is it worth the money to buy shakeology

Options

Replies

• BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options

So, if your calories target is 1500 and you are going to eat one full meal at 800 calories, you would need about 4 shakes at $4 each?? Also, have you conveniently neglected to disclose that you have a vested interest because you sell this stuff?

Last I checked, no advertising allowed on MFP. So while I have a vested interest, my vested interest can not be obtained while discussing it on MFP Forums per the rules/policies. Also, I used the products before I even became a coach. And based on your logic.....you should not buy anything that Jamie Eason, Steve Cook, Kai Greene, Kris Gethin, Jillian Michaels, The Rock, Mark Wahlberg etc recommend because guess what? The majority of them are paid reps for different supplement company's. So they also have a vested interest. So don't listen to them on their supplements either. Oh, also don't use anything your personal trainers at your gyms tell you to purchase because they make 3-15% commission on the supplements you purchase at those gyms. Oh wait, don't let me leave out Les Mills either as Jericho, Dan, and others are now Team Beachbody Coaches recommending TBB products and other supplements as well.

By the way I use some supplements from ON and EFX. So I shouldn't have listened to the ads etc about the ON BCAA or Chad Shaw on the supps he recommends or the ones Steve Cook recommends? Which by the way, I highly recommend several of ON's items and EFX's. However, this subject was centered around Shakeology. And I gave my thoughts on it. No one ever said that to use Shakeology you would drink 4 of them each day.
  • BradHallFitness
    Options
    And really weight loss/gain is %100 about calories......

Very true. For weight loss calories out > calories in. Weight gain calories in > calories out. But the quality of those calories is still important. Every PT I know (be it a vegan PT or my hardcore Crossfit Paleo friends) have told me the same thing, "Quality of the calories is very important." If it wasn't then why would you be eating the Fage brand of Greek Yogurt? Why not Yoplait that is less expensive (at least here in my area)?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

So, if your calories target is 1500 and you are going to eat one full meal at 800 calories, you would need about 4 shakes at $4 each?? Also, have you conveniently neglected to disclose that you have a vested interest because you sell this stuff?

Last I checked, no advertising allowed on MFP. So while I have a vested interest, my vested interest can not be obtained while discussing it on MFP Forums per the rules/policies. Also, I used the products before I even became a coach. And based on your logic.....you should not buy anything that Jamie Eason, Steve Cook, Kai Greene, Kris Gethin, Jillian Michaels, The Rock, Mark Wahlberg etc recommend because guess what? The majority of them are paid reps for different supplement company's. So they also have a vested interest. So don't listen to them on their supplements either. Oh, also don't use anything your personal trainers at your gyms tell you to purchase because they make 3-15% commission on the supplements you purchase at those gyms. Oh wait, don't let me leave out Les Mills either as Jericho, Dan, and others are now Team Beachbody Coaches recommending TBB products and other supplements as well.

By the way I use some supplements from ON and EFX. So I shouldn't have listened to the ads etc about the ON BCAA or Chad Shaw on the supps he recommends or the ones Steve Cook recommends? Which by the way, I highly recommend several of ON's items and EFX's. However, this subject was centered around Shakeology. And I gave my thoughts on it. No one ever said that to use Shakeology you would drink 4 of them each day.

Way to dodge the issue. You did not give disclosure of the fact that you sell the product before you offered your opininion. Thats not selling. It's called being honest. You might want to try it sometime.

You would be correct, I don't listen to any of the people you listed nor do I depend on any "celebrity" recommedations. Also don't purchase products from trainers at the gym. I do my own research. To me, when a person get's paid to recommend something, they automatically lose their objectivity and thus thier credibility. You would be a case in point as proved by your need to list a bunch of celebrity names to defend "your product". (my quote, not yours)
  • BradHallFitness
    Options
    Way to dodge the issue. You did not give disclosure of the fact that you sell the product before you offered your opininion. Thats not selling. It's called being honest. You might want to try it sometime.

