Calories in Lip Gloss/Chap Stick???

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Kissing must be fattening now. Luckily I am an engineer and that doesn't happen very often. ;-}

Me too. Perhaps we need an "engineers need love too" group. ;-)
    Beeswax-only chapstick to keep obesity at bay.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I think your biggest danger would be from the Burt's Bees chapstick. It's made form beeswax which will still have traces of honey in it. Honey being sugar will cause an insulin spike and cause your body to hold onto its fat. Even though the quantity is low it is being introduced into your system transdermally so it's an instant shot of sugar to your bloodstream rather than a slower absorption through your digestive tract.

Gaah!!! Jeez, I hope that's not true! But it does seem logical....

Make sure you do not apply any after 9pm at night - it will turn immediately into fat and make your muscles drop off!

OK, Now I can tell you're just making fun of me. That's not nice. I'm really struggling to make all the right choices on this journey, and I don't need negative nancies teasing me for trying to think outside the box!

It took you this many threads to see he was picking on you? I am not even reading the rest of this thread because no one seem to be being honest with you.
    Here is some honesty for you I have lost 50 lbs and have never once pondered the calories in my cosmetics as I do not sit there and munch on them as snacks. Now if I were stranded in the Andes with a group of people and had to survive I would probably go for the lip balm prior to human flesh and then would have to log my lip balm calories.....
  • WittneeT29
    WittneeT29 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Something in this thread rings very true of Poe's Law...

It is actually a sadly believable line of question and answers. Hilarious!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I think your biggest danger would be from the Burt's Bees chapstick. It's made form beeswax which will still have traces of honey in it. Honey being sugar will cause an insulin spike and cause your body to hold onto its fat. Even though the quantity is low it is being introduced into your system transdermally so it's an instant shot of sugar to your bloodstream rather than a slower absorption through your digestive tract.

This is just so...I don't even...

The possible minute traces of honey will not cause an "insulin spike" (by which I assume you mean blood sugar spike) OR cause you to "hold on to fat." In an average, nondiabetic person, the amount of sugar associated in a dangerous blood sugar spike is so ridiculously high, you would have to really, REALLY try to do so from some chapstick.

Perhaps I have missed any sarcasm in your post. I truly hope so. If I did, I apologize. :flowerforyou:

I don't know where you're getting your information but you couldn't be more wrong. That all might be true from oral ingestion of sugars but in this case we are dealing with transdermal ingestion. Do the research. FACT: Transdermal ingestion is a direct tap into the blood stream. FACT: When sugar is transmitted directly to the blood stream it hits all at once rather than being eased in through the digestive tract. This exponentially increases the effect of the sugar on the endocrine system creating an insulin spike resulting in fat storage. The only faster method would be direct application through a mucous membrane - this making application to the "other lips" even worse.

Right, it does get there must faster, you are correct, and as such would be stronger. I never denied any of that. What, exactly, did I say that was wrong? A blood sugar spike will in turn cause an insulin spike, which DOES hold on to fat, but in no way will the miniscule amount of glucose in chapstick cause a blood sugar spike. Unless of course I'm forgetting about all the cases of DKA and diabetic coma caused by someone just using too much Burt's Bees...oh wait. :flowerforyou:

You're totally missing the obvious differences. Did you not see that I stated that these were FACTs? Please do the research before you come here and embarrass yourself.

It's Science, yo.

