Read this and then make jerky comments.

Options
stephdeeable
stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
First, I'd like to state this is not a "OMG PPL ON MFP ARE SO MEAN AND I HATE IT! WAAAH" thread. Because I realize of course some people on here are going to be jerks, jerks are everywhere. I don't even involve myself with them. Also, a lot of the time, it's more funny than mean and some people can just be sensitive..etc.. Also, I'm a pretty big jerk sometimes, and it's kind of great.

But, something that really gets on my nerves is people complaining about people asking the same questions over and over. Who cares. Yes, every day there are new threads asking about water, eating back exercise calories, certain diet or fitness programs, etc. I realize this can seem annoying, but I would never complain about it or say something snarky to the question asker because

1) No one is forcing me to read any thread

2) Not everyone knows what you know. Not everyone has been here for weeks, months, years. Just because you've had the conversation before, doesn't mean they have. Sure, the could easily search the forum for old conversations...but they want to experience it themselves, speak to new people about it, make friends and find support not experience it second hand by reading month old threads that they can't contribute to.

I don't know the exact number, but let's say 80 kajillion new people join MFP each day, aren't they entitled to discover and experience and learn at their own rate?

Do you stand in the library and slap books out of peoples hands while screaming "DON'T READ THAT BOOK. I'VE ALREADY READ IT. LET ME SUMMARIZE IT FOR YOU!" Probably not. But if you do, I'd enjoy watching this. Please let me know.

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    So, can I just clarify what you are expecting here? You want people to read THIS thread and make jerky comments?
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    Awesome! =D
  • stephdeeable
    Options
    It's called a joke, my friend. :)
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    real talk.
  • toberdawg
    Options

Do you stand in the library and slap books out of peoples hands while screaming "DON'T READ THAT BOOK. I'VE ALREADY READ IT. LET ME SUMMARIZE IT FOR YOU!" Probably not. But if you do, I'd enjoy watching this. Please let me know.

This is funny and glorious analogy. I agree 100%.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    lol i think u make a lot of sense...i tend to be more on the sarcastic side BUT on mpf i tend to withhold myself from being sarcastic. the way i see it, if i dont like a thread for x reason, then i get out of it. if one of my friends is constantly saying things that i dont like or want to hear, i simply delete them. thats the beauty of online. so because i can get rid of dumb ppl or dumb conversations i am less sarcastic online than in real life....wish i had a delete button in real life... :)
  • danimal5867
    Options
    Well said.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    First, I'd like to state this is not a "OMG PPL ON MFP ARE SO MEAN AND I HATE IT! WAAAH" thread. Because I realize of course some people on here are going to be jerks, jerks are everywhere. I don't even involve myself with them. Also, a lot of the time, it's more funny than mean and some people can just be sensitive..etc.. Also, I'm a pretty big jerk sometimes, and it's kind of great.

But, something that really gets on my nerves is people complaining about people asking the same questions over and over. Who cares. Yes, every day there are new threads asking about water, eating back exercise calories, certain diet or fitness programs, etc. I realize this can seem annoying, but I would never complain about it or say something snarky to the question asker because

1) No one is forcing me to read any thread

2) Not everyone knows what you know. Not everyone has been here for weeks, months, years. Just because you've had the conversation before, doesn't mean they have. Sure, the could easily search the forum for old conversations...but they want to experience it themselves, speak to new people about it, make friends and find support not experience it second hand by reading month old threads that they can't contribute to.

I don't know the exact number, but let's say 80 kajillion new people join MFP each day, aren't they entitled to discover and experience and learn at their own rate?

Your last paragraph made me laugh. Totally had a picture of someone slapping a book out of someone else's hands. :laugh:
    But yes, agreed. If you have already read and answered three other threads on drinking water or eating under 1200 calories, just skip the new one. Move on, peeps.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options

This sounds fun....
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    we've come full circle. a thread about the threads about people being mean in threads.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

BEST MENTAL PICTURE EVER!!!:laugh: that is all
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's called a joke, my friend. :)

touché, as was my comment :)
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I really liked this post, besides this part: "Also, a lot of the time, it's more funny than mean and some people can just be sensitive..etc.. Also, I'm a pretty big jerk sometimes, and it's kind of great."

I don't find jerks funny or great.

But I do like the message behind this post - giving everyone a chance to learn and grow. People go at their own pace, and it's great when we can rally behind everyone in encouragement instead of frustration, immaturity, etc. If people post something you've already exhausted, just move on to a different post :)
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    amen
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Leathery and spicy.
  • stephdeeable
    Options
    lol i think u make a lot of sense...i tend to be more on the sarcastic side BUT on mpf i tend to withhold myself from being sarcastic. the way i see it, if i dont like a thread for x reason, then i get out of it. if one of my friends is constantly saying things that i dont like or want to hear, i simply delete them. thats the beauty of online. so because i can get rid of dumb ppl or dumb conversations i am less sarcastic online than in real life....wish i had a delete button in real life... :)

I know, I have a very sarcastic, dark sense of humour and I tend to hold back on here because it's too hard to convey tone on the internet and I don't want a joke to turn into a 30 page post about how mean I am, haha.
  • stephdeeable
    Options
    I really liked this post, besides this part: "Also, a lot of the time, it's more funny than mean and some people can just be sensitive..etc.. Also, I'm a pretty big jerk sometimes, and it's kind of great."

I don't find jerks funny or great.

But I do like the message behind this post - giving everyone a chance to learn and grow. People go at their own pace, and it's great when we can rally behind everyone in encouragement instead of frustration, immaturity, etc. If people post something you've already exhausted, just move on to a different post :)

I'm a jerk in a funny way though. I would never try to hurt someones feelings, and if I do by accident, it make me feel like an arsehole.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

Library no, books store maybe.:laugh:

As for the same questions over and over. There is a search option while not great - and the forums are full of crap and you have to search through a lot to find what you want but there is also google, When I want to know something and can't find exactly what i want on the forums I google it because I am sure its on the forums but lost and I do not want to bombard a million people with a question that was answered yesterday and if I can't find it on google than I go to the forums. But in all honesty some of the the questions I have read are ridiculous and should be fairly common knowledge and it does get annoying opening a thread and reading it going back opening the next one and bam its the same question posted an hour after the last one. I usually don't comment on them but truth is it gets annoying.
  • lrtoland
    Options

^^Amen, sista!! People are quite a bit snarkier (is that a word?) online than in real life. After all, they can hide behind their computers!! But this quote had me laughingXD Can I add you as a friend??
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Beef jerky?