You would be correct, I don't listen to any of the people you listed nor do I depend on any "celebrity" recommedations. Also don't purchase products from trainers at the gym. I do my own research. To me, when a person get's paid to recommend something, they automatically lose their objectivity and thus thier credibility. You would be a case in point as proved by your need to list a bunch of celebrity names to defend "your product". (my quote, not yours)

I'll borrow ACG's term here "strong reading comprehension"? The OP asked a question, "is it worth it". I gave my opinion on it with no expectation of gaining anything. If the OP purchases it, I gain nothing. Just the way it works. So yes, I gave my honest opinion of the product that I've stood behind since first using the product last year. He did not ask me for a background check, my occupation or qualifications. He asked an open-ended question on if it's worth it. I gave my opinion on it and how it worked for me. And after reading the profiles of those responding against it and for it, well there are strong opinions one way or another. We can agree or disagree. Either way, I gain nothing from the OP by him purchasing it and gave an honest opinion on if it's worth it. Value is determined by each person and their own opinions.

And if we have to preface all posts by saying if we have affiliations with any company in any way.....Well I've not read that forum policy. And if there is one, then by all means please post your credentials and affiliations as well.
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I'll borrow ACG's term here "strong reading comprehension"? The OP asked a question, "is it worth it". I gave my opinion on it with no expectation of gaining anything. If the OP purchases it, I gain nothing. Just the way it works. So yes, I gave my honest opinion of the product that I've stood behind since first using the product last year. He did not ask me for a background check, my occupation or qualifications. He asked an open-ended question on if it's worth it. I gave my opinion on it and how it worked for me. And after reading the profiles of those responding against it and for it, well there are strong opinions one way or another. We can agree or disagree. Either way, I gain nothing from the OP by him purchasing it and gave an honest opinion on if it's worth it. Value is determined by each person and their own opinions.

And if we have to preface all posts by saying if we have affiliations with any company in any way.....Well I've not read that forum policy. And if there is one, then by all means please post your credentials and affiliations as well.

While I may not completely agree on whether Shakeology is worth the price. I do agree with you that you only offered your opinion and not trying to sell to the OP.
  • mmapags
    Options

Unlike you, I have no affiliation where I am paid to promote a product. You do.There is no policy that requires this disclosure that I am aware of. Only the dictates of integrity. You are a paid representative. And yes, I believe anyone who represents a product should disclose that before giving a recommendation. Why not? What do you have to hide? Matt Wild, another member on here is a spokesperson for Gaspari. He includes that in his ticker and profile. Why not? He has nothing to hide.
  • mmapags
    Options
    And really weight loss/gain is %100 about calories......

Very true. For weight loss calories out > calories in. Weight gain calories in > calories out. But the quality of those calories is still important. Every PT I know (be it a vegan PT or my hardcore Crossfit Paleo friends) have told me the same thing, "Quality of the calories is very important." If it wasn't then why would you be eating the Fage brand of Greek Yogurt? Why not Yoplait that is less expensive (at least here in my area)?

And there is little proof of the quality of Shakeology products as has been already established.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have wondered about it too and it turned out one of my friends on here is a beach body coach and was nice enough to send me samples. I haven't tried them yet because I am pregnant and not sure if I should try a new product now but will be trying the after the baby is born. Another friend of mine on here takes it everyday and loves it but it is expensive from what she tells me so I would try it before investing in it in case you do not like it.
  • HeyAlexLooksGood
    Options
    I like the shakes from diet direct.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    let me give it a try:

yes if you ask a beachbody salesperson

no if you ask the rest of us...
  • Runner50266
    Options

prove to me it isn't. see, we're both hypothesizing with no info to back it up, except for the fact that i don't get sick and my digestion and energy levels are awesome. :)

