Read this and then make jerky comments.

Options

Replies

• gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Do you stand in the library and slap books out of peoples hands while screaming "DON'T READ THAT BOOK. I'VE ALREADY READ IT. LET ME SUMMARIZE IT FOR YOU!" Probably not. But if you do, I'd enjoy watching this. Please let me know.

This is funny and glorious analogy. I agree 100%.

I completely disagree. I think the analogy is a horrible one.

A more accurate analogy would be one in which someone goes to a library, but chooses not to read the books, and instead asks other people to summarize the books for them. Those people would prefer cliff notes.

A person who wants cliff notes or crib notes or whatever you want to call them either cannot or will not invest the time in reading the book that they were assigned. Instead, they are choosing for a synopsis, in the end, enabling them to worry less about learning the material and more about getting to an end result...it is a short cut, if you will.

Short cuts, don't help people. Short answers don't help people...and by the way, this is all my opinion...I am not an authority on anything. But from what I have experienced, people who want answers spoon fed to them, forget how to learn. The information they gain is almost pointless because it gets filed incorrectly in their brains. They don't know why they know something, or why something is, just that it is and they should accept it, almost on faith.

This is all hard work. I applaud the efforts of those who try, whether or not they succeed. To me, asking questions you can answer on your with a little effort is akin to not trying.

Exactly!!
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Face it. Some people are NOT smart enough to use Google. True story.
    [/quote]

I bet my mother doesn't know how to use it. She calls my iPod a "walkman". Enough said.
    [/quote]

Hahaha!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

The analogy is actually flawed.

To be accurate it would be to say that you are in a library, but instead of reading the books for reference you ask everyone in there for the answers...

If we're fixing analogies, can we fix the analogy fixes? It's more like going to a library and asking a group of librarians, can someone help me with this problem? The librarians that are tired of this question can let someone else answer and go take their break. In the smoking room, where people can talk endlessly about rating the person next to them and it never gets old or told to use the search. If all the librarians are tired of it, they can all go smoke together and figure out hot or not while the person waits for an answer or goes and looks it up herself.

No one in the analogy is a quiet reader who has the expectation of going to the library for peace and quiet. You're on a discussion forum. Not a quiet and read to yourself reference desk. For those that just want to read, put on your headphones and turn the page.

I once asked a question because had I tried to google it myself, I would have gotten tons of hits because the terms were so broad. However, I asked my question, someone very quickly and nicely gave me an explanation, and out of that, I also got a new term which I could google if I wanted. I didn't want to use the search for the same reason I didn't want to use google.

Also, don't the site rules ask you not to criticize people for posting a repeat topic? If this wasn't allowed, how many new threads would there really be?

That is wholly and entirely unfair - there are so many of us that break our freaking backs trying to help people. just because we might have a bit of helpful knowledge does NOT mean we are part of the newbie-hating snarktastic group of people that are pissed there are new people on this site that dont know anything yet.

it really truly hurts that so many people think that those who are further along toward their goals are automatically shallow impatient intolerant people. Thats not fair.

This place is not the new vs the successful. Its the wild and you know what? Theres no barriers between the fit and the fat - we are all here together and just because we have a lower bf % or a higher BMI does NOT dictate our personality toward helping people.

WE ARE NOT THE LIBRARIANS.

We are just other people in the library - it is NOT our job, we're just volunteering because we cant stand by and just NOT help.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

That is wholly and entirely unfair - there are so many of us that break our freaking backs trying to help people. just because we might have a bit of helpful knowledge does NOT mean we are part of the newbie-hating snarktastic group of people that are pissed there are new people on this site that dont know anything yet.

it really truly hurts that so many people think that those who are further along toward their goals are automatically shallow impatient intolerant people. Thats not fair.

This place is not the new vs the successful. Its the wild and you know what? Theres no barriers between the fit and the fat - we are all here together and just because we have a lower bf % or a higher BMI does NOT dictate our personality toward helping people.

We are just other people in the library - it is NOT our job, we're just volunteering because we cant stand by and just NOT help.

I don't think everyone in the break room is necessarily far along in their goals? I'm not judging people who are further along in their goals, most of those people are actually very inspirational to me. (Are you implying I haven't been successful? :laugh: I know you're not, but that's my point about misconstruing posts. :flowerforyou: ) That post wasn't a slam on people who participate in those threads, more of a slam on the fact that in chit chat the same threads can be repeated incessantly without criticism. My point was more that if you don't like it, go to the break room or keep reading and ignore the people asking for help.

