without [_____] (fill in blank with food you can't imagine living without). It would make life unbearable, perhaps even not worth living. The very thought of living without [______] for any amount of time is ridiculous.

Entirely coincidentally (and in *no* way is it comparable), ~20 years ago, I said similar things about cigarettes.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's crazy for some people. Crazy for me, because I'm not giving up cheese or booze.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

^^ This. Exactly.

Paleo excludes certain foods, which little other justification other than our ancestors didn't eat these foods.

The burden of proof lies with the individual making the claim. I don't have to justify eating a nutrient dense, non-processed, satiating, starchy vegetable like white potatoes as a carb source. But if you're going to assert that eating potatoes is harming me in some fashion, you're going to need to point to evidence stronger than a cartoon named "Grok."
  • kjjbean
    Options

^^ This. Exactly.

Paleo excludes certain foods, which little other justification other than our ancestors didn't eat these foods.

The burden of proof lies with the individual making the claim. I don't have to justify eating a nutrient dense, non-processed, satiating, starchy vegetable like white potatoes as a carb source. But if you're going to assert that eating potatoes is harming me in some fashion, you're going to need to point to evidence stronger than a cartoon named "Grok."

No one asked you to justify anything and no assertions were made. The OP asked if Paleo was worth it and people posted personal experiences. I have no clue when this became about you, I must have missed that post.

ETA - All diets exclude certain foods :/
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I still eat white rice, white potatoes, and even an occasional corn tortilla but still consider myself as fairly strictly following a "paleo diet". To me, these foods are on the "occasionally/rarely" list. (Actually, I don't see any problems with rice and potatoes more often.) However, if I start having issues that may be linked to eating certain foods, I would definitely look to these foods first (and then to the potential high-allergen foods). I somewhat arbitrarily put other foods like wheat on the "never" list (even though I don't know that I have any medical reason for it).

Oh, and since adopting this diet/lifestyle, I feel better than I have in at least a decade. Coincidence? Maybe...but maybe not. I used not to be able to imagine a life without [bread], but having broken free from my *strong feelings about it*, I no longer feel the same way about it.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't do Paleo, but I'm pretty sure it's not a "fad diet".
    My sister in law and her husband started on this diet. She has lost a lot of weight in the month she has been on it. I personally don’t think it’s good to go on a diet. I believe diets are to short term. I believe it’s better to change your outlook on food and listen to your body. I don’t think fad diets work in the long run.

I pretty sure that the term "fad" describes it appropriately. It's the latest thing in dieting and will not stand the test of time. It's much better than some of these silly single-food diets and such, but indeed, it is a fad.

A natural diet based on animals and plants "didn't stand the test of time". Really? You win the award for the most brilliant comment ever. :noway:
  • tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been strict paleo for a good 6+ months now. The beginning was the toughest. Learning how to cook foods differently, read labels like crazy and meal plans that I could actually stick to. It took me about a month to finally get the hang of it and I could NOT be happier. I've lost over 40 pounds, never felt healthier, happier or more, for lack of a better description, alive.

I have epilepsy and have not had a seizure since the beginning of this lifestyle change. I can't say with absolute certainty that there is a direct correlation between going paleo and my seizures, but I'm fairly certain that there is something to be said with it. My fiance has rheumatoid arthritis (and he's only 24) and no longer feels the extreme pain associated with it.

I wouldn't call this a "fad diet", it's a lifestyle change. I couldn't be happier with the decision we made to have our household strict paleo.

THIS.

Do your research. Read the science. The greatest proof is personal testimony.

I have had atopic allergies my whole life, not to mention a genetic predisposition to autoimmune disorders (which several relatives have died from) and this way of fueling has completely changed my health, from the inside out.

For centuries humans lived without the domestication of cows, or industrialization of grains. This isn't a "new" way of eating -- that's just pure marketing. It's a return to the original form of ergogenic eating. It's seasonal by nature, whole foods based, and completely healthier than the SAD (Standard American Diet).

Proof is in the pudding. Pudding being hormonal balance, weight loss, deeper sleep, increased energy, healthier skin, better performance, stable moods -- need I say more?).