vLYLQ.gif
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    I must note that this thread made me binge on chapstick today. How can I control my emotional chapstick application? I must have gone through a case and a half of the cherry flavor. Why can't I just do this?!?! I need more like-minded friends for help and support, please! Oh and if you like strawberry chapstick over cherry chapstick then you can go straight to hell.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    Ohmygod! THAT'S why I've been plateauing! Lately my lips have been chapped because of the changing weather and I've noticed that each and every time I globbed some carmex on, I was always later inadvertently licking it off! Good call, OP---and take THAT, weight loss!
  • ethansmug
    ethansmug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    All these years I have been reverse-ingesting toilet paper, I have no idea how many calories have gone unaccounted for =(
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I must note that this thread made me binge on chapstick today. How can I control my emotional chapstick application? I must have gone through a case and a half of the cherry flavor. Why can't I just do this?!?! I need more like-minded friends for help and support, please! Oh and if you like strawberry chapstick over cherry chapstick then you can go straight to hell.
    I agree. This could've used a trigger warning for us Chapstick bingers.
    But seriously, I will fight you in the name of strawberry Chapstick.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Gallon is a liquid measurement silly! You can't eat chapstick by the gallon!
    [/quote]

You can if you melt it...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Make sure you do not apply any after 9pm at night - it will turn immediately into fat and make your muscles drop off!

OK, Now I can tell you're just making fun of me. That's not nice. I'm really struggling to make all the right choices on this journey, and I don't need negative nancies teasing me for trying to think outside the box!

It took you this many threads to see he was picking on you? I am not even reading the rest of this thread because no one seem to be being honest with you.
    Here is some honesty for you I have lost 50 lbs and have never once pondered the calories in my cosmetics as I do not sit there and munch on them as snacks. Now if I were stranded in the Andes with a group of people and had to survive I would probably go for the lip balm prior to human flesh and then would have to log my lip balm calories.....

:sad: :sad: I am a she....not a he. Must be that heavy lifting turning me into a linebacker.......wait....I think there is a thread about that......brb
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I'm sorry. I was hopelessly ignorant of this condition. I will be more sensitive to chapstick triggers in future posts.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

Bring it! Cherry chapstick has less calories than strawberry chapstick anyway. So there!
  • stephdesiree1029
    Options
    All these years I have been reverse-ingesting toilet paper, I have no idea how many calories have gone unaccounted for =(
    Amazeballs.
  • nadinab
    nadinab Posts: 124 Member
    Options

LMFAO. Oh - some of these posts really lift my mood!
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Something in this thread rings very true of Poe's Law...

It is actually a sadly believable line of question and answers. Hilarious!

^^ This! Still not 100% sure if I'm laughing at or laughing with some of the posters.
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just realized something- how many extra calories a day am I ingesting in lip gloss/chap stick?

According to a 2002 Glamour magazine article, women inadvertently consume ~4lbs of lipstick in a lifetime!!!!

I don't wear much actual lipstick, but I use a lot of chap stick- primarily Burt's Bees or Yes to Carrots brands, which are made of Coconut oil and Beeswax. Beeswax, as far as I know is indigestible, but coconut oil is 9cal/g saturated fat!!!

Have I been sabotaging my diet efforts in the quest for kissable lips?

Oh my gosh...between this and my yoga pants-I'M SCREWED!! gah!!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I just realized something- how many extra calories a day am I ingesting in lip gloss/chap stick?

According to a 2002 Glamour magazine article, women inadvertently consume ~4lbs of lipstick in a lifetime!!!!

I don't wear much actual lipstick, but I use a lot of chap stick- primarily Burt's Bees or Yes to Carrots brands, which are made of Coconut oil and Beeswax. Beeswax, as far as I know is indigestible, but coconut oil is 9cal/g saturated fat!!!

Have I been sabotaging my diet efforts in the quest for kissable lips?

Oh my gosh...between this and my yoga pants-I'M SCREWED!! gah!!

:laugh:
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I read a study somewhere that says one of the main ingredients in chapstick is cellulite.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    this thread is awesome. i love mfp.

i would stop using chapstick. also, i would be careful when you are eating out in restaurants, bring your own silverware because if not properly cleaned calories from the previous diner's meal will remain on the utensil and you will absorb them.

no offense to the OP i just think i'm funny

Oh crap, now I have to worry about that, too?! I think I'll just go kill myself now.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Thank you for your honesty. I needed that. Whew!
    Remind me to bring a large supply of chapstick next time we go hiking together.