Spreadsheet for BMR/TDEE Deficit, Macro calcs, HRM zones

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    omg I'm so frustrated lol. I look at that spreadsheet and cannot tell you the amount of overwhelm I get....sorry, you've put so much work into it and if one understood just how to use it I know it would be invaluable! I have no idea what those numbers would be telling me. I've put in stats but what next? I do have a HRM a Polar ft4 just to record burn when fitbit doesn't.

I am doing HIIT for fat loss. I was initially lifting 3 days a week no more, but after weeks of no change in body-fat or measurements it was suggested I try adding 2 days of HIIT to non lifting days, which I did, again NO change. I would love to go back to just 3 days as this isn't my favorite thing to be doing but I'm committed to this lifestyle change. But after months of all this hard work in diet and working out to have no change is really hard.

Anything you might add to this would be so appreciated. Thank you!

Stop doing the HIIT, only walk on rest days.

Make the lifting heavier now for 60 min x 3 days, to failure on last rep of last set.

Use the Spreadsheet BMR/TDEE tab.
    Fill in all your stats in upper section. Easy.

Read the line about TDEE and what it means if you don't know (notice it says to use just 1). Use the TDEE 1A Activity Level Calculator.
    Enter the info it asks for, for whatever applies.
    There is your estimated TDEE value.

Go to the big bolded section further down for Deficits.
    Enter the TDEE value where it says to.

Read the first method that Deficit is 10-20% depending on amount to lose.
    There in green is your daily goal, each and every day.

Go to the last section where it tells you what to change in MFP to use that goal number.

Done.

After 5 lbs lost, redo stats and see how much changes. May not be enough to worry about.
  • cca1229
    cca1229 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. Yes I know TDEE. What I got here was within 40 calories of what I've been eating at for sometime. Before I began doing HIIT and just to be clear my HIIT routine is one of two things, either 20 minutes of Kettlebell swings or stationary bike, but all of this is keeping my heart rate pretty low, pretty much what I might get to while walking. Of course my instinct and programming wants me to cut more but I know that would just get me in more trouble in the long run.
  • heybales
    Options
    I'm planning on making a Simple tab, that would basically get your stats, ask some questions to calculate TDEE, and then pick the best deficit method, and hide all the math.
    Just present BMR, TDEE, and daily goal.

Then you could look at the BMR/TDEE tab for more details.

Now, question to any that care to comment

Should that Simple tab contain all the stats, and when you get to the BMR/TDEE tab it just shows what you entered there already? Much like the Macro's tab shows what's on the BMR tab right now.

Or allow you to go straight there and enter the info separately and not even use the Simple tab?
  • cca1229
    cca1229 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow, love the sound of the simple. For myself I would love it to contain all the stats but just in a simpler format. I love how it all carry's over to the other pages with what you might have put in on the very first page. Thanks for all your hard work.
  • njohnson1966
    njohnson1966 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Should that Simple tab contain all the stats, and when you get to the BMR/TDEE tab it just shows what you entered there already? Much like the Macro's tab shows what's on the BMR tab right now.

Or allow you to go straight there and enter the info separately and not even use the Simple tab?

I would think make Simple tab the default, anyone feeling the need to enter data at other tabs would probably understand the spreadsheet hidden math enough to figure out how to do this, depending on what they want.
  • heybales
    Options

I would think make Simple tab the default, anyone feeling the need to enter data at other tabs would probably understand the spreadsheet hidden math enough to figure out how to do this, depending on what they want.

I'm liking that idea too. I'm trying to see if Google spreadsheets has a macro for taking an entered value and placing it in another cell.

Kind of best of both worlds. Fill out the Simple Start tab, stats are copied else where automatically, but you can still go to the other tab and manually change them, for like seeing what happens after a while.

Love your fractals, btw.
  • awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    So I finally did this and also took ll my measurements. Now my head is going to explode. The good news is that might get me close to goal weight! :laugh: Thanks so much for sharing this great tool.
  • heybales
    Options
    So I finally did this and also took ll my measurements. Now my head is going to explode. The good news is that might get me close to goal weight! :laugh: Thanks so much for sharing this great tool.

it is a lot of numbers. You probably noticed the start of a Simple tab in beta to make it easier.

Just questions to answer, and few numbers given out.
  • daisylady1975
    daisylady1975 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to have a spreadsheet that was set up by the month and you put in your calories eaten and your calories burned and it gave the deficit automatically for the week. Does anyone know of a spreadsheet like this?
  • Addicted2_fitness
    Addicted2_fitness Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    bump (for later)
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    In box 1A, below where it says daily calories, should that column be red or am I meant to put things in the column next to the yellow column?

Sorry if i've missed something very obvious!
  • heybales
    Options
    In box 1A, below where it says daily calories, should that column be red or am I meant to put things in the column next to the yellow column?

Only change cells in yellow.

Daily calories based on Sedentary is based on your BMR, so that changes as BMR changes.

That's why the Simple Setup tab doesn't even show that.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Only change cells in yellow.

Daily calories based on Sedentary is based on your BMR, so that changes as BMR changes.

That's why the Simple Setup tab doesn't even show that.

Gotcha, thanks!
  • neoblues856
    Options
    u rock thank u!
  • heybales
    Options
    u rock thank u!

Not done yet!

Simple Setup beta tab to be integrated tonight - check back again tomorrow.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Bump to remind me to do again with new version.
  • heybales
    Options
    Ok, the Simple Setup tab is fully intergrated now.

And went through and tweaked as much as I could so the Excel conversion still looks good.

The math is right, visually some cells are too tight and need columns slightly expanded.

So the Simple Setup tab is the place to enter all your stats now.

They are displayed on the TDEE Deficit and MFP Tweak and Macros tab though, to be reminded in case you were testing numbers.

The TDEE Deficit tab still allows looking at alternate TDEE calculators, and entering your own TDEE value, and seeing the different deficit methods that might make sense.
    New Calorie Cycling deficit method for really doing body recomp, based on focus on lifting, no to little and only lite cardio.
    Bigger calories on lifting days, less on rest days, refeed every so often depending on BF% so hormones are reset.

The MFP Tweak tab is for when workouts are too variable, type and time, for an avg TDEE to work correctly.
    When you enter your reported calories burned from wherever, like HRM, it removes the same deficit and the already accounted for daily activity calories.

Other tabs stayed the same basically.
  • heybales
    Options
    Ok, for those that download as an Excel file, there is some formula on the HRM tab that doesn't convert well, and Excel is discarding or changing something.

I've been over the Excel and Google versions comparing and can't see anything that was changed except a bunch of parentheses are added, but the results are all the same.

So be aware there is an error on DL.

The Google spreadsheet has no problem of course since it was written there.

I made some formatting changes to numbers to day on the other tabs.