Let's just remove the library analogy then. No one in a discussion forum is in a library. Or if we are, and you volunteer yourself to help, you've made it your business, which is different than someone walking up to you and insisting you help them. It's nice that you like to help. My post was referring to people who answer a post with, "Can't you use the search function?" or come into a thread entitled, "Starvation mode?" and complain that people made a post about starvation mode. It's rude and unnecessary, and quite frankly, they are the ones breaking the site rules, not the person who posted the 10th million starvation mode thread.

I guess I can see why you thought my post was a slam on the fit and thin because I chose to use the rate/hot or not reference, but that wasn't what it was about. If you prefer, substitute in "Only question" thread or "Why are people so mean?" threads. (Also, overall I am satisfied with my success even if I don't consider myself done. I'm not overweight myself and consider this a great site for continual self-improvement.)
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

But I'm pretty sure this thread addresses those people. If you aren't one of those people, it's not about you. I try to help people too and get PM's asking for my help. This has nothing to do with people helping anyone else. It has to do with people doing the opposite of that. There's no help in a snarky response.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

The analogy is actually flawed.

To be accurate it would be to say that you are in a library, but instead of reading the books for reference you ask everyone in there for the answers...

If we're fixing analogies, can we fix the analogy fixes? It's more like going to a library and asking a group of librarians, can someone help me with this problem? The librarians that are tired of this question can let someone else answer and go take their break. In the smoking room, where people can talk endlessly about rating the person next to them and it never gets old or told to use the search. If all the librarians are tired of it, they can all go smoke together and figure out hot or not while the person waits for an answer or goes and looks it up herself.

No one in the analogy is a quiet reader who has the expectation of going to the library for peace and quiet. You're on a discussion forum. Not a quiet and read to yourself reference desk. For those that just want to read, put on your headphones and turn the page.

I once asked a question because had I tried to google it myself, I would have gotten tons of hits because the terms were so broad. However, I asked my question, someone very quickly and nicely gave me an explanation, and out of that, I also got a new term which I could google if I wanted. I didn't want to use the search for the same reason I didn't want to use google.

Also, don't the site rules ask you not to criticize people for posting a repeat topic? If this wasn't allowed, how many new threads would there really be?

I never specified any people in my post. I never said successful people or what have you, just people. Some of the people telling others their question is stupid or unnecessary have only been here a few weeks themselves. People just assumed I was talking specifically about those who have met their goals. I was just talking.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Do you stand in the library and slap books out of peoples hands while screaming "DON'T READ THAT BOOK. I'VE ALREADY READ IT. LET ME SUMMARIZE IT FOR YOU!" Probably not. But if you do, I'd enjoy watching this. Please let me know.

This is funny and glorious analogy. I agree 100%.

I would die laughing if I saw this :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I have a hard time letting things go when someone says I've hurt them, so let me make this last attempt to clarify. The people I consider to be rude or shallow are not people who look awesome, but people who are belittling, cutting, and snide in attempts to casually put others down to make themselves seem so funny and above it all to their other snide friends. Or the women who are so above other women in an attempt to prove their awesomeness to the men here. Not all the people who meet this criteria look awesome (like you do, or like Sergeant Sunshine, for instance, whose arms I covet.) I've never seen a post from you that met that criteria, Yoovie.
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

I fricken love this part haha, hit the nail on the head!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky?

That's what I was thinking
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Leathery and spicy.
    tasty.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    First, I'd like to state this is not a "OMG PPL ON MFP ARE SO MEAN AND I HATE IT! WAAAH" thread. Because I realize of course some people on here are going to be jerks, jerks are everywhere. I don't even involve myself with them. Also, a lot of the time, it's more funny than mean and some people can just be sensitive..etc.. Also, I'm a pretty big jerk sometimes, and it's kind of great.

But, something that really gets on my nerves is people complaining about people asking the same questions over and over. Who cares. Yes, every day there are new threads asking about water, eating back exercise calories, certain diet or fitness programs, etc. I realize this can seem annoying, but I would never complain about it or say something snarky to the question asker because

1) No one is forcing me to read any thread

2) Not everyone knows what you know. Not everyone has been here for weeks, months, years. Just because you've had the conversation before, doesn't mean they have. Sure, the could easily search the forum for old conversations...but they want to experience it themselves, speak to new people about it, make friends and find support not experience it second hand by reading month old threads that they can't contribute to.

I don't know the exact number, but let's say 80 kajillion new people join MFP each day, aren't they entitled to discover and experience and learn at their own rate?