Yes it's worth it. But to be honest with you, you are asking a very biased crowd here on MFP. The majority of MFP'ers will be happy to point you to Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian, super high protein fad diets, high carb diets, Engine 2 diet and many more that they have never used and have barely read about. But if you mention Shakeology, Advocare or any other item of the sort you will get the trolls coming out saying it's not worth it. Even the ones that try it, and then say it didn't do anything after 1 week of use....well let's be honest. Using anything for 1 week or even 1 month isn't going to make you look like Adonis or give you so much energy you'll be jumping/bouncing off the walls. If someone told you that Shakeology will give you loads of energy just with the first use.....WRONG. If someone told you that you will drop 30 pounds in one month using Shakeology......WRONG. Shakeology is much more than just a "protein shake" (as many seem to have labeled in this thread). It helps build your immune system thru natural ingredients and after longer use of the product and continued exercise, YES you will start to get more energy. On the other hand, those that have used it will be biased to say that yes it's worth it. Guess what, I use it and have for over a year. I completed 2 round of P90X before using any Beachbody supplements. I was still sluggish/groggy during the day and had tons of cravings all the time. I wasn't eating nearly as clean as I would have liked to. So I cleaned up my nutrition. Still little change in how I felt overall. So on my 3rd round of P90X I ordered Shakeology and P90X R&R. Took about a month or so (yes I continued on with P90X and cleaning up my nutrition) and my cravings started to go away and were finally gone. I had also hit a weight loss plateau at 192 pounds. Adding in Shakeology once a day broke that plateau. How do I know? Because I tried breaking the plateau for 2 months using exercise and nutrition alone. Didn't work for me. Shakeology did.

So the honest response, if someone has approached you about using it. You've got nothing to lose except weight/body fat for trying it, though I will say it's best that you present the ingredient list to your doctor if you have any history or family history of different medical conditions. Oh, NOT just for Shakeology, but for ANY supplement you purchase and use, take the ingredient list to your doctor or nutritionist and make sure it isn't gonna hurt you. If you don't like it or it doesn't work. Don't use it. It's a tool to help you reach your goal.

And by the sounds of it, you need to get some skin in the game to stick with your weight loss goals. The majority of folks I see go the super cheap or free route......take off some weight and then gain it back. Because they don't have anything invested in getting to their goals.

That's pretty harsh and generalizes everyone (except of course you). I guess if they don't agree with you they are a troll. You would have a lot more credibility if you spoke reasonably instead of with judgement.
  • mmapags
    Options
    let me give it a try:

yes if you ask a beachbody salesperson

no if you ask the rest of us...

Well put!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    to the OP, here have been my reactions to shakeology use, every day, for the last 6 months.

1) improved digestion
    2) improved energy
    3) i have not gotten sick ONCE, and if i feel that tickle coming on, I drink an extra shake, pop a zinc lozenge, and it passes. my immune system is friggin amazing

yes, i have also worked out consistently. yes, i have also overhauled the rest of my diet and don't do dairy and processed food, but I cant argue with the way I feel and how my body works right now.

I'm 26, I live in NYC, and I'm a waiter. I can barely afford to buy shakeology every month, but I do because I love how I feel. I was as skeptical as everyone else at first. Bought a bag, tried to make it last as long as possible by drinking it every few days, but eventually realized I'd benefit more if I drank it regularly. So I do, and I love it.

Feel free to bash all you want, but that's my honest to god experience.
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    I'm going to try it for health benefits. I had high cholesterol in January, lowered it to borderline in June by watching diet and doing more exercise. All summer I've been doing even more in regards to both of these. So tomorrow I'm getting my cholesterol checked again just to see where it's at. Next, I'm gonna try the Shakeology and continue what I've been doing. Then in another six months or so I'll see if anything changes. I now consider myself a health nazi-- so my own test here should be a good indication if this stuff is legit or not. Feel free to add me as a friend as I doubt I'll check this thread again since my arrival here was completely random today.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump
  • esl269
    esl269 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is like reading testimonials about how shake weights have radically turned a person's life around, found them the perfect spouse, and cured them of cancer (And all this could be yours at the low, low price of $1500 a year).

I really got into the wrong field. You can literally sell anything, so long as you throw "diet" in the description somewhere, and the more you charge for it, the more confidence people will have in it. I started drinking English Breakfast tea and, since I started, I have never gotten sick, I can run farther, and I've been able to lift more weight than I could at the start. Now, who wants to bid on a box of my English Breakfast?
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    1.png
    2.png
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    shakeology is overpriced crap
  • Bobbie_89
    Bobbie_89 Posts: 146
    Options
    some are going to have different thought about the shake...Me personally I've never drank it so I wouldn't know, but I've heard both good and bad about it. I rather eat my calories (since I love food anyways lol) then drink them with a shake. All you can really do is just buy it and try it out. It may work with your body but you'll never know till you try it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    170 cals for 16 grams protein? No thanks. I'll stick to ON. Better profile, and better price. Oh, and I don't have to support an MLM company. :)