People wearing too much makeup...

Options

Replies

• ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    From experience I avoid woman with too much makeup, first thing that pops into my head is insecurity and lack of confidence.

Ridiculous statement concerning make up is a billion dollar industry and millions of women wear it. Wearing makeup does not show a lack insecurity it shows a woman is taking an interest in herself and wants to feel good bout herself.

Your statement reeks of INSECURITY AND LACK OF CONFIDENCE.

Couldn't disagree more! I love wearing make up and I am offended that you would 'avoid' me because you are stereotyping me as an individual as insecure and as having a lack of confidence! Completely untrue. I am very secure and happy with myself and have a lot of confidence. But you know what, I wouldn't want a narrow minded and what it seems perhaps an overly opinionated man showing interest in me anyway. . . you wouldn't even last 3 seconds with me.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I've had so many compliments on my makeup today ALONE I'm probably going to keep doing it like this FORRRR-EVVAAAAH!!
    Muwuwuwah, lovelies! :)

Beautious, but I think you need more lipstick.
  • wholelottarosa
    Options
    I really don't care how much makeup people are wearing or why. I prefer people without it, but whatever floats your boat is fine by me.

I have respect for people that know how to use eyeliner withouth looking like a diseased badger (it's the pretty much the only look I can manage so I prefer not to use any). I don't know what to do with foundation or lipstick or anything more complicated than mascara. I think I would probably look prettier with makeup, but I like my face the way it is.

People wearing too much perfume however....
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Eh never mind
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    From experience I avoid woman with too much makeup, first thing that pops into my head is insecurity and lack of confidence.

Ridiculous statement concerning make up is a billion dollar industry and millions of women wear it. Wearing makeup does not show a lack insecurity it shows a woman is taking an interest in herself and wants to feel good bout herself.

Your statement reeks of INSECURITY AND LACK OF CONFIDENCE.

Couldn't disagree more! I love wearing make up and I am offended that you would 'avoid' me because you are stereotyping me as an individual as insecure and as having a lack of confidence! Completely untrue. I am very secure and happy with myself and have a lot of confidence. But you know what, I wouldn't want a narrow minded and what it seems perhaps an overly opinionated man showing interest in me anyway. . . you wouldn't even last 3 seconds with me.

Sorry if you may feel offended by my opinion, however I get to live life as I want to since I have my own set of standards when choosing a life partner.

Unfortunately due to past experience I am hesitant to date any girl who cakes on makeup especially foundation for that matter.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options

i wear make up every day to work. and you know what, i look at other girls and i think just a little bit of eye-liner would really enhance your eyes. why not use a tool - the way we style our hair or use clothes - to enhance our features?

live and let live!
    :drinker: :drinker:

Don't you see that this seems just a little hypocritical? First you say a little eyeliner would enhance their eyes, then you say live and let live. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but why should someone else adhere to your standards and perceptions of (what I'm assuming is) beauty? If you really believe "live and let live" then next time you have those kinds of thoughts about other people remind yourself that live and let live happens in the brain (i.e thoughts) first before it can manifest into action and reality. With that said, I'd give you a flower in the form of an emoticon if I knew the code. I don't want to upset you, I just wanted to point it out. We ALL do this in one way or another so I am really not trying to pick on you specifically. I think it just makes the point that those who don't wear make-up are often discussed more than those who do conform and apply make-up.

Aside from the really artistic make-up (because that is a different topic), wearing make-up adheres to a man-made (and consumer driven) perception of beauty. It is held together by our collective need for community (we wear similar uniforms---that can actually go for those who wear it and for those who don't). I don't think it is necessarily wrong or ugly to wear make-up (although animal testing is indeed very ugly), but I think if you care to be a reflective and broad-thinking individual it is important to know where the need to wear it is coming from. The reason you cannot say the same for non-makeup wearers is not wearing makeup is our natural state (it is similar to the argument of atheist and theist. Atheism is our natural state putting something on or believing in something above and beyond what we have or already know is a man-made construct. Please don't think I'm equating make-up with the belief in god, it was just an example). I know people will say crikey it's just make-up! Which is true, but like every decision we make there are actually deep personal, social, and political issues at play here if we care to use our critical thinking skills.

Gah, I can't believe I got roped into this thread! Okay that's all you'll hear from me--carry on wearing make-up or not~cheers all. :)
  • facingfortyfierce
    facingfortyfierce Posts: 5,156 Member
    Options
    @Sick_Beard....You are getting an unfair lashing ;)

A long time ago, and it still sticks with me to this day, someone said this to me at 13...and you reminded me of him....
    (in a good way!)

"Make-up can be used to enhance beauty.....or cover up a whole lot of ugly!" ;)
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I've had so many compliments on my makeup today ALONE I'm probably going to keep doing it like this FORRRR-EVVAAAAH!!

Why thank you! Someone else said I should use the same shade for blush so I'll glob a few circles on my cheeks and see how it offsets my pukey green eye color. Great ideas... I'll do that tonight! Y'all are the best!
  • z149189
    z149189 Posts: 57
    Options
    And I have to say, I get irritated when I hear women say "I wear makeup because I want to look good and present myself well"

Well that's all nice and all.
    But what is wrong with thinking the package is nice without all that makeup.

I don't wear makeup on a regular basis, and I present myself just fine.

^^A thousand times this!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Why thank you! Someone else said I should use the same shade for blush so I'll glob a few circles on my cheeks and see how it offsets my pukey green eye color. Great ideas... I'll do that tonight! Y'all are the best!

You look really pretty.
  • caramelbaloney
    Options
    To all the "who cares what other people do?" attitudes: personal actions do not exist in a vacuum. The things you do have an effect. If one woman puts on makeup because she thinks it makes her look and feel better, then another woman may see her, think the same, and also put on makeup, and so on. A feedback gets created where a made-up face becomes the standard of what looks better, so more women who don't wear it are made to feel insecure and end up wearing it. It is completely understandable that women would feel they are supposed to or need to wear it, but unfortunately they are then judged and criticized for not having confidence. It's hardly their fault when the public standard of what women should look like has become far from natural (look at any media) and they conform to that standard. However, they should recognize that by doing so, they inadvertently promote the standard and pressure others to buy into it.

And as for "who cares, it's just makeup" attitudes, nearly $170 billion US is spent globally on cosmetics and perfume each year. That's hardly trivial.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Stupidest thing I've heard all day.

kiss-*kitten*.jpg

Next.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    And I have to say, I get irritated when I hear women say "I wear makeup because I want to look good and present myself well"

Well that's all nice and all.
    But what is wrong with thinking the package is nice without all that makeup.

I don't wear makeup on a regular basis, and I present myself just fine.

^^A thousand times this!

A thousand, thousand times this.

Women who choose NOT to wear makeup should not be made to feel as if they aren't 'presenting' themselves well. That's nonsense. But women ARE made to feel as if makeup is a MUST. In big corporations and professional environments women are OFTEN pressured to wear makeup because without makeup they're considered to be 'unpolished'. Well that's nonsense and as a woman I absolutely hate it.

Isn't it bad enough I feel I'm not pretty because I'm fat? Now I have to feel like I'm not pretty because I don't wear make up too? REALLY?
  • nikilively
    Options
    I like how most of the men seem to assume if we wear too much makeup we are insecure, etc.
    What's so wrong about wanting to look nice. If we think we look nice with cover-up because it makes our skin look softer, eyeliner/mascara, because it defines our eyes, eyebrow liner because otherwise you can't see them or something or any makeup for any reason. Who cares?

The base point was, most times, we don't do it for other people.

Personally, I wear makeup so I look good for myself, I enjoy looking my best. But my opinion of looking my best is most likely entirely different than other people's. It varies with each individual person. So if we were trying to impress other people because we are insecure, it would be impossible.

You can't please everyone. So if we please ourselves with the amount or lack of makeup we use. That's all that matters.

You will never find a group of people who are 100% support of anything you do. So do things that make YOU happy.

/endrant

Btw, I'm new the forums, but hello <3
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    HONESTLY...MAKE UP HAS BEEN AROUND SOOOOO LONGGGGGG NOW..... That I really don't understand why this is even being debated so long.

At one point for men and women. As high heels were first worn by men. (Butchers, to keep above the carnage) make up was once worn by men too for whatever reason specific to the many cultures.

It's really not a big deal.

Lets debate shampoo, deodorant, bathing or perfume next. Fashion? Powdered wigs?

I mean seriously.

*sorry if I sound cranky this time, I have a huge migraine from testing and techn complications* :cry:
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    oh for f@cks sake......let people do what they want....why does it bother you! who cares!!!!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Well... You can wear as much makeup as you want... If it fits you and you apply it well. You can put on preconcealers of colour, preconcealers of light-shadow, foundation, concealers, powder, blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, fake eyelashes, mascara for lashes, makeup for eyebrows, lipstick, gloss and shimmering powder... But be sure you make it in a right way.

For example: avoid to mix cold colours and warm colours... Use complimentary colours between the colours you're putting on for makeup... and the ones that fits with your skin tone, colour of eyes, hair's colour...

Word of Make Up Artist...

I completely disagree, I love to mix cool and warm colors! makes them pop!

I wear a full face every day for work (MAC) and I never do the same thing twice, makeup "rules" don't really exist.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Personally I think makeup is a pain. I didn't need it when I was youger but as an older lady I kind of need it now when I get dressed up or sometimes I feel like looking better when I'm out running errands. But mostly I don't wear it. I find it to be a pain and I hate the chore of removing it.

I have some friends who wear it a lot, even to the gym. People judge them. But this one lady who cakes it on is just the sweetest lady in the world. I figure to each their own. Having this friend has helped me to learn to no judge others who wear it.
  • teenXidle
    teenXidle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I freaking love you. Over the years i have gotten really talented at applying makeup and i absolutely hate when people tell me i wear "too much." what they don't realize is that i have trichotillomania. i have to fill in my brows and wear false eyelashes everyday to look normal and not feel insecure. i even wear full makeup to the gym. i don't choose to, obviously..but that's what ive been dealing with for awhile now. I just have to brush off comments and accept the way i look. but i don't look too bad with it and can pull heavy makeup :) i kinda like feeling glamorous and turning heads!
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of cake faces.