I lost the will to live after reading the first paragraphs of this. Are you making a point of some sort? if so, why not make it?
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    thank you!
  • lindathome
    lindathome Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Very possibly the funniest post and follow-up comments I've ever read on mfp :heart: :laugh:
  • stephdeeable
    Options
    First, I'd like to state this is not a "OMG PPL ON MFP ARE SO MEAN AND I HATE IT! WAAAH" thread. Because I realize of course some people on here are going to be jerks, jerks are everywhere. I don't even involve myself with them. Also, a lot of the time, it's more funny than mean and some people can just be sensitive..etc.. Also, I'm a pretty big jerk sometimes, and it's kind of great.

But, something that really gets on my nerves is people complaining about people asking the same questions over and over. Who cares. Yes, every day there are new threads asking about water, eating back exercise calories, certain diet or fitness programs, etc. I realize this can seem annoying, but I would never complain about it or say something snarky to the question asker because

2) Not everyone knows what you know. Not everyone has been here for weeks, months, years. Just because you've had the conversation before, doesn't mean they have. Sure, the could easily search the forum for old conversations...but they want to experience it themselves, speak to new people about it, make friends and find support not experience it second hand by reading month old threads that they can't contribute to.

I don't know the exact number, but let's say 80 kajillion new people join MFP each day, aren't they entitled to discover and experience and learn at their own rate?

I lost the will to live after reading 2 paragraphs of this utter bull**** and refuse to waste any more of my life reading any more.

Just so you know, it says in MFP's forum guidelines that people are encouraged to ask questions even if they have been covered BEFORE.

I couldn't write anything remotely ' jerky' as your post, though.

Haha, oh brother. Obviously you didn't read it :) This whole thing was about how I think everyone should be able to ask as many questions as many times as they want. Thanks for helping me make my point though :)
  • stephdeeable
    Options

I lost the will to live after reading the first paragraphs of this. Are you making a point of some sort? if so, why not make it?

My only point was that people should be nicer and more accepting of others. I think you need to read it again, friend. :)
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    People get annoyed becuase how hard is it to use the search function
    search-button2.png
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    can I post jerky pictures instead?

house-of-jerky-western-ostrich-close.jpg
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I hate people. This thread does not change my ideas about that.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me how many people do not possess knowledge of things that many of us consider common knowledge. Examples (and yes, I have encountered these people myself...sad but true):

1. A lady who could not understand what "fats" were in her diet (and thus could not figure out what a low-fat diet consisted of).
    2. MANY parents of babies/young children who do not even own a thermometer.
    3. People who do not realize that tylenol, ibuprofen, and aspirin are completely different medications.
    4. People who do not realize that many beverages contain sugar and then can't figure out why they aren't losing weight when they are drinking 6 or more cans of soda per day.
    5. Many people simply do not know what a portion size is supposed to be. (Most of us were probably in this category when we started our MFP/weight loss/healthy lifestyle journey. I know I was!)
    6. I knew a man who, upon waking in the morning with severe chest pain, proceeded to drink a cup of coffee and smoke a cigarette. Fortunately, when the pain didn't go away he called 911. Turned out he was having a massive heart attack.
    7. (Probably TMI) A lady who, when asked if she had been having diarrhea, replied "I don't know." She wasn't joking--she had no clue what the term meant.
    8. A lady who was not computer-savvy was trying to use her new computer. Keep in mind this conversation was over the phone. She was having multiple windows open on her screen and couldn't figure out how to make them go away. Every time she clicked on the "X" in the corner, another window would open. After much discussion (on my part) and tears (on her part), we determined that she was RIGHT clicking her mouse rather than LEFT clicking it. She just assumed that the right button was the correct one. (This person happens to be my mother-in-law, a very intelligent person. She is now much more tech-literate, and I love her to pieces. We laugh about this now).

The point is, you can't assume how much ANYONE knows about ANYTHING. Maybe people start new threads because the search function isn't bringing up anything that they feel speaks to their issue. Maybe they don't know what the push-pins and locks mean next to those topics at the top of the list (maybe they assume the lock means they are only accessible by certain people, or that they need a password to see those). Maybe they are new to discussion boards, or just don't have time to search through weeks and months of old posts. Who knows? If you don't feel like answering a particular question for the umpteenth time, don't. Move on to something else. If you find yourself responding the same way repeatedly and often to these kinds of posts, make a document you save on your computer. When you see that topic again, copy and paste it from your saved document rather than type it all out again. Either way, there's no need to bash people or be sarcastic (sarcasm doesn't always translate well, even when in person). What may seem obvious to one person is a brand-new revelation to someone else. Doesn't mean they are stupid, they just don't know. Let's try to be helpful, remember that we were once new to all of this too, and try to bring each other up rather than put each other down.

This